TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheex Incarnate

Oscar predictions

With the movie year coming to an end, and all the final big oscar talk movies coming out within the next few weeks, and the golden globes announcing their nominations, who do you guys think is gunna get the nods at the academy?

(note: you don't have to have seen the movie to post a prediction it will get nominated)

Best Picture:

The Aviator

Sideways

The Incredibles

Closer

Ray

Actor:

Jamie Foxx, Ray

Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland

Liam Neeson, Kinsey

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator

(I think that Bill Murray (Life Aquatic) and Jim Carrey (Eternal Sunshine) will be residing in Snubsville for the evening. Also if The Assassination of Richard Nixon comes out in time, i expect Sean Penn to get nominated above Giamatti.)

Actress:

Hillary Swank, Million Dollar Baby

Annette Benning, Being Julia

Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake

Audrey Tatou, A Very Long Engagement

Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Director:

Martin Scorsese, The Aviator

Mike Nichols, Closer

Alexander Payne, Sideways

Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda

Walter Salles, The Motorcycle Diaries

Supporting Actor

David Carradine, Kill Bill Vol. 2

Clive Owen, Closer

Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

Thomas Haden Church, Sideways

Billy Bob Thorton, The Alamo

Supporting Actress:

Natalie Portman, Closer

Laura Linney, Kinsey

Virginia Madsen, Sideways

Cate Blanchett, The Aviator

Ashley Judd, De-Lovely

I can tell you right now that you're absolutely wrong.

Passion of the Christ divided too many people to get a Best Picture nomination, it's snub at the Globes showed that.

Ditto Fahrenheit. The fact that Kerry lost the election only hurts Moore's chances

Best Picture:

The Aviator

Sideways

The Incredibles

Closer

Ray

I don't think Ray will get nominated. It was a good movie but only cause of Jamie Foxx. If Nemo didn't get nominated then I don't see Incredibles getting a nod.

I think it will be: Aviator, Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, Hotel Rwanda and a dark horse like Eternal Sunshine.

Actor:

Jamie Foxx, Ray

Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland

Liam Neeson, Kinsey

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator

(I think that Bill Murray (Life Aquatic) and Jim Carrey (Eternal Sunshine) will be residing in Snubsville for the evening. Also if The Assassination of Richard Nixon comes out in time, i expect Sean Penn to get nominated above Giamatti.)

Kinsey has badly faded so I don't think Neeson will get a nod. Life Aquatic is getting poor reviews so out goes Murray. I'd take out Neeson for Cheadle. I think they have to throw Passion something so Cavaziel will get a nod over DiCaprio.

Actress:

Hillary Swank, Million Dollar Baby

Annette Benning, Being Julia

Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake

Audrey Tatou, A Very Long Engagement

Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Surely there's someone who was better then Winslet?

Director:

Martin Scorsese, The Aviator

Mike Nichols, Closer

Alexander Payne, Sideways

Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda

Walter Salles, The Motorcycle Diaries

Terry George directed Hotel Rwanda. Clint gets the nod over Salles.

Supporting Actor

David Carradine, Kill Bill Vol. 2

Clive Owen, Closer

Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

Thomas Haden Church, Sideways

Billy Bob Thorton, The Alamo

Alamo being a huge flop means no to Billy Bob.

Supporting Actress:

Natalie Portman, Closer

Laura Linney, Kinsey

Virginia Madsen, Sideways

Cate Blanchett, The Aviator

Ashley Judd, De-Lovely

I think Ashley is going for best actress and DeLovely bombing means no to her. Don't know who would replace her though.

I would only accept it if BOTH Farenheit 9/11 and The Passion of the Christ were nominated. That way we have a ===><=== affect on their viewpoints

-Cheex

Well one film is about Bush sucks. The other is about Jesus getting killed.

Not total opposites.

It is a shame that they judge the BO instead of the performance, but that's the way the Academy has always acted.

Since this is a poor year, I think they may finally give in to Scorsese, possibly the most gifted director of his generation.

There were some really good-great films this year but it seems no film is really getting **** across the board from all the critics like last year which had dark horse films like In America. (I wish In America had done better too)

"Million Dollar Baby" so far is at 96% on Meta Critic which is the best I've seen. I don't know anyone who's seen it yet but if it is that good maybe Morgan Freeman can finally get an Oscar.

And for best actor I'm fairly certain it goes to Depp to make up for them snubbing for a decade.

I'd rather neither Passion or F9/11 be nominated. Maybe Passion for best directing or cinematography... but as a film, its just two hours of torture. Literally (not as in "it's sooo bad").

Personally I think Spider-Man 2 should be nominated :headbang: but it would never happen. *sigh* A Spidey and Incredibles nomination would make it the coolest oscars in years.

Guest sek69

I doubt the Incredibles will get a Best Picture nod when they have a separate Best Animated Film category now.

When I heard that a film was coming out called Million Dollar Baby, I thought I was in store for a true pile of feces. I thought we were going to be dealing with another Baby Geniuses 2 or Son of the Mask. All I could think about in terms of what the plot could possibly be about, based only on the title, is a film built around the same idea that the TV show The Six Million Dollar Man was about:

We can rebuild the child.

We have the technology.

We have the capability to make the world's first Bionic baby.

________ _________ will be that baby.

Better than he was before.

Better . . . stronger . . . cuter.

