TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Breakdancingbatista

A Few Opinions Please

Guest Breakdancingbatista

I havnt seen much TNA and were just wondering about a a few wrestlers who I've never had the chance to watch.

If I could have a few opinions on the following:

Alpha Male Monty Brown

Hector Garza

Petey Williams

and are DDP and Sabu any good anymore?

Guest Coffey

Well, I'm a fan of Monty Brown, but I'm not a fan of his card placement. Mainly it's due to my dislike for his finisher. He's still green, but he is rapidly improving. He has a good look, outside of his ring attire. He has a big and bright future, assuming TNA doesn't go out of business. I just don't understand why he doesn't just use that powerbomb of his as his finisher. All of his moves target the back anyway.

Hector Garza I've never been sold on. All of his top rope moves look sloppy to me as they never seem to hit flush. He's put on a lot more muscle since his WCW days. He doesn't overly impress me too much. I think he'd be better off working WWE style truthfully, as sad as that sounds. Less flying would benefit him greatly.

I like Petey Williams. His finisher is a little off-the-wall, but it's still impressive to watch. He's not as sloppy as people like Amazing Red, but he's no Jamie Noble either. As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of wrestlers not botching spots.

I still like DDP. I've never liked Sabu.

Hi, for Monty Brown, unfortunately I can't direct link it, but go here http://www.nwatna.com/superstars/main_stars.shtml for TNA's superstar section. Click on "The Alpha Male" under the top section labeled "TNA Superstar Sites". You'll get a mini site dedicated to Monty Brown. Click on "Music Video" and then click again on the short clip of him doing the Pounce to watch a video package on Brown featuring interviews and many instances of The Pounceeee! Absolutely do this so you can get a taste of Monty Brown. Here is also an interview with him from a few months ago to learn about his background: http://www.nwatna.com/interact/interviews/...6/18/alpha.html

As for an opinion, he's still very green in the ring but he's a decent power wrestler with good speed (he was a former defensive lineman in the NFL) and his move "The Pounce" is very popular with the fans. His interviews and charisma are the best parts about him. He gets very hyped up for his interviews that use a lot of animal analogies.

As for Petey Williams, under the "Team Canada" section on the Superstars page he is the first one listed. You can get some pictures of him there. To learn about Williams background click here for a nice interview with him from a few months ago: http://www.nwatna.com/interact/interviews/...s/williams.html

He's a good all around lightweight wrestler with an incredible flip piledriver finisher called "The Canadian Destroyer". I think someone here has it as an avatar and I'm sure someone could post a gif for you but I'm not sure where to find one.

For some pictures of Hector Garza, he is in the middle of the second column from the right on the superstars page. If you watched WCW in the mid to late 90s, Garza wrestled a few time as one of the luchadors and at the time had long hair and was thinner. He's apparently a pretty big star now in Mexico (I can't claim to have much knowledge of Mexican wrestling though), and has been popular in TNA ever since he led Team Mexico in TNA's series of X division world cup battles. He was originally praised for his heel mannerisms which were quite excellent but quickly became a fan favorite. New booker Dusty Rhodes reportedly wants to push him as their latino star to reach out to that audience. He's bigger than your typical crusiweight but does a graceful moonsault and a spectacular looking finisher called El Tornillo.

Here is a just posted interview with Garza: http://www.nwatna.com/interact/interviews/...arza/garza.html

As for your other questions, DDP is definitely better than his failed WWE run. He's the same seemingly ageless hard worker that he was in WCW. He's pretty much gaurenteed to give you a good match if you can put up with his style (which some say comes off as too pre-planned which is how DDP likes to lay out his matches).

As for Sabu, he is apparently ill with an undisclosed illness and recently a benefit show promoted by TNA agent (and Team Canada manager) Scott D'Amore and worked voluntarily by many TNA talent was put on in his honor to raise money for his medical bills. As for when he was in the ring with TNA, his injuries have obviously left him deteriorated but if you like his style, he still could do more of the same in terms of the table breaking, etc.

The best way to learn about current TNA talent is to check your local listings for Impact! on Fox Sportsnet or Comcast Sportnet and check it out! And I would reccomend if you're really interested to order Final Resolution on January 16th on PPV to watch the best TNA has to offer.

Hope I've helped.

I think he'd be better off working WWE style truthfully, as sad as that sounds. Less flying would benefit him greatly.

