TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Taker666

JBL bashes Internet Writer Wade Keller

"Coming on the heels of the WWE's trip to the Middle East, WWE Champion John Bradshaw Layfield saw fit to respond with a letter to Pro Wrestling Torch writer Wade Keller in regards to Keller's column "Next Year Entertain the Troops and Keep the Politics Out of It" where Keller wants WWE to leave Vince McMahon's political views out of their trips to the Middle East.

Mr. Keller,

I am having trouble with my internet connection over here, I am not sure if the e-mail I sent you went through, so I will try another. I am still in Afghanistan visiting our soldiers, I do this every year with the SMA and the USO, I stayed after everyone left to go home. I am sure you didn't know that because I try to make sure the media doesn't cover it.

I was looking on the Internet to see our ratings, and I saw your column. I wanted to respond.

You are wrong about how much the soldiers get to watch the media on TV. Every mess hall has a TV along with every rec center and gym. They get to see more news than a lot of us do, mainly FOX but also CNN.

Your take on Vince I respectfully believe was wrong. The media has done a bad job of covering the war. They all sit in a hotel in Baghdad reporting the news. They might as well be in Des Moines, I saw no reporters in any FOBs (forward operating bases), and there were no reporters on the ground in Afghanistan. The troops are very sick of how the war is being portrayed, I know this because I have just spent almost two weeks with them.

The morale is high and all of them have sufficient armor when they leave base. Make no mistake, this is a rotten place, and I believe we could have planned better, but the enemy always has a plan also.

I do not believe it is a liberal bias necessarily, I believe it is a tabloid mentality by the media. What Vince did was good for the troops, remember he spent a lot of his money and the company's money to come here, a lot of people who talk about what he did have not been here themselves. By the fact he was here should give him some credibility.

You are entitled to your freedom of speech, I firmly believe that. As long as you believe in America, I have no problem with that. Let me clarify, I believe in Freedom of Speech always, but when a person does not believe in America I have a problem with them (I don't feel this applies to you).

Al Franken is over here with me, and he is a very dear friend. We disagree across the board about politics, we do not disagree about our soldiers and about our love for America, we just think it should be run different ways.

Vince did a great thing by bringing the WWE to Iraq, I feel your criticism was unjustifed. Vince is as good of a person as I have ever met, and a great American, I know you may disagree, but I don't. Look at what he has done over here.

I held the hand of a soldier that was hit in the Mosul attack that had lost almost all of his face to burns, he asked to see me because he was a wrestling fan. If I live a thousand lives I will never replicate that moment, Vince was the reason I was there.

I respectfully ask that you take things in a bigger perspective than your own beliefs, I thought what he did was great.

Now you can go back to bashing me as a terrible champion, which is your right.

John Bradshaw Layfield"

Keller replied to the letter:

WK: I appreciate your comments and value your first-hand perspective. I, too, have gotten first-hand perspective by speaking to friends who have been in Iraq and heard from others with family members in Iraq. There are definitely diverse opinions on the war. Not all are positive and not all are negative. I've definitely heard first-hand of complaints about equipment problems and shortages. I have a hunch the military doesn't send celebrities to areas where equipment problems are a major issue or morale is particularly low.

Obviously there are areas where morale isn't as high, as evidenced by the questions Donald Rumsfeld faced a few weeks back and based on what I'm hearing from people I know who have been over there. The people I know who have been over there were never presented with any entertainment to boost their morale or any celebrity visits. Obviously, not every single soldier can be given the benefits that your charitable and generous efforts provide for others. I think the story of one soldier being ill-equipped is more important than telling of thousands who are - because it should be a given that the soldiers are sent there with proper equipment. If I were president sending kids to war, I'd sell my house and car and cash in my retirement account and sell any oil fields I owned if I thought it would help prevent one more family from losing a loved one. If that were my decision to send someone to war, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't give everything I had to make sure everyone was equipped properly.

As far as soldiers accessing media reports, I was under a different impression from the soldiers I talked with and heard about. I have no doubt, though, that those who do have media access want what the positives of what the are doing to be covered as much if not more so than the negatives.

