TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Yasser Arafat has "Hours to live"

Speculation of course, but it does seem ever increasingly likely, with a press conference called for 5pm GMT(about an hour and three quarters time)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3994667.stm

Yasser Arafat has 'hours to live' 

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has only hours to live, according to unnamed Palestinian officials quoted by news agencies.

Earlier, officials at the hospital near Paris where he is being treated said his condition had worsened and his coma had deepened.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei visited his bedside but left the hospital without making a statement.

Doctors have not explained the reasons for his illness.

Former Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, who also visited the hospital, said Mr Arafat's condition was "very serious", AFP news agency reported.

Mr Qurei is heading a delegation of Palestinian leaders who went to France to discover the truth about Mr Arafat's health.

They say information is being filtered by Mr Arafat's wife, Suha, who earlier accused them of conspiring against her husband.

Restricted visiting hours

Mr Qurei, Mr Abbas, Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath and the speaker of Palestinian Legislative Assembly, Rawhi Fattuh, arrived in Paris from Ramallah late on Monday.

They met French Foreign Minister Michel Barnier on Tuesday, and were due to meet French President Jacques Chirac.

Mrs Arafat reportedly said she would not allow the Palestinian officials to visit her husband.

The hospital also said that Mr Arafat's condition had compelled them to restrict visiting hours.

The men are due to hold a press conference at 1700 (1600 GMT).

Mr Arafat, a frail 75-year-old, was taken to a military hospital in Paris 11 days ago.

Israeli television at one point reported that he was dead. Other reports, rejected by Mrs Arafat, have suggested he is brain dead.

Tuesday's announcement about Mr Arafat's condition confirmed for the first time that he was in a coma.

On Monday, the Palestinian officials considered calling off the trip after a verbal attack from Mrs Arafat.

In an emotional telephone call to the Arabic TV station, al-Jazeera, she claimed the leaders were trying "to bury Arafat while he is still alive".

Deputy cabinet minister Sufian Abu Zaida responded that Mr Arafat was not his wife's "private property".

Mr Fattuh has demanded that Mrs Arafat apologise.

Guest MikeSC

Well, for the sake of irony, his family's plot is, apparently, a total shitbox. Completely overrun, as he didn't do anything to take care of it. Arafat EXPECTED to be buried in Jerusalem and he is going to be sorely disappointed.

-=Mike

Watch the UN step in and DEMAND he be buried there. Cause that is their main concern right now, where some massive ass will be buried.

Plus hasn't he had "hours to live" for the last week?

Guest MikeSC
Watch the UN step in and DEMAND he be buried there. Cause that is their main concern right now, where some massive ass will be buried.

Plus hasn't he had "hours to live" for the last week?

Hell, one of the rumors is that he's suffering from AIDS.

-=Mike

I'm still upset he's been in a coma. The fucker should have been in agonizing pain all this time. And I'm glad he's not getting buried in Jerusalem. Fuck him, a pauper's grave is probably more than he deserves.

Guest MikeSC
I'm still upset he's been in a coma. The fucker should have been in agonizing pain all this time. And I'm glad he's not getting buried in Jerusalem. Fuck him, a pauper's grave is probably more than he deserves.

If the story about how he's let his family's plot go to hell, a pauper's grave would actually be NICER.

-=Mike

Guest INXS

Sad news. At least he is being allowed to pass away in dignity, surrounded by his family, regardless to where he will be buried.

A great man who has fought hard for years to free the Palestinian people from continued oppression.

Why all the hate on here for Arafat? People here are clear that Arafat isn't organizing or condoning the suicide bombings that various Palestinian terrorist groups carry out, right?

Guest MikeSC
Sad news. At least he is being allowed to pass away in dignity, surrounded by his family, regardless to where he will be buried.

A great man who has fought hard for years to free the Palestinian people from continued oppression.

You really ARE as dumb as everybody thinks.

Why all the hate on here for Arafat? People here are clear that Arafat isn't organizing or condoning the suicide bombings that various Palestinian terrorist groups carry out, right?

Is the sun yellow in your fantasy world?

-=Mike

...Hey, Slapnuts, do you have any of the quotes of Arafat applauding suicide bombing and the like?

Hey Mike- look what I found!

MYTH

“The PLO had no role in fomenting intifada violence.”

