TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Best ignored album(s) of the year

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I like Blink 182, am I still a hipster, Incandenza?

The Delgados album was actually not very bad. The Ponys were bad.

I like Blink 182, am I still a hipster, Incandenza?

Liking shitty bands is neither ironic nor does it make you a better hipster, so it's a wash.

Does it make me less of a hipster? I don't like Modest Mouse, either.

How about if I get a pair of jeans one size tighter? Am I more of one?

Wait

Is Incandenza calling me pretentious?

it greatly saddens me that my love for zeppelin will keep me from ever being a true hipster. good thing i'm in the village, where all the pseudo-hipsters are, instead of williamsburg, where i've been told all the genuine hipsters migrated to.

incidentally, the pseudo-hipsterness in the village is kind of sad. every day i pass by this mural painted on the side of a grocery store that features miles davis, edward albee, bob dylan, joan baez, john coltrane, woody guthrie, jack kerouac, william burroughs, ginsberg, & a bunch of others that i'm forgetting, who were all a part of the greenwich scene way back when. not even touching on the irony that this is painted on the side of a grocery store, the overriding impression i get here is that most of the creative energy of the place is gone & all you can do is see the landmarks. there's nothing really exciting or new i see going on, it's just a bunch of students and young homosexual professionals going to restaurants and buying lots of shit.

i get a much more "we're trying to make something happen and you too can be a part of this" atmosphere from the more noho-ish places. the bowery street poetry club, as pretentious as the very idea of it is, is still a place that's trying to actually DO something. locals come, congregate, do poetry slams & put their self-published books on sale at the counter.

EDIT: these comments do not belong in this thread. probably the "comments that don't warrant a thread" thread. but i'm on a public computer that strangely can't copy & paste, so oh well.

Stoner metal and stoner rock are indeed very, very good, lovecraft. But it's not all slow. It's not ridiculously fast, but quite a bit of it is very up-tempo. Nothing beats the groove.

Thornley is the bottom of barrel Canadian content junk.  If we didn't have regulations that a certain % of music on our radio needed to be canadian, those fuck ups would be pumping my gas.

Ian Thornley comes off to me as a Chris Cornell impersonator.

Well, I'm kind of biased because I got drunk with Ian Thornley, who proceeded to "open up" to me about various subjects.

But yeah, I actually do like the album. Not a tremendous album by any means, but I put that down simply because I enjoyed it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

^Their worst album by a longshot, I've decided.

Lovecraft fucked up by trying to explain something to Banky.

Midnight Movies - Midnight Movies.

Singing drummer sounds like Nico.

Delicious.

Megadeth: The System Has Failed

I agree. A very solid rock album, the best they have put out in a long time.

I haven't seen or heard any bad reviews of it though.

Megadeth did their "we're making this album for ourselves"(Mustaine) thing that Metallica did a little while ago, but Megadeth actually came out with a new record that didn't suck.

Props for that.

Has anyone mentioned the stoned awesomeness that is Clutch's Blast Tyrant? That album gets a nod from me just for the line: Please allow me to adjust my pants/So that I may do the good-time dance.

If this is their worst album, Agent, then I'm DEFINITELY getting more Clutch. I picked this up because I heard the song "The Mob Goes Wild" a few times and loved it, and I'm really loving the whole album. "Ghost" is a mint-ass tune, and not just because it mentions the Biblical figure that I took my username from.

I almost picked up Pure Rock Fury, though. That album any good?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It's ok, I think. You'll like it, but "Careful with that Mic" is far and away their worst song. Coincidentally it was also the only thing they ever had resembling a hit, which I believe was by design. There are other weak tracks on that disc, especially towards the end. The rest of it is solid, which is what they're best at. They're the blue collar, nothing too fancy, rock/metal with some squirrelly qualities band.

I like The Elephant Riders best. Lo-fi stoner rock with lyrics that have civil war references meets horn-laden groovy shit. Their most stoned and least drunk album. Heavy but happy. Hard to explain. Great backyard kegger CD.

You'd probably like Transitional Speedway League the most. It's easily their heaviest release, and pretty dark and hateful by Clutch standards. They got it all out of their system on this record, and put out the good-time party music for metalheads and greasy midwestern chicks afterwards. This one's more drunk than stoned.