I'm not a big fan of the AAA style of wrestling but the sad truth is that compaired to the other members of Team Mexico (Heavy Metal and Asbismo Negro) Hector Garza looks like a champion. If anything Hector Garza can be the next RVD because on the past two weeks I seen several sloppy blown spots, now, I am not sure if it was Jeff Jarret's fault or not but still....

I havnt seen much TNA and were just wondering about a a few wrestlers who I've never had the chance to watch.

Alpha Male Monty Brown

Hector Garza

Petey Williams

Monty - he's got charisma and is a decent big man, lots of potential

Garza - really good all around; one of the few guys they've really done well building up, along with Brown

Petey - great lightweight wrestler with an awesome finisher; lots of people consider him a one-move guy, but he's not

DDP - nothing special anymore; good on the mic, but not much in the ring

Sabu - still holding strong, has a ton of health problems as evidenced by the recent benefit shows, he's not going to be wrestling anymore, save for maybe a couple comeback matches if he's lucky, up until the recent problems, the effort the guy put in every night was absolutely incredible...truly a guy to be respected, if you mean by if he's still good does he still do the table and chair spots that he did in ECW, yes he did still do that hardcore stuff up until the recent influx of injuries

Alpha Male Monty Brown - a lot like early Goldberg. Impressive power-wise, great intensity, but needs to be carried to have a good match. Potential to develop though, as he's still very new to the game.

Hector Garza - has good size but works the X style, better in tag matches IMO. I've yet to see him have a great singles match, and is at his best when his weaknesses are hidden by the performers around him.

Petey Williams - solid. has mat skills and air skills, can keep up with anyone, one of the better all-around hands in the X-Division. Reminds me of Jamie Noble in a lot of ways.

Alpha Male Monty Brown

Uber-green, and pushed to squash all opponents so that he can't really show off any true in-ring knowledge. Of course, I haven't seen the JJ/Brown match from Impact a month or so ago, which is reported to have been REALLY good, but I digress. Brown was better when he first debuted in TNA in the summer of '02 and feuded with Ron "The Truth" Killings and Elix Skipper.

Hector Garza

Very, VERY solid worker, with a lot of charisma and knowledge of psychology. Not overly fast, and definitely a more old-school wrestler, but he does have his fans, and I am one of them. Not World title material, but if TNA were to create a secondary title? He'd definitely be either the champion, or one of the top contenders to it.

Petey Williams

He shows a LOT of promise, but I just can't get over how terrible his finishing maneuver, the Canadian Destroyer, is. It's not that it's terrible in the sense that Hogan's legdrop was, or Rock's People's Elbow, or Scotty's Worm...it's just that it ruins the suspension of disbelief I have because it's OBVIOUS that the person taking the move is doing the majority of the work. The only time it's ever looked good was when somebody was trying to backdrop him, and he nailed it out of that.

Interesting note about Garza...

He is another guy that at one time competed in WWF/E, WCW, and NWA-TNA.

For those that are uninformed, he was part of the 6 man tag match at the 1997 Royal Rumble.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Alpha Male Monty Brown

Hector Garza

Petey Williams

MONTY BROWN IS YOUR GOD.

Monty is going to become a good power wrestler if he ever learns transitions. Hector Garza is a better as a heel. He could be a player on Smackdown if ever offered a deal. He could make it. Petey Williams was one of the best wrestlers to come into the X Division (with a finisher that defy's sensible logic too). DDP is normally good for putting some effort and hustle into his matches. He had a good WCW Nitro-ish match on the last WCW PPV.

Sabu can barely walk. His style of wrestling finally caught up to his body. He's broken down badly over the past 6 years.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
Monty is going to become a good power wrestler if he ever learns transitions.

Yes. He cuts some brilliant promos though, and he's got a great look.

Monty Brown has a lot of potential but he's still green. Good charisma though and is improving to where he can get carried to good matches.

Garza's pretty good, but not great. He's got some charisma.

I agree on people saying Petey Williams reminds them of Jamie Noble. Of course, he's got a sick finisher and a great manager so it helps him a ton. He's a little overrated but is a good wrestler.

Haven't seen DDP wrestle.

Sabu had improved before he got hurt and wasn't blowing nearly as many spots (more like 95/96 Sabu). He's surely not going to be wrestling ever again.