TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

Not the right guy?

I was just thinking...John Cena showed us on Smackdown! this week that he can't work a not-dull match without a guy like Booker T or Kurt Angle leading him. But we all say Cena is the hope of Smackdown!, and maybe even the hope of the WWE. They are trying to make him the next Rock, but fact is The Rock could carry people to a good match, Cena can't. Isn't it pathetic that a guy with 6 moves and a weak finisher is the man that will take the WWE Title away from JBL. I know JBL isn't a wonder in the ring but at least JBL has experience. The WWE has been waiting for the right time to push Cena to the top and now they are finally doing it, but I still think he isn't ready to carry a brand on his shoulders. And what if the WWE is dumb and makes JBL vs. Cena a singles match and not a Hardcore match or something like that? That match would suck soooooo much, because we all know JBL is just a brawler and Cena is still pretty green. As much as I like Cena's promos, I think JBL should just retain at WrestleMania because SD! with Cena as Champ wouldn't be any better then JBL as Champ and we are already familiar with JBL as WWE Champ so just stick with JBL.

Discuss.

You mean that match with Orlando Jordan? Gee, while I was watching it I was thinking "wow, this is pretty solid, perhaps there is hope afterall." It was a good match with a good story, I thought it was at least **1/2, maybe even higher.

It was sorta watchable but hardly main event level wrestling. Incidentally what is with all this JBL support? The guy has single handedly killed whatever interest most people have in SMDN with his never ending reign....they absolutely MUST job his ass out to someone, anyone at WM. Cena is fine with me. The problem is that JBL has wrecked the heat of the whole lockerroom so that no one is really in contention.

I have a feeling Cena will have the Randy Orton effect where Cena wins the title and the WWE gets it off of him within a month or two. He's got the crowd support but thats all he's really got going for him, could he get some buyrates for PPV's, yes but the question is for how long? Plus if he wins the title who is he even going to feud with next, will it be JBL and we'll get a JBL trying to win the title back thing or will Cena get to work with someone else again?

He won't have the Randy Orton effect because Cena is already WAY more over then Orton was and probably ever will be. The problem is; Cena isn't main event material with his in-ring skills IMO and who will he face as WWE Champ?

He won't have the Randy Orton effect because Cena is already WAY more over then Orton was and probably ever will be. The problem is; Cena isn't main event material with his in-ring skills IMO and who will he face as WWE Champ?

Neither was Orton, and the only people WWE had lined up for Orton was Flair, Batista, and HHH at that time. Regardless, I give Cena a 2 to 3 month title reign.

True, I can't see Cena with the WWE Title longer then 3 - 4 months, because he will get stale. Also, I see Cena a bit as a child, I just don't really see him as a credible main eventer. I watch WWE with my dad sometimes, and my dad is still a mark but he is not impressed by Cena.

Goddamnit Brock, why did you have to leave the WWE :throwup:

could he get some buyrates for PPV's, yes but the question is for how long?

Hell, that alone makes him a better choice than JBL.

If/when he does get the belt, he's got to do more promos like the one he did last night. Minimal humor, no gay/poop jokes, heavy on the "common man" imagery and bringing the fight to his opponent.

could he get some buyrates for PPV's, yes but the question is for how long?

Hell, that alone makes him a better choice than JBL.

Almost, but the thing is JBL is a heel champion and normally fans pay to see someone challange the heel champion to see if the heel will get beat by the face. JBL didn't make people buy the ppv's, his matches and who he was facing made people who wanted to see JBl get beat sold ppvs....hopefully it wasn't just for that one match that involved JBL through. Its a bit different for a Face champion as the face champion as to has to have good enough matches to make people just want to come to the arena to see him defend the title, Cena hasn't really had any decent matches as of lates unless it was with someone that could carry him into that match.

He's the right guy, but it is the wrong time. As already mentioned, the money is in the chase and Cena hasn't had much of one. JBL is dead as a challenger as soon as Cena wins so the best thing to do is to have an inconclusive finish at Mania since it isn't the main event anyways, and then have Cena win a rematch at Judgment Day. They are in all likelihood going to run with that match at Judgment Day anyways and I would much rather have Cena chasing JBL for two months rather than JBL complaining how he got screwed.

