TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest Felonies!

By lack of dynamic contrast, I just mean everything is loud. It never really gets any softer or louder. Why is this band so special? This isn't really head and shoulders above other noodling indie bands. It's okay, but still.

I still think you're listening to it wrong. Have you listened to the whole thing yet? There's contrast in it, but it does all meld together to a certain degree, but I wouldn't say it's all just a bunch of noise. I'd say that it's layered, in that, there's a bunch of different tones and sounds that all compliment each other as opposed to just clash with each other. It's not like...uh...what's that noise rock band...uh....Wolf Eyes or something where there's no discernable groove or melody. You can shake your ass to TV on the Radio. Have you tried shaking your ass, Czech?

Guest Felonies!

Whatever. I'm not blown away. This has no impact on me other than "I've been told to like this," but I can't tell why. Maybe I'm just not in a "fuck around with distortion for an hour" mood today. I'd been listening to Ben Folds before this.

I wish record stores 'round here would sell SMP albums. Their newest one just got a great review in Metal Hammer, and I've loved every track I've heard from them. Fuck...they in my sig, niggaz!

Whatever. I'm not blown away. This has no impact on me other than "I've been told to like this," but I can't tell why. Maybe I'm just not in a "fuck around with distortion for an hour" mood today. I'd been listening to Ben Folds before this.

Meh, I respect your opinion, but must disagree. You'd probably enjoy the Young Liars EP. It's not as...'droney' as the new one (I don't think droney is the right word, though...but anyway...). I personally like the TV on the Radio thing where there's specific melodies and grooves in each song, but they're sometimes buried deep in the mix or piled upon by layers of other stuff, but can see why someone might not be in a mood to hear it. However, if they ever come to Chicagoland, I'd urge you to check them out in concert. You'd like them...or else you wouldn't, but you might...unless you don't.

but a lot of this is just unorganized sound; a bunch of distortion and yelping. There's no inspired sequencing, or dynamic contrast, or anything. It's just sound.

Nah, son. It's music.

Okay, that was gay. I'm not gonna vivablast you and say "you should like it more," but I will say this is my favorite new album in a very long time. What confuses me is that your criticisms are close to the exact opposite of how I'd describe the album. I think the sequencing is extremely inspired--I enjoy the placement of the album's rock n' roll centerpiece ("Wolf Like Me") quite literally in the center, which allows for a natural anticipation, climax, and cooling-off period ("Method"). And I love how the same wheezing, lush synths that open the album reappear on the final track. Too few albums are that well-built. As for yelping, I think that this band's two vocalists are two of my favorite singers of all time, for their exceptional range, intensity, and how they complement each other in the vocal arrangements. Plus, I think the lyrics are cool too.

It took me a while to get to this point with the album, progressing from "Oh, I like this" to "wow." Probably 4-5 spins over two weeks on home stereo, iPod, and in the car. Somewhere in there, the light went on.

Guest Felonies!

Maybe I'll get there eventually, but like I said, I've been having a hard time sorting it all out. I do like that little synth riff in "I Was a Lover," though, if that's what you were talking about. I don't like "Wash The Day Away." I didn't get anything out of that.

I'm with Czech on TVOTR. Not just for Return to Cookie Mountain, but their whole catalogue in general. I'll concede that I haven't listened to it (Cookie Mountain) deeply at this point, so maybe the realization is yet to come but, so far, I haven't been blown away by anything I've heard from them.

'Vivablasting'...I like that. And I don't think I'd much care for "Wash the Day Away" on its own, but in the context of the other songs around it and the album in general, I enjoy it. I think the TVOTR album might be hard to get into if you just pick random songs to listen to, meaning that like Edwin was pointing out, I think that the album's sequencing is spot on and some of the songs might not work as well in a standalone way, for example "Wash the Day Away". I think the songs build off of each other and become even better in context and relation to the other songs on the CD. And the 'sad elephant' part on "I Was a Lover" rulez, yo...and the part in "Dirty Whirl"...the "All I ever wanted to be...etc." part. Yeah.

Guest Felonies!

The Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir

Come on, Friedbergers. What is this shit.

Experience the magic:

Electric Six - Radio Ga Ga

Lead singer Dick Valentine said the band was against doing a cover of Queen's version, but had to for whatever reason. So they made the video ridiculously awesome, including dancing on Freddie's grave. And the poodles.

I Buy the Drugs

From their new album Switzerland. Supplying a sorority. The only problem I have with this is that Dick Valentine looks way too much like whatshisname from Weezer.

Last night on the radio, the radio station at midnight does 2 hours of indie rock. There was nothing on, but the whole two hours was in honour of Mike Patton.

Mike Patton for two hours, on radio....Fucking Awesome.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

He has that much clean stuff? I guess I can see a lot of Fantomas, since he's mostly going "kkeee-YOORRRRRRP Fladdlebrgrgbr diggidiggiBOOP" to pounding grindy riffs.

He has that much clean stuff? I guess I can see a lot of Fantomas, since he's mostly going "kkeee-YOORRRRRRP Fladdlebrgrgbr diggidiggiBOOP" to pounding grindy riffs.

Everything, from Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, his work with the Dillinger Escape Plan, his work with Dub Q, Loveage, and apparently he's got a new band out as well.

Guest Felonies!
The Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir

Come on, Friedbergers. What is this shit.

The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

Now we're talkin'.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I imagine it's easy to hate ITAOTS.

Yeah.

Well, hate's a strong word. Overpowering indifference maybe.

The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

Now we're talkin'.

Is it just me or is that actually a depressing break-up album? It seems pretty obvious to me but I haven't read a single review that even mentions the possibility. They're all just like, 'Oh there go the Friedbergers being crazy and wacky again!'

Guest Felonies!

I guess it isn't as whimsical as Blueberry Boat. I mean, the instrumentation is still that same "kids with racks of synths and ADD" a lot of the time, but stuff like that 12/8 "I'm Waiting To Know You" seems a little different than just typical zany stuff.

I got two Talking Heads albums yesterday: More Songs About Buildings and Food and Fear of Music. Though both are great, I'd have to say I like FOM the most.

If anyone listen's to Rammstien, I have a question for you.

They have a song where it sounds like the lead singer is saying "This is my time" or "My time" during the chorus. Does anyone know what this song is actually called?