TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

Championship Week

But why does UNC get a #1 seed no matter what? That has never made sense to me. If they don't perform well in the ACC tourney, which they didn't, then they shouldn't get a #1 seed.

Simple as that.

They performed well in the regular season. The season is more important than the conference tourney.

No, the conference tourney does matter.

If a team wins it, they get an automatic bid. So the conference tourney means something for some teams, but not others? That doesn't make any sense.

They look at your season as a whole when considering seeding. Conference tournaments can only impact that if you get a lot of high-profile wins or one truly horrendous loss. NC State isn't near a bad enough team to impact Wake a whole lot.

Anyways The Cowboys took revenge on The Jayhawks. John Lucas missed a 3 at Kansas and Kansas misses a 3 today. Awesome game. These two teams have great games when they hook it up. Hopefully they'll meet again somehow in the NCAA tourney.

That would be a great game, but I doubt both of these teams are going to make it to the Final Four.

But why does UNC get a #1 seed no matter what? That has never made sense to me. If they don't perform well in the ACC tourney, which they didn't, then they shouldn't get a #1 seed.

Simple as that.

They performed well in the regular season. The season is more important than the conference tourney.

If a team wins it, they get an automatic bid. So the conference tourney means something for some teams, but not others? That doesn't make any sense.

They look at your season as a whole when considering seeding. Conference tournaments can only impact that if you get a lot of high-profile wins or one truly horrendous loss. NC State isn't near a bad enough team to impact Wake a whole lot.

What about those teams that did well in the season, Arizona, but weren't as good as UNC/WF. Then they do well in their conference tourney, which UNC/WF didn't. They then should get the #1 seed, not WF.

It is just the way I look at it.

Simple as that.

What about those teams that did well in the season, Arizona, but weren't as good as UNC/WF. Then they do well in their conference tourney, which UNC/WF didn't. They then should get the #1 seed, not WF.

The committee doesn't look at just one weekend. Simple as that. All winning a conference tournament does is get you a few more good wins which might elevate you past another team. But the mere fact that you won your conference tournament doesn't put you ahead of better teams.

Anyways The Cowboys took revenge on The Jayhawks. John Lucas missed a 3 at Kansas and Kansas misses a 3 today. Awesome game. These two teams have great games when they hook it up. Hopefully they'll meet again somehow in the NCAA tourney.

That would be a great game, but I doubt both of these teams are going to make it to the Final Four.

At least 1 team from the Big XII is making it to the Final Four.

At least 1 team from the Big XII is making it to the Final Four.

Probably, but they both have to make the Final Four (at least) to meet again.

Arizona's probably out as a 1 seed...Washington has just won its first ever Pac 10 championship.

Well I guess Philly will be sending 2 teams to the NCAAs this year, Villanova and Penn. A nice big "fuck you" should go out to John Chaney for his stupid "goon" shit which probably cost St. Joe's a NCAA tourney berth thanks to John Bryant's injury...

Wow, what a day of basketball...and I didn't even get to see it all. Conference USA championship, both Big 10 semifinals, both ACC semifinals, the Pac-10 championship, and now the Big East championship.

What a nail-biter day in Kentucky. First the Louisville-Memphis game comes down to missed free throws and then LSU plays the game of their lives and pushs UK to overtime. One of two things will happen in the SEC chapionship tomorrow. Either UK will blow out Florida or Florida narrowly beats UK. I just can't see Kentucky winning a close one.

Buffalo choked big time. They were up 19 in the second half. They are now a looooooooooong shot to make the Tourney. I have a hard time thinking the MAC gets two in. Too bad, it's always nice to have a home team in the Big Dance to root for.

Guest Shadow
I think George Washington takes the Atlantic 10 over St. Joes with Ohio taking the MAC.

You are so wise.

YES!! FUCK YES!! SYRACUSE WINS THE BIG EAST!!!

Oh man, what a game. I was in my seat the whole time, cheering and cursing the TV the whole game through. But I give all the credit in the world to West Virginia. They won 3 games, and took care of Business to get into the NCAA Tournament. Great week Mountaineers, you did the Big East Proud.

Unlike a certain leech. (*coughNotreDamecough*)

The Orange should move onto the 3 line for sure. If the committee is being nice, they may be the final 2 seed. But that would be stretch, and then we would Illinois Bait in Chicago.

Buffalo choked big time. They were up 19 in the second half. They are now a looooooooooong shot to make the Tourney. I have a hard time thinking the MAC gets two in. Too bad, it's always nice to have a home team in the Big Dance to root for.

