TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Milwaukee Brewers

The Milwaukee Brewers lost 94 games last year, par for the course with this squad. The Brewers have lost 94, 106, 94 and 94 games in the last four seasons. The Brewers have not enjoyed a winning season since 1992. However, this squad finally has reason to hope. Several young players are on their way up, and they are taking the place of unproductive veterans. The club also plugged some other holes. For example...

Catcher: Last year the Brewers received poor production from Chad Moeller (.208/.265/.303) and Gary Bennett (.224/.297/.329). Combined, the duo scored just 45 runs created. The Brewers signed Damian Miller to a three year contract. Miller should produce an OPS at least 100 points higher than his predecessors.

Second Base: Junior Spivey played just 59 games last season. He led the team in games played at second base. Keith Ginter filled in admirably and produced for 52 games, but Bill Hall provided little production in 47 games. A full season from Spivey would benefit the team greatly.

Shortstop: Craig Counsell posted a .330 OBP but a meager .315 slugging percentage. 22 year old J.J. Hardy is penciled in to take the SS job this season. Pecota projects a .268/.328/.437 line. ZipS predicts a .252/.347/.397 line. Both represent improvements over Counsell.

Outfield: The Brewers traded Scott Podsednik to the Chicago White Sox for Carlos Lee, apparently while Kenny Williams was drinking. Podsednik posted a .244/.313/.364 line last season for the Brewers, albeit with 70 stolen bases in 83 tries. Carlos Lee hit .306/.366/.525 last season with 11 steals. Brady Clark will likely slide over to center field until Dave Krynzel is ready.

Pitchers: Ben Hendrickson struggled in the majors last season, but his pedigree is solid. He should improve this season. Jose Capellan provides a solid young arm as well. Dan Kolb earned the "proven closer" tag, despite a non-existant K rate, and a 4.88 Post All-Star break ERA. The Brewers did well to trade Kolb while his value was high.

This team colud easily improve by ten games or more this season. A run at .500 is quite possible.

It's good to see the Brewers on the verge of turning their franchise around just after Bud Selig sells the team.

PROJECTED LINEUP

1. Brady Clark CF

2. Junior Spivey 2B

3. Geoff Jenkins RF

4. Carlos Lee LF

5. Lyle Overbay 1B

6. Wes Helms 3B

7. Damian Miller C

8. J.J. Hardy SS

Rotation

1. B. Sheets

2. D. Davis

3. V. Santos

4. B. Hendrickson

5. C. Capuano

Well....Carlos Lee was a good addition for them, and the lineup is actually pretty solid. And of course everyone raves about Ben Sheets (too bad he'll be with the Yankees or Red Sox by August). Still, even an improved Brewers club is no better then 4th place in a tough division...

One of these days, someone has got to explain to me why the Brewers would trade their best pitcher a year and a half before he hits free agency to one of two teams that have few elite prospects in their systems.

I actually think third place is a possibility, if the Astros collapse.

One of these days, someone has got to explain to me why the Brewers would trade their best pitcher a year and a half before he hits free agency to one of two teams that have few elite prospects in their systems.

Brewers are a poorly run team.

Brewers are a poorly run team.

They have a new owner and new general manager.

I know. The reason everyone say Sheets will go to New York or Boston, is it always seems to happen. Reguardless, if other teams have better prospects.

Guest LooneyTune

The Yankees are out of AAA players that are worth players as good as Sheets. I'd put my money on Boston getting him (if the Brewers actually do rid of him).

I know. The reason everyone say Sheets will go to New York or Boston, is it always seems to happen. Reguardless, if other teams have better prospects.

Ok. Name the last All-Star player the Brewers lost to a big market club. They haven't even HAD quality players.

I think Ben Sheets will sign a long-term deal with Milwaukee at some point.

Guest jonstreich
Ok. Name the last All-Star player the Brewers lost to a big market club. They haven't even HAD quality players.

Are you talking through free agency or through trades? If you're talking trades, they've lost a fair number.

Also, people who are thinking Doug Melvin and Mark Attanasio would be willing to trade Ben Sheets: No way. Not when Attanasio just finalized buying the team and stated his first priority was signing Sheets.

I think Ben Sheets will sign a long-term deal with Milwaukee at some point.

I was taking aobut teams in general.

Guest Failed Mascot

If the new Brewers owner is willing to spend money then Sheets stays. I'm just hoping the Red Sox sign Lyle Overbay when he hits the market or trade for him. I don't see the Brewers investing money in him with Prince Fielder coming up. The Red Sox don't have any real big 1B prospects. They got one from the Mets for the Mienkgpigsnnue deal but he had a bad wrist injury so there's no telling if he pans out.

And all that aside the Red Sox don't even NEED Ben Sheets. Come on: you've got Curt Schilling, Matt Clement, David Wells, Tim Wakefield, Brandon Arroyo*, and Wade Miller. That's a solid rotation.

*intentional don't shoot me Red Sox Nation which = half of TSM

Guest Failed Mascot
And all that aside the Red Sox don't even NEED Ben Sheets. Come on: you've got Curt Schilling, Matt Clement, David Wells, Tim Wakefield, Brandon Arroyo*, and Wade Miller. That's a solid rotation.

*intentional don't shoot me Red Sox Nation which = half of TSM

bronson_reuters,0.jpg

No Dice

Are you talking through free agency or through trades? If you're talking trades, they've lost a fair number.

Also, people who are thinking Doug Melvin and Mark Attanasio would be willing to trade Ben Sheets: No way. Not when Attanasio just finalized buying the team and stated his first priority was signing Sheets.

They have, but they received a fair return in most of those trades, particularly in the Sexson deal.

The stigma of having lost so many all-star players since the late 80's still sticks strong with Wisconsin baseball fans. There has been a marked improvement over the last few years (and new hope with new ownership/management) but the feeling that 'hes good so he'll be gone soon' is still prevelant.

If the Brewers can turn the corner and show that they care about success then they will see a noticeable spike in attendance. There is an audience that is eager to become rabid if management can prove that the goal is to return to being a winning franchise.