TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Winter Meetings

So LA is looking at a top 4 of Hudson, Penny, Weaver and Ishii. I hate Ishii, but if Penny comes back strong that's a damn good top 3.

Anyone know the status of Nomo? I know the Dodgers declined arbitration, but is there any word on his health? Seems like a good reclaimation project for Mazzone......

On SportsNet, they were saying that the Jays are probably going to sign Steve Kline, but won't be able to sign Koskie (who wants to stay with the Twins) or Clement, since his price is going to get too high.

I feel sorry (well, not too sorry) for starters who had their contracts run up last year.

I just ran through my NL East simulation again. Each time I ran it a week ago, the Phillies finished way ahead. Now, with the Marlins' pitching acquisitions, and the Braves picking up Kolb and Franco, its a dead heat.

I just read an article in the Palm Beach Post that says the Yankees want AJ Burnett and since Carl Pavano is his best friend, he's game for the idea.

Apparently, the Yankees would get AJ Burnett and the Marlins would get Vazquez, Felix Rodriguez, another player and about 10 million in cash.

I don't know what to make of it, but my initial reaction is that I hope it doesn't happen.

Why would we trade Felix Rodriguez too?

Anwyay, i'm 50/50 with this trade. Burnett can be pretty good. He has a good K/BB ration (last year's was decent), and is still only 27. Problem is, he's always injured. I dunno. This was totally unexpected, unless they are really going to deal him off for Johnson.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Hudson to the Dodgers, for myself, aside from going to the Tigers is about as good of a situation for me. Had he gone to a team I despised, I'd have trouble with it.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I'm really saddened by the Reds lack of Off-season movement. Have we done anything? have we even talked to a free agent yet?

Dec. 12 - According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, the Cubs have kicked around the possibility of trying out Kerry Wood as a closer – if they can't obtain one elsewhere.

The Cubs took a run at dealing for Danny Kolb but couldn't put that together. So their current plan is to give Ryan Dempster a shot at the closer's job. Manager Dusty Baker doesn't appear to be sold on that idea, though. Asked Saturday who his closer would be if the season started tomorrow, Baker replied, succinctly: "The season ain't starting tomorrow."

"You need a closer," added Baker. "Where would the Dodgers be without (Eric) Gagne? Where would the Yankees be without Mariano Rivera? That's mandatory in baseball now if you're going to win."

Baker wasn't asked about moving Wood into that role. But one scout who had heard of that idea said: "That has John Smoltz written all over it."

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No, Dusty, this has Kyle Farnsworth written all over it.

Kerry Wood, in 2004, often had very rough first innings. If that carries over and he has a rough NINTH inning, his first of the game, then HE'S NOT A VERY GOOD CLOSER NOW IS HE.

Plus we can't afford to lose him as a starter.

"You need a closer," added Baker. "Where would the Dodgers be without (Eric) Gagne? Where would the Yankees be without Mariano Rivera? That's mandatory in baseball now if you're going to win."

Know what else you need? Starters. Converting one of your best starters that often has a shaky beginning of a game into a closer is just a stupid fucking idea. Of course, it's Dusty Baker, so it's a GREAT idea! Move Mark Prior into the set-up role! Carlos Zambrano can spot start!!

Well, I think the Yanks could've done better than Pavano, as I'm sure last year was an anomaly.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE JAYS DUMPED KEVIN CASH'S USELESS ASS.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

ESPN reported Washington is trying to bring Sammy Sosa in for a box office attraction, not sure what they can offer Chicago but I'm sure Chicago would have no problems getting rid of this cancer.

ESPN reported Washington is trying to bring Sammy Sosa in for a box office attraction, not sure what they can offer Chicago but I'm sure Chicago would have no problems getting rid of this cancer.

That's what I've been saying all this time! Who can back me up on this.

When calling him a "box office attraction," I imagine Sammy Sosa as like a circus attraction, juggling monkeys on bowling pins on a trapeze...or something.

Here you go... here is your signing for the day... Richie Sexson to the Mariners.

ANAHEIM -- Persistence might finally pay off for the Mariners in their pursuit of a run-producing free agent hitter at the Winter Meetings.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported on its Web site Sunday night that the Mariners had reached a contract agreement with free agent slugger Richie Sexson. The newspaper, citing an anonymous team official, did not have details of the agreement, which it said was contingent upon Sexson passing a physical exam.

