TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MikeJordan23

WWE to leave Spike TV

Thanks for the info, Looney, but if you haven't noticed I kind of follow the product so I knew that ;)

I was using examples. The point is TNA has access to a wealth of former WWF and WCW stars they're willing to throw money out to make guest appearences, and would certainly utilise that to grab new fans if put head to head.

Guest LooneyTune

I was replying to the post before yours Slapnuts, but you make a good point. The "anything can happen" aspect can work, especially when WCW would book Nitro as the show was happening to counteract what WWF was doing on RAW.

If TNA do go to Spike, it'll wind up either launching them into the stratosphere, or killing them dead.

Every move they've made since their inception has had the same risk. They're still around...

But this one is national television in a possible prime time slot. Given that they'll also have the kind of advertising that goes with that, it'll be their best chance at getting the most people to tune in. If that doesn't happen, they'll kill their chances of any future major tv deal, because they'll have a negative stigma around them. If that happens, they''ll not get this kind of deal again, if ever, and that alone will kill what's left of wrestler morale and loyalty.

Guest Failed Mascot

Not to mention other wrestlers not being utilised properly by the WWE might be more willing to go for their release and head over to TNA if they had a solid TV contract. Names like RVD, Booker-T, and Helms come to mind. Helms being in the X-Division would be a thing of beauty. He could even bring back the Vertabreaker. I don't care if that Japanese wrestler that took the Glacier stuff got injured from it or not. Its a cool move, use it.

Who knows, maybe even Jericho would be interested down the line since he would be headlining. Imagine a Jericho and AJ Styles feud. Awesome.

Hell they could go total WCW route. Wait for one of those 2 week periods where RAW is pre-empted by the Tennis or Dog Show. Week 1 show an unopposed "best of" special. Show a couple Ultimate X matches, Six Sides of Steel, plenty of AJ Styles and AMW matches and every big name they've used from Hogan to Sting to Nash to that time Tony Schiavone showed up (ok maybe not). Promote the hell out of next week's show with a PPV like lineup. Then in the second unopposed week put on a show like their last few PPVs with a couple big matches, throw in a couple big names appearences and boom hook 'em.

Of course this is delving into Fantasy Booking by now I guess...

[

I think the "marks' would flip to check out this other wrestling show on, see a 6 sided ring, tunnel entrances

TUNNEL ENTRANCES?!? I'M THERE!

Hey, I'm just saying one of the things that made Nitro stood out was their set looked different and more futuristic then WWF's bland set. RAW's set has been the same for years now. TNA with their loyal and vocal crowd, strobe lights, splash graphics, lighted tunnels with cameras showing entrances from the back, and of course that 6 sided ring all makes them stand out from WWE and look way more fresh then RAW. From the first iMPACT!, ignoring the wrestling, all the reviews said the production itself looked so good, it will win them channel flippers...

OOh forgot the the sports like score box at the top with the time, and the info bar at the bottom...

Guest Super Pissed Smark

If Spike and Viacom still wanted wrestling, why let Vince get away? Because they'd rather have TNA? I think you guys are clutching at straws here.

So does this mean that Smackdown is done at UPN once that contract runs out?

If Spike and Viacom still wanted wrestling, why let Vince get away? Because they'd rather have TNA? I think you guys are clutching at straws here.

WWE is too expensive, TNA would take a discount...

Guest Shadow

I'm surprised no one has made the NBC/USA connection reference yet.

Gotta wonder if Vince makes another run at a Saturday Night Main Event special.

Guest LooneyTune

SNME was back when big matches never happend on regular TV. Now that we get main event style shows every week (on Raw and SD), it wouldn't really mean anything.

As for RAW, does this mean USA Network has outbid Spike or that Spike just didn't have interest in giving the WWE an increase in money to sign a new deal?

Cause what happens to the WWE if USA NETWORK announces they have no interest in the World Wrestling Entertainment?

I was wondering the same thing.

USA has been hurting since WWE left.

They would be foolish not to take them back.

The Network is letting WWE go so they can give UFC a 2 hour weekly show.

Guest Brian

USA has done a pretty good job with original programming like Monk, but I thought FX had overtaken them.

razazteca, you're not kidding around are you?

I assume Spike's ditching wrestling as a whole, so I doubt TNA will get swept up in the void.

Last week's cable numbers

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/...%7c1%7c,00.html

In a tight race at the top of the cable ratings heap, TNT's repeats of "Law & Order" proved more powerful than USA Network's fresh episode of "Monk."

Overall, TNT averaged 2.39 million viewers per night in primetime, just ahead of the 2.33 million for USA. Nick at Nite kept things close in third with 2.25 million viewers. The Cartoon Network took third, averaging 1.92 million, better than TBS' 1.89 million.

TNT's weekly win was paced by a trio of "Law & Order" repeats, going as high as No. 7 with 3.84 million. Other Top 15 episodes were at No. 13 with 3.4 million and No. 14 with 3.26 million. All three episodes finished behind USA's new "Monk," which was No. 4 with 4.44 million, but that was USA's only listworthy entry.

Much of the rest of the basic cable Top 15 was stuffed to the gills with Nickelodeon animated offerings. Three episodes of "Fairly OddParents" soared to a peak of No. 2 with 4.89 million viewers and also landed at No. 3 with 4.47 million viewers and No. 12 with 3.43 million. A quartet of "SpongeBob SquarePants" half-hours peaked at No. 5 with 4.31 million and went as low as No. 11 with 3.43 million. Heck, an episode of "Danny Phantom" even managed to make it onto the list, coming in at No. 9 with 3.77 million viewers.

