TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Best/Worst songs for commencments/senior sendoffs/

Because of my sis class a few years eailer, in ELem they for now one do "This One's for the children" by New Kids on the Block.

When I was leaving 8th grade, my class wanted "I'll be missing you" by Puffy. I said who is dying and it dropped for "Its So hard to say Goodbye to yesterday".

Senior year I wanted "Wherever U Go, Whatever U Do" by Prince but I guess since it was prince they said no, dispite loving the lyrics of the song. So I can't remember what crappy song they picked, seeing as mine was outside in the middle of a thunderstorm on a metal platform.

My class song was "Your Time is Now" by John Mellencamp, Indiana's own.

I did see on a music review site that one of the readers went to an Indiana high school that used "Jack and Diane" as their graduation song. She then commented rather sarcastically about using a song about two kids basically never getting out of the town they grew up in for a graduation ceremony.

For my eighth grade graduation, the class overwhelmingly selected the all-star charity single "Voices That Care" that came out in the wake of the first Persian Gulf war.

:throwup:

It was bad enough that it was also the theme for the eighth grade PROM, but we also had to sing that damn song during the ceremony as a group. I refused to sing, mostly because:

1. I didn't support that war.

2. I couldn't stand the song.

There's nothing funnier than two of the class geeks threatening to beat me up if I didn't sing the song. Even during the rehearsals, I stood there silently, plotting a way I could smuggle a portable radio into the graduation so I could skip that song AND all of the stupid speeches and awards. Those two nerds were standing behind me hissing "SING! SIIIING!!"

-Ben

Guest Agent of Oblivion
She then commented rather sarcastically about using a song about two kids basically never getting out of the town they grew up in for a graduation ceremony.

Sarcastic comment indeed. That's what happens around here.

Though they never played it at our graduation ceremony, our senior high song was Quad City DJs' "C'mon Ride the Train" or whatever the hell is was called. They even had shirts with this garish train riding down the tracks, getting something close to "funky," I guess.

Mine was "Yesterday" by the Beatles, more or less competently performed by our school choir. It was an appropriate choice, but a slightly depressing one.

Though they never played it at our graduation ceremony, our senior high song was Quad City DJs' "C'mon Ride the Train" or whatever the hell is was called. They even had shirts with this garish train riding down the tracks, getting something close to "funky," I guess.

"C'mon Ride The Train"?!? When did you graduate from high school, 1996?

Hmmmm, both my graduations just had the good ol Pomp and Circumstance blaring through the PA . . . made me want to do the thing in the ring and get funky like a monkey. Oh Yeah!

Although Faith No More's "From Out of Nowhere" would be a kickin song for a commencement.

Guest Temet

I had Ben Folds' "Sill Fightin' It", which was good actually, if a little depressing.