TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Murmuring Beast

Albums You Own But Don't Listen To

There are certain albums which I have that I just don't ever listen to and I know quite a few people in the same situation.

Travis: Good Feeling - I've listened to this once and it's really not very good. Now don't get me wrong, I like Travis but this is their worst album by far. Their latest compilation has the best songs from this album on it, so I doubt I'll ever listen to this again. Same goes for The Man Who: grossly over-rated when it came out - who listens to this now??

The Clash: London Calling - It's terrible but I've only put this one on once and I didn't even get through it all. I know it's great and all, but I can't be bothered listening to it.

Radiohead: The Bends - Some great songs, but I just can't get through it at all. Their sound is ... an acquired taste I can't be bothered acquiring.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - I've never really got the Stones ( I blame the bands who have ripped them off so much since ) and this album I've only ever heard once. But I am currently listening to it now and 'Brown Sugar' is something I should be playing repeatedly.

REM - Around The Sun - I got this album the day it came out and knew what to expect. I've heard it twice and it's not good at all. Background music that is difficult to put up with.

Out of 676 albums (thank you Audio Librarian :D ) there' A LOT I've listened to once and thought 'that's crap' and ones that are OK but I just never got round to listening to again.

That's why I have my downstairs collection of the 300 I'm most likely to listen to and an upstairs collection of the rest.

Scanning through AL there's stuff like Liebling by Andreas Johnson, the three albums by Bis, Let's Do It For Johnny by Bowling For Soup, The Coral's first album, The Return of the Durutti Column, all of Green Day's albums, Led Zep 1 to 4, a lot of NOFX...

I do like all the above to some extent, but I just never seem to listen to them.

Thats why I have an ipod :)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've got a more recent Napalm Death cd someplace that I listened to 2 songs of.

I've had the Death Cab For Cutie discography downloaded on my computer forever. I've tried listening to it, but it's difficult.

I've also never really listened to Avenged Sevenfold and Damageplan despite their CDs being on my computer since the day they came out.

While at uni, I bought loads of CD's from second-hand stores in a case of false economy, many of which I haven't listened to in years. These include, off the top of my head, "A Northern Soul" by the Verve, "Leisure Noise" by Gay Dad, "To The Faithful Departed" by the Cranberries and "Ray Of Light" by Madonna, as well as the Clawfinger album that featured "The Truth", which I think I listened to once. And, just like MIG, I too own "Leibling" by Andreas Johnson, but that only cost me £1

Kittie - Spit

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish & The Hotdog Flavored Water

Kid Rock - The History Of Rock

Coal Chamber - Chamber Music

Lifer - Lifer

Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning

I think that's it...

And, just like MIG, I too own "Leibling" by Andreas Johnson, but that only cost me £1

I think it cost me slightly more than that... My old local record shop had a £1.50 section which I'm pretty sure I got it from. I doubt even in my most affluent I would've spent anymore on it.

Just noticed I seem to own the entire Voodoo Glow Skulls back catalogue... :huh:

I never really listen to any Beatles albums except Abbey Road and The White Album, but I have them all.

Me too, except I ended up trading in the ones I didn't listen to. I also listen to those two, as well as Revolver and for some reason Magical Mystery Tour.

Guest Phenom
I never really listen to any Beatles albums except Abbey Road and The White Album, but I have them all.

Same here.

beatles albums have become these weird sacred cult objects to me. the circumstances have to be EXACTLY right for me to put on a beatles album (i must have enough time to listen to the whole album, i must be by myself in a place where i can sing along, etc). i don't think i've listened to 'revolver' or 'sgt pepper' in over a year.

stone temple pilots - 'purple'. just no real interest in listening to it again, even though i bothered to put it on my ipod a month ago.

john coltrane - 'my favorite things'. was really excited to get it, listened to it once & didn't like it too much, haven't listened to it since. i should give it another chance. coltrane in general doesn't get much play. circumstances have to be right (not in a "sacred object" kind of way, but for mood--you can't just casually listen to 'ascension' while you're walking around town running errands).

most of my pearl jam albums. my opinion of them hasn't lowered, but just haven't been in the mood to hear them.

modest mouse - 'the moon & antarctica'. seems like one of those albums you need to listen to all the way through to get the full feel of it, and i've only had the patience to do that once or twice.

Guest Brian

Revolver is their best album.

