TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Winter Meetings

Cleveland Indians signed SS Jose Hernandez to a 1 year, $1.8 Million contract.

What is it with the Indians and infielders?

Bench depth? Injury insurance? No idea...hmmm...this is an interesting question then!

Is it better to have a surplus of infielders like the Cleveland Indians or a surplus of outfielders like the Minnesota Twins had?

Is it better to have a surplus of infielders like the Cleveland Indians or a surplus of outfielders like the Minnesota Twins had?

Infielders. It makes it very difficult for the batter to get a hit.

Guest Failed Mascot

According to ESPNews the Renteria signing to the Red Sox could become official sometime tommorow.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
According to ESPNews the Renteria signing to the Red Sox could become official sometime tommorow.

That will give help their batting line-up even more. Their first 4 batters could comprise an all star starting line-up.

Guest Failed Mascot

Supposedly if Renteria goes to Boston he would bat 6th or 7th. His agent said that he's not comfortable hitting in the top of the order. Who knows though.

I'd be more excited due to his glove. I love defense, and while Cabrera was good...Renteria is a 3 time Gold Glover.

Guest Smues

Link

Braves still interested in Hudson

Deal of prospects to A's would yield impressive rotation

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com 

Tim Hudson is 92-39 with a 3.30 ERA in six Major League seasons. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP) 

ANAHEIM -- Maybe Tim Hudson is going to have the opportunity to pitch in his native state of Georgia after all.

Just when it looked like the Braves were out of the Hudson sweepstakes, they were brought back in at the insistence of the Oakland A's.

This belief was confirmed on Monday morning, when Braves general manager John Schuerholz and A's general manager Billy Beane talked alone for about 10 minutes outside the Anaheim Marriott.

It's believed the two were discussing a deal that would send Hudson to Atlanta for a number of top prospects. There is also a chance that there is a third team involved and slowing the progress of these negotiations.

As Schuerholz was leaving the hotel on Monday morning, he confirmed that he was in the midst of a deal. He didn't specify players or teams.

"We're heading home with a good deal under our belts and some other possibilities that might be concluded by the time I land," said Schuerholz, who acquired closer Dan Kolb on Saturday night and then immediately announced that John Smoltz would be rejoining the rotation.

If the Braves were able to acquire Hudson, they'd begin the 2005 season with three former 20-game winners (Smoltz, Mike Hampton and Tim Hudson) in their rotation. Combined with the other two components (John Thomson and Horacio Ramirez) it could prove to be the Majors' finest rotation.

The A's have said they need a starting pitcher and second baseman in return for Hudson, who has gone 92-39 with a 3.30 ERA in 183 career starts. With the Braves unwilling to deal All-Star second baseman Marcus Giles, it seemed Atlanta wouldn't be a good match with Oakland.

But Beane's desire to delve into Atlanta's rich minor league system caused him to request further time to discuss a possible deal with Schuerholz, who has continued to look for starting pitchers even since announcing Smoltz was returning to the rotation on Saturday.

In exchange for Hudson, the A's are seeking Dan Meyer, a left-handed pitcher who the Braves say is certainly ready for the Majors, and two other prospects. The southpaw posted a 2.67 ERA while making 27 appearances between Double-A Greenville and Triple-A Richmond last year.

With an overabundance of middle infielders in their minor league system, the Braves also have the ability to part ways with Nick Green, who was productive while filling in for an injured Giles last year.

The final request from the A's would likely be another top pitching prospect. Atlanta will not part ways with Kyle Davies, a 21-year-old right-hander, who is one of the organization's top young arms.

Hudson, who will make $6.75 million this year, is one of the game's top pitchers and would serve as the ace of the Braves rotation. The drawbacks are that he's battled some hip problems the past two seasons and is eligible for free agency at the conclusion of the 2005 season.

Because of his sore hip, Hudson completed just 188 2/3 innings this year. The total, which would have been the third highest for the Braves in 2004, left him short of the 200-inning mark for the first time since his rookie campaign in 1999.

While the Hudson talks are at least still developing, it appears Kevin Millwood won't be back in Atlanta. The Braves haven't received a return phone call from the right-hander and they had told him they wanted to know something by Monday.

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Guest Failed Mascot

Cabrera is expected to go to whomever loses out on Renteria between St. Louis and Boston. Detroit could be interested but from everything I've seen and read, Cabrera doesn't want to go there.

Either way he's looking for a 5 year deal with an annual worth of $8mill

I can name 20 shortstops who had a better year than Cabrera last year. Seriously this overpaying shit is getting out of hand this offseason.