Guest Trivia247
I have a feeling Cena will have the Randy Orton effect where Cena wins the title and the WWE gets it off of him within a month or two. He's got the crowd support but thats all he's really got going for him, could he get some buyrates for PPV's, yes but the question is for how long? Plus if he wins the title who is he even going to feud with next, will it be JBL and we'll get a JBL trying to win the title back thing or will Cena get to work with someone else again?

then the WWE thinks to itself for some odd reason.

"Bah Gawd he is the future of the company and our savior we simply must build him up again."

But who do you get to lose to Cena to make him look important which is the Orton Taker Formuli. Since, Cena Did Beat the Undertaker. I don't think there is anyone Dominating on Smackdown to be a Mountain for Cena to climb up.

Guest Brian

As for the original post, you forget that Rock was not in the business of carrying anyone when he ascended to the top.

But who do you get to lose to Cena to make him look important which is the Orton Taker Formuli. Since, Cena Did Beat the Undertaker. I don't think there is anyone Dominating on Smackdown to be a Mountain for Cena to climb up.

I could say Angle but since Cena already beat Angle at No Way Out and will most likely lose to HBK at WM, Angle is outta the picture for a bit. JBL could work in a rematch claus really soon, or maybe even Carlitto could feud with him for a couple of weeks. Other than that, Smackdown itself has no more heels that could go after Cena unless with saw a heel turn from one of the faces. Hopefully if a draft happens, Smackdown doesn't get screwed and gets a few major talents from Raw and it goes from there.

They are trying to make him the next Rock, but fact is The Rock could carry people to a good match, Cena can't.

To be fair, Rock wasn't carrying anyone until 01, maybe 00. 97-00 he really needed those good opponents to bring out the best in him, Foley, Austin, Hunter, Shamrock etc.

I don't really see this "next Rock" stuff anyway. It's like when everyone and their mother was "the next Jordan." Don't throw around arbitrary labels just for the sake of labeling, wait until someone actually fits the bill.

Chris Jericho needs to go to Smackdown! and turn Heel because bah gawd Jericho is a darn good Heel and he will carry Cena to an awesome match. Also Christian could be a good contender for the WWE Title. So there ya already have 2 guys who can carry Cena and make Cena look good with the WWE Title. Question is, what will JBL do after WrestleMania? Retire? Bring back the APA with Faarooq?

Bradshaw will still be entertaining without the championship. It was never the character or his portrayal of the character that I had a problem with. My problem was with the fact that he didn't need the championship. Had he been playing this role, without the title, leading into Wrestlemania, I would possibly even suggest that he be given the championship. It was just the fact that they used the belt to establish his character when it should have been vice versa.

My suggestion would be to bring an HBK, Jericho or Christian over to Smackdown. Any of those guys could get a good match out of Cena. Dare I say, let RVD return to WWE as a heel, with Heyman maybe as his "agent", looking to get him the WWE title, main events and movie roles. It would be hard to get people to boo RVD but it's possible against Cena.

I think it would be amazing if after Cena wins if the WWE booked Lesnar to climb out from under the ring or run through the crowd and F5 Cena/JBL . I don't know if Brock deserves it but I believe it could draw.

I wish Cena would wrestle like he did when he first showed up and wrestled Kurt Angle. Now he seems to be a slightly more generic version of Steve Austin in the ring. I don't like the F-U either...it is basically just a bodyslam out of a fireman's carry. It doesn't really look deveastating, because he doesn't follow the guy down like he used to (as in a real DVD).

The other problem I have is that his character is SO gimmicky...he has the whole chain gang thing, his chain he wears, the blurred out merchandise and the "Word Life" bands, etc. Plus, up until last night, he had the "turntable" US Title. It is kind of overbearing. It seems like it's all a big crutch for his character.

Cena is over enough to be the champ but he hasn't improve on his wrestling skills since 2002, to be the champ he has to either step it up a notch or the crowd will eventually realize how much he sucks as a wrestler and turn on him, Cena is not the hope of SD but for now he is the only thing the WWE is willing to push.

