TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nl5xsk1

Why do you hate ... who you hate?

What I'm wondering when you say to be a true fan of someone you had to like them during a certain era when they were doing badly......what if you didn't watch football during that era? What then?

As long as you still root for that team after the glory years have passed, you're a true fan. If you conveniently change allegiances when the team starts to fall apart, then you're not.

I agree with that, also, with all due respect Dama , it does not help when you say you are also a fan of the Chiefs. When you use descriptions like "true" and "diehard" (from the other thread) to describe your fandom, it doesn't help when you then mention you are a fan of two teams.

The only team I hate is the Dallas Cowboys. I don't like the Giants, Redskins, Bucs, New Jersey Devils or Tampa Bay Lightning. But the only team I actively despise is Dallas.

What I'm wondering when you say to be a true fan of someone you had to like them during a certain era when they were doing badly......what if you didn't watch football during that era? What then?

As long as you still root for that team after the glory years have passed, you're a true fan. If you conveniently change allegiances when the team starts to fall apart, then you're not.

I agree with that, also, with all due respect Dama , it does not help when you say you are also a fan of the Chiefs. When you use descriptions like "true" and "diehard" (from the other thread) to describe your fandom, it doesn't help when you then mention you are a fan of two teams.

The only team I hate is the Dallas Cowboys. I don't like the Giants, Redskins, Bucs, New Jersey Devils or Tampa Bay Lightning. But the only team I actively despise is Dallas.

Well it's really easy. The Chiefs are AFC. The Eagles are NFC.

I root for the Eagles over the Chiefs. However when the Eagles aren't available I'll root for the Chiefs.

Now if it comes down to the Eagles/Chiefs in the Super Bowl......I'm a happy camper, I can sit back and enjoy.

But I really don't own any Chiefs stuff. I just root for them when they're on and hope for them to do well over the rest of the AFC.

However I have tons of Eagles shit and have gone out of my way to watch an Eagles game(like calling into work sick).

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

I hate Manchester City Football Club.

The Players, the fans, the stadium name, the lies spread by the fans, the fans and everything the club stands for.

And I hate their lying bitter twisted fans.

-Red Wings - beat the Flyers for the Cup, and have the nerve to call themselves "Hockeytown" (you'd think Montreal would claim that)

Canadian announcers always refer to it as Hockeytown, USA, which can be justified in my opinion.

But I agree with you, Montreal is the real Hockeytown, and this is coming from a Red Wings fan.

Toronto has a better claim of being 'Hockeytown" than Montreal, regardless of how many more Cups the Habs have won.

MLB:

Yankees: I've had to deal with their fans for most of my life and I just hate everything about them. I respect them for three-peating though.

Marlins: Fuck Jeff Loria.

Phillies: Divisional rivals

Mets: Even though the rivalry is kinda dead, I still root against them.

NBA:

Raptors: They perenially underachieve and just are a chore to follow and read about in the paper.

Pacers: The rivalry the Knicks and the Pacers had in the 90s caused me to hate Reggie Miller with a passion and thus hate the Pacers.

Lakers: Kobe.

NHL:

Senators: I'm a Leafs fan so I enjoy seeing them do poorly.

Habs: See above.

Rangers, Islanders, Avalanche, Red Wings, Flyers, Thrashers (why does Atlanta have a hockey team) are other teams I hate.

NFL:

San Fransisco 49ers: They seem to have written the book on bandwagon fans and also are rivals with the Saints.

Rams: Rivals with the Saints.

Jets: At the moment- for not beating the Rams

Eagles: Because they're the Eagles.

Bucs: Rivals with the Saints

Vikings: Just because

I root for the Eagles over the Chiefs. However when the Eagles aren't available I'll root for the Chiefs.

Now if it comes down to the Eagles/Chiefs in the Super Bowl......I'm a happy camper, I can sit back and enjoy.

But I really don't own any Chiefs stuff. I just root for them when they're on and hope for them to do well over the rest of the AFC.

However I have tons of Eagles shit and have gone out of my way to watch an Eagles game(like calling into work sick).

Well, the "diehard" comment makes you look dumb after you've admitted to liking numerous teams.

That comment makes me doubt most of what you say because that's what a diehard fan is! It's going through the tough times and cheering teams even when they suck and go 1-15 or 3-13. To be a diehard fan, you can't just flick a switch on/off and say I like this team cause they're winning and doing well so they'll replace this other team because they did poorly.

It's like you're bandwagoning, or jumping from team to team based on how successful they are. It's like saying you're a fan of Oklahoma, then they go 4-8 and you go off and start saying that you like Virginia Tech because they went 10-2 and are in a bowl game.

