TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Rob Van Dam DVD

my target didnt have it, I went to suncoast yesterday and they had it for 24.95 (5 bucks cheaper than usual) so I got it just cuz I didnt feel like going to all the stores and looking for it. and besides thats about the same price that my best buy has been charging lately for 2 disc sets (including ecw) they had the andre one too but I skipped it, figuring walmart will eventually have it in the discount bin probably

Only watched the pat rose match so far and the before they were superstars thing too (heck most of those extras aired on confidential already)

oh and the eggs can be found in the extras section i think it was. I found them by randomly going thru all the choices and hitting right and left a couple of times.

that heatwave promo was 98 btw its funny wonder why they didnt show that match on the dvd iteself (rvd/sabu vs hayabusa shinzeki(hakushi)

And to get the Living Dangerously one, put in the first disc and go to chapters and page 2 and then highlight "back". The click on the left arrow twice.

Anyone who says RVD can't do promos needs to watch those two and they'll feel like a jackass afterwards.

I have likely seen both of those. The LD one I certainly remember, where RVD was like "Jerry, these people know you didn't beat me, you know you didn't beat me..." Funny as shit. I always loved the stuff where he'd torment Sabu in promos, poking fun at his various injuries (the broken jaw, etc), saying the Shiek liked him better, etc. The amazing thing is that when Sabu FINALLY turned on him Sabu was the heel in the feud, haha! I mean RVD verbally trashed the guy for years and Sabu finally had enough and turned, yet Sabu was the guy in the wrong. That's wrestling for ya.

I have likely seen both of those.  The LD one I certainly remember, where RVD was like "Jerry, these people know you didn't beat me, you know you didn't beat me..."  Funny as shit.

"Now Jerry Lynn is a great competitor. And tonight, Jerry, you were at your finest. Allow me to be humble enough to say Jerry Lynn, you were one of the two greatest athletes in the ring, now obviously (holds the belt up to the camera) not the greatest athlete....."

:lol:

Yes, but according to Triple H, Rob Van Dam isn't a main-event player because he is missing that piece of the puzzle that allows wrestling fans to connect with him.

edit: If anyone has a link to the entire interview from late last month, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by RobotJerk

Vince and WWE management need to watch this dvd so they could realize that they are wasting a potential main eventer on Rob.

what do you mean "that they ARE WASTING"? they've done wasted him away...dude will never sniff the main event scene again...

Yes, but according to Triple H, Rob Van Dam isn't a main-event player because he is missing that piece of the puzzle that allows wrestling fans to connect with him.

edit: If anyone has a link to the entire interview from late last month, I'd appreciate it.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=66389

Yeah, that was pretty funny. Of all the things you could say about RVD, you say that?

AG: On the subject of stars, why do you think a couple of guys by the names of “RVD” and Booker T haven’t made it to that top level?

HHH: You would have to have Booker T and Rob Van Dam answer that.

AG: You don’t have a point of view on the situation then?

HHH: Here’s the thing, nobody is this business, Vince McMahon included, makes stars in this business, except the stars themselves. Booker T is not a top guy or Rob Van Dam is not a top guy is because they’re missing the piece of the puzzle that allows fans and I’m talking the massive fans, to connect with them. “Stone Cold” was hugely popular before the office ever got behind him. “Rock” made himself what he is and then the office pushed him. It’s the same thing with me and the same thing with a lot of guys. That’s the way it works and anybody that says this guy holds me down or the office doesn’t push me or anything, need to look into the mirror and say that’s is all on me.

Fucking prick.

Any man who can get an arena of 16,000 people to point to their shoulders with their thumbs in perfect unison deserves at least one world title run, says I.

Here's some quotes from the RVD/Sabu match commentary for the people that didn't get the DVD.

