TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jm29195

Matches that made you change your opinion?

Guest jm29195

I just saw this topic over in UKFF and wondered how it would go down over here, posted in the wwe forum because it's only recent wwe performances I'm thinking about:- Basically is there any match you've seen which by itself and the wrestler(s) involved performances has totally changed your view of the wrestler involved.

My example would be

Chris Jericho vs Christian from Westlemania XX, Christian just seemd to be working as a superstar and exuding confidence and charisma in both the match and the post-match angle, busted out several quality new moves aswell.

I'll think of more when I get some more time.....

Mick Foley/Randy Orton from Backlash of this year showed that Orton could be brought to an entertaining match. Not a great match, mind you, but a very entertaining (and brutal) one.

Guest LooneyTune

Randy Orton's match with Mick Foley at Backlash this year started the change of my liking for him. He looked like he was doing his best to keep up with Foley's spots and took a lot of abuse for someone wearing very little.

Batistas pimp suit won me over at WM XX.

Guest jm29195

Well in a way the HBK vs Batista match from Armageddon last year made me a Batista mark- I couldn't stand him after his Armageddon 2002 match against Kane but his posing and aggresion along with a liberal dose of Flair won me over during this match....

Guest Loss

Pretty much all of Goldust's tags with Booker T in 2002 showed me that he still had A LOT left in the tank, when I didn't think he had anything left at all. He was one of the company's best workers that year.

Pretty much all of Goldust's tags with Booker T in 2002 showed me that he still had A LOT left in the tank, when I didn't think he had anything left at all. He was one of the company's best workers that year.

Yeah, I've said it before but Goldust was probably in my top four or five for WWE in 2002.

If you've seen any of his Heat matches, you'd notice he was carrying workers much younger than him to good contests.

Guest LooneyTune

Goldust was probably the "Comeback of the Year" guy of the WWE in 2002. He was the one brightest star on RAW for months when the show was drizzling shit, and they actually booked him pretty well. The December Raw where he and Booker beat Jericho & Christian they actually made the fans care about him, thanks to Jerichos backstage comments about him being a loser in the ring and in life.

Then, 2 months later WWE gave him that retarded gimmick where he would stutter and "accidentally" say bad words. (I forget what the disease is called). After that, he was released from his contract a month before it expired.

Mick Foley/Randy Orton from Backlash of this year showed that Orton could be brought to an entertaining match. Not a great match, mind you, but a very entertaining (and brutal) one.

Yeah that's a good one. I started liking Orton after that, changed quickly though.

I started liking The Rock after the Ken Shamrock match at WM 14. Not really for the match but the skits and his selling after the match too.

And I started giving Triple H credit as a good wrestler after the Foley retirement match in 2000.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah, the WWF made a huge mistake with Goldust that year. It was completely unacceptable for them to release him.

I never was a huge supporter of the Rock. I liked Rock in 1998 when he was in the Nation, and I marked for him every once in a while from 2000 until he left in 2002. I certainly didn't like him when was against Hogan at Mania 18, and the majority of the rest of the time during his big babyface run. I thought he was a sell out too when he left for movies, but that was far from the truth...he was being smart. When he got squashed by Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2002, I was really happy. I remember watching Raw X and thinking...jesus christ, they need to do something with this guy.

When he came back in 2003 as the greatest heel...ever. The time period from a few weeks before No Way Out 2003 to Backlash 2003 (which I was fourtnate enough to be at to see Rock) was probably the greatest, short period of time that any wrestler has ever gotten over as a heel...and everything he did worked with a charm. I had always said that he was a better heel than face, but he was so good as a heel that he turned into a babyface during this transformation period.

I've been a huge supporter and fan of him ever since.

I didn't like Orton until his match with Foley as well. Then he went on to have great matches against Shelton Benjamin, Edge, and Chris Benoit. All of which that I still enjoy.

Guest LooneyTune

JBL is a yes and no for me. His matches are still pretty boring, but his character and promos are awesome. I couldn't hate him if I tried.

Not a match, but Luther Reigns' prematch promo from Velocity was great (this was before No Mercy), and was when I jumped aboard the Luther Bandwagon.

Benjamin vs. Venis in a dark match in 02 made me a Benjamite (RRR BUSTS it out and BRINGS it back) and told me that Val Venis was being disturbingly underutilized.

Guest LooneyTune

I was enjoying Shelton Benjamin when he was a "new-comer" on Sunday Night Heat wearing generic blue tights.

Not a match, but Luther Reigns' prematch promo from Velocity was great (this was before No Mercy), and was when I jumped aboard the Luther Bandwagon.

That was good.

As far as Bradshaw...I love the gimmick, but not as WWE Champion Main Eventer.

He's a mid card attraction, not the fucking main part of the show.

Guest MikeSC

Rock and HHH's ironman match in 2000 showed me that both guys could REALLY go when given the chance. I became a big Rock supporter after that.

-=Mike

Benoit vs. Cena in December 03 on Smackdown made me stop hating Cena. Shame he hasn't been able to come close to the fantastic work and selling he did on that night.

Conversely, Eddie/Benoit from Vengeance 03 made me sad to be a fan of either guy.

I wasnt much of a Rock fan until his match with Hogan at WM X8, but have liked him ever since (despite the fact that I will ALWAYS disagree with Hogan loosing)

And it wasnt a match but when Snitsky kick that doll into the crowd a few weeks back I have went from a "meh, hes just another big guy" thinking towards being a Snitsky fan....it can only last for so long though Im sure...

I fucking HATED Lesnar until his match w/ Rock at SS '02. He followed it up with a pretty bad ass HIAC w/ Taker later in the year and continued to get better. He became easily one of my favorite wrestlers ever. I miss the guy :(

Guest LooneyTune

Brock didn't win me over until his feud with the Big Show. The guy in the most part of his 2002 run couldn't buy heat with Hulk Hogans money, and was booked as a monster with no agility...until he started doing Curt Hennig over-sells and they stopped the "OK, he's a roided monster with limited mobility. Boo him!"

Having barely seen any WCW I was indifferent towards Chris Benoit (and the other Radicals) until his submission match with Chris Jericho at Judgement Day 2000. I didn't like the Austin/Hart ending, but I did like the match.

Eddie won me over at King of the Ring that year when he had a very good match with Val Venis.

Dean Malenko vs Scotty 2 Hotty at Backlash helps ranks that card among my all-time favourites. I wasn't expecting that match to be anywhere near that hot.

Perry Saturn, I had actually seen have a blinder with Raven at Fall Brawl 98, and he never really approached that level again in WWF/E.

Guest uyaljg

Hulk Hogan .VS. The Rock, WM18. Made me like Rock.

Eddie Guerrero .VS. JBL, Judgement Day '04. Made me like JBL.

Shawn Michaels .VS. Randy Orton, Unforgiven '03. Made me like Orton.

I'll never get the Orton/Foley love from this place.

Might as well post my own since I'm already here:

Batista/Edge: I'm a sucker for the Vader/Sting formula and this match made me not hate him as much as I did before. Too bad they fowled it all up by throwing Jericho into the feud and making it turn into shit.

For me, personally, it wasn't really a match...

I hated the Rock. Hated him. Thought he sucked, and his sideburns annoyed me. But, I loved fun Mankind, and when Rocky beat Foley I was hoping for another result. Then, when Rock got everybody to perform the "mutiny" and get Foley back, I became a Rock fan.

Sure would be nice if Rocky would have had time to come in and lead a team at SurSer instead of Orton...I would love a Rock is Raw show....