This isn't as much a personal attack on you as it is a probable explanation for people seemingly jumping down your throat. In your example, you'd be a diehard fan of the Eagles but be considered by most to be a fairweather or bandwagon fan of the Chiefs.

Being a Tampa sports fan I pretty much hate all teams from Philly but beyond that:

MLB:

Yankees: Not only because of their fans and management but because Tampa is fucking Yankee South and I cant stand that.

NFL:

Panthers: Not only because they're a divisional rival but because they seem to win in the most fluky ways ever. I'm still not convinced Jake Delhomme is a good QB he throws off target all the time and his recievers somehow come down with the ball, I just hate watching them cause theyre really not that good.

Rams: Mike Martz, need I say more

NHL:

Panthers: While the Lightning got jobbed in their expansion draft the Panthers were set up to be competitive from day one and were 4 games away from winning the Cup (thank you Patrick Roy). Plus they've had douchebags like Peter Worrell on their team. It just gave me great joy to watch Rick Dudley do NOTHING with them and get fired after two years.

NFL

Patriots (I can't stand Tom Brady's smug little face)

Packers (hate the Favre BJs, though some of the other players on the team seem pretty fine)

Eli Manning

NHL

Leafs (suck)

Hurricanes (team just doesn't belong there)

Devils (does anyone like the Devils?)

Mikka Kiprusoff (damn you!)

Wild (still hate them after the Nucks/Wild series a couple of years ago)

Well, the "diehard" comment makes you look dumb after you've admitted to liking numerous teams.

That comment makes me doubt most of what you say because that's what a diehard fan is! It's going through the tough times and cheering teams even when they suck and go 1-15 or 3-13. To be a diehard fan, you can't just flick a switch on/off and say I like this team cause they're winning and doing well so they'll replace this other team because they did poorly.

It's like you're bandwagoning, or jumping from team to team based on how successful they are. It's like saying you're a fan of Oklahoma, then they go 4-8 and you go off and start saying that you like Virginia Tech because they went 10-2 and are in a bowl game.

This isn't as much a personal attack on you as it is a probable explanation for people seemingly jumping down your throat. In your example, you'd be a diehard fan of the Eagles but be considered by most to be a fairweather or bandwagon fan of the Chiefs.

Yet I still cheered the Chiefs this year hoping that they would somehow put something together and make the playoffs. So it doesn't really hold ground b/c it was a tough year for the Chiefs after last year and I still cheered for them.

And you can't ask me where I was during the tough years for the Eagles b/c I wasn't around for them! I watched it when I was a kid and liked Randall Cunningham. I quit watching until last year and started watching the Eagles again and the Chiefs. The Chiefs had a tough year but I still cheered them.

And you guys act like i'm making a list of about 10 NFL teams and declaring myself a huge fan of them. I've named 2 teams. That's not as many as you guys make it out to be. And I'm a bigger fan of the Eagles than I am of the Chiefs but I still fucking like the Chiefs and I'm still always going to fucking cheer them and nothing is going to change that. And you guys really need to get over this b/c it's become an obsession for everyone on the board when nothing you guys say about me and my fandom is remotely true.

OU just got blasted in the National Title game and embarassed and I'm still as big of a fan as I was before the game.

The Chiefs just has an awful year and I'm still a fan.

If the Eagles get blasted this weekend(which i don't think they will)then I'll still put on my fucking Eagles hat and I'll still walk around and support the Eagles. SO fucking get over it I'm not a fairweather fan of any teams and the argument is old and pretty much just trolling at this point.

Guest Failed Mascot

Diehard sports fans have one team who above all else they would cheer for. If the Cheifs and Eagles made the Super Bowl you would be flip-flopping back and forth during the course of the game saying who you like based on who's winning.

I'm a DieHard Patriots fan who enjoys watching the Minn Vikings too because of Slayer. Still, if the Pats and Vikings met in the Super Bowl I would want the Pats to absolutely crush the Vikings and make them look stupid.

Diehard sports fans have one team who above all else they would cheer for. If the Cheifs and Eagles made the Super Bowl you would be flip-flopping back and forth during the course of the game saying who you like based on who's winning.

I'm a DieHard Patriots fan who enjoys watching the Minn Vikings too because of Slayer. Still, if the Pats and Vikings met in the Super Bowl I would want the Pats to absolutely crush the Vikings and make them look stupid.

Did you not hear me say that I like the Eagles over the Chiefs?

So yes I would root for the Eagles over the Chiefs but if the Chiefs one my heart wouldn't be crushed b/c I like them too. Yes I'd be disappointed the Eagles didn't win but I'd be happy for the Chiefs.

So you guys are still wrong.

