TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

i remember Sable sitting at ringside once on a Nitro shortly after leaving the WWF. what was she doing there, were there any plans to bring her in?

I think the Death of WCW book said she was originally going to be the Hummer driver.

That was right after she sued the WWF, so I think Bischoff was trying to show up the WWF by having one of their stars on Nitro. They couldn't legally bring her in, though, due to her contractual status with the WWF, although I'm guessing if Sable's lawsuit had played out the way she wanted it to she would have been allowed to go to WCW. Marc Mero also appeared on a Thunder in 2000, but they couldn't bring him in for similar reasons.

Guest Frank_Nabbit
i remember Sable sitting at ringside once on a Nitro shortly after leaving the WWF.  what was she doing there, were there any plans to bring her in?

I think the Death of WCW book said she was originally going to be the Hummer driver.

I thought that was Carmen Elekra?

Guest Loss

Since we're talking about all things WCW, I thought I'd include this here just because it's an interesting tidbit.

Flair, in 1989, as booker, thought to both distinguish themselves from the WWF and be competitive, that they should raid the company of every single good worker on the roster. They reached out to Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Shawn Michaels, Marty Jannetty, Bret Hart and Curt Hennig.

Imagine that roster, coupled with the roster WCW already had in 1989-1990, and Arn and Tully returning. We could have conceivably had the following tag teams alone:

Bret & Owen Hart

The Rockers

The Midnight Express

The Rock & Roll Express

The Road Warriors

Rick & Scott Steiner

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard

The top roster probably would have consisted of Flair, Steamboat, Muta, Funk, Luger, Piper, Savage, DiBiase and Hennig.

Can you imagine how SICK that would be?

Guest drdrainoscott

While that would have been awesome, that is all pretty much fantasy as WCW was never really serious about most of them, specifically Savage and Piper, who were offered lower contracts then their current ones to work for the lesser company.

Jeez, that would have been awesome. Do you know if there was any chance of actually getting those guys? I know Hart mentioned it in his infamous Flair-bashing post last summer that Flair wanted to bring him in but had to renege on the offer - did negotiations get far with any of the others?

While that would have been awesome, that is all pretty much fantasy as WCW was never really serious about most of them, specifically Savage and Piper, who were offered lower contracts then their current ones to work for the lesser company.

They offered Savage and Piper LOWER contracts? Typical WCW.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned previously but a lot of people were suspicious that the Bischoff led regime's first ppv was titled 'The Big Bang Theory', and that this seemed to centre around the renewed main event push of Bischoff's good friend- DDP

I've actually got the last issue of WCW Magazine where the back cover has an advertisement for that PPV... I'll scan it in when I get home to show everyone...

Also... what was some of the stuff Tony Schivione saying on the last ever Nitro where people here have mentioned that he was going out in a blaze of glory just saying funny shit?

Regal tried to convince Vince not to buy WCW, saying it was crazy to buy something so worthless. Tony notes they too have done some crazy stuff, "like trying to put your ass over, William Regal!". That whole night was nuts.

Regal tried to convince Vince not to buy WCW, saying it was crazy to buy something so worthless. Tony notes they too have done some crazy stuff, "like trying to put your ass over, William Regal!". That whole night was nuts.

Just for the record...here's, as best I can remember, the quotes:

Regal: I've been to [WCW], it's a bloody awful place.

Shiavonne: We've done some crazy things over the years including putting YOUR ass over, Steve Regal.

Oh, and to the people who laugh about how bad Shiavone's commentarry was as the years went on...

I think the man was just bitter that he didn't get the job leading WCW that Bischoff took, since he was considered for it, I've read in some places.

Here, Chris. This thread made me want to read a recap of the Final Nitro, and I found the full quotes. CRZ is a beast.

Commissioner Regal shows off his WrestleMania jersey to Mr. McMahon - McMahon says yeah, it's nice, but why did he want to see him? "Oh, yes. Now, I've heard you're buying WCW - I mean, are you sure you want to do that? I mean, I know quite a lot about that place, and it's a bloody awful place, the nonsense that goes on there is unbelievable - I mean, I don't want to second guess you but are you really sure? I mean, there is rather a stench in the air and I wouldn't want to cause, you know, as much as I think of you, I wouldn't want you to get in any trouble above yourself or anything..."