Paul: Now when the ring broke and you guys took it outside of the ring, this can't be part of the match that you even had in mind. and it's obvious that you guys were thinking on your feet and you're saying "ok, what do i do, what weapons can i find, what positions i can dive off next"

RVD: Anything goes in ecw, that was the beauty of it. We were not held back by anything. It was like, we were actually artists out there able to express ourselves. And to be able to do that on the spot, to be able to feed off the crowd, at the moment you're able to change with the emotion of the crowd, that takes a lot of freedom and it was a beautiful thing.

----

RVD: You know the way I looked at it back then, and I still do but from a different perspective, that time in the ring underneath the spotlight, that is the time for us to showcase and to display our abilities. Someone like RVD you can't really display your abilities in a total of 5 minutes. I can't show what I got. Back here, it was no holding back and we still come back the next time and out-do ourselves.

----

Paul: Again to me, it was all about the work ethic. Everybody thought ECW was about tables, and chairs, and ladders, and barbed wire, and fire, but to us.... I think a lot of people to this day misunderstand that to us hardcore and extreme was all about the work ethic, the willingness to do this at 1:00 in the morning in a broken ring and then to improvise and take your battle plan into a totally different perspective and environment because it was all about giving the people their money's worth. It was all about more bang for the buck.

RVD: Absolutely. And from the competitiors' perspective, the extreme part came to me as that extra bit we were able to go. Being extreme meant you could go out all out for the fans. And that was the way to best showcase us, that's where we belong, in a hardcore environment. When I came into WWE, I had the hardcore title, that was the most ECW-esque that I could be within the new parameters, and that was my favorite time too. As far as being out there and being creative and entertaining the fans.

---

Paul: "This is just now two guys beating the crap out of each other. And to me, if you guys had ended this match as soon as that DDT through the table took place, I think the audience would have been most forgiving. I think the audience would've been appreciative, they would have given you both a standing ovation, chanted both your names. Again, here... (2 count)

RVD: We weren't done.

Paul: But that's the point, is that you weren't done. The work ethic was all about giving more, more, more to the audience. I mean, now you've been in the ring for several minutes, you're probably 15-20 minutes into the match. It's 1:10, 1:15 in the morning, and yet you guys are just hammering each other, and you keep going and going and going in front of an audience that would have accepted the match to be over with by now. and they're getting off on the fact that it's more, more, more.

RVD: Yep, that's what extreme means to me. These are two tough guys here. You know neither one of these guys are going to get beat in a few minutes with a roll up.

I thought it was interesting to hear about how sabu started off as a good techincal wrestler, but RVD taught him the high risk stuff, while sabu showed him ring psychology and how to be a man. then again he probably is just exxagerating

anyway, I watched the Scotty flamingo match,RVD/Axl match, but the best was RVD/Sabu from Hostlie City showdown 96. what a match, sure it was pretty much a spotfest, but it was a good spotfest, that actually featured some sort of psych. like RVDs broken wrist making it harder for him to lift sabu. of course it was topped off by Rob no selling sabus handshake and walking away, marking the start of his heel run, as a disrespectful, arrogant jerk.

Ill let you know my full thoughts whenever I finish watching the discs (anyone else annoyed how the pat rose match and the first sabu match as well as the rvd/balls match are on the 2nd disc? you have to switch back and forth between the two if you want to stay in chronological order while watching

Quick question: How do you get the alternate commentary on the RVD/Balls Mahony match? I didn't realize there was alternate commentary until the end when RVD and Paul Heyman came on and I looked on the cover. There's no alternate commentary option, so how do you turn it on?

I want to hear Paulie and Rob's thoughts?

EDIT - Anyone find any easter eggs?

