TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Winter Meetings

Guest Failed Mascot

San Diego did offer him arbitration so he could go and take that. As of this afternoon though according to Jayson Stark and a local newspaper guy that I doubt most of you would know(Tony Mazarotti) the front runners for his services were the Red Sox and Indians. I guess they're going to see if anybody else is interested before he makes a choice between the two or staying with San Diego. If he goes to Cleveland its most likely as a mentor type thing for Cliff Lee and some of the other younger lefties. Cleveland's bullpen still isn't improved enough to make a serious run at anything.

Guest I *Heart* Jeff Weaver

Why would Wells want go to Cleveland? He always struck me as a guy who loves the limelight and big, playoff type atmosphere. Why would he go somewhere where he has basically no shot in hell of either? San Diego I could understand because it was his hometown and the Padres had a shot. Cleveland baffles me.

Guest LooneyTune

He did pitch for the Cincinnati Reds for about a year. Playing for the Indians can't be much worse.

Guest Failed Mascot
Red Sox, Wells close on two-year deal

The Red Sox have made significant progress toward signing free-agent left-hander David Wells to a two-year contract with incentives, The Sporting News has learned.

The signing of Wells, coupled with the expected return of free-agent right-hander Pedro Martinez, likely would end the Sox's pursuit of free-agent right-hander Carl Pavano.

Wells' deal would be creatively structured, according to a source close to the negotiations, possibly enabling the Sox to engage in other pursuits, including a possible run at free-agent shortstop Edgar Renteria.

Link

I think it's fair to award the AL East to Boston at this point, barring an unforseen collapse on the Martinez deal. Their chief competition for the division New York started with no starting pitching and has gotten worse. I wouldn't rule out the Yankees as a wild card contender, maybe the favorite. But Boston's staff with Schilling, Martinez, Wells, Arroyo and Wakefield runs circles around anything New York can possibly conjure up.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

When the smoke clears, the Yanks will have Beltran and Randy Johnson. So, it'll be closer than you think.

I was operating under the theory that the Yankees would be unable to obtain Johnson.

Guest Brian
Why would Wells want go to Cleveland? He always struck me as a guy who loves the limelight and big, playoff type atmosphere. Why would he go somewhere where he has basically no shot in hell of either? San Diego I could understand because it was his hometown and the Padres had a shot. Cleveland baffles me.

Cleveland should put up a strong, young team in a weak division. I would assume their the favorites to win the central.

I still rank Minnesota as the favorites, just based on the fact that every year they manage to win it, plus they're bringing back last year's team more or less intact, with Santana, Radke and Nathan anchoring the staff, plus Mauer and Morneau on track to become big time hitters.

Cleveland has some nice young hitters in Victor Martinez, Travis Hafner, Casey Blake, Coco Crisp, Josh Phelps and Jody Gerut, as well as veteran Matt Lawton and a returning Aaron "F'n" Boone, plus a good staff anchored by Sabathia, Westbrook and Lee, but I think they need another season of experience before they overtake the Twins.

Plus you never know about Chicago, though I don't see them being quite good enough to make the playoffs unless some of their kids really step up.

I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck they're trying to do. They trade Lyle Overbay and Junior Spivey for Richie Sexson, who they aren't even going to keep!!!! and now they spend mad cash on one of the most injury prone players in the game and a pitcher who despite battling and knowing how to win maxes out at "good"

Are they rebuilding, putting in a futile effort to win now w/ Johnson or just trying to tread water? WTF?!?

And I'd be remiss if I didn't reinterate that the Arizona Diamondbacks are the dumbest team alive.

33 million to a guy who wasn't even a starter in the Braves postseason rotation. Enjoy him DBack fans

Guest Failed Mascot

According to Gammons just now Steinbrenner is absolutely livid with David Wells going to Boston. He wants the Carl Pavano deal to get done, and to get done NOW. Which means they could throw an offer of 5 years $55mill to a pitcher who's one game under .500 for his career. Same pitcher who got rocked at Fenway in 03 during that period where 11 runs scored before the first out was recorded.

Red Sox are working towards Edgar Renteria now. That could end up moving Hanley Ramirez to third in the future, Kevin Youkilis to first base and then Dustin Pedroia at second. That would be an infield for 07 though.

Keep an eye on Tim Hudson. Cartman's proposed trade was just something made up on the ESPN boards, but the Red Sox are after him. They're trying to find a third team to give Beane the rest of what he's looking for. Evidently they already tried to get Soriano to ship to Oakland as part of a package for Hudson but that fell through.

Gammons was on ESPN News so that's where it's coming from.

$10 million/year for Renteria?

$11 million/year for Pavano?

This whole offseason has just a model of stupidity across the board. I'd say 90% of all players signed so far have been overpaid. Though after the "market correction" of the last two years I have a feeling this over spending by the owners is so they can cry poor again for the next CBA after 2006. Then we can look forward to a possible strike or lockout yet again.

The rumor that I've read at a few boards now is:

Mietuwotuypasghpdskghwpitruqwefwitz, Brandon Arroyo, prospect

for

Tim Hudson.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Don't buy any rumors for Hudson as long as there isn't a second baseman in the deal. Arroyo wouldn't help the A's at all.

Guest Failed Mascot

for

Tim Hudson.

ok Tim McCarver.

His name is Bronson. He was named after Charles Bronson. If you have a problem remembering his name then associate him with the movie DeathWish and all will be good.

for

Tim Hudson.

ok Tim McCarver.

His name is Bronson. He was named after Charles Bronson. If you have a problem remembering his name then associate him with the movie DeathWish and all will be good.

I'm 99.9% sure he meant to do that.

Guest Failed Mascot

This next bit of news is sure to make TCR and Cubs fans everywhere cry

The Cubs might have to part with both Kyle Farnsworth and Todd Wellemeyer in order to acquire Dan Kolb.

The Cubs might have to part with both Kyle Farnsworth and Todd Wellemeyer in order to acquire Dan Kolb.

What a heartbreaker for Cub fans. Farnsworth for Kolb? Please no.