TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

http://anaheim.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/a...r_ana&fext=.jsp

ANAHEIM -- Angels Baseball Monday announced the team has changed its official name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. This change is effective January 3, 2005.

The inclusion of Los Angeles reflects the original expansion name awarded by Major League Baseball in December 1960 and again returns the Angels as Major League Baseball's American League representative in the Greater Los Angeles territory that Major League Baseball expects the team to serve.

The Los Angeles region, which is comprised of Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties, is the second largest media market in the country. This name change will strengthen the Angels' long-term economic health by enhancing the marketability through this metropolitan area and beyond.

Angels Baseball and the "A" brand will continue to be the marketing focus of the organization and Angels Stadium of Anaheim remains the home of the 2004 defending American League Western Division Champions.

The Angels have enjoyed tremendous success in Anaheim, highlighted by a World Championship in 2002. The organization will continue to work closely with the City of Anaheim in promoting the Anaheim community, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, and the Angels' baseball experience.

Don't forget about the defending champion Greater Boston and Mostly New England Too Since It's All One Place Anyway Located In the NE US on Planet Earth in This Solar System Red Sox

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Congratulations, Mr. Moreno, you have managed to come up with a name that sounds dumber than "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim"...

I don't really blame him, though. Nobody would ever care about the Schaumburg White Sox, or the Passaic Mets.

Or the Auburn Hills Pistons and Seacaucus Giants/Jets?

And I'm still waiting to see the Bucs play a football game in the water...

Okay, I forgot the guy's name, he died like a year or two ago around Christmastime, but he was like some hockey pioneer. Anyhoo, the St. Louis Blues were in a sad state of affairs, they were padlocked out of their arena, bankrupt, all of that. This guy was going to move the team to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, where they would be renamed, you guessed it, the Saska Tunes. I'm not making this up. Either the league blocked the move (wow, what a concept, guys!) or the Blues got their shit together, because the Saska Tunes never saw the light of day. Which saddens me. And possibly Banky.

Ok, I'm out of the loop. why did they change their name from the California Angels anyway?

okay here goes

1961ish: Team starts off at Wrigley Field No Not That One The Other One It's In L.A, as the Los Angeles Angels.

They moved to Dodger Stadium and stayed as the LA Angels the next year.

Around let's say 1966 they built Anaheim Stadium and they moved out of Dodger Stadium, which made a lot of sense seeing as they weren't the Dodgers. Not being in Los Angeles anymore, and not having the A's and Padres to bring it up to five teams in the state, they just said to hell with it and became the California Angels.

Then Disney bought the team in 1997 and revamped the team as the Anaheim Angels, to go along with the Mighty Ducks. This also included wearing periwinkle.

Arte Moreno then bought the team in 2003 and proceeded to wear a sombrero with an Angels logo, which was cute. Then he decided the Anaheim Angels sounded too small-town for Big-Time Arte, so he dropped all Anaheims from the uniforms, logos, and everything he could, except the pesky Angel Stadium of Anaheim, which he just wanted to be Angel Stadium. I think between October and now they were officially "Angels Baseball."

Then he decided he wanted to be the Los Angeles Angels again and the city of Anaheim, which refurbished the stadium from the dual-purpose thing it was when the Rams where there into the current deal with the goofy mountain shit in left-center were all OMGWTF NO and there you have it: Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim.

Guest Phenom

I don't think that name could be any worse. Unless it was 'Angels of Southern California, Not Including San Deigo.' Then I would lose faith in humanity.

Guest Smues

What a joke. I hope this change is too late to make it into this years MLB video games.

I want to see the hockey season start up again so I can see the Manhattan Rangers battle the Uniondale Islanders or the East Rutherford Devils.

Well, at least my Landover Redskins won yesterday though why they changed away from a perfectly good Raljon Redskins moniker, I'll never know. Stupid Snyder.

I want to see the hockey season start up again so I can see the Manhattan Rangers battle the Uniondale Islanders or the East Rutherford Devils.

Well, at least those teams are named correctly for their city/state. Unlike, say, the NFL's Giants, Jets and Indigenous Persons. Or the NBA's world champion Auburn Hills Pistons.

Patriots get a pass because they are in the area known as "New England", even if that area happens to cover a few states (in 2006, expect Rogers Communications to rename the Blue Jays the Canada Jays, with 500 new uniform types and zero star players).

And what's the deal with the Golden State Warriors? Go with Bay Area Warriors, or California Warriors.

I think the deal is that not many people care about the Warriors...

And what's the deal with the Golden State Warriors? Go with Bay Area Warriors, or California Warriors.

I think the deal is that not many people care about the Warriors...

Being from the Bay Area, the hardcore Warriors fans have been trying to get them to change the name to Oakland Warriors. But no one gives 2 shits what the fans want.

Guest Vitamin X

It makes sense wanting to be more associated with Los Angeles rather than Anaheim. But not both.

Why not call them the Orange County Angels instead?

This is so fucking stupid. Thing is, they are NOT IN LA! I mean, literally not in Los Angeles county. They are in Orange County, and that is not the same as LA.

I don't care what anyone says: my pick for the Cy Young this year is Roy Halladay of the Toronto-Scarborough-Oshawa-Oakville-Guelph-And-We-Might-As-Well-Include-The-Rest-Of-Canada-In-Here-Because-Baseball-Fucked-Us-Out-Of-Our-Other-Team Blue Jays.

And I thought the territorial dispute between the Mid-Atlantic Area Orioles of Baltimore and the Washington Nationals of Anacostia was stupid...