TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Winter Meetings

Guest OSIcon

I hope they avoid Ordonez too. Like someone said, he seems to scream "Albert Belle" more than Delgado does.

No way are they going to be able to get four free good free agent pickups (two quality starters, an outfielder, and a 1B). Given that, I'd much rather see Delgado than Ordonez. Deglado has had one down season (last season) since turning into a top notch player. Not to mention this second half of the season was really good once he got over his injuries. I'm not too worried about that. I'll be happy if they get either Hudson or Pavano. Getting both is a pipe dream, thoug obviously I'd be thrilled with that.

Like Slapnutz said, you have to keep Lopez in the starting rotation. Yea, he was lights out in the bullpen last year, but he was also good as a starter when he was put back there mid year. He doesn't want to be in the bullpen, so they might as well keep him in the rotation. Hopefully he' won't have another down year (like 2003) and turn out to be a nice second or third starter.

Taking a look at the Angels and Dodgers transactions today.

Steve Finley 2 years, $20 million

40 years old in 2005

OPS+ last three years: 109, 112, 110

Jeff Kent 2 years, $17 million

37 years old in 2005

OPS+ last three years: 152, 118, 124

Okay they do play different positions and I know the Angels have the money to spend but don't you think they feel a little silly tonight after the Dodgers signed Kent?

The only reason I would like to see Delgado go to the Yanks is because my grandfather who is a big Yanks fan absolutely hates Delgado and has been ragging on him for years.

Seattle seems pretty much a lock at this point though.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I can't believe some of the contracts teams are giving out. Especially the Mets giving Benson a 3 year 22.5 million dollar deal of Cincy giving Paul Wilson over 8 million for a two year deal.

Peter Gammons is reporting that the Diamondbacks have signed Russ Ortiz to a 4-year, $34 million deal.

The D-Backs have a $55 million debt this upcoming year and that was before the signings of Glaus and Ortiz.

$55 million

Guest Failed Mascot

According to the new Gammons article on ESPN.com the Cards have offered Renteria 4 years and $36mill. The Red Sox offered 4 and $32mill while the Tigers offered some contract.

I think Cabrera is a better SS for the Red Sox needs personally. He's a better fielder and if Renteria only gets like $9mill then no way is Cabrera going to get the $9mill he's looking for. In a perfect world he ends up accepting arbitration.

Rumor circulating is that Pedro is close to a new deal with the Red Sox, to stay.

In other news, my Red Sox: 2004 World Series Champions hat arrived in the mail today. Not anything earth shattering, but it certainly brightened my day.

Dec10009copy.jpg

The O's always somehow suck the ability to do well as a team whenever they sign free agents.  Individual players do alright, but the team always stays around the same leve as the Blue jays.  And as alkeiper said, its funny to see how O's fans are daydreaming about the impossible notion of signing the 4 more sought after free agents, when at most, they'll get only one of those.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign none of them.

The Orioles need a #1 Starter and a RF or 1B right now. They have enough payroll after finally getting out from under some bad contracts (Segui, Cordova, Daal, Groom) that they can easily sign 2 players. Whether thats Hudson/Ordonez or Delgado/Pavano, but they need to sign at least 2.

In a worst case scenario where they could only sign 1 player, I would prefer it to be a pitcher, but I would want them to get Hudson and sign him to a long term deal. The offense is ok, and if Gibbons is healthy the whole year that would be an improvement right there over last season. Because if they don't sign a pitcher, they wont be going anywhere with a rotation of:

Ponson -

R. Lopez -

Cabrera-

Bedard -

Riley/Ainsworth -

Keeping in mind that Ponson absolutely stunk for 1/2 of the year last year before rebounding to at least have a good finish. Lopez is in no way a #2 starter (probably not even a #3), Cabrera will probably have a Sophmore slump just like every other Os pitcher who's had a decent first year (Josh Towers, Rodrigo Lopez..). Bedard could only seemingly go 5 innings last year before getting yanked for throwing over 100 pitches. I was really high on Ainsworth last year but Im worried his injuries are a bigger problem and I like Matt Riley but he's still a couple years away.

