TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Winter Meetings

With Wright failing the physical, expect the Yankees to sign Milton. I'd rather have Clement at the same price, but I we really do need a left. The rotation would then be Mussina, Pavano, Vazquez, Brown, and Milton. It could be better with RJ, but that doesn't look like it won't happen anytime soon. I guess I could live with this one, as long as we get Beltran, who should help a lot.

Look at his last 3 years. almost 150innings pitched and an ERA of 2.64

I believe you have John Halama mistaken for another pitcher.

2002: 101 innings, 3.56 ERA (Seattle)

2003: 108 2/3 innings, 4.22 ERA (Oakland)

2004: 118 2/3 innings, 4.70 ERA (Tampa Bay)

Guest Failed Mascot

Milwaukee ships Kolb to Atlanta for Jose Capellan. Either this makes Smoltz somebody they can trade to cut costs or he heads back to the starting rotation.

Guest I *Heart* Jeff Weaver
Milwaukee ships Kolb to Atlanta for Jose Capellan. Either this makes Smoltz somebody they can trade to cut costs or he heads back to the starting rotation.

I think it takes a full year to make the shift back. I remember Smoltz saying something to that effect a while back.

Guest Failed Mascot

According to some ESPN baseball person (either Stark, Gammons or Tim K) the Yankees are just trying to get out of the deal for Wright because they now believe its ill advised...regardless of his shoulder. He's going to have a second physical which will most likely be done by a doctor both parties agree to.

All I saw of Capellan last season is he gave up 7 runs to the METS!? in the first inning, that can't be a good sign. Braves will probably get the better end of the deal in the end. Watch Kolb have 50 saves and a 2.00 ERA and Smoltz have a great year in the rotation

What in good God were the Braves thinking? Kolb is probably the worst closer this side of Braden Looper. Yes, Capellan struggled in his callup, but he throws 100 mph and pitched amazing in the Futures Game.

As a Marlins fan, this has been the best transaction I've seen in the past few days.

Way to go Braves.

What in good God were the Braves thinking? Kolb is probably the worst closer this side of Braden Looper. Yes, Capellan struggled in his callup, but he throws 100 mph and pitched amazing in the Futures Game.

As a Marlins fan, this has been the best transaction I've seen in the past few days.

Way to go Braves.

actually Looper had a very good season for the Mets last year, it just got shadowed because the Mets were so bad. I'm hoping it wasn't a career year, but looking at his overall numbers, one could make the case it was.

Guest Failed Mascot
the status of right-hander Jaret Wright with the Yankees is uncertain due to the team's concern over the condition of Wright's pitching arm.

Wright agreed to a three-year, $21 million contract with the Yankees earlier this week. The Yankees, concerned by an issue one of their doctors raised with his MRI, apparently want him to get another opinion.

A source with knowledge of Wright's medical records says the pitcher was cleared to pitch by Dr. Lewis Yocum, and that his MRI "looks better than Pedro's, better than (Bartolo) Colon's, better than (Kelvim) Escobar's."

Link

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The Yankees rotation is just an unimpressive as it was last year. Pavano had his best year. They need Johnson, if they don't get him, they won't win. I don't know why they even talked to Wright. I'm surprised they didn't go after the overated Russ Ortiz, either.

Guest Smues

I don't get the Kolb trade at all, but at least on the upside I read that we're gonna try to sign John to a new deal this week that'll lethim finish his career in Atlanta, I'm all for that.

Kolb to Atlanta? You mean Kyle Farnsworth didn't entice the Brewers? BULLSHIT. And now time for the "I want Carlos Beltran" of this summer...

I want John Smoltz!

Were you not appeased when I presented Hawkins and Smoltz' stats and how similar they were for the most part? It'd be great to get a bonafide closer, but they really weren't that far apart in 2004 stat-wise.

And I posted that story about Sosa yesterday to further prove that the Cubs can't go after Beltran, because they don't look to be unloading Sosa.

Guest Failed Mascot

Derek Lowe could be headed to the Cardinals.

Link

That site actually broke the Renteria to Boston story so it does have credability. With that, barring some major move I'm gonna watch Seinfeld and head to sleep.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The Tigers didn't even pursue Derek Lowe? bah.

So are the Cubs going to do anything at ALL to improve the team?

Christ, at least grab some guys to sure up the bullpen. And what about left field? Are they serious considering Hollansworth out there?

I mean, what the hell??

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

the Cubs have a rook named Jason Dubois who should be at least semi-tolerable, although he'd probably split with Hollandsworth.

ps - cubs suck

So are the Cubs going to do anything at ALL to improve the team?

Christ, at least grab some guys to sure up the bullpen. And what about left field? Are they serious considering Hollansworth out there?

I mean, what the hell??

At least you're not the Mets:

- being played as pawns for Pedro

- overpaying Benson

- trading shite for shite

- considering signing Alou and trading for Sosa

In a move that surprises nobody, Clemens accepts arbitration

And based on the language in this article and the talk of Beltran not wanting to play in front of the New York media, it seems less and less likely that the Yankees have a realistic shot, despite every Yankee-hater around here thinking it's a done deal.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

well where else is he gonna go, the Mets?

note: sarcasm

I would have preferred Pavano (now I hope he's Vasquez 2K5), but having a good veteran lefty in the 3 or 4 spot is a fine replacement for Lowe. I liked Orlando's attitude and glove, but Renteria brings better offense with a slightly weaker glove, so it isn't a bad tradeoff.

Any word of one of the clauses in Wells' contract being 24/7 access to the Cask N' Flagon?

Bryan Hoch of Mets Inside Pitch has stated that the Mets will not make any moves this weekend at the meetings. Minaya told him that none of his deals are even close to being done. Typical Omar, all talk, no results.

I swear, why can't a pitcher have his first good year without somebody telling him it was a career year?

I mean, pitchers do get better. Look at Pavano's 03 playoffs.

Kolb is an interesting case, because he did strike out 39 batters in 41.3 IP in 2003. His K numbers this season could be little more than a statistical quirk. After all, Mariano Rivera had a year in 1998 where he only struck out 36 batters in 61 IP. Kolb has an amazing home run rate, and that will do much to prevent a blowup.

Honestly, Kolb may be a better investment. Capellan had a great year, but remember he had no real previous track record, and he started the season at single A. It could well have been a career year.

I swear, why can't a pitcher have his first good year without somebody telling him it was a career year?

I mean, pitchers do get better. Look at Pavano's 03 playoffs.

Because you are essentially guessing as to whether he has achieved a new level of performance. And when you are considering giving a pitcher $40 Million, you want more information to evaluate than simply a single year.

Take a look at Pavano's stats. In 2003 and 2004, he walked and struck out almost exactly the same number of batters. The difference was that Pavano's opposing batting average fell from .265 to .253. Now, I have taken statistics courses. Do you know how ridiculously easy it is for a batting average to take a 12 point variance? Each year, a handful of batters hit .300 due to pure luck.

You have no noticeable change in peripherals. That troubles me. There is every likelihood that Pavano becomes a league average pitcher next season. Are you willing to gamble $10 Million a season to hope 2004 is the true level, regardless of the rest of his career?

Guest I *Heart* Jeff Weaver

The same reason why they do it with position players. Athletes really don't just get good out of the blue. There's usually some kind of gradual improvement over the years.