TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Mandingo Warrior

Should the Ultimate Warrior..

What do y'all think? With 80's midcarders getting in, should a late 80's/early 90's main eventer make it? Even though his career was short, he had a few famous matches (wrestlemanias 6 and 7 most notably). He also drew (for a time) on a level that was on par with Hogan (which had never really happened before, with the possible exception of Savage). I know Jim Helwig is looked upon as an asshole, but should his character be penalized for it?? Was his career too short to warrant his entry in the HOF even though it could be argued that he had an impact on the business?

Discuss!

Guest LooneyTune

Ultimate Warrior couldn't hold Sgt. Slaughters chin-strap.

The Warrior was a shit wrestle, couldn't draw dick, was hated by everyone else in wrestling just about, and was an active wrestle for about 6 years combined. (1986-1992, and very few stints over the last 9 years (1996-2004).

Flair said that Warrior was the least talented wrestler he's ever been in the ring with, and that is saying something for a man who has wrestled El Gigante,Vince Russo, Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff

Guest LooneyTune
Flair said that Warrior was the least talented wrestler he's ever been in the ring with, and that is saying something for a man who has wrestled El Gigante,Vince Russo, Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff

Damn... damn... worse than El Gigante? ... damn. Ric Flair must've wrestled thousands of people in his career, and Warrior is the worst. I don't find it hard to believe at all.

Jesus, Looney, you haven't even been here a year and you have way more posts than I do... :D

Anyway...I'm on the fence on this one...regardless of whether he was a draw or not, dude was a big part of WWE Storylines for at least 5 years straight...the only thing I recall about Bob Orton is that he used a cast on people...

Guest LooneyTune

Warrior's title reign in 1990 was a financial flop. I don't think he's much of a draw. Maybe as an under-card semi-attraction, but when he was handed the torch, he tripped, fell down a mountain, and extinguished the flame.

It didn't help that he had NOTHING in the way of big programs. He was popular, but they never put anything together to capitalize on that. He had the feud with Rick Rude, who he'd already soundly defeated in an IC Title feud, and that was it. They really should have done Warrior-Savage earlier than they did if they wanted Warrior to be a success as champ, like in place of the cage match at SummerSlam. They started the Savage feud once they decided to put the belt on Sgt. Slaughter, but they never ran it as a proper world title program. Maybe they just had trouble booking top feuds for him, I don't know, but you would think they'd at least go through the motions with Hennig and Dibiase, the top heels at the time. They didn't really even bother creating any monster opponents for him, like they did with Hogan-Earthquake on the undercard that same year. Shit, polka dot Dusty Rhodes had better programs that year!

But no, I don't think he's a hall of famer, and you know there's no chance in hell of Vince honoring that guy.

Even if Vince wanted him in the HOF I think it would be another Bruno scenario. Warrior has said many times that he basically hates Vince, thinks he is a liar and wants nothing to do with him again.

I know Jakks came out with some action figures of him for the WWE classic line in the last year, but I think that was more of a case of Warrior working out a deal with Jakks than working out a deal with WWE.

Even though he had a classic "retirement" match with Randy Savage, I would have to say no, he should'nt. His run as champion was a flop, as where is subsequent "returns" and WCW run

Agreed that his championship run was a flop. His career was on the rise all the way up to wrestlemania 6 and then it dropped off from there (other than the savage feud). I agree though, that it had more to do with the booking of opponents than anything else. I mean, during his IC reigns, he feuded with Andre the Giant, Rick Rude, Honkey (whom fans loved to see get killed), and Hulk Hogan. Once he won the title, he didn't do anything, other than a silly feud with Rick Rude (again...).

Like Warrior himself said, everybody says he sucks, and maybe he does, but he still made a ton of money in a short period of time. Which was his goal, and he didn't have to be a good wrestler to do it. Can't fault him for that.

The answer is yes, because he's iconic but it probably wouldn't happen.

If he makes their Legends action figure line twice, he deserves a spot in the HOF. Hogan, Savage and Warrior should all make the HOF if only because of their infamous reputations.

True, his action figure is cool. It sits on my dresser beside Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolf Man! (from the Legacy Collection of Monster DVD's).

I think UW deserves a spot, but like some have said, it will never happen.

I'd like to see him get in just for the acceptance speech.

Ok, you almost changed my mind there.

I'm a lazy SOB, so someone else care to do a transcript of what the Warrior's acceptance speech would be like?

Well, in my opinion, he had the best uptempo theme song ever.

(Best song overall Mr. Perfect, FYI)

I don't think you can base a Hall of Fame career on what I think were 3 matches.

WM VI

WMVII

And I really enjoyed Summerslam 92. :ph34r:

Besides if he showed up at the Hall of Fame ceremony, HHH would show up and do something to him....

Guest Trivia247

its hard to set personal bias or dislikes aside to call this.

To be fair, Maybe Ultimate Warrior probably is elligable to be a Hall of famer nominee.

I'd much rather give his spot to Curt hennig in honor to him.

And I really enjoyed Summerslam 92.

I did too, but if he wasn't working with Hogan or Savage his matches were crap. The two Savage matches are the only ones I really care for anymore.

Guest LooneyTune

Short and Sweet... every good Warrior match was a complete carry job by the other person.

Well, it all depends on what your criteria for acceptance into the HOF are. For drawing a lot of money? No. For being a really great guy? Apparently not. For superior wrestling skills? Fuck no. For contributing to the sport in any meaningful way? No. The only argument is what IDRM said about him being a recognizable icon.

EDIT: when you've only had competent matches with four people in your entire career (Hogan, Savage, Rude, Dibiase) you're a pretty fucking terrible worker.

the only thing I recall about Bob Orton is that he used a cast on people...

Orton was a good wrestler (better than his son) who was involved in main-event feuds against everyone from Hogan and Backlund on down throughout the early and mid 80's.

I was never a particular fan of Ultimate Warrior simply because I wasn't a fan at the time. Not sure if I would be a fan even if I was...however, I do know that a lot of my mark friends who were indeed fans at the time were huge fans of the Ultimate Warrior and many preferred him to Hogan. Granted my friends are few when compared to the general scope of things, but I believe they're not the only ones who felt that way. So I think that's one reason for him being there because he was adored by the fans and in some cases held in a higher light than Hogan. I also think he should be there since he was a big part of the WWF back in those days, even if it was for a short period of time.

the only thing I recall about Bob Orton is that he used a cast on people...

Orton was a good wrestler (better than his son) who was involved in main-event feuds against everyone from Hogan and Backlund on down throughout the early and mid 80's.

other than being a good wrestler, what did he accomplish that Warrior didn't? I haven't seen him do anything that sticks out in my mind more than Warrior's initial 5 year WWE run...

Guest Loss

The WWE HOF is NOT a serious HOF. People don't get in because of merit, they get in if they're still on good terms with Vince. In that case, Warrior won't go in unless they both think they can make money off of it.

Guest LooneyTune

Vince has asked Bruno to be part of it (and in a nutshell, they aren't on great terms), so it's not really who's on good terms, it's who is willing to participate.