Tony: "Needless to say, as we take a look at the cruiserweight tag team champs, we're very nervous, and....the first ever cruiserweight tag team champs come out, and...I don't want to sit here and, and as a person who's been on Nitro for many years, take issue with anything anyone's said - Mr. McMahon...it's his money, he can do whatever he wants, he can...I don't know what he's gonna do tonight, but...let me say this: to sit here and listen to their commissioner...*rip* WCW? Come on. I mean, we've had to do some crazy things, *Steve Regal,* including put *your* ass over on TV. Sorry." Ooh, it's getting REAL - Tony's voice actually *broke* there.

Since we're talking about all things WCW, I thought I'd include this here just because it's an interesting tidbit.

Flair, in 1989, as booker, thought to both distinguish themselves from the WWF and be competitive, that they should raid the company of every single good worker on the roster. They reached out to Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Shawn Michaels, Marty Jannetty, Bret Hart and Curt Hennig.

Imagine that roster, coupled with the roster WCW already had in 1989-1990, and Arn and Tully returning. We could have conceivably had the following tag teams alone:

Bret & Owen Hart

The Rockers

The Midnight Express

The Rock & Roll Express

The Road Warriors

Rick & Scott Steiner

The top roster probably would have consisted of Flair, Steamboat, Muta, Funk, Luger, Piper, Savage, DiBiase and Hennig.

You even shortchanged yourself a bit there, too.

Don't forget Sting and Brian Pillman, although Pillman in the upper card is debatable. I'm only referencing him due to the US Title shot he received at Halloween Havoc against Lex Luger.

Guest Loss

You are correct. Barry Windham would also return in 1990.

It's conceivable that they could have had full shows without a single bad match with that roster, unless they paired Luger with someone who sucked or gave Sid a big push.

Bret & Owen Hart

The Rockers

The Midnight Express

The Rock & Roll Express

The Road Warriors

Rick & Scott Steiner

You even shortchanged yourself a bit there, too.

Don't forget Sting and Brian Pillman, although Pillman in the upper card is debatable. I'm only referencing him due to the US Title shot he received at Halloween Havoc against Lex Luger.

Sounds like a decent fantasy thread in the making: "WCW 1989-94: The TSM Way" or something more creatively named than that.

-Ben

In the spirit of keeping this thread going, tell me something interesting (if you can) that I probably wouldn't have known about:

-Ciclope or Damian

-Road Block

-High Voltage

-Mike Enos

-Prince Iaukea

-Barbarian

-Jack Boot

-Sgt. Craig Pittman

In the spirit of keeping this thread going, tell me something interesting (if you can) that I probably wouldn't have known about:

-Ciclope or Damian

-Road Block

-High Voltage

-Mike Enos

-Prince Iaukea

-Barbarian

-Jack Boot

-Sgt. Craig Pittman

Ciclope - Was involved in the absolutely awesome Luchadore Hardcore Match if I remember correctly.

Damian - Went under the name Galaxy during Sting's time hanging in the rafters, as having two guys with black facepaint was apparently bad.

Roadblock - He actually carried a roadblock down to the ring with him. He wrestled without a shirt once or twice, but mercifully, that stopped. He was a really bad wrestler who made rookie mistakes despite having been wrestling a couple years once he came into WCW.

High Voltage - To fulfill their one-sided deal with NJPW, WCW sent High Voltage over to Japan for a year. Kenny Kaos was part of that Tag Title debacle with Bagwell and his mother. Rage was released in the winter of '99.

Mike Enos - Got attacked by Scott Hall during the historical Nitro. Was thrust into the Tag Team Title Tournament, teaming with Bobby Duncum, Jr.

Prince Iaukea - Had quite the nice career, as won the TV Title from Regal, was pushed heavily for two or three months, then became a JTTS for several years, and got the brief push from Sullivan and Russo. He was released in the summer of 2000 if I remember correctly.

Barbarian - "What you say... Eat your lunch!" My fondest memory is him saying that, and then delivering the Kick of Fear to Chavo for a quick pin.

Jack Boot - All I remember is him being used a jobber.