They've got to go with Eddy as his first challenger. Cena needs to have good matches to stay over. I'd also go with Jericho going to SD!, turning heel, getting the big push and winning the belt at Summerslam setting up a Cena win at WM 22, assuming he maintains his heat. But honestly he can't do worse than JBl has as champ. SD! has bottomed out, it won't go down any further in the ratings. Besides they really have no choice. They need to make stars. If they try and fail, it'll be better than not trying at all or cutting the legs of the guy once they give him the ball or make people want him to have it.

Just like Batista, he needs to work with a superior wrestler to put on a good match. Which is why Cena moving over to RAW wouldn't be a bad thing, since he would be able to face guys like HBK, HHH, Jericho, and Benoit. He's not going to carry anyone, but he knows how to sell, times his comebacks pretty well, and has a couple of signature moves that gets the crowd going. After he beats JBL, I would stick him with Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, or even Rey Mysterio. He must face established main eventers (or in Rey's case, a guy who makes his opponent look very good) to develop some skills in the ring before moving on to new competition.

This company isn't going to go anywhere with JBL as champ, so you might as well put the title on Cena at the biggest event of the year.

Guest JMA

As I said in another thread, Cena should beat JBL at WrestleMania (in a relatively easy victory) and hold the belt for about four months before dropping it to Edge (who will be traded to Smackdown after the lottery draft). Edge would then hold the belt before losing to the returning RVD.

As for JBL, he should job to all the people he's beaten after losing the title (especially Eddie). He would then shock the world by winning the United States Championship and having quite a long run with it. He might even beat Orlando for the title.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would have Booker T beat Edge for the WWE Championship and hold it for about two months (with Edge gaining it back). Booker needs a reign as WWE Champion (even a short one) before he retires.

Which is why Cena moving over to RAW wouldn't be a bad thing,

Uh, yes it will. because than Smackdown looses it's top star and Cena would be lost in the shuffle with Raw concentrating on batista right now, and with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Benoit, Jericho and Edge on the roster. there will be no room for Cena to establish himself as a top main-event.

Cena NEEDS SmackDown!, and Smackdown! NEEDS him. I don't know how anyone could consider moving him to Raw.

As I said in another thread, Cena should beat JBL at WrestleMania (in a relatively easy victory) and hold the belt for about four months before dropping it to Edge (who will be traded to Smackdown after the lottery draft). Edge would then hold the belt before losing to the returning RVD.

As for JBL, he should job to all the people he's beaten after losing the title (especially Eddie). He would then shock the world by winning the United States Championship and having quite a long run with it. He might even beat Orlando for the title.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would have Booker T beat Edge for the WWE Championship and hold it for about two months (with Edge gaining it back). Booker needs a reign as WWE Champion (even a short one) before he retires.

Edge going to Smackdown! would be a smart thing to do because this year Edge NEEDS to win a World Title or else the fans will never see him as a real top guy. Edge can "screw" John Cena and win the WWE Title, let Jericho get into the WWE Title picture too and then you can have Edge vs. Jericho vs. Cena at WrestleMania 22, with Cena winning the belt back. Does that sound like a good plan?

JBL should go for the United States Title, it fits his character. And I agree with you when you say he should job to everybody he beat in his long ass run, or else the others will look pretty damn weak when he has the US Title. I could also see JBL as a Face, because of his character. Pro-USA gimmick might work.

EDIT: They can do this on SD!; Cena beats JBL at WM. Edge screws Cena at Great American Bash to win the belt. Booker T/RVD/Jericho beats Edge for the WWE Title at Survivor Series. That man holds the title 'till WrestleMania where he drops it back to John Cena in a triple threat match or maybe a 4-way match, it would be great. When I think about this I have to say that if Jericho goes to Smackdown! and Edge too, SD! would not only be an interesting show again but there would be a lot of credible contenders for the WWE Title, thus making the WWE Title scene exciting and fresh again.

Would the WWE even let Edge jump back to Smackdown after being on Raw for less than a year? As much as Edge jumping to Smackdown sounds like a good idea, I got a feeling that only maybe 2 top names will be switching brands and the rest will be heat/velocity people and maybe 3 midcarders.