-Red Wings - beat the Flyers for the Cup, and have the nerve to call themselves "Hockeytown" (you'd think Montreal would claim that)

Canadian announcers always refer to it as Hockeytown, USA, which can be justified in my opinion.

But I agree with you, Montreal is the real Hockeytown, and this is coming from a Red Wings fan.

Toronto has a better claim of being 'Hockeytown" than Montreal, regardless of how many more Cups the Habs have won.

Um.

No.

Toronto is not "Hockeytown" at all unless its the Leafs, and besides that, the crowd is rarely into the games, and the whole lower deck doesn't show up throughout halfway of the first period.

It really showed how much Toronto is a "Hockeytown" during the World Cup.

Guest Failed Mascot
Did you not hear me say that I like the Eagles over the Chiefs?

So yes I would root for the Eagles over the Chiefs but if the Chiefs one my heart wouldn't be crushed b/c I like them too. Yes I'd be disappointed the Eagles didn't win but I'd be happy for the Chiefs.

So you guys are still wrong.

No we aren't, because you just admitted it yourself. You wouldn't be crushed if the team you "love" loses to another team.

This is why people rag on you. You can't even grasp simple concepts and the fact that you contradict yourself a billion times before telling people they're wrong.

Because you are wrong. I love the Eagles. But I like the Chiefs. What do you want me to do? Denounce the Chiefs and try to resist liking them? It's not going to happen. Renounce the Eagles and try not to get crazy when I get into discussions about them? Not going to happen.

I'm the only Eagles fan that I know off of the internet. So what you saw me doing with OU to you guys I do with the Eagles to everyone I know. My mom is a Packers fan so it got especially crazy last year in the divisional round.

So no I'm not going to quit liking the Chiefs and I'm still going to love the Eagles and be a diehard fan of them. I hope the Eagles win the Super Bowl every year. I hope the Chiefs make it to the Super Bowl and lose to the Eagles every year. It's that simple.

And now you guys can get over it b/c it is trolling at this point. I'm trying to post and you guys want to get into these huge fights with me and cause trouble.

Everyone complains about me starting shit over OU so whenever I just sit back and post like normal and try to be good everyone says "That's not right. I gotta start shit with him." and proceeds to start as much shit as possible.

Guest Failed Mascot

This is why you should have stayed banned. I don't know how to break it down in terms that you would understand. Since there's no large colored chalk to write with and show you how you keep contradicting yourself and everything in terms you would grasp I'll leave it be and hope your computer blows up so the rest of us can talk intelligent sports.

Guest Failed Mascot

Also since I know alkeiper or PK will read this sooner or later, can one of you explain that disagreeing with somebody and backing it up with logical statements isn't trolling the person?

Because you're wrong? Because you are.

I love the Eagles. You can't change that. You can't change me being a fan of them and you can't stop me from cheering for them.

You also can't start me being a fan of the Chiefs.

And like I said I don't like them as much as the Eagles but I still love them.

So get over it. If all you want to do is start fights then don't post to me. Don't reply to anything I say and just ignore me. Otherwise you're just going to keep trolling me b/c you're seemingly incapable of doing anything else.

Also since I know alkeiper or PK will read this sooner or later, can one of you explain that disagreeing with somebody and backing it up with logical statements isn't trolling the person?

Because you're wrong.

You are flat out wrong about my fandom and you still insist that you are right. I am telling you that you are wrong but you won't listen. You just keep trying to start shit with me. You have done it since I arrived back at this forum. You are wrong.

We're not saying you should stop liking one team Dama...damn.

It's just like when the Patriots and Cowboys, both teams I like and one team(Patriots) I'm diehard for, face off in a game. I want the Patriots to crush the Cowboys and if they lose, I'll be pissed. Being a diehard is basically living through that team. It's like if you were a fan of both Oklahoma and USC. With USC crushing Oklahoma, they'd be "well I like USC too so it doesn't hurt that bad" whereas you're a diehard for Oklahoma so when they lost, you were crushed yes? That's why we're taking you to task. You've admitted that as a fan of the the Eagles, a team you're no doubt diehard for, you wouldn't be as crushed if they lost to the Chiefs than if they lost to any other team in the Super Bowl.

Panthers: While the Lightning got jobbed in their expansion draft the Panthers were set up to be competitive from day one and were 4 games away from winning the Cup (thank you Patrick Roy). Plus they've had douchebags like Peter Worrell on their team. It just gave me great joy to watch Rick Dudley do NOTHING with them and get fired after two years.

Peter Worrell is not a douchebag, he's a tremendously nice man.

Bob, how can you hate the Phillies.  It is like hating a retard, there is no point to hating as they are not a threat to anything.  I don't care if they are a division rival or not.

Still bitter over 1993.