We still have Niagara.

I still can't believe Carolina lost to GA Tech. If they go out anywhere before the Final Four, I don't know how I am going to respond.

The committee doesn't look at just one weekend. Simple as that. All winning a conference tournament does is get you a few more good wins which might elevate you past another team. But the mere fact that you won your conference tournament doesn't put you ahead of better teams.

But it can also get you three or four more wins in the "last 10" category that the committee likes.

That Ohio-Buffalo game was fantastic, one of the best of the day, and yes it looks doubtful Buffalo will get in now. It's funny, since the MAC has two teams (Miami-OH & Buffalo) as their second option with one not having a tremendous edge over the other, they'll probably end up with only one team.

New Mexico pulled off the upset of the day, winning the Mountain West championship with a 60-56 win over #15 Utah. There are now three projected open bids available to the bubble teams.

UTEP cinched a bid with a 91-78 win over Boise State to win the WAC championship.

Finally GW won a A10 tourney. They were the only original A10 member to not win a championship and fianlly its off our backs. That banner is going to look real nice in the Smith Center. Meanwhile, the nation will now be introduced to Pops-Mensah Bonsu. No 5/6 seed wants to play us.

Finally GW won a A10 tourney. They were the only original A10 member to not win a championship and fianlly its off our backs. That banner is going to look real nice in the Smith Center. Meanwhile, the nation will now be introduced to Pops-Mensah Bonsu. No 5/6 seed wants to play us.

Maybe, but the high energy style that GW plays with may knock them on their asses if they don't shoot well like they did against Xavier and the St. Joe's regular season game. That being said I'll be rooting hard for them as the sole A-10 rep.

What a Day!

Syracuse Wins!

Texas Tech may win the Big 12 Title!

Amazing CUSA Finish!

Amazing MAC Game!

Utah State gets Revenge and sweet Redemption for Last Year!

This has been one of the best, if not the best day of Hoops this year. I am floored to how much great action has been on the Idiot Box.

Utah State has won the Big West. And now Pacific takes away another at large bid. Here are my final 5 in who deserve it.

St. Mary's

Pacific

NC State

Iowa

UAB just over DePaul

Wow, what a day of basketball...and I didn't even get to see it all.  Conference USA championship, both Big 10 semifinals, both ACC semifinals, the Pac-10 championship, and now the Big East championship.

Oh yeah don't even mention the AWESOME day of action in the Big XII. OSU/Kansas was the shit......again!

Man I hate GT and I hate Duke. I kind of wish the arena would fall down before they can play the ACC title game. If Duke wins I can see everyone warming up the #1 seed for them.

YES!! FUCK YES!! SYRACUSE WINS THE BIG EAST!!!

Oh man, what a game. I was in my seat the whole time, cheering and cursing the TV the whole game through. But I give all the credit in the world to West Virginia. They won 3 games, and took care of Business to get into the NCAA Tournament. Great week Mountaineers, you did the Big East Proud.

Unlike a certain leech. (*coughNotreDamecough*)

The Orange should move onto the 3 line for sure. If the committee is being nice, they may be the final 2 seed. But that would be stretch, and then we would Illinois Bait in Chicago.

There is NOOO WAY Syracuse is going to get a #2 seed. If they get a #1 seed, then there is something wrong with the system.

But I see what you are saying CC, I was just in a bad mood because UConn lost. And since they lost, they won't get a good seed.

Syracuse will probably get a 3 seed, which will make me happy. Even though I HATE them, it makes the Big East look better.

Before the GT/UNC game gets forgotten, I just want to point out that Paul Hewitt is a badass. Here's his quote on Georgia Tech's win

"This was no upset out here today. I want to make that point clear," Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt said. "These are two great teams, and our team, being a team that I think has accomplished a lot at big moments ... to be written off was kind of amusing to me.

Color me amused too. I just hope to god Tech doesn't get put in Illinois's bracket, because I feel like they can beat pretty much anyone else in the country right now.

Tonight is OSU/Texas Tech. The committee is saved again by having 2 teams that are already in playing for the title.

This Big XII tourney has been really really good.

Tonight is OSU/Texas Tech. The committee is saved again by having 2 teams that are already in playing for the title.

This Big XII tourney has been really really good.

The game would be over an hour before the selection show anyway. It's not like the SWAC tournament a few years ago, where the only time ESPN had to show the final was after the selection show. Jackson State got screwed a couple of years in a row because they had a decent at-large profile, but would never get a spot because the committee wouldn't give them an at-large bid and they choked against Southern in the final both years.