Which is why Cena moving over to RAW wouldn't be a bad thing,

Uh, yes it will. because than Smackdown looses it's top star and Cena would be lost in the shuffle with Raw concentrating on batista right now, and with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Benoit, Jericho and Edge on the roster. there will be no room for Cena to establish himself as a top main-event.

Cena NEEDS SmackDown!, and Smackdown! NEEDS him. I don't know how anyone could consider moving him to Raw.

They are obviously making RAW the A show. Why not have the company's next big star there instead of the B show? You'd obviously have to send someone over to Smackdown! to replace him, but the guy you are pushing to be at the top of company in the future should be on RAW.

They are obviously making RAW the A show. Why not have the company's next big star there instead of the B show? You'd obviously have to send someone over to Smackdown! to replace him, but the guy you are pushing to be at the top of company in the future should be on RAW.

Fact is, SmackDown! is still WWE's other brand. and if they keep moving every up and coming Superstar to Raw. whats the fucking point of the brand split? Raw already has Batista, SmackDown keeps Cena.

If Brock Lesnar could make a name for himself on the so called "B Show" than Cena can to.

They've got to go with Eddy as his first challenger. Cena needs to have good matches to stay over. I'd also go with Jericho going to SD!, turning heel, getting the big push and winning the belt at Summerslam setting up a Cena win at WM 22, assuming he maintains his heat. But honestly he can't do worse than JBl has as champ. SD! has bottomed out, it won't go down any further in the ratings. Besides they really have no choice. They need to make stars. If they try and fail, it'll be better than not trying at all or cutting the legs of the guy once they give him the ball or make people want him to have it.

I see Eddie/Cena as quite possibly the only "money match" on SmackDown right now. They shouldn't waste that on a crappy PPV like JD. Save it for SummerSlam. It could headline WM22 (Cena should be the heel).

Jericho going to SD, as a heel, and winning the belt works. Have him win it IMMEDIATLEY, like at JD, then have Cena chasing to win it back. Have Jericho drop to Book or someone at around NM. THEN have Cena win it back at SurvivorSeries, turn heel and go to Mania, where he'd drop it to Eddie. Good times.

Well, if Cena went to Raw, one or two of those guys would be going in the opposite direction. I wouldn't switch Cena until next yeat, maybe, as they've got life left in him on SD, if they make a few other switches. And besides, do you really think Benoit, Jericho and Edge pose any threat to Cena? Get real. Those guys are seen as second tier. Cena on Raw would run in to the same problems as everyone else - not getting a chance to get past Shawn and Trips. However, he would be viewed as, probably, the number three guy, maybe four, with Batista.

SmackDown doesn't need Cena. They have Eddie Guerrero. Eddie SHOULD be the star of the company right now and for the next few years. They screwed it up.

Well, if Cena went to Raw, one or two of those guys would be going in the opposite direction. I wouldn't switch Cena until next yeat, maybe, as they've got life left in him on SD, if they make a few other switches. And besides, do you really think Benoit, Jericho and Edge pose any threat to Cena? Get real. Those guys are seen as second tier. Cena on Raw would run in to the same problems as everyone else - not getting a chance to get past Shawn and Trips. However, he would be viewed as, probably, the number three guy, maybe four, with Batista.

SmackDown doesn't need Cena. They have Eddie Guerrero. Eddie SHOULD be the star of the company right now and for the next few years. They screwed it up.

Cena would be viewed as the #3 or 4 guy on Raw. yeah, which is why he should stay on SmackDown. Raw is already trying to make Batista their top star and with Triple H and Shawn Michaels on the brand, there will be no room for Cena to be the next big star and would be viewed as only an upper-midcarded. plus with Randy Orton on the same show, who knows how stupid they would be to push Orton over Cena if they were on the same brand.

and yes SD! does need Cena. yeah theres Eddie Guerrero, but hes not in the main-event scene at the moment. right now Cena is becoming the new fan favorite on the show and if he stays on SD!, the WWE is gurenteed a new Main-Eventer. if he goes to Raw, it would be hard to push him as the next main-eventer with Batista,Orton,HBK, and Triple H on the show. Smackdown is where Cena belongs.