TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
strummer

Teddy Bruschi Suffers Possible Stroke

ESPN.com news services

BOSTON -- New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi was admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston on Wednesday after complaining of headaches.

WBZ-TV in Boston reported Wednesday that Bruschi had stroke-like symptoms, partial paralysis and blurred vision.

Bruschi was to spend the night at the hospital and more tests were scheduled for Thursday morning, team spokesman Stacey James said.

"He is in good condition and will be held for further evaluations," the team said in a statement. "The Bruschi family appreciates everyone's concern, but requests that you respect their privacy at this time."

A spokeswoman for Massachusetts General Hospital would neither confirm nor deny Bruschi had been admitted and referred all questions to the Patriots.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who was attending the men's college basketball game between Boston College and Rutgers on Wednesday night, declined comment.

Bruschi, a 6-foot-1, 247-pound nine-year NFL veteran, is a key member of New England's defense that has helped the team win three of the past four Super Bowls, including a 24-21 win over the Philadelphia Eagles on Feb. 6.

Bruschi, selected in the third round of the 1996 draft out of Arizona, was second on the team in tackles during the regular season with 122, behind only safety Rodney Harrison with 138. He also had 3½ sacks and three interceptions during the regular season.

He had two fumble recoveries in the team's 20-3 divisional playoff win over the Indianapolis Colts, and an interception in the Super Bowl.

He has 753 tackles, 25 sacks and 11 interceptions in his career.

He also played in last weekend's Pro Bowl in Hawaii for the first time.

I had the same thing happen to me and they ruled it as a panic attack.

Least they kept him in the hospital for safety, my ass got sent home the same night.

Glad Tedy is in a state with doctors who aren't complete morons. If he was here, they would have told him to suck it up, be a man, and would have sent him home with a nice oversized bill.

Guest MikeSC
Sounds like a brain aneurysm. Hope they can fix whatever it is.

If it was an aneuryism, he'd likely be dead by now. Those tend to be unbelievably fatal and if he suffered one, they are virtually impossible to fix.

I hope it's not a stroke --- but the symptoms aren't promising.

-=Mike

Guest Failed Mascot

At this point I'm not worried about whether or not he can play again. I just hope that regardless of what happens he keeps healthy enough to raise his two kids.

Sounds like a brain aneurysm.  Hope they can fix whatever it is.

If it was an aneuryism, he'd likely be dead by now. Those tend to be unbelievably fatal and if he suffered one, they are virtually impossible to fix.

You're thinking of a ruptured aneurysm. Aneurysms don't just spontaneously show up; they're usually around for months, if not years. They're not fatal until they burst, but you never know when they will burst. It's like walking around with a time bomb in your head. My mother-in-law has one that was just recently discovered after she hit her head after a fall while curling, although the doctors say it's probably been there for years, if not decades.

If they're large enough, though, they cause the symptoms described in the article. John Olerud suffered through similar symptoms until doctors discovered he had an aneurysm and removed it.

Guest Vitamin X
Glad Tedy is in a state with doctors who aren't complete morons. If he was here, they would have told him to suck it up, be a man, and would have sent him home with a nice oversized bill.

You're from Texas, aren't you?

You're from Texas, aren't you?

Worse, Delaware.

The only state were doctors have to look inside of a book for sympthons of the freakin Flu.

I've had a headache non-stop since June 2003, have lost most strength in my left arm after my "panic attack" (which happened exactly like Tedy here) and they are suing me for not paying a bill that they agreed to let me make payments on.

Trust me, if you get in a car accident driving through Delaware and you are conscious...order them to take you to Maryland. Get OUT of this state as fast as you can. Better to risk death than to accept it by trusting our doctors.

Guest Failed Mascot

Ron Borges of the Boston Globe is stating that Tedy Bruschi officially suffered from a broken blood vessel in the head.

Ron Borges of the Boston Globe is stating that Tedy Bruschi officially suffered from a broken blood vessel in the head.

Christ, that's not good news at ALL.

I guess it shows how well liked he is on the board by the fact that there haven't been any tasteless jokes posted yet.

I liked him as well, he's a hard nosed football player whose a throwback to the hard nosed linebackers of old.

I don't know how serious a broken blood vessel in the head is however.

Sounds like a brain aneurysm.  Hope they can fix whatever it is.

You're thinking of a ruptured aneurysm. Aneurysms don't just spontaneously show up; they're usually around for months, if not years. They're not fatal until they burst, but you never know when they will burst. It's like walking around with a time bomb in your head. My mother-in-law has one that was just recently discovered after she hit her head after a fall while curling, although the doctors say it's probably been there for years, if not decades.

If they're large enough, though, they cause the symptoms described in the article. John Olerud suffered through similar symptoms until doctors discovered he had an aneurysm and removed it.

Exactly. My grandpa had one in his leg that was on the main artery and they successfully removed it with surgery.

I guess it shows how well liked he is on the board by the fact that there haven't been any tasteless jokes posted yet.

I liked him as well, he's a hard nosed football player whose a throwback to the hard nosed linebackers of old.

I don't know how serious a broken blood vessel in the head is however.

Meh, it's not beneath me to make tasteless jokes about this, I'd do it, but eh, what is there to joke about?

Guest Failed Mascot
Tedy Bruschi will remain in Massachusetts General Hospital while he undergoes more tests after suffering a broken blood vessel in his head, a Patriots team source told the Globe.

Bruschi is "sitting up in bed'' and talking, the source said.

The Patriots' Pro Bowl linebacker was admitted to the hospital Wednesday after suffering from persistent headaches and partial paralysis. The paralysis is now gone.

A Patriots spokesman said Wednesday night that Bruschi was in "good condition.''

Link

Broken blood vessel is serious shit that could have gotten deadly if it wasn't for him getting into the hospital quick. More than likely from stress/pressure from athletic competition (such as lifting weights)/direct pressure from a contact sport.

The most underrated player in football pretty much needs some rest.

What's Michael Vick got to do w/ anything?

I was about to say, the same Pats fans that are mourning in the thread would probably be licking their chops if Peyton Manning was the person in question.

The whole board would join in on Michael Vick though.

I actually think that after this whole playoff run, that Bruschi is overrated. How someone can call him the most underrated player in football AFTER he got all the attention that he's gotten, I don't understand.

Guest Failed Mascot

What's Michael Vick got to do w/ anything?

He said "under rated" not "over rated".

Guest Failed Mascot
the same Pats fans that are mourning in the thread would probably be licking their chops if Peyton Manning was the person in question.

Yes, because he's been such a threat to the Patriots winning these past few years.

the same Pats fans that are mourning in the thread would probably be licking their chops if Peyton Manning was the person in question.

Yes, because he's been such a threat to the Patriots winning these past few years.

I'm still referring to tasteless jokes being made in the thread, hence why I said "in the thread".

I would say Vick was overrated if I only watched ESPN. If I only posted in this folder I'd say he's the most underrated QB in the league.

Hey, throwing a thread off-topic. Great idea!

Knock it off.

EDIT: Now the Pats have confirmed it was a mild stroke, but he's in good condition and might be released tomorrow, so that's great for him. Don't know how this will impact his career, but I guess he'll have plenty of time to evaluate that over the spring.

Nice of the local networks to tease playing his wife's 911 call on the 11 o'clock news. So much for respecting their privacy, eh?