TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest netslob
3)Who was Ozzy, Daffney's boyfriend who was part of the "Crowbar fancies Daffney" storyline?

He was the lead singer, I think, of some minor rock band that did something with WCW. I don't remember the name of the band.

Black Sabbath?

3)Who was Ozzy, Daffney's boyfriend who was part of the "Crowbar fancies Daffney" storyline?

He was the lead singer, I think, of some minor rock band that did something with WCW. I don't remember the name of the band.

Black Sabbath?

Not that Ozzy.

Guest Salacious Crumb
and I don't think Riggs' restored vision was ever explained.

Supposedly his impaired vision came from Raven's mind control and once his influence was gone he could see again. Saturn at some point mentioned it during the summer of 98 and ripped the eye patch off which Riggs reacted poorly too.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Dusty Rhodes and Joe Frazier were supposed to wrestle after the starcade 85 finish, but the deal fell through

Black Sabbath?

Not that Ozzy.

He ended up being Ashley Hudson, an indepedent wrestler from the Nashville area, and one-half of the New South, a pairing of himself and Cory Williams.

Here's a question: Did Brutus Beefcake ever go by "The Man With No Face" in WCW? I remember him as "The Man With No Name", but some on the internet also claim he went by "The Man With No Face".

In was in the old RSPW FAQ, written by none other than Scott Keith. Naturally I'm taking it with several grains of salt.

Guest netslob

Black Sabbath?

Not that Ozzy.

He ended up being Ashley Hudson, an indepedent wrestler from the Nashville area, and one-half of the New South, a pairing of himself and Cory Williams.

i remember seeing that team on old "NWA: Worldwide" broadcasts. it always struck me as odd seeing a black guy (Williams) wearing a Confederate flag as a cape. :huh:

Supposedly his impaired vision came from Raven's mind control and once his influence was gone he could see again. Saturn at some point mentioned it during the summer of 98 and ripped the eye patch off which Riggs reacted poorly too.

yeah, but to be fair, Riggs reacted poorly to pretty much everything.

Guest Eric the Eagle
2)How come Sick Boy and Reese were never seen again after the Flock disbanded? And was it ever explained how Scotty Riggs got his vision back before starting his "pretty boy" gimmick

3)Who was Ozzy, Daffney's boyfriend who was part of the "Crowbar fancies Daffney" storyline? What happened in that storyline, because I went to uni just after it started and I missed almost all of it

1)Who was the Scandinavian wrestler, who I believe had an Olympic background, who wrestled for WCW around 94-95? Every match Tony would talk about how he was getting better and more used to working in a wrestling ring

2)How come Sick Boy and Reese were never seen again after the Flock disbanded? And was it ever explained how Scotty Riggs got his vision back before starting his "pretty boy" gimmick

I think Sick Boy and Reese just faded away, and I don't think Riggs' restored vision was ever explained.

Just a few quick questions:

1)Who was the Scandinavian wrestler, who I believe had an Olympic background, who wrestled for WCW around 94-95? Every match Tony would talk about how he was getting better and more used to working in a wrestling ring

Frank Anderson. His matches were specifically for the European market. Even after a conviction in his native Sweden over GHB, WCW still used him.

Actually, the market might have been even more limited than that. His signing came about at the same time as TV3, a joint Scandinavian station, picked up WCW's infamous Disneyland tapings (to all you people complaining about RAW and Smackdown! at the moment; you're wusses. Total wusses. For years, the only wrestling we got was the DIsneyland Tapings - and WWF Superstars before that. And we LIKED IT!), and was, at least over here, mostly a publicity stunt. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've heard it mentioned that any match with him was shown outside Scandinavia.

Back then, I actually thought he was quite interesting to watch - some quite spectacular throws, among other things, though looking back at some old tapes now, I cringe with every throw. They look so spectacularly unsafe.

As an aside, they likely kept him on simply because... well, how likely is it that anyone in the States would actually find out that Anderson had that conviction? FWIW, he's also got a sentence for domestic violence, i think. He also recently appeared for the Swedish team in a Scandinavian version of Celebrity Survivor, where he got into a wrestling match with Danish wrester Asbjørn Riis (best known for being one of Banderas' companions in 13th Warrior).