Regarding the media being negative, the man stealing a purse from an old lady makes news and the other man who helps 12 old ladies across the street isn't going to make news. In a sense, it's the old journalism saying: "Dog bites Man" isn't news, but "Man bits Dog" is news. The public doesn't want to hear about what's commonplace and expected, they want to hear about the unusual and anything that threatens their and their loved one's security. That's why the media (besides laziness in many cases) covers negatives. It's simply, by definition, more newsworthy.

Built into any good reporter's mindset is a distrust of authority - which is healthy and required of a free society to remain free. When the government publicizes good deeds, the media feels their resources should be used to dig up the corruption and the negatives. They don't (or at least shouldn't) be motivated by anything other than wanting to shine a light on the negative so that it doesn't fester or spread.

I don't believe it's healthy to make blanket statements about the media's lack of balanced coverage of the war as a way to scapegoat the media for what might be a poorly planned war. Even many staunch Republicans have big problems with how this war has been waged. There is nothing right-wing or left-wing about critiquing how this war has been planned and executed. Once policy decisions were made, the execution of it should be evaluated on a separate plain from whether we should be there in the first place. The media's focus, from my viewing and reading, has been focused on criticism by public officials - Democrats and Republicans - who believe this administration had a bad plan to begin with, has been inflexible after receiving new information, and is on a course that may cost a lot of lives unnecessarily along the way.

My problem with the Dec. 23 Smackdown was that Vince McMahon chose to politicize a TV program that should have remained pure of politics or media-bashing. By introducing media-bashing and various pro-war (as opposed to pro-troops) messages during the show, it created unneeded controversy. I don't know if you have seen the final edited product yet.

I have bent over backwards, though, to praise Vince McMahon and everyone with WWE who have supported the troops. The second paragraph of my editorial stated: "Vince McMahon did a good thing this week. He and his roster of volunteers dedicated a week before Christmas to travelling half way around the world to entertain soldiers in extremely dangerous and unluxurious conditions. For that he deserves a ton of credit. For that the troops are better. And because of that, I would say more good was done than harm. By far."

My only gripe was that he needlessly introduced politics into the show. Whether it differs with my point of view doesn't matter. I would have had a problem with Mick Foley presenting anti-war or pro-media comments on the show. That's why I also wrote: "It's not right-wing or left-wing to say Vince should have stuck to entertaining the troops and not used the goodwill and good feelings he and his staff and his wrestlers generated to forward a political point of view. Any other week and any other show but this one would be fine. I don't like to see anyone 'used,' especially not our troops. Next year, WWE will be back. And that will be a good thing. I just hope WWE doesn't exploit the circumstances again next year to forward another part of the McMahon agenda."

If you haven't seen the final version of Smackdown yet, maybe you will at least see where I am coming from after seeing it. I have gotten a lot of letters on this matter, and many from conservatives who are pro-war who were also taken aback by the politicalization of the final edit of the show.

Bradshaw forgot to ask for an Amen. Haha, well I'm hypocritical on internet reporters. I certainly don't believe everything I read, but when the event is publicly announced, I feel dumb.

I totally agree with Keller. WWE had an obvious agenda in going to Iraq, that does not make their going bad, but to deny that is insane. Keller always gave them credit for going, and entertaining the troops, but he felt the way they portrayed the troops as all thrilled about the way the war is going was bad. Vince's speech about the media, and just the general tone of Michael Cole and Tazz, showed an obvious disrespect towards the media, and their coverage of the war.

Guest JMA

I think both men make good points, but I tend to side with Keller on this. The media in general focuses on the negative aspects of society; it isn't just limited to the war in Iraq. That's just the way things are and I don't see it changing any time soon. WWE going over to Iraq to entertain the troops was an amazing gesture and they should be commended for that, however, I don't think the "media-bashing" was needed.

That being said, I thought JBL made a good argument (even if I disagree with it).

Guest The Shadow Behind You

The letter basically shows why Bradshaw has reigned for so long.

He's a 35 Year old version of Vince McMahon.

Guest sek69

I love the argument that the reporting is biased because the reporters are holed up in a hotel.

Guess what, they can't leave without getting shot at, so no woner they stay in the hotel.

Didn't a mortar land near one of the bases the SD! crew was visiting? Did JBL see any reporters there or was he too busy shitting his cowboy hat?