The really idiotic thing about that HHH comment is that Rob Van Dam connects with fans INFINITELY more than he does! I mean hell, HHH fucked around getting jack shit in terms of heat or crowd response for a good 4 years in the WWF. RVD shows up and gets over in about a week. HHH has to beat the entire Raw roster and get 20 mins of rambling interview time a week to stay over with the crowd...Van Dam is jobbed out and I dare say is STILL the most popular guy on SMDN if you wanna look at it close. I mean, in a match with RVD and Eddie, who is the crowd gonna go for? I'd say RVD (though Eddie would probabaly morph naturally back into a heel in that one). Or RVD and Cena in a match? The crowd would go for RVD. Hell bear in mind that the crowds rooted for Van Dam against the ROCK in 2001, so to say he can't connect with a crowd is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Hunter outta eat everyone on this board's cock for that remark.

Or RVD and Cena in a match? The crowd would go for RVD.

Ah, let's not get too outta control here. Cena would have the crowd response, honestly. He's the most over face by a long shot right now. Rob wouldn't get booed, but Cena would get the majority of the cheers.

That being said, RVD, with a midcard push, KILLS nearly every main event and midcard face. It's a stupid statement to say. Honestly, RVD can be critisized about a ton of things, but being able the connect with the crowd isn't even close. Hell, I'd say he's one of the best in the company at connecting with the crowd alongside Jericho, Cena and others.

Guest Rrrsh
Vince and WWE management need to watch this dvd so they could  realize that they are wasting a potential main eventer on Rob.

Rob will never draw.

If he ever had to wrestle a match that is over 8 minutes, the fans would sit on their hands. All he can do is gimmick matches, and every ECW match is a gimmick match.

He very much like Christian in that way. And thats also why Christian would never draw.

Vince and WWE management need to watch this dvd so they could  realize that they are wasting a potential main eventer on Rob.

Rob will never draw.

If he ever had to wrestle the match that is over than 8 minutes, the fans wit sit in on their hands. All he can do is gimmick matches, and every ECW match is a gimmick match.

He very much like Christian in that way. And thats also why Christian would never draw.

If Rob wrestling a match over 8 minutes would cause him to not be able to draw, then they shouldn't have him wrestle a match over 8 minutes.

Yeah, he had to have wrestle longer matches, so my point is half joking, but the premise remains the same for RVD, or anyone else. If having a wrestler do something would reduce his ability to draw, why do it at all ? For all the the positives and negatives you can say about JBL's title reign, if they were making him wrestle in 20 minute+ matches and only wanted him to wrestle, things would be a whole lot worse.

Rob will never draw.

If he ever had to wrestle a match that is over 8 minutes, the fans would sit on their hands. All he can do is gimmick matches, and every ECW match is a gimmick match.

What are you basing this magical "8 Minute Rule" off of?

Guest Rrrsh

Thats a fair comment HTQ, but he isn't the future or anything, so I am not too sure if its worth it. RVD is best at what he does now. He goes out, gets his spots in, plays to the fans with his charisma and gets out.

Should he have more meaningful storylines? Sure. But he won't draw because Vince would never make those types of changes for Rob to be sucsessful.

Guest Rrrsh

Rob will never draw.

What are you basing this magical "8 Minute Rule" off of?

Its was just a Minute I grabbed and ran with it too keep consistant.

The point is that a Mian Event lenth of a match far surpasses what Robs boundries are as a sucsessful performer.

Thats a fair comment HTQ, but he isn't the future or anything, so I am not too sure if its worth it. RVD is best at what he does now. He goes out, gets his spots in, plays to the fans with his charisma and gets out.

Should he have more meaningful storylines? Sure. But he won't draw because Vince would never make those types of changes for Rob to be sucsessful.

If a guy who has had virtually no serious push in over three years, and has been buried for most of that time period to boot, still gets great pops from the crowd, he has to be worth giving a shot to. I mean, he gets this kind of reaction with no push, so imagine would he could get with a push.

Guest Rrrsh

I got no problem him getting an oppertunity if it happens. God knows he has waited long enough. But I just don;t think he has a chnace of drawing, no matter how much of a midcrad pop he gets

Now Jericho, he is in the smae "boat" as RVD and he could, on his own, make the WWE interesting agian. And, be the most over Champ since 2001.