I'm sorry if this has been asked already.. but at HH 97, when Bret makes his debut.. why did he stop the match ending and order it to restart citing a 'fast count' from Nick Patrick? It wasn't fast at all..

Guest jm29195
I'm sorry if this has been asked already.. but at HH 97, when Bret makes his debut.. why did he stop the match ending and order it to restart citing a 'fast count' from Nick Patrick? It wasn't fast at all..

Bret debuted at Starrcade 97- I believe the reason for his interuption of the match ending was that it was a screwjob and Bret's character was of course very anti-screwjobs considering what had just happened with him and the WWF....I say it was supposed to be a screwjob because Hogan apparently got in Patrick's ear and persuaded him to perform a normal paced count in order to make Hogan look better or something....

Guest drdrainoscott

Bret debuted at Starrcade 97- I believe the reason for his interuption of the match ending was that it was a screwjob and Bret's character was of course very anti-screwjobs considering what had just happened with him and the WWF....I say it was supposed to be a screwjob because Hogan apparently got in Patrick's ear and persuaded him to perform a normal paced count in order to make Hogan look better or something....

Yea, it was actually a screwjob on a worked screwjob via Hogan

Sorry, I know it was Starrcade, I don't know why I said Havoc at al.

So.. Hogan asked the ref to count slower in order to screw Sting?

mmm... WCW died, why?

What was with Ray Traylor's NWO stint? I can't even recall when it started or ended, so he must not have done much.

Yeah, basically. Just another face in the nWo beatdowns and the only nWo guy you'd see on Worldwide or Pro.

Guest jm29195

I've got a new contender for worst WCW (or anywhere else for that matter) house show:-

Atlanta GA (16/11/95 780 sell out)

Lex Luger pinned Jerry Lynn

Joey Maggs defeated DDP (!) by countout

The American Males beat the Barrio Bros by dq

Jim Duggan pinned VK Wallstreet

The Super Assassins DCO Nasty Boys

Yep that's it- 5 matches with 3 being dodgy finishes, and only one 'name' star at the event, what were they thinking????

Guest Greg Valentine
What was with Ray Traylor's NWO stint? I can't even recall when it started or ended, so he must not have done much.

Yeah, basically. Just another face in the nWo beatdowns and the only nWo guy you'd see on Worldwide or Pro.

Actually there's a little more to the story. As I remember it, after Bischoff joined the nWo he stated that everyone in WCW had 30 days or so to convert their WCW contracts to nWo contracts. Ray Traylor I think tried to join after the 30 days was up and WCW officials would not allow this so instead of wrestling in an nWo shirt, he wrestled in a WCW shirt with a red X over the WCW logo. I think that was the basic jist of it, if not the exact details.

Actually there's a little more to the story. As I remember it, after Bischoff joined the nWo he stated that everyone in WCW had 30 days or so to convert their WCW contracts to nWo contracts. Ray Traylor I think tried to join after the 30 days was up and WCW officials would not allow this so instead of wrestling in an nWo shirt, he wrestled in a WCW shirt with a red X over the WCW logo. I think that was the basic jist of it, if not the exact details.

Thats V.K. Wallstreet your thinking of, Ray Traylor was a full nWo member as Big Bubba until they kicked him out.

Guest Greg Valentine

Ahhh, I think you're right. But I believe Traylor still wore the anti-WCW shirt after getting kicked out, right?

no you're thinking of VK Wallstreet AKA IRS AKA Mike Rotunda, he did the whole shirt with the x through it gimmick.

Big Bubba Rogers (Traylor) , then a member of the Dungeon of Doom and having nothing of note to do since feuding with John "I'm Not A fish" Tenta in mid 96, joined the nWo in an in ring battle between nwo and wcws various factions on a nitro in decemberish 96 (Wallstreet also turned on wcw during that brawl) . He got hurt or somethin and came back in 97 and asked why no one had called to check on him and turned face. He then said he was no longer big bubba and would now finally use his real name.

Guest Greg Valentine

no you're thinking of VK Wallstreet AKA IRS AKA Mike Rotunda, he did the whole shirt with the x through it gimmick.