Guest LooneyTune

I didn't have to read this without saying "JBL is now my new favorite wrestler".

Edit: Eh... I expected bashing bashing. JBL makes some good points though.

Guest Duncan Eternia

It's good to see JBL countered Keller's article in an intelligent manner. He could have really lashed out if he wanted to. BTW the last line is gold!

Bradshaw actually comes off pretty well in his letter, not like some rightwing hack, walking global corporation disguised as a human being persona he sometimes displays. I just find it highly annoying for people to complain about the "negatives of the war getting the air time" well isn't war an ugly negative thing, regardless of the outcome? A lot of innoncent civilians in Iraq have died in the process, and if this plan for "democracy in Iraq" comes to fruition, I hope they along with all the fallen american and international soldiers are the ones recognized as the heros, not stupid oppurtunistic politicians.

Damn, I'm becoming a Bradshaw fan.

I'm happy he responded, though - I read that editorial by Keller, and I found it to be completely full of shit to begin with.

Guest JMA

I don't usually go to the Torch for my pro wrestling news, but I did find the original report on Smackdown that Wade Keller wrote. For those who don't want to search for it on the Torch website, here it is:

WWE SMACKDOWN

DECEMBER 23, 2004

TAPED DAYS EARLIER IN IRAQ

-The show opened with Vince McMahon strutting to the ring to his "No Chance in Hell" theme song as Michael Cole and Tazz introduced the show. Cole talked about how he and his colleagues had met so many troops in recent days and what a great experience it was. I hope Cole was really there this year, otherwise he shouldn't be including himself.

-Vince McMahon entered the ring and said WWE wrestlers had volunteered to meet the troops and shake hands. He said they were thrilled to be there. He then went into a political speech that was neither right wing or left wing, but just simple-minded anti-media rant, complaining about how the mainstream media coverage has been entirely negative and not focusing enough on the positives of the war in Iraq. Vince McMahon truly believes what he is saying, but more than anything this comes across as a way to use the troops to rip on his no. 1 enemy - the mainstream media. I'd like to know which general who is speaking out against the way the war is being fought shouldn't be interviewed, or which soldier who is questioning the quality of their equipment shouldn't be aired, or which amputee shouldn't shown to get across the realities of war should be kept away from cameras. There aren't any major media entities painting the troops as bad guys or going out of their way to dig up incidents where they are acting in anything but noble ways. But the quality of the war planning and analyzing the rationale to be there should be vigorously debates. There is no better way to show support to the troops than to be sure the political leadership, who historically have been more concerned with their legacy than the safety of the troops or the prudence of the war, are being held accountable. (My journalism college professor, Ronald Ross, was an award-winning journalist who spent years overseas in Vietnam, so I have acquired passionate views on the role of the media during wartime.) Is it great that WWE is entertaining the troops? Absolutely. Should Vince McMahon use it as a political platform from the opening minute of the show? No. That besmirches what should be an apolitical entertaining of the troops.

-McMahon introduced Lilian Garcia, who sang the National Anthem. Cole and Tazz said even though Lilian is usually part of Raw, because she grew up in a military family. She really wanted to make the trip.

[Commercial Break]

-Footage aired of the WWE wrestlers sleeping on the military plane. Kurt Angle said he didn't want any footage shown of him sleeping because his lower lip sticks out and he drools.

1 -- BOOKER T vs. RENE DUPREE

No coincidence that the "prissy French heel" is the first wrestler losing on this show. Cole and Tazz took the opportunity, of course, to point out France's position on the war. Tazz said the French lack testicular fortitude. Cole said: "The morale has been tremendous here all week. Nothing like I expected." Tazz backed up those comments. I wish I felt those were being said only because that's what they experienced, not because that's what the growingly-political Vince McMahon wanted propagated on the show over and over again. Booker T wins easily with a scissors kick.

WINNER: Booker T at 3:23.

STAR RATING: 1/2* -- Just a TV squash.

-A female soldier was interviewed, talking about how she and her husband are going to cross paths as she returns home and he is sent overseas, and they'll only have a short time to spend together.