FACT

Throughout the intifada, the PLO played a lead role in orchestrating the insurrection. The PLO-dominated Unified Leadership of the Intifada (UNLI), for example, frequently issued leaflets dictating which days violence was to be escalated, and who was to be its target.

In 1989, for example, the PLO declared February 13 a day for "escalating attacks on the collaborators" and "traitors" who work for the Civil Administration in the territories. The PLO's Baghdad radio station described methods of arson through which "the orchards and fields of the Zionist enemy can be set ablaze."6

The New York Times described the discovery of "a cache of detailed secret documents showing that the PLO hired local killers to assassinate other Palestinians and carry out 'military activity' against Israelis." One document described how the PLO wanted the attacks credited to fictional groups so as not to disturb the U.S.-PLO dialogue.7

Yasser Arafat defended the killing of Arabs deemed to be "collaborating with Israel." He delegated the authority to carry out executions to the intifada leadership. After the murders, the local PLO death squad sent the file on the case to the PLO. "We have studied the files of those who were executed, and found that only two of the 118 who were executed were innocent," Arafat said. The innocent victims were declared "martyrs of the Palestinian revolution" by the PLO.8

Palestinians were stabbed, hacked with axes, shot, clubbed and burned with acid. The justifications offered for the killings varied. Sometimes, being employed by the Civil Administration in the West Bank and Gaza Strip was reason enough. In other cases, contact with Jews warranted a death sentence. In October 1989, a Palestinian father of seven was knifed to death in Jericho after selling floral decorations to Jews who were building a succah. Accusations of "collaboration" with Israel were sometimes used as a pretext for acts of personal vengeance. Women deemed to have behaved "immorally" were also among the victims.9

The UNLI's calls for violence escalated after the 1990 Temple Mount riot in which 17 Arabs were killed.. Yasser Abd-Rabbo — formerly the PLO's interlocutor in its dialogue with the U.S. — declared that "the war of stabbing with knives against the usurpers of Jerusalem is just beginning."10

The PLO continued its efforts to foment violence throughout 1991. On March 3, the UNLI issued a communiqué calling for "increased confrontation" with Israeli forces in the West Bank and Gaza. Another PLO leaflet, issued in September, called for the "execution" of anyone who sells property in Jerusalem to Jews.11

According to the Israeli government, the PFLP alone carried out 122 terrorist attacks during 1991, resulting in the murders of 18 residents of Israel and the territories. Crimes committed by Fatah included the July 4 murder of a 61-year-old Arab villager near Jenin; the September killing of Israeli Sgt. Yoram Cohen and the October murder of a man found stabbed to death in a Gaza street, his head covered with a sack. A note bearing the words "Force-17," denoting Arafat's personal bodyguard, was found on the body.12

Later in the intifada, Hamas began to vie with the PLO for control of the uprising. In December 1992, for example, Hamas began to target IDF troops, killing four in several daring ambushes.

INXS, fucking educate yourself on the Palestine-Israel conflict before you type down your ignorance for the world (or even a wrestling board) to see.

Arafat is NOT a great man. He negotiated one measly peace treaty after years of slaughtering innocents, then broke it quickly (after getting lavished with the Nobel peace prize). He's never said he was wrong to target civilians. He is a worthless shit.

ali-g.jpg

INXS, you've got to learrrrrrn. Headucate yourself.

Give INXS credit for one thing.

He has a way of bringing Republicans, Democrats and Independents together as one even if only for a few posts.

Whoa there, bucko. Arafat has way to many ties to terrorism to be called "a great man."

Thanks, Bob. I haven't been posting the last couple days, because the AC Adaptor on my laptop died, and I have little energy left in the battery. The new one should arrive hopefully tommorow, Thursday at latest. I've been accessing the board from a computer lab, and have been reluctant to post from a public location. So I'll just pop in and say hi, and I'll be back in full force in a day or 2. Rust in peace, Mr. Arafat. ;)

You knew someone here was going to go down this road, and I'm not really surprised to see it was INXS.

Personally, I almost want Arafat to be buried in Jerusalem, just so that every single day a Jewish citizen can come by at their leisure and take a nice, big shit on the fucker's grave.

I know I would.

You knew someone here was going to go down this road, and I'm not really surprised to see it was INXS.