I can name 20 shortstops who had a better year than Cabrera last year. Seriously this overpaying shit is getting out of hand this offseason.

Similar Batters through Age 29

Compare Stats

1. Eric McNair (936)

2. Shawon Dunston (934)

3. Jay Bell (934)

4. Jeff Blauser (928)

5. Alex Gonzalez (927)

6. Leo Cardenas (926)

7. Neifi Perez (923)

8. B.J. Surhoff (923)

9. Royce Clayton (922)

10. Dave Concepcion (917)

I'd give Jeff Blauser 8 million a year....

What about Carlos Guilen for Detroit? He had probably is best season playing SS. Know they might bring in Orlando Cabrera?

Anyone have any news on. Odalis Perez, Derek Lowe, Kevin Millwood, Eric Milton.

Guest Failed Mascot
What about Carlos Guilen for Detroit? He had probably is best season playing SS. Know they might bring in Orlando Cabrera?

Anyone have any news on. Odalis Perez, Derek Lowe, Kevin Millwood, Eric Milton.

Guillen would be moved to third base. He played that position in Seattle for a year or two so its no biggie.

Odalis Perez and Derek Lowe have no major news on them. They'll probably get offers once Clement and Milton are gone.

Milwood is looking at an incentive based contract when he finally does get one. Braves are the only one I've seen mentioned with him. Seattle may look at him too.

Milton will probably join the Yankees as soon as he realises he'll be getting $21-22mill over 3 years and not the $25mill he wants.

I'm still trying to figure out why Milton is more coveted than Lowe and Perez. Yes, he's a lefty, big fucking deal, he's a shitty lefty. Am I the only one who saw Lowe in the playoffs? And whoever gets Perez is getting a steal, he was near the top of my list for the Yankees and I guarantee he'll be better than Wright, probably just as good as Pavano.

I'd take Milton over Lowe, and maybe over Perez. With Perez, there are concerns that his arm is not 100%, and he struggled in the postseason. Lowe has a poor BB/K ratio. Milton has a good BB/K ratio. His problem was that he allowed an abnormal number of home runs. That will certainly trend downwards. If Perez was healthy, I'd take him over Milton.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays signed 3B Earl Snyder to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Snyder hit .273/.323/.588 with 36 HR's in AAA Pawtucket.

Tampa Bay also signed Damon Hollings to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Hollings hit .301/.341/.553 with 20 HR's in AAA Richmond last season.

Tampa Bay also signed SP Tim Corcoran, SP Jimmy Haynes, and MR Joe Beimel and invited them all to spring training. They also signed 1B Steve Cox to an MLC.

Take this with a large grain of salt, because I got this from Dan Shanoff's morning quickie. If you don't know who that is, he's the guy with the really nasally voice that was on ATH a few times a couple months ago. In short, he sucks, but his column has a cool format, so I still read it. Anyways, here's a new rumor.

Hottest rumor? A.J. Burnett, in a potential trade with Florida for Boston's top SS prospect Hanley Ramirez (made dispensable if the Sox sign Renteria). Boston is also looking at Matt Clement and, least appealing, signing Derek Lowe, who everyone knows -- after THAT postseason -- is SO due to suck.

In my opinion, you can't trade AJ Burnett and not get a pitcher of good quality back in return, but Hanley Ramirez and a pitcher would work!

Guest Failed Mascot
In my opinion, you can't trade AJ Burnett and not get a pitcher of good quality back in return, but Hanley Ramirez and a pitcher would work!

Hanley Ramirez is projected to be close to A-Rod in terms of skill. If he goes anywhere it will be to Milwaukee for Ben Sheets. Even if the Sox sign Renteria they can look at Hanley as a future third baseman.

Marlins would probably get Doug Mienk and Kevin Youkilis for Burnett if there was a trade. Gives them a first baseman and allows them to move Mike Lowell if needed since they aren't getting that new ballpark anytime soon.

Hanley Ramirez is projected to be close to A-Rod in terms of skill. If he goes anywhere it will be to Milwaukee for Ben Sheets. Even if the Sox sign Renteria they can look at Hanley as a future third baseman.

Marlins would probably get Doug Mienk and Kevin Youkilis for Burnett if there was a trade. Gives them a first baseman and allows them to move Mike Lowell if needed since they aren't getting that new ballpark anytime soon.

I wouldn't go that far. A-Rod hit .358 in the majors when he was Ramirez's age. Ramirez is still a nice prospect though.