Big Bubba Rogers (Traylor) , then a member of the Dungeon of Doom and having nothing of note to do since feuding with John "I'm Not A fish" Tenta in mid 96, joined the nWo in an in ring battle between nwo and wcws various factions on a nitro in decemberish 96 (Wallstreet also turned on wcw during that brawl) . He got hurt or somethin and came back in 97 and asked why no one had called to check on him and turned face. He then said he was no longer big bubba and would now finally use his real name.

*sigh* This is what I get for acting like I actually know something. Oh well, sorry if these have already been asked but:

Were there ever actually any plans for the Dustin Rhodes Se7en gimmick, or was the whole point for it to just lead up to that worked shoot interview Dustin gave?

I vaguely remember on a Nitro in 2000 a match between Mike Modest and Christopher Daniels. I think it was a tryout for both of them. What ever became if this? I think Scott Steiner did a run in and destroyed them both, but why?

Why was Rick Martel so abrubtly dropped in 1998? He came in, was having the matches of his career with Booker T and had a hot feud with him over the TV title, but was gone after one PPV. Injury?

*sigh* This is what I get for acting like I actually know something. Oh well, sorry if these have already been asked but:

Were there ever actually any plans for the Dustin Rhodes Se7en gimmick, or was the whole point for it to just lead up to that worked shoot interview Dustin gave?

I vaguely remember on a Nitro in 2000 a match between Mike Modest and Christopher Daniels. I think it was a tryout for both of them. What ever became if this? I think Scott Steiner did a run in and destroyed them both, but why?

Why was Rick Martel so abrubtly dropped in 1998? He came in, was having the matches of his career with Booker T and had a hot feud with him over the TV title, but was gone after one PPV. Injury?

Hey dont feel bad wcw confused everyone. Besides you rememebered the red x shirt thing.

The se7en gimmick was supposed to be a real characater for dustin, but it got dropped when russo took over, I believe.

Rick Martel indeed suffered a knee injury IIRC and thus had to leave wcw to rehab. I think he never wrestled again.

I think there were plans for the Se7en gimmick at first, but the superbooker Vince Russo decided to turn it into a worked shoot.

Nothing became of it. Daniels was meant to wind up being the guy who turned Vampiro on Sting, but that got dropped. Why did Steiner run in and destroy them? Because WCW had an inability to let talented people get over without doing something to fuck it up.

Martel was injured at some point after the Booker T match, and when he came back in July he wrestled Stevie Ray, who promptly fucked up a Slapjack, and injured Martel's neck. Martel then decided to call it a day and he retired.

Steiner did the run in, cuz his gimmick at the time was that of a crazy, "loose cannon" type. He was the champ at the time (this was early 2001 actually) and after sin whenere sid broke his leg, scott went on a rampage "breaking peoples legs" he attacked daniels and modest and "broke their legs" with a lead pipe (notice how this sounds real similar to lex lugers breaking peopels arms in early 2000)

the best part was Steiner kicking one of the emts who came into the ring, thinking they were plants, when in fact they were real emts and infact they sued steiner IIRC.

Guest drdrainoscott

I think there were plans for the Se7en gimmick at first, but the superbooker Vince Russo decided to turn it into a worked shoot.

Nothing became of it. Daniels was meant to wind up being the guy who turned Vampiro on Sting, but that got dropped. Why did Steiner run in and destroy them? Because WCW had an inability to let talented people get over without doing something to fuck it up.

Actually, wasn't Se7en Russo's idea? I am pretty sure it was. I think the TNT censors said it was too graphic or somethine along those lines and that is why the angle was dropped. Remember, WCW was family programming at that point.

Actually, that match led to Daniel's being signed to a contract (I'm not sure about Modest, but he may have been as well). During the match, though, Daniel's broke his neck so he was shelved for a while. There were plans for him to be in Vampiro's stable with Muta as The Fallen Angel but he was released before he ever fully recovered from his injury. I have some old observer's covering this somewhere, and I think I remember reading that Daniel's actually appeared on screen with those two wearing a cloke and a hood so that nobody ever saw his face. Am I making this up?