Signing a #1 pitcher would probably bump Bedard to a long relief role and would ibe a vast improvement even though it seems they probably need to sign 5 new Pitchers.

I still don't know why the A's wouldn't take Gibbons and Hairston if they were interested in Giles and have lost Dye. Im fine with giving up Bedard..he COULD be a good pitcher but Im not seeing it in a guy who could barely last 5 innings just because of his high pitch count. BJ Ryan is an integral part of the bullpen, but if you can get Tim Hudson for him and Bedard, you have to do it (As long as they can then sign Hudson to a long term deal..)

Oh, and from the looks of things, Pavano canceled his meeting with the Angels and supposedly his agent was meeting with the Os last night. It could be possible to sign Pavano and trade for Hudson and still sign Delgado or Ordonez, but I doubt it.

Apparently Channel 4 news in boston is saying the 3yr 40mil deal for Pedro will be signed within the next 24-48 hours.

Rotoworld.com

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The O's won't get Hudson. He's going to the Braves for Giles and a pitching prospect. Beane has a hard on for Giles. In the end, I think the A's might actually be better with Giles and a young arm than with Hudson. Tim has been their best pitcher, but injuries and cold streaks have hindered his work greatly. And when he's been on the shelf, other pitchers have stepped up. Their batting line-up will be pretty strong with no real glaring weaknesses. They'll just have to count on Hattenberg stepping up again, and Swisher to become their everyday rightfielder.

Guest Failed Mascot

Listening to the radio, watching the BaseBall Tonight special, reading various sites here's what I've picked up on.

Hudson isn't headed to the Braves. Braves are not willing to give up Giles with all the offense they've lost along with their best pitching prospect which is what Beane is asking for. The front runners seems to be the Dodgers who can put together a package that would start with Edwin Jackson.

Pavano has shortened his list of teams he's willing to go to down to 3. The Mariners, The Yankees, and The Red Sox.

Mariners offered a considerable contract to Adrian Beltre.

If the Mets lose out on Pedro then they're going to go hard after both Moises Alou and Richie Sexon.

Magglio Ordonez wouldn't mind staying in the city of Chicago...as part of the Cubs.

Cubs are doing their damnedest to move Sosa in order to free up money for Beltran. Might come down to them even eating at least half of the salary.

Richard Hidalgo has signed a one year deal with the Rangers.

Guest Failed Mascot

The Cubs could do what the Red Sox did with Manny last off-season and place Sosa on Irravocable Waivers.

This just in. David Wells signs with the Red Sox. Extra security will be issued to the Cask'n'Flaggan immediately.

Edit: It appears that Steve Phillips(former Mets GM who works for ESPN now) may have jumped the gun.

Richard Hidalgo has signed with the Rangers...I'll edit in the contract numbers momentarily.

EDIT: 1 year deal for...well, I guess they aren't going to say in the press conference.

"He's been an elite performer", sez Rangers management. "He's a tough kid."

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Listening to the radio, watching the BaseBall Tonight special, reading various sites here's what I've picked up on.

Hudson isn't headed to the Braves. Braves are not willing to give up Giles with all the offense they've lost along with their best pitching prospect which is what Beane is asking for. The front runners seems to be the Dodgers who can put together a package that would start with Edwin Jackson.

Pavano has shortened his list of teams he's willing to go to down to 3. The Mariners, The Yankees, and The Red Sox.

Mariners offered a considerable contract to Adrian Beltre.

If the Mets lose out on Pedro then they're going to go hard after both Moises Alou and Richie Sexon.

Magglio Ordonez wouldn't mind staying in the city of Chicago...as part of the Cubs.

Cubs are doing their damnedest to move Sosa in order to free up money for Beltran. Might come down to them even eating at least half of the salary.

Richard Hidalgo has signed a one year deal with the Rangers.

A's won't get Giles

Tigers don't get Pavano

Beltre maybe to texas?

shit...thats all horrible.