Personally, I almost want Arafat to be buried in Jerusalem, just so that every single day a Jewish citizen can come by at their leisure and take a nice, big shit on the fucker's grave.

I know I would.

Oooh grave defacation...that's a new one around here.

Guest Cerebus

I know I would.

Oooh grave defacation...that's a new one around here.

Normally, I would dissaprove.

On the other hand we are talking about Arafat.

Vyce, shit away! B-)

Guest UncleKimmyGibler

Yasser Arafat is dark, and sexy. He has power, that is sexy. Power like my man Mr.

Jesse Katsopolous

HOLA TANNERINOS

Give INXS credit for one thing.

He has a way of bringing Republicans, Democrats and Independents together as one even if only for a few posts.

LOL Great observation, anyway, heres an update on the situation, to try and drag this thread back to normality(although it may be too far gone for that), from the same URL as above

A team of senior Palestinian officials has arrived back in the West Bank after visiting the Paris hospital where Yasser Arafat is lying in a coma.

They are due to meet political parties and factions in Ramallah, Mr Arafat's headquarters, and may give updates on the veteran leader's condition.

The Israeli government has agreed to Palestinian plans to bury Mr Arafat in the town, ending weeks of speculation.

An Islamic cleric has arrived in France to be by the Palestinian leader's side.

Taissir Dayut Tamimi is said to be a close friend of the 75-year-old Mr Arafat.

Arafat may have given the Palestinians a voice, but the only word it seemed able to utter was No

John R Smith, UK

The Palestinian envoy to France, Leila Shahid, told French radio that Mr Tamimi was not coming "to disconnect" Mr Arafat.

"We think having a religious person beside him in these difficult moments is relevant," said Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath.

Mr Shaath, one of the team who visited the hospital on Tuesday, added that there was no question of switching off the life-support machine.

On his visit, he was accompanied by Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei, PLO deputy leader Mahmoud Abbas and Palestinian parliamentary speaker Rawhi Fattuh.

Among events scheduled for Wednesday in Ramallah are meetings of Mr Arafat's Fatah movement and the PLO executive committee.

Ramallah grave

The United States has told possible successors to Mr Arafat that it is ready to engage with them when appropriate, US Secretary of State Colin Powell said.

Mr Shaath said on Tuesday that Mr Arafat's brain, heart and lungs were still functioning and he was "alive".

He said he wanted to "rule out any question of euthanasia" to prematurely bring the leader's life to an end.

"He will live or die depending on his body's ability to resist and on the will of God," he added.

In Ramallah, Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erakat confirmed Mr Arafat would be buried there.

"There is no doubt that if President Arafat dies he will be buried at the Muqataa [as Mr Arafat's compound is known]," he told the AFP news agency.

The plan has been agreed on by the Israeli government, which ruled out burying Mr Arafat in Jerusalem.

Egypt has offered to host a funeral ceremony for Mr Arafat at the Arab League headquarters in Cairo, allowing Arab leaders to pay their respects without having to pass through Israel for the funeral.

Mr Arafat was taken to France on 29 October, leaving his battered headquarters for the first time in nearly three years. He had been suffering mystery stomach pains.

Doctors have confirmed that Mr Arafat's coma has deepened and that he suffered a brain haemorrhage. However, the reasons for his illness are still not clear.

Mr Shaath said doctors have ruled out cancer and poisoning. He added that Mr Arafat's long confinement in Ramallah by Israeli forces had contributed to his poor health.

Mrs Arafat's wife, Suha, has been controlling access to her husband and on Monday she accused other Palestinian leaders of conspiring against her husband.

They were, she told Arabic TV station al-Jazeera, trying "to bury Arafat while he is still alive".

There has been much confusion about Mr Arafat's condition.

Last week Israeli television reported that he was dead. Other reports, rejected by Mrs Arafat, have suggested he is brain dead.

Guest Nanks

It's in the above article, but in case people only skim read that, if at all, the Israelis have relented to let them bury Arafat in Jerusalem. Oh well, no public cremation...

It's in the above article, but in case people only skim read that, if at all, the Israelis have relented to let them bury Arafat in Jerusalem. Oh well, no public cremation...

No way the Israelis police could happen to forget to guard the gravesite and some group of citizens might happen to drop by with shovels and happen to dig him up.

Nope, not in a million years.

No sir.