[Commercial Break]

-Clips aired of wrestlers talking, including Mick Foley stating that things are not as grim as they've seen on the evening news. I can't believe the military didn't send WWE to the place where things are a disaster and morale was bad so it could be broadcast on UPN two days before Christmas for the nation to see. JBL was portrayed as a big babyface (big surprise given the political tone of the show) in entertaining the troops with stories and cheerleading. By no means do the political undertones take away from the genuine smiles by WWE personnel and the troops, which ultimately superseded any of the negatives that come from McMahon politicizing the trip.

[Commercial Break]

-More clips aired of WWE wrestlers interacting with soldiers.

-A man dressed as Santa walked to the ring. He introduced Dawn Marie, Jackie, and Torrie who hugged the troops who were lucky enough to have front row positioning. Jackie and Dawn got into a fight. Torrie then reveals that Santa was really Mick Foley. Cole then said, "The soldiers here are proud of their duty, proud of their fight, proud of their job. Because of this, many soldiers deciding to reenlist for duty right here in Iraq." Why do I suspect that line was scripted word-for-word by McMahon. They showed a soldier talking about how he's made the best friends of his life while serving overseas, then reenlisting for five years as Rey Mysterio, Vince, Torrie, Undertaker, and Booker T held up an American flag in the background.

[Commercial Break]

-A soldier who is a mother of a three year old talked about how tough it was to miss Christmas with her son.

2 -- UNDERTAKER vs. HEIDENREICH

Taker got enough near falls that Heidenreich grew frustrated and escaped into the crowd. Cole drew an analogy between Heidenreich and the Iraqi troops.

WINNER: Undertaker via countout in 5:00.

STAR RATING: 3/4*

-A touching clip aired of a solder talking about how it's been ten-and-a-half months since he saw his wife and newborn and two other children. Then he revealed he would be home for Christmas, saying his wife wouldn't know about it until she watched the show and saw him say it.

[Commercial Break]

-Rey Mysterio, Foley, Big Show, Lillian, and Angle talked about how the trip was a life-changing experience and highlight for them. Rey, Booker, and Lillian all said they wanted to come back next year. Rey added that he hoped there wouldn't be a war next year to come back to, though. Eddie Guerrero talked about the deep, deep sense of gratitude he felt toward the troops. Lilian teared up and said the troops would be in her prayers. Now this is the good stuff about a show like this. Not political or agenda-based, just 100 percent heartfelt and uncontroversially true - that the troops are the real heroes of this country and they deserve praise and acclaim saying so in no uncertain words.

[Commercial Break]

3 -- HARDCORE HOLLY vs. KENZO SUZUKI

Kenzo wrestled barefoot, pointed out by Cole and Tazz. Holly won clean.

WINNER: Holly in 3:00.

STAR RATING: 1/2*

[Commercial Break]

-JBL drove to the ring in a humvee and then walked out dressed up in a bio-hazard suit covering his entire body. Cole said JBL said last week he was scared to come into a warzone. I can't believe WWE is concerned about Randy Orton being seen in public with Triple H since their feuding on the air, but then show JBL being a babyface throughout the show, smiling with troops with normal clothes, and then portray him in-character in this skit. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, I'm just saying that those two policies seem a bit contradictory. JBL unmasked and said, "Okay, I admit I'm a little nervous." He said his accommodations were atrocious, the food didn't "have an exit strategy," and their toilet paper made him "rough downstairs, if you know what I'm saying." He then took credit for "doing their job" by taking credit for killing Saddam's sons and capturing Saddam. He got booed a little for that. He then took a pro-beer stance and got some cheers. He thanked the troops for supporting him and said, "I know everybody here wants to chant his name." He asked them to do it in a whisper so the enemy doesn't know where we are." He said he was going back to his Four Seasons in New York City and he'd see them all again when they start a war someplace else. Who would have thought the most left-wing-sounding speech would come from JBL? Unfortunately for WWE, JBL was treated as a top star because last time most of these troops watched WWE TV, he was a lower-card tag team wrestler. JBL tripped. The troops laughed. Big Show then walked out and told JBL that every WWE superstar is there in support of the armed forces. "We are here to pay tribute to them, not you," said Show. "You look like an aluminum foil pile of chicken crap. Honestly, I think you're a deserter." (Uh, isn't that Randy Orton?) Big Show headbutted JBL out of the ring, drawing big cheers from the troops. Big Show apparently didn't have razors on the trip since his hair began to grow back.

