TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Agent_Bond34

The Official Rose Bowl Thread

Just like in the Orange Bowl thread, I'm going to do my part, and be the only one to focus on the actual game. The Big 10 has been terrible this year, and is just barely ahead of the Big East. Michigan's best win all year was probably over an Iowa team that lost to Arizona State 41-7. In addition, they lost to an extremely mediocre Notre Dame team, and choked on the last day of the season against OSU in a game they thought they needed to make the Rose Bowl.

While Texas has been fairly overrated this year, and has shown a propensity in the past to choke in big games, Michigan has been both of those things to an even greater degree. If I'm going to pick a score for the final, I'll take the score of the OSU/Michigan game, and drop a TD from Texas's score for Texas's offense choking and take away a TD from Michigan because Texas's defense is clutch. That gives us final score of:

Texas 30

Michigan 14

That's a good assessment Igg. So do you see Mack Brown going for dueling QB's in this game if they need to get the pass going and Young can't get the job done? Or do you think Young's developed enough as a passer to do the job against Michigan's D?

I don't see anything to indicate that Chance Mock will take a single snap in this game unless it turns into a blowout and he gets some garbage time in the 4th. The only significant playing time he had this season was in the Missouri game, and he didn't do any better than Young in that one. The Texas QB controversy is long over.

Does anyone think that the winner of Oklahoma/USC will share the title with Auburn if they win their bowl game? Kinda like last year?

I'm not very good at predicting stuff like that, as the bowl season just confuses me every year.

Does anyone think that the winner of Oklahoma/USC will share the title with Auburn if they win their bowl game? Kinda like last year?

I'm not very good at predicting stuff like that, as the bowl season just confuses me every year.

If the writers voted for Auburn (apart from those who already have Auburn at #1) because they beat a lower top-10 team while #1 played #2 it would be ridiculous.

Bumping this to the front of the page since there is plenty of conversation going on in the regular thread to warrant this game having it's own thread.

Guest Smues

Usually I'm excited for the rose bowl, but this year I have no interest what so ever. I don't like either team. I really don't know who to root for. Go Texas I guess.

I'm putting the over/under at 1:22 into the broadcast before Keith Jackson and Dan Fouts start whining about how Cal should have been in the game instead of Texas.

I'm putting the over/under at 1:22 into the broadcast before Keith Jackson and Dan Fouts start whining about how Cal should have been in the game instead of Texas.

What case do they have now though? Cal sure proved they deserved this game.

Their case will essentially be that they watched Cal play all season, being the Pac-10 crew, and thought they were better. People always think their conference's teams are better than others'.

Texas will certainly need to pull out a win to make their state feel a little better after lil' brother A&M got smeared.

Guest The Gecko
I'd rather it be USC vs. Michigan than anything else. Give me a playoff or give me tradition.

USC vs. Michigan in the ROSE BOWL has been and will always be total bullshit. Michigan has to travel miles and miles and go play in an awkward timezone, while USC plays in their own backyard with 20 times as many fans. They clearly have the advantage every time, even if they were to have a worse team.

Give me a neutral site or give me death.

What case do they have now though? Cal sure proved they deserved this game.

Keith Jackson barely acknowledges that there is college football east of the Rocky Mountains anymore, so I'll be shocked if he gives Texas credit for anything they do well today.

Michigan will only get praised because 1) they're a Big 11 team in the Rose Bowl and 2) they aren't Texas.

Guest The Gecko
Michigan will only get praised because 1) they're a Big 11 team in the Rose Bowl and 2) they aren't Texas.

Well they deserve praise for once, they've been shit on all year by everyone and their cousin.

I'd rather it be USC vs. Michigan than anything else. Give me a playoff or give me tradition.

USC vs. Michigan in the ROSE BOWL has been and will always be total bullshit. Michigan has to travel miles and miles and go play in an awkward timezone, while USC plays in their own backyard with 20 times as many fans. They clearly have the advantage every time, even if they were to have a worse team.

So you want the Rose Bowl out of the Rose Bowl if Michigan is playing USC? Oookaaay.

Awkward timezone? So that's why Michigan lost last year? Jeez all teams playing out of their timezone should use that excuse now.

Guest The Gecko
So you want the Rose Bowl out of the Rose Bowl if Michigan is playing USC? Oookaaay.

Awkward timezone? So that's why Michigan lost last year? Jeez all teams playing out of their timezone should use that excuse now.

I'm not saying thats why they lost. And I'm also not saying that EVERY team should not have to play in an awkward timezone. But its a lot more fair when BOTH teams have to travel to a neutral site as opposed to one of the teams staying at home.

If that game last year was played in the Big House it would've been a much different story.

What's UCLA's excuse, then? They're 5-7 in the Rose Bowl all time.

Guest The Gecko
What's UCLA's excuse, then? They're 5-7 in the Rose Bowl all time.

Well they just suck I guess...

No but honestly, I think its unfair when a school has basically a home-field advantage in a bowl game thats supposed to be neutral. I know its pretty much unavoidable at times but I still think it pimps some teams.

I only point out the Michigan/USC Rose Bowl because I'm a Michigan fan and that pissed me off. Granted they most likely would've lost anyways but still. Despite what you think I don't only think its unfair when it hurts Michigan, I think its unfair when any team has to play a bowl game against a team playing in their home town.

Technically speaking it's not their hometown, but that's splitting hairs. Anyways what's your solution? Move the Rose Bowl? As by evidence of UCLA's record in the Rose Bowl (their homefield) it doesn't really seem to matter.

Oh and to add to what Kotz just said, North Carolina also played basically a glorified home game in the Continental Tire Bowl and they also lost. TCU purposely turned down a Liberty Bowl invite last year to play in the Ft. Worth Bowl on their homefield and lost.

Guest The Gecko
Technically speaking it's not their hometown, but that's splitting hairs. Anyways what's your solution? Move the Rose Bowl? As by evidence of UCLA's record in the Rose Bowl (their homefield) it doesn't really seem to matter.

Oh and to add to what Kotz just said, North Carolina also played basically a glorified home game in the Continental Tire Bowl and they also lost. TCU last year played the Ft. Worth Bowl on their homefield and lost.

Look, I'm not saying it makes the home team win EVERY TIME. I just think its unfair. And I also realize that it is unavoidable at times and theres really no solution for it. Just letting off steam thats all.

Guest The Gecko
The time for talking is over, it's game-time.

You mean time for Texas to win and make me look like a dumb shit...

ehh well... GO BLUE