Several Major League sources told MLB.com on Sunday night that the Mariners were on the verge of signing Sexson to a multiyear contract and one agent said the deal already had been completed.

But a Mariners official said nothing has been finalized.

Sexson, who grew up in Vancouver, Wash., would definitely upgrade an offense that finished last in home runs and runs scored in the American League last season. The 6-foot-8 Sexson has hit 200 home runs -- including 45 in 2001 and 2003 -- during his six-plus Major League seasons.

Last season in Arizona, he was limited to just 23 games, however, because of a shoulder injury.

Getting a bonafide home run threat under contract definitely would provide a boost to an organization that came to the four-day Winter Meetings with the wherewithall (and cash) to spend on a top-of-the-line free agent.

Mariners officials, including president Chuck Armstrong and general manager Bill Bavasi, met with Sexson and is agent, Casey Close, Saturday afternoon and further negotiations continued Saturday night and again on Sunday.

Former Mariners general manager Pat Gillick is familiar with how the baseball business works, so he understands that even the best-laid plans can be slow developing.

He also knows that an organization eager to jump into the costly free agent market must have patience, something the Mariners have shown the past few days.

"The one thing you really have to prevent is getting frustrated," Gillick said. "You have your game plan, and course of action you want to take, and you have to stick to it. You know that in the free-agent market there are bumps along the road. It's not as if you are dealing with an amateur free agent that you have exclusive rights to."

With the Sexson deal still not announced, the Mariners have been riding a very bumpy road in Anaheim.

They have money to spend, are willing to spend it, but hadn't been able to find a free agent to accept millions of dollars. It is difficult to improve a team that lost 99 games when your money doesn't speak loudly enough.

On the next-to-last day of the meetings and a few hours before rumors of Sexson's possible signing started, Bavasi finally had something to celebrate. But he had to drive 70 miles.

That's the distance between the Anaheim Marriott and La Jolla, Calif., where he attended a birthday party for his 90-year-old father, Buzzie, a former Dodgers and Padres executive.

Before leaving the hotel, Bavasi said the Mariners had a "lot of discussions" on Sunday and sensed that some headway is being made in attempts to sign free agents and/or make trades.

"Every time you have a discussion, you are at least getting a step closer to a player," he said. "So we spent most of the day talking and it is getting us closer, but nothing that I can report."

He said "headway" was being made on both the free agent and trade markets, but wouldn't be more specific than that.

Besides courting Sexson, who turns 30 later this month, the Mariners are interested in first baseman Carlos Delgado (who reportedly wants $64 million over four years), third baseman Corey Koskie, and possibly third baseman Adrian Beltre. A potential trade materialized Saturday when the Mets and Mariners reportedly discussed a deal that would bring shortstop Kaz Matsui to Seattle for outfielder Randy Winn.

"A couple of discussions we had [saturday] were interesting," Bavasi said, "but we're not close to a deal by any means. At least we have something interesting on the table, something to look at."

For most of the weekend, this has been a look-only convention for the Mariners -- and numerous other teams.

"It doesn't surprise me," Bavasi said earlier in the evening. "Things could happen all at once, but I'm not surprised with what has happened. The fact that nothing happened [sunday] doesn't surprise me. It probably compares to other meetings."

Bavasi knew coming in that the Mariners could make several offers with no guarantees that any would be accepted.

"There are other clubs interested in the same players," said Gillick, who currently serves as a special consultant to Bavasi. "There are a lot of things a player has to take into consideration before he makes a decision."

The way Gillick sees it, "Bill is keeping his cool and staying the course and I think we're going to get a positive result one of these days."

Bavasi acknowledged that the Mariners' 99-loss season in 2004 has been "a little bit" of a detriment in dealings with prospective free agents.

"We have to do a bit of explaining, yes."

Gillick said, "I think players should view it as an opportunity. We have a lot of things going for us -- a good organization, good facility and good city. I think we are very attractive."

While management keeps its collective chin up, so does new manager Mike Hargrove.

Asked if the lack of action at the meetings makes him somewhat antsy, Hargrove said, "Not at all. It's a process that's going to take time and you have to be patient. Would I like to know in the next 15 minutes who the players are going to be? You bet. But that's not going to happen.

"This is a process that is going to take as much time as it needs to take. The good thing is that I know the people here involved in that process are working very hard to get things accomplished."

Another little note: The Marlins are after Matt Clement or Odalis Perez for their 5th rotation slot.