[Commercial Break]

-Booker T said he's only been there a few days, and many soldiers have been there years. He said it really makes you appreciate every breathing moment. One soldier was interviewed saying "there are good days and there are bad days," but as long as everyone back home supports them, it makes it all worthwhile. Rey, Angle, and Holly talked about their unqualified support for the troops. One of the soldiers in a leadership position told Angle he hopes they aren't there next year to see him again. Cole said, "The American spirit alive and well."

[Commercial Break]

4 -- EDDIE GUERRERO & REY MYSTERIO vs. KURT ANGLE & LUTHER REIGNS

WINNERS: Guerrero & Mysterio at 6:00.

STAR RATING: *1/2 -- This show wasn't about quality wrestling or forwarding storylines, it was about presenting some decent action and babyfaces winning. The show accomplished that.

-A music video ended the show featuring clips of WWE personnel visiting the troops. You'd have to not be human to not have fought back a few tears while watching the smiles and tears of the troops in various scenes, especially the injured ones. The video ended with Vince McMahon talking about the "fighting spirit" of the American soldiers.

I'm not a fan of Wade at all, but he does have a point. The Smackdown in Iraq should have been about entertaining the troops, and not been used by Vince has a platform to attack anyone, much less people who have commited the terrible crime of having a different opinion.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I thought Vince kind of went off a bit, but thats what he does. If you listen to most of the media (except FOX News), you will only hear the negative. In front of the troops, Vince tried to put a positive and uplifting spin on things.

The thing I dont like about Keller is that he's talking about Iraq like he's been there. Bradshaw has actually been in Iraq several times, my guess is that Keller wont ever get out from behind his desk, much less head into a war zone.

I'm as Anti-American when it comes to this war, but I see no fault in what Vince or the WWE did.

Guest LooneyTune

I don't know, probably to get it off his chest or something. Hard to understand what Vince McMahon is thinking sometimes.

I thought the point of the show was to entertain and uplift morale for our boys over there, so Vince ranting against the media's portrayal of the situation on the ground kind of goes hand in hand with that. If I were a soldier I would have been like, "FUCK YEAH VINCE!" Whether or not they should have aired that is another thing, but personally I didn't have a problem with it, and I'm pretty liberal and don't even agree that the media has been negative, but whatever, it's not like anyone takes Vince seriously, he's an entertainer.

Guest Trivia247

Stuart Smalley: You will remain WWE Champion for a Long time because.......

JBL: Im good enough, Im smart enough, and Dog Gone, people like me.

Vince's tirade was about one thing: poor widdle victim Vince McMahon. Not about the war or the political views, and no, no even about the troops. It was woe as me Vince McMahon. It's the media's fault the XFL didn't catch... I mean, the war is being portrayed so negatively. He just latched his "persecution" on to something he thought the troops would cheer. Stephanie did the same thing (much more blatantly and tactlessly) post 9/11. It's in their blood.

And wise ol' man of the world Bradshaw is a complete naif if he thinks he's seen the real dirty parts of the war. Any visiting entertainers would be guarded like the president over there. If something goes wrong and one of them gets killed, there would be a huge backlash against the war.

Guest LooneyTune

So when did it become illegal to want to stroke your own ego and lift the spirits of soldiers stuck in hell (also known as Irawg) at the same time?

Guest LooneyTune

People will bitch no matter what Vince does. If he didn't do anything, he'd be ignoring the war. If he did it without bragging, people would say he did it for his own ego. And when he actually does do it, the same thing as before.

It's a lose-lose situation, so let him brag.

People will bitch no matter what Vince does. If he didn't do anything, he'd be ignoring the war. If he did it without bragging, people would say he did it for his own ego. And when he actually does do it, the same thing as before.

It's a lose-lose situation, so let him brag.

That makes absolutely no sense.

The fact that he feels he needs to brag during the show in Iraq shows he, at least, did it partially for his own ego.

If he would have just put the show out there without giving a self-serving speech to the troops about the American media, and then later feeding lines about troop morale to Cole and Tazz, there wouldn't be nearly as much discussion about his true intentions.

Guest LooneyTune

I meant if he did the show, people would say he was just doing it for publicity regardless if he said anything or not about the war and what he was doing.