TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-03/27.shtml

Morrissey Hates Canada, Loves Seals

Quanah Humphreys reports:

Canada has free health care, legal marijuana, and state-sanctioned gay marriage, but America's free-wheeling neighbor to the north won't be getting Morrissey.

Canada's annual seal hunt has put it at odds with the king of all vegans, prompting Morrissey to refuse to tour the country in support of his forthcoming album, Ringleader of the Tormentors. In a statement on the fan site True to You, Morrissey said, "I fully realise that the absence of any Morrissey concerts in Canada is unlikely to bring the Canadian economy to its knees, but it is our small protest against this horrific slaughter."

According to Moz, the Canadian government argues that the "cull," as the hunt is called, is a sustainable, economically viable activity based on sound conservation principles, but Morrissey remains offended by "the barbaric slaughter of over 325,000 baby seals which is now underway."

He continued, "The seal population has looked after itself for thousand of years without human intervention, and, as the world knows, this slaughter is about one thing only: making money. The Canadian government will stream all of the pelts into the fashion industry and this is the reason why the baby seals are killed with spiked clubs that crush their skulls - any damage to their pelts is avoided."

Oh, life is a pigsty!

"The Canadian Prime Minister also states that the slaughter is necessary because it provides jobs for local communities, but this is an ignorant reason for allowing such barbaric and cruel slaughter of beings that are denied life simply because somebody somewhere might want to wear their skin. Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering."

Uh, Morrissey? You do realize that you recently played three shows in America, where George W. Bush is President, right? And he's responsible for way worse things than killing baby seals, right? OK, just checking.

He closed his statement with the following: "If you can, please boycott Canadian goods. It WILL make a difference. As things stand, Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

Next week, Morrissey will kick off a tour of nice, friendly, animal-loving countries like Finland, Scotland, and England, where nobody ever did anything bad.

Morrissey is so full of crap.

When did LeAnn Rimes join the rest of the pop-tarts in Club Bulimia?

Noooo!

Yesssssss. Saw her new video today... bleh. Music sounds the same, but the body has shrunk to skeletal levels.

Also, Kelly Clarkson has a great rear, for a white girl.

This is the only use I have for current pop music.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
That reminds me, is the band Pelican worth listening to? I've heard some good stuff about them.

Pelican is excellent. Big complex instrumentals, nothing neck-breaking heavy, but lots of interesting textures and grooves. Think Neurosis' mellower moments, only not nearly as minimalistic or entrancing.

I seem to suck and need help identifying another song. It sounded like Nightwish to me, but I went through their discography and didn't hear anything like it. Here's the link with video, since I wasn't able to rip the audio in a format that would play in winamp. It's just 2 megs or so.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17165229/song1.avi.html

That reminds me, is the band Pelican worth listening to? I've heard some good stuff about them.

Pelican is excellent. Big complex instrumentals, nothing neck-breaking heavy, but lots of interesting textures and grooves. Think Neurosis' mellower moments, only not nearly as minimalistic or entrancing.

I gave Pelican a listen, and I think their awesome. Thanks.

Whats the name of that song that they play at stadiums or arenas after a team wins, it goes like tan tan tan, tan tan tan, teretaaaaaaan.....tan tan tan, tan tan tan, teretaaaaaan. It's tough as hell to describe. It's like a celebration song.

I was wondering that too, but the one I'm thinking of goes da da da, da da da, da da da da da dada, da da da, da da DAAA DAA DAA DAAA. It's mostly like horns and stuff, and I hear it at Laker games a lot. Also once at Jewel-Osco, which was weird.

I've taken a liking to The Go! Team. It's happy music, and It's a good change for me. Also, The Sounds are my new guilty pleasure. I'll have to get their album sometime, as well as the new one from Goldfrapp.

I've taken a liking to The Go! Team. It's happy music, and It's a good change for me. Also, The Sounds are my new guilty pleasure. I'll have to get their album sometime, as well as the new one from Goldfrapp.

They're really wonderful, The Go! Team. Unreal live, if you ever get the chance. I listen to that album all the damn time.

As for ballpark music...Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll part II"? I don't know much else it might be.

Gwen Stefani is possibly the most overrated musician on the charts these days. After hearing "Crash" for the first time just now, I'm of the opinion that it's set a new low for her, which is hard to do after the release of such gems as Hollaback Girl and Luxurious.

You just realized this now? Most of her fans also consider Kelly Clarkston to be a really good rock artist.

They're really wonderful, The Go! Team. Unreal live, if you ever get the chance. I listen to that album all the damn time.

As for ballpark music...Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll part II"? I don't know much else it might be.

I was going to suggest that, but its mainly used for Hockey though.

i recently bought My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. Needless to say, I love it, and have listened to it twice in the past two days.

i found a used copy of my bloody valentine's 'isn't anything', and i've been listening to it on & off for a few weeks. i think i like it more than 'loveless'. it sounds more dangerous & more varied.

though i was never really nuts about 'loveless' in the first place.

Guest Felonies!

It's a real flashes-of-brilliance album for me. "No More Sorry" is the best track on there and probably as close to Loveless as they get. Is that a jackhammer deep in the mix? The drums on the first track sound so much better than they do on the Loveless leadoff. What happened there? Oh well. I prefer the second album for the reason you don't: the mood stays consistent the whole way through and makes for a better cohesive album and listening experience. Plus the intro to "To Here Knows When" is just so dreamy and cool.

EDIT: See? Now my avatar reflects my enjoyment of this track.

Gwen Stefani is possibly the most overrated musician on the charts these days. After hearing "Crash" for the first time just now, I'm of the opinion that it's set a new low for her, which is hard to do after the release of such gems as Hollaback Girl and Luxurious.

You just realized this now? Most of her fans also consider Kelly Clarkston to be a really good rock artist.

I miss No Doubt.

No Doubt was doomed from the moment they put a camera on Gwen. The Don't Speak video was dead on perfect in expressing it.

So, T.V. on the Radio has a new CD coming out. From the "advance" (illegally downloaded) tracks I've heard from it, it's gonna be great...better than Desperate Youth.... I also saw them in concert last week. They, despite sound problems, put on a Hell of a show, including an encore with the white guy beatboxing to a slowed up version of "Ambulance". The first band was some weak Yeah Yeah Yeah's rip off from Baltimore. The chick looked like a thrift store version of Karen O., which is funny in and of itself, all things considered.

Guest Felonies!

I'd been putting off XTC for quite some time, but finally downloaded English Settlement and Skylarking. I really really like "That's Really Super, Supergirl" and "Dear God," but a lot of this stuff is just thumbs-in-the-middle to me.

I'd recommend Black Sea if you were going to check out more of XTC, if only because that album has the XTC songs that I would actually listen to ("Respectable Street", first and foremost). Don't take that as a knock on XTC, though - I'm just not a fan of the new wave genre in general.

The two-disc XTC compilation Fossil Fuel, is one of the best comps I've ever heard. If you can find that for download, it'll give you an overview of their entire career and let you figure out which distinct phases you like most. I've never gotten into them heavily, but I do like everything I've heard quite a bit.

Movie/music question that's bugging me: what's the name of the 80s power ballad playing in Rahad Jackson (Alfred Molina)'s house in Boogie Nights? The one before "Jessie's Girl."