Someone wanna explain why a team that basically missed the playoffs because they had shit for pitching, goes out and their first order of business is to sign a high-priced batter?

If Pavano chooses the Yankees over the Sox..and we finally execute the Randy Johnson trade, our rotation will be arguably be the best in the league. Of course this means that Kevin Brown is healthy, but eh, 1-4 would be very good: Randy Johnson, Mussina, Pavano, Wright.

Maybe Pedro signing with the BoSox would limit what they offer to Pavano? Hopefully?

Someone wanna explain why a team that basically missed the playoffs because they had shit for pitching, goes out and their first order of business is to sign a high-priced batter?

Solve the pitching woes with more batting. It worked for the Yankees last year!

Guest Failed Mascot

Actually it seems that the Mariners have offered Pavano a 5 year deal. I wouldn't want to see Boston outbid or even match that.

Actually it seems that the Mariners have offered Pavano a 5 year deal. I wouldn't want to see Boston outbid or even match that.

How old is he? 27-28? Depends on age. If it's a 48-52 million dollar deal, i'd probably match. Of course it's probably more than that.

Guest OSIcon

Don't think I saw this anywhere in this thread, but the Baltimore Sun squashed the rumor that Neagle might be going to Baltimore. They say the O's have no interest in him.

The entire article where that news bit comes from sheds decent light on what the Orioles are looking for. They aren't pleased with the high salaries that pitchers are getting and won't stary from their "plan" to overpay for a pitcher. They smartly realize that with the exception of Pedro, no other free agent pitcher is a proven ace and they are not going to overpay for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th caliber starter. That's why they'd obviously like to get Hudson, since he is a prove top starter and they wouldn't have to overpay for him (for at least next season).

If they can't get a pitcher, they are content with trying to add a bat or two and the same names are still being mentioned: Delgado, Sexon, and Ordonez.

I can't say I'd be happy if they came away from this off season without a quality, veteran pitcher, though I'd rather they not overpay for a medicore one. The pitching was pretty good the last two months of the seasons after Ray Miller took over, so at least there is hope that they could have a decent staff next year, even if they are unable to pick up a top starter.

As an A's fan it will be sad to see Huddy go if he is indeed traded. Knowing Beane, it will only make the team stronger for the future, but Hudson was the first of the Big Three and was one of the first guys that signaled the return of the A's to prominence after the dreadful years of the mid-90's.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame
Taking a look at the Angels and Dodgers transactions today.

Steve Finley 2 years, $20 million

40 years old in 2005

OPS+ last three years: 109, 112, 110

Jeff Kent 2 years, $17 million

37 years old in 2005

OPS+ last three years: 152, 118, 124

Okay they do play different positions and I know the Angels have the money to spend but don't you think they feel a little silly tonight after the Dodgers signed Kent?

Well Finlay is $14m over two years. Assuming he stays healthy, then I think that is fair. That gives us great run production and great defence in the outfield. Angels fans will bitch that it takes us out of the Beltran sweepstakes, but it also means that we can get a great SS (Cabrera or Renteria) and a great starting pitcher.

That may not have been possible if Beltran signed.

Guest I *Heart* Jeff Weaver
Wells to Boston was a joke, right? That one might push me over the edge.

Sportsline said Yankees and Red Sox are both interested in David Wells.

Guest Failed Mascot

Actually its between two teams right now for David Wells. Those two teams being The Red Sox and Indians. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the Yankees come in and overspend to keep Wells from going to Boston.

Guest I *Heart* Jeff Weaver
. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the Yankees come in and overspend to keep Wells from going to Boston.

Wells has also had success in New York. If he went there it would be more than a Jose Conseco type thing. It's a keep away that also has proven benefits for the team.

Wells is such a no-brainer signing for NY, I don't get why Steinbrenner won't just pull the trigger, unless he's still holding a grudge over Wells jumping to SD last year. No, we'll spend twice as much to bring in some jackass like Milton who'll put up a 5 era and give up 2 homers a start :angry:

I thought San Diego was still in the race to keep him, when did Cleveland get involved?