Pittman - WCW paid him an obscene amount of money to train for a UFC appearance that never happened. Was absolutely hilarious during his appearances destroying jobbers.

Guest drdrainoscott

Here's a juicy one I just read...

In response to Flair coming on WWF TV as the "Real World's Champion", at the 11/11/91 television taping WCW was going to have Lex Luger come out and challenge any World Champion to a match to see who was the better champ. Obviously Flair and Hogan were the targets, but the only person who would accept the challenge would be Jerry Lawler. Luger and Lawler would then have a match, or series of matches, and the winner would be declared the new NWA champion, which would replace the WCW title as the major belt on WCW TV.

This was all signed and ready to take place, but then Jerry Jarrett backed out of the deal feeling that the storyline had leaked and too many people knew about it already. Interestingly, Paul Heyman was blamed for the leak and was suspended, which is why he wasn't on TV before starting back at Halloween Havoc by introducing Rick Rude.

Once that idea failed, WCW tried to bring Bret Hart in (as is well known), but he was going to bring the IC title with him and appear on the Clash show in Jan. 1992. That deal had been signed as well, however Bret misunderstood his contract and thought it had expired when in fact it hadn't, so the deal was voided.

Guest Loss

It's funny that they blamed Heyman for being the leak, considering that Eddie Gilbert was the biggest leak of all at the time and he was probably the one who let the cat out of the bag.

I'm not sure how Luger v Lawler in '91 would have drawn, especially with Luger playing the heel.

Prince Iaukea

Jobber.

Won the TV title from Regal on Nitro when Regal's SuperBrawl challenger, Mysterio, distracted him.

Schiavone FUCKED this up...

"1...2...3, he pinned him!" Only thing was, the ref was only at 2 when Schiavone started celebrating. Idiot. Kinda ruined the already stupid title change.

Iaukea went on to have terrible defenses against Mysterio. Mercifully, WCW killed the skinny Maivia's push by having Ultimo Dragon dismantle him and win the title.

Iaukea spent the next year jobbing, until building a brief winning streak against some lower-level cruiserweights, using the Northern Lights Suplex. he stood up to AWESOME HEEL JERICHO in Spring 1998.

Jericho destroyed him at Stampede 98 and took his little skirt as a trophy.

Iaukea then did nothing again, until being repacked in a horrible, heatless "Artist Formerly Known as" gimmick, with former Nitro Girl Sharmell Sullivan aka Paisley.

He held the Cruiser Title on two occassions, with wins over Lash LeRoux (SuperBrawl 2000) and Billy Kidman (PA House Show).

Stripped of title for "WCW Relaunch". Brief, heatless feud alongside Paisley with Candido & Tammy.

When Paisley became romantically involved with Kwee Wee in 2000, Artist started dressing like Raven (black t-shirt, flannel rapped around waist, jeans). The two had a brief, brief feud, and Artist was finally released.

What did Bischoff do to his wife in 99 (I believe) after he got fired from WCW.

I remember someoine (I think JJ Dillon) talking about how Bischoff embarrased his family, wife, etc.

I remember hearing soemthing about it and there being alot of jokes.

Bischoff and his wife were some of the wrestlers/athletes involved in The Gold Club scandal, where people paid strippers for sex(!). Mr. and Mrs. Bisch had a threeway with one of the strippers.

There were rumors of Dibiase coming in as Zillionaire Ted, with WCW making fun of the WWF for making fun of them.

Well, if I remember correctly, they did call him Trillionare Ted for a while.

Here's what I'm wondering...why, near the last legs of WCW, did Sting get to switch themes from the cool, dark, somber music he was using from Starrcade 97 to "Seek And Destroy"?

WCW offered HHH a tag team title run with Steven Regal in early 1995 to try and get him to stay, but Trips jumped to the WWF anyways.

I always find it funny they offer big things to people that are on their way out of the company as they're leaving.

For HHH, a tag title run with Regal.

For Flair...more money than you could shake a stick at.

For Jericho, promise of a bigger push

For Benoit, the World title.

Guest Frank_Nabbit
Prince I

His TV title reign was race based as WCW responded to Rocky Miavia (Die Rocky Die) winning the IC belt .

Price I was carried by Regal and rey jr until Rock lost his belt, at which point it was PC for Prince I to lose his.