So it's safe to say that I was totally wrong. After watching the actual trailer, now I want to check it out, even though it reminds me of The Next Karate Kid...only in Academy Award Winning form.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Best Picture

*Aviator

*Closer

*Finding Neverland

*Hotel Rwanda

*Million Dollar Baby

Best Actor

*Jim Carrey-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

*Leo DeCaprio-Aviator

*Johnny Depp-Finding Neverland

*Jamie Foxx-Ray

*Morgan Freeman-Million Dollar Baby

(won't hav to try selling this one, 3 historically snubbed actors, a popular name and the hot young star who'se so obviously winning it)

where is the love for eternal sunshine?????? best movie i have EVER seen, let alone this year. plus carrey gives the performance of a lifetime (much better than any acting performance from any other male lead) and he isnt nominated?!?!?! please. and you need to find someone better than winslet? hello? have you seen the movie? winslet plays a part very different from anything shes done before and plays it TO PERFECTION! the chemistry between the two should win an oscar alone. even though it was released in march, PLEASE, DO NOT FORGET ETERNAL SUNSHINE! and if you haven't seen it, do so now please!

ps, best original screenplay charlie kaufman? if theres a sure thing, thats it. plus, gondry deserves a nomination, i would think that eastwood or scorsese would win, but gondry deserves a mention.

where is the love for eternal sunshine?????? best movie i have EVER seen, let alone this year. plus carrey gives the performance of a lifetime (much better than any acting performance from any other male lead) and he isnt nominated?!?!?! please. and you need to find someone better than winslet? hello? have you seen the movie? winslet plays a part very different from anything shes done before and plays it TO PERFECTION! the chemistry between the two should win an oscar alone. even though it was released in march, PLEASE, DO NOT FORGET ETERNAL SUNSHINE! and if you haven't seen it, do so now please!

No one here is knocking Eternal Sunshine, least of all me, who LOVED the movie and thought Jim Carrey was tremendous.

But we're making predictions on what the Academy will pick, not what we pick

understandable, i meant the no love comment FOR the academy, and the poster who mentioned winslet's performance. however, it still is the best movie out this year and if the academy snubs it, you will see one very very angry frustrated man!

It'll get the "sorry we snubbed you, here take a best original screenplay nom and like it". Winselt will get a nomination just for the fact she's Kate Winselt.

Carey *might* get a sympathy "uh sorry bout fucking you over the last two times* nod that no one will care about since Foxx is written in stone and Carey won't bother to show up for because it'd be the ultimate fuck you and we know that's carey's intention.

I'm calling it now- Marty gets the Oscar he should have won for Goodfellas.

It is a shame that they judge the BO instead of the performance, but that's the way the Academy has always acted.

Body odor?

Box Office.

Although the LOTR guy certaintly brought in alot of trophies last year and he had his BO stanking up the place. (anyone find it hilarious they put the fat guy next to the emergency exit?)

No Incredibles for best film? I'm outraged.

Anyways my prediction for the movie that will sweep the awards, none other than

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365957/ YOU GOT SERVED!

I'm betting "The Aviator" snags both Picture and director for Scorsese, and from what I've been hearing, DiCaprio deserves to be nominated if nothing else.

I would only accept it if BOTH Farenheit 9/11 and The Passion of the Christ were nominated. That way we have a ===><=== affect on their viewpoints

-Cheex

Well one film is about Bush sucks. The other is about Jesus getting killed.

Not total opposites.

But being how the media simplifies things, those movies came to encompass the red state vs blue state theory and what the movies are really about ceased to matter.

The Passion is viewed as having gotten it's box office take due to the support of cultural and religious conservtives who supported Bush. Farenheit 9/11 is viewed as having gotten it's box office take due to the support of liberals who were against Bush.

Regardless of content, if both were nominated what you for certain wouldn't hear is that the acadamy didn't let one get nominated due to bias.

I think it's too soon to be making any sort of accurate predictions because ther's still a lot of time and political manuvering by the studios to go.

That having been said, it should be noted Farenheit 9/11 was disqualified from all Golden Globe catagories because it was considered a documentary. The Passion was disqualified for Best Picture because any movie that's not in english has to compete in the foriegn film catagory (but it got snubbed there too).

I don't think Farenheit 9/11 has any chance fr a Best Picture nod. It may have a chance at director or screenplay nods if Moore get nominated at the guild awards (Bowilng for Columbine won the Writer's Guild award for Best Original Screenplay).

The Passion has a better shot at a Best Picture ( I think there's more support from within the acadamy). I pretty sure it will get technical nods like Best Cinimatography. If Gibson and Caviezal get DGA or SAG nominations then they have a chance.

Guest Cerebus

Wow I havn't seen hardly any of this crap you guys are talking about. Go me.

Also Gibson has made noise about not having an ad blitz before the Academy selection which got him the good will of a lot of people there. That's a plus for him.

Am I the only one who didn't think "Oh my god, Eternal Sunshine was the best movie ever?" It was okay I suppose. Ironically I thought Winslet would get the nomination here, and likely the script will get nominated since it's a nice gimmick and all. But the best movie I've ever seen? Wouldn't even make the top 100.

Incidentally there are a bunch of no name indie art house movies that look to be nominated this year: ESOFSM, Sideways, Kinsey, Finding Neverland, etc. I do want to see Finding Neverland but it hasn't been on at a convenient theater near me. Whatever happened to movies getting released to a lot of theaters? Do we really need 3 theaters taken up for Blade: Trinity?

EW picks the following to be nominated:

Best Actor:

Don Cheadle

Johnny Depp

Leonardo DiCaprio

Jamie Foxx

Paul Giamatii

Best Actress:

Annette Bening

Catalina Sandino Moreno

Imelda Staunton

Hilary Swank