In a robust week for Spike TV, the manly network had cable's most watched show with the WWE Entertainment double-bill averaging 5.18 million viewers, and also placed a repeat of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" at No. 10 with 3.59 million.

On the HBO-dominated premium cable side, nothing could top an airing of "Man on Fire." The season premiere of "Deadwood" delivered a solid 2.79 million viewers for second, boosting "Carnivale" to third with 1.96 million. "Shock Video 2004" was fourth with 1.15 million, edging a repeat of "Sex and the City," which was fifth with 1.12 million.

[

I think the "marks' would flip to check out this other wrestling show on, see a 6 sided ring, tunnel entrances

TUNNEL ENTRANCES?!? I'M THERE!

Hey, I'm just saying one of the things that made Nitro stood out was their set looked different and more futuristic then WWF's bland set. RAW's set has been the same for years now. TNA with their loyal and vocal crowd, strobe lights, splash graphics, lighted tunnels with cameras showing entrances from the back, and of course that 6 sided ring all makes them stand out from WWE and look way more fresh then RAW. From the first iMPACT!, ignoring the wrestling, all the reviews said the production itself looked so good, it will win them channel flippers...

OOh forgot the the sports like score box at the top with the time, and the info bar at the bottom...

There wouldn't be a Fox Box on Spike TV. I think that's just there for continuity with FSN's baseball/NBA/NHL coverage. It's not that necessary anyway.

Oh and I get what you mean about the different sets. Just mentioning "tunnel entrances" was kinda funny I guess. Raw does need a big overhaul too. I don't know if I like TNA's hexa-ring though.

The Network is letting WWE go so they can give UFC a 2 hour weekly show.

Highly doubt it. MMA doesn't lend itself well to a weekly format because the top stars couldn't compete more then once a month if that. It might be used as a platform to give new and lesser known fighters some exposure to build them up for PPV matches.

Which would make sense in terms of the Tuesday Night Fights boxing format Dana White envisioned for UFC...

I'll give Spike TV credit for having better followups to RAW. I mean, the "adult" cartoons, MXC, Joe Schmoe and Ultimate Fighter is all the kind of stuff that appeals to wrestlings target audience. I've actually watched both Joe Schmoes and the Ultimate Fighter because they followed RAW, as I'd likely never go out of my way to watch a reality show. Did anyone really stick around for Silk Stalkings, Tek Wars or that beach cop show with Slater back in the USA days?

Neither channel did a very good job with lead ins IMO, USA used to have Walker: Texas Ranger reruns for a long time, and Spike has had CSI, Star Trek and probably some other stuff. I've never understood why they consistently lead in to RAW with repeats of TV dramas.

I can't really compare the advertising campaigns because I honestly never watch either channel except for when RAW was/is on.

Guest Brian

The closest thing I heard is that they would do a show where in a given period, they would follow a few fighters around in training and such building up to a big fight. Similar to the current TUF but with guys who have gone a bit further.

I'll give Spike TV credit for having better followups to RAW. I mean, the "adult" cartoons, MXC, Joe Schmoe and Ultimate Fighter is all the kind of stuff that appeals to wrestlings target audience. I've actually watched both Joe Schmoes and the Ultimate Fighter because they followed RAW, as I'd likely never go out of my way to watch a reality show. Did anyone really stick around for Silk Stalkings, Tek Wars or that beach cop show with Slater back in the USA days?

Neither channel did a very good job with lead ins IMO, USA used to have Walker: Texas Ranger reruns for a long time, and Spike has had CSI, Star Trek and probably some other stuff. I've never understood why they consistently lead in to RAW with repeats of TV dramas.

I can't really compare the advertising campaigns because I honestly never watch either channel except for when RAW was/is on.

Raw doesn't need a lead-in. It's Raw. You turn on the TV at 8 for Raw like you have for years. It's meant to be a lead-in.

Word in MMA circles is an Ortiz vs Shamrock rematch may take place on Spike in the future if UFC gets Tito back under contraxt.

Word in MMA circles is an Ortiz vs Shamrock rematch may take place on Spike in the future if UFC gets Tito back under contraxt.

Rich Franklin vs. Ken Shamrock is signed, sealed and ready to be delivered as the main even to the April 9th Live Spike TUF finale special. They're hoping Shamrock pulls off the upset so they can put him and Ortiz on PPV and do another monster buyrate (which they probably will anyway even if Shamrock loses).

Raw doesn't need a lead-in. It's Raw. You turn on the TV at 8 for Raw like you have for years. It's meant to be a lead-in.

Are you saying 8 because you're in central time? Stop trying to confuse me! :P

My point wasn't that RAW needs a lead in to attract viewers, my point is that these channels could make better use of that built in wrestling audience. They know people will tune in at 9 (est ;) ) for RAW, so there's no reason not to book something that might appeal to them before it, get the viewers who are trying to kill an hour before RAW. The stuff they stick before RAW, IMO at least, wouldn't make many wrestling fans tune into the channel earlier than 9. Put something cool like Ultimate Fighter at 8 and they've got me tuning in an hour earlier, thus increasing their ratings.

Did anyone really stick around for Silk Stalkings, Tek Wars or that beach cop show with Slater back in the USA days?

I must admit, I was something of a Silk Stalkings mark back in the day.