TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

PS2 Questions

My PS2 finally went kaput. I will try to get a temporary fix, but assuming that fails, I want to know which version of the PS2 I should try to buy, the original or the slimmed down model. In particular I would like one that is the least likely to break of the two. Can anybody help?

Everyone I know who has bought and used a regular PS2 has had some kind of problems with it sooner or later. I haven't heard such stories about the slim version.

EDIT: but when I thought real hard about it, I only know maybe two people who've bought the slim one, so nevermind, the sample isn't nearly big enough to be statistically significant.

Everyone I know who has bought and used a regular PS2 has had some kind of problems with it sooner or later. I haven't heard such stories about the slim version.

I bought a used PS2 in August of 2001 and I'm still using it, and I never needed it repaired. I have to keep the lens clean, but otherwise...

Guest SpiderFan

I've had my PS2 since launch day, and I've never had a problem with it. Guess I'm lucky. :headbang:

I got mine for Christmas 2001 and it's still chugging along. All I have to do is occasionally clean the lens.

I don't think they even make the bigger systems anymore, so all you can probably get are the new thin ones.

Yeah, I think the only way you're going to get one of the big ones is to buy one used or refurbished. But really, you're only paying another $20 or so to get a brand new slim one.

My PS2 finally went kaput. I will try to get a temporary fix, but assuming that fails, I want to know which version of the PS2 I should try to buy, the original or the slimmed down model. In particular I would like one that is the least likely to break of the two. Can anybody help?

I had the same problem, so I went and bought the newer verison (which I knew was small, but didn't realize just HOW small until I took it out of the box). It was priced $50CDN more than a refurb though. Still, I wasn't exactly impressed with the 2 week warranty that EBGames had, and since my brother had gotten me a gift card from there, I was pretty much stuck there.

I'll probably put my busted console on eBay, as there seems to be a market for it.

Well, I managed to fix it. The stupid tray wouldn't open. Thanks anyways.

I'm glad it was less serious than with my first system. The fan broke on it then, and it would overheat and shut off after 20 minutes.

Guest bigm350
I got mine for Christmas 2001 and it's still chugging along. All I have to do is occasionally clean the lens.

I don't think they even make the bigger systems anymore, so all you can probably get are the new thin ones.

About cleaning the lens; do you have to open up the PS2? Or will a can of compressed air on the tray, fan in the back and vents do the trick?

Yep, you have to open it up. Just search for "PS2 DRE Fix" and you'll find out how. All you need is a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to clean it. Compressed air (or a vaccum with a hose attachment, like I used) is also a good idea to clear out the dust in everything, though.

I use one of those CDs with brushes attached to it to clean my lens.

I don't think a can of compressed air is really necessary. If you have one anyway, sure, go ahead. However, I wouldn't buy one just for the PS2. When I opened up my PS2 to install my flip top, I blew out the dust (not a heck of a lot) and there wasn't even all that much there. I'd say it was probably more effective.

Those CDs might scratch the lens, so I don't bother with them. If you haven't cleaned it in a while (like I have), it builds up. Mostly in the fan though, so it's a good idea to clean it so it works more effectively.

At Best Buy it is part of my job to sell Two Year Replacement Plans on PS2's for 19.99. Needless to say, I sell a LOT of them, mostly to people buying their second or third PS2.

I got mine for Christmas in 2002 and even though it was scared me a few times (freezing, door jamming) I haven't had problems with it.

Most of my friends who have had launch day PS2s haven't had problems. I bought my PS2 July 2004, and so far, no problems. Though, now that I remember, my friend did lend me MGS3, and during the Codec sequences, the game LOVES to skip like crazy. Not sure why. The game itself doesn't even have scratches on it.

I got mine for Christmas 2001 and it's still chugging along.  All I have to do is occasionally clean the lens.

About cleaning the lens; do you have to open up the PS2? Or will a can of compressed air on the tray, fan in the back and vents do the trick?

Yes. It isn't too hard. Just remember to have the system off when you are doing it. Common sense, but some people seem to lack it these days. The original PS2s had defective lasers which decrease in intensity over time and can no longer see through dust and dirt. Eventually they will go kaput even with cleaning, but you can probably survive long enough until the PS3 comes out and you won't need it any more anyways. Normally you shouldn't have to this, but it could extend the system life by a couple of years or even more, if you have the original model. The less you use it, the less often you need to clean it, likewise if you keep in a clean environment. Just search on Google and you will find instructions.

I got mine in december 02 its a spch 3001 model anyone have problems with that one cuz i havent. however i never cleaned it i was thinking about buying this dvd lens cleaner (from maxell) but wasnt sure. does sony sell one of these speicifically for ps2?

I havent had many problems aside from game glitches causing freeze up. however certain games make more noise than others (especially sports games with commentary on or the wwe games) and lately my dvds made more noise while loading (doesnt seem to be the lens though maybe the spinning fast just makes noise i dont know) up at the beginn.