And they've been second-third place over the past few years so I have to hate them on general principle

Guest BobbyWhioux

MLB:

The Dodgers: Mostly because as a Giants fan I have to. It's a weird sort of hate, though; I've actually been pulling for them to improve lately, because it'll be more fun to hate them and revel in the Giants beating them now that they're good again.

The Yankees: For being able to treat the rest of the major leagues like a second farm system. And for winning way more, historically, than anyone else. And for the obnoxious bandwagon fans I have to deal with, people who've never even BEEN to New York City, let alone lived there at one point, people who think the success of the team makes THEM more successful people because they are "fans" of the team. I look forward with great anticipation to their next stretch of "lean years" although I probably won't enjoy them as much as I think I would now. I'm kinda disappointed in myself, but my hatred of the Yankees diminishes when they suck. I'm not a die-hard Yankee hater; I merely resent any addition to their resume of success, which is already far and away superior to any other major league team.

NFL:

The Cowboys: I have always hated and resented the "America's Team" moniker, and consider it arrogant and presumptuous. And as an American, I refuse to be represented by that team. If they are "America's Team" then it is because they represent everything ugly and bad in America today that true patriots are embarrassed by and would wish to improve. As if that were not enough, during their up years their nationwide base of bandwagon fans are every bit as bad if not worse than the Yankee fans (in fact I'd suspect a scientific survey would reveal a high overlap between the two groups). Earlier on in the thread, somebody asked if we only hate the teams we hate during their successful runs, and if that hate diminishes when they fall flat on their face in lean years. Most of the time for me, that is true. It is not true with the Cowboys. For me, the Cowboys can never suck enough. Every team that plays them is my second-favorite team... a close second place. I am rapt with Schadenfreude whenever one of their draft picks or big free agents turns out to be an expensive bust. I do the dance of joy around my TV every time they lose. Any playoff year they do not qualify for is a good playoff year (even this one). I love the 72 Dolphins for destroying them in the Super Bowl. I love the Bradshaw-era Steelers for beating them in two other Super Bowls. I love Joe Montana and Dwight Clark for sending them tumbling into a decade long pit of mediocrity with one 6 yard pass. 1993 was the greatest Thanksgiving ever because of Leon Lett's bonehead play causing them to lose. I want Jerry Jones to endure every one of the Trials of Job as karmic punishment for owning the Cowboys. I want to see the Cowboys go 0-16. Over and over again. If they ever become a Super Bowl Contender again I may have to stop watching football. I almost get hard when I'm laughing at Dallas Cowboy misfortune. In fact, on a related note, I could meet the most beautiful, charming, sexy, intelligenct, caring young woman in the world, and fall madly in love with her, and we could be perfect for each other in every respect, and if she turned out to be a Cowboy fan I would still dump her on the spot and gladly be a bitter lonely old man who never gets any for the rest of my days, rather than put my "strong safety" into the vagina of a woman who cheers for that football team.

I do not like the Dallas Cowboys.

Bob, how can you hate the Phillies.  It is like hating a retard, there is no point to hating as they are not a threat to anything.  I don't care if they are a division rival or not.

Still bitter over 1993.

And they've been second-third place over the past few years so I have to hate them on general principle

I would've thought the fate they were handed in the World Series would've eased that somewhat.

Guest sek69

MLB

Yankees: Same reason as everyone else, and Yankee fans who act as if people hate them for no reason.

Mets: Lingering hate from the Mets-Pirates feud in the late 80s early 90s when the Pirates were contending in the NL East.

Barry Bonds: For being an asshole then turning around and calling everyone who points it out a racist.

NHL

Gary Bettman: For being a retard who's going to go down as the man who killed hockey in the US.

NFL

Ravens: One miracle Super Bowl win and this team will be forever blown as the greatest defense ever because of Murderin' Ray Lewis. It is funny when they all talk shit before they play the Steelers then they get their asses handed to them.

Browns: Their constant sucking since their rebirth has cooled things down a lot, but I'm from Pittsburgh and its a law we all have to hate the Browns.

Cowboys: Another long term Steelers rivalry that was reborn when they beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

General

Fans who constantly make excuses for athletes' asshole behavior.

New York sports fans who continually gloat about how all their teams will kick your team's ass. (I got someone on another board I go to busting my balls on how the Jets are going to destroy the Steelers. ) I mean I can understand Yankee fans cause at least they can be reasonably sure of a championship every year, but Giant or Jet fans? Or Ranger and Islander fans?

I love the 72 Dolphins for destroying them in the Super Bowl.

Um, the Dolphins lost to the Cowboys in the SB. Wasn't even close. The Dolphins beat the Redskins (undefeated season) & Vikings in the '70's for their 2 SB wins.