As for Pet Sounds Incadenza, why not?

I have not touched any of my Moody Blues in such a long time. Aside from Answer and Days of Future Passed, none of it seems that appealing. I refuse to listen to Green Day. I just got tired of it really quickly.

Me too, except I ended up trading in the ones I didn't listen to. I also listen to those two, as well as Revolver and for some reason Magical Mystery Tour.

I have owned MMT for a year and a half and up until a month and a half ago I had listened to it twice. Since then I've listened to it seriously twelve times. The production on the album could be the best production on any Beatles album. It's a bold statement, but the drum and vocal sound is just perfectly scrumptious. Plus -- how good is the title-track as an opener?

Husker Du - Warehouse Songs And Stories

As underwhelming as I found Talking Heads. Damn those rock critics.

Royksopp - Melody AM.

Heard it compared to Air's Moon Safari. Somebody was talking rubbish.

Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard The End

As dreary as Alt Country gets.

At The Drive In - Relationship Of Command

Fooled by the hype.

Aerosmith - Draw The Line

Toys In The Attic and Rocks are the only albums anybody really needs. Nobody needs this mess of a record.

Bad Religion - The Gray Race

They made a couple of stinkers in the mid 90's. Good band, pretty bad album.

Screeching Weasel - Television City Dream

They were responsible for a couple of the best punk-pop albums since the Ramones heyday but they clearly phoned this one in.

AC/DC's Back In Black, Biohazard's s/t, Fugazi's End Hits, God Lives Underwater's Life in the So-Called Space Age, Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill, Six Feet Under's Maximum Violence, and Zombie Apocalypse's This is a Spark of Life (which is odd, because I listen to the two longest songs on the album all the time).

How familiar were you with HD prior to hearing this. Warehouse was the last Hüsker Dü album I bought; it took awhile to sink in, but it's since become my favorite.

Also, Willard Grant Conspiracy is bad. And Talking Heads is awesome, jeez.

How familiar were you with HD prior to hearing this. Warehouse was the last Hüsker Dü album I bought; it took awhile to sink in, but it's since become my favorite.

Also, Willard Grant Conspiracy is bad. And Talking Heads is awesome, jeez.

I've finished with Husker Du. Nothing sank in for me.

I know Willard Grant Conspiracy is bad. Why do you think they made the list?

Talking Heads just doesn't do anything for me but i'm glad you enjoy them.

The rock critics comment was meant in jest. I'll put an exclamation mark in next time just to make it blindingly obvious for you.

I've only listened to Missy Elliot's This Is Not A Test only twice, and there was a year and a half span between the first listen and the second listen. Although, now that I think about it, what the hell was I thinking getting that CD? I'm not even a big Missy Elliot fan, so what exactly went through my head when I got This Is Not A Test, I do not know.

I feel kinda guilty about this one, but I've listened to Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below a grand total of 4 times since I brought the disc back in January 2004. And there was a good amount of time in between listening to that disc as well.

I have a good amount of CDs that I don't listen to unless I'm going on a trip or am really, really bored. Those include Jay-Z's The Blueprint, The Blueprint 2: The Gift And The Curse, The Black Album, Gorillaz's self-titled album, some albums I got when I was younger and just starting to develop my musical tastes, a couple of WWF/E released CDs, (Anthology, Aggresion, and The Music Volume 5 to be exact), Triumph The Insult Comic Dog's Come Poop With Me, and my mixed CDs.

I also have Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish And The Hotdog Flavor Water, and New Old Songs, and Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory that I used to play like crazy during my " sucicidal teen angst" days, and P. Diddy's P. Diddy And The Bad Boy Family: The Saga Continues... which I got in the midst of my "wannabe thug, desperately trying to fit in with the popular kids" days, but they're collecting dust now.

Actually, on any given day, the CDs I'm most likely to pop in are the CDs made by The Beastie Boys, Quarashi, Public Enemy, and Skye Sweetnam. Everything else in my collection I rarely listen to.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I remembered this in the other thread. Pantera from Cowboys to Trendkill

I haven't listened to Sepultura's Roots in about three years or so. I have a UFO greatest hits disc featuring songs like "Rock Bottom", "Too Hot to Handle" and "Lights Out" that I haven't lsitened to in ages. I think it's because I've grown ou of the 0s cock-rock phase. I sould listen to my Traffic album again. "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" is too great a song not o listen to.