TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Judge Says California Can't Ban Gay Marriage

Guest MikeSC
Nor am I. Pardon me, but it just gets really old sometimes when conservatives crow on and on about the way things used to be, as if people in power were really any less corrupt 50 years ago than they are now.

I could mention the lower crime rate, illegitimacy rate, etc from 50 years ago.

Some things were always done in recorded history for a reason.

-=Mike

How about the REAL segregation?

Segregation has gone from a requirement to a desire by the minority group.

I don't see how THAT has improved deep down. Yes, it's good that there is no longer required segregation --- but the deep problems are still there, and arguably might actually be worse on the part of minority groups.

But, I think minorities have been horribly served by the civil rights groups that once fought for such noble goals.

-=Mike

I meant Sum of All Fears.

I tend to draw blanks involving films with Ben Affleck in them.

-=Mike

Is anyone else extremely offended by this? Did anybody freeze when they read what Mike wrote? My blood ran cold. I said a prayer for Ben Affleck.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Is anyone else extremely offended by this? Did anybody freeze when they read what Mike wrote? My blood ran cold. I said a prayer for Ben Affleck.

You should. The pact he signed with Satan to have a career despite a lack of actual talent will end up biting him in the end.

-=Mike

Nor am I. Pardon me, but it just gets really old sometimes when conservatives crow on and on about the way things used to be, as if people in power were really any less corrupt 50 years ago than they are now.

-=Mike

I don't see how THAT has improved deep down. Yes, it's good that there is no longer required segregation --- but the deep problems are still there, and arguably might actually be worse on the part of minority groups.

But, I think minorities have been horribly served by the civil rights groups that once fought for such noble goals.

-=Mike

Are you honestly comparing the segregation that happened in the fifties to the "segregation" that happens now?

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

-=Mike

Are you honestly comparing the segregation that happened in the fifties to the "segregation" that happens now?

No. I'm actually saying, in some ways, the current segregation will be a bigger problem for the country in the future. In the past, the government was requiring it and taking care of THAT problem was fairly easy (i.e, the solution WAS something you could prescribe easily --- namely, change the laws)

How do we correct the problem of minorities WANTING to segregate themselves, especially when dealing with other racial groups is of INCREASED importance?

I'm not saying the segregation of the 50's was nothing big. It was a HUGE problem. The problem, though, was something you could fix by simply repealing the law.

The current problem is a bit more complex.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
You act as though "white" people are waiting for "minorities" with open arms to finally put their differences aside and it's all our fault. That's pretty ignorant.

Whites are so cowed at the prospect of being referred to as racists that they won't do anything to even POSSIBLY offend them.

-=Mike

...Have you not noticed the lack of blacks convicted of hate crimes? How about the lack of blacks forced to go to racial sensitivity training?

-=Mike

You should. The pact he signed with Satan to have a career despite a lack of actual talent will end up biting him in the end.

-=Mike

Dude was in Dazed and Confused and Boiler Room, too very good and fun performances. And I admired and liked Changing Lanes too, and of course Chasing Amy.

Yes, a thread dealing with Gay Marriage and all I've got to add is a defense of Ben Affleck performances.

KKK, you better step up production or I'm outsourcing all your jokes to southern Asia

Where do you think I get my jokes from in the first place? Tip: Buy in bulk.

There is way too much discussion of KKK in this thread.

You can never have such a thing.

And everybody knows I was talking about Ripper in my first post, right?... :ph34r:

Guest Agent of Oblivion
You act as though "white" people are waiting for "minorities" with open arms to finally put their differences aside and it's all our fault. That's pretty ignorant.

Whites are so cowed at the prospect of being referred to as racists that they won't do anything to even POSSIBLY offend them.

-=Mike

You've got to be joking.

Guest Loss

I know. I don't know anyone who feels that way, and I wouldn't give them much weight if I did.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

You've got to be joking.

Did you go to college? It's impossible to miss.

-=Mike

The only real segregation I *might* buy is black only groups, like on campus or whatever.

But I disagree about groups segregating themselves. Can't it just as easily be argued that white people don't go and say hi to a black kid?

Nope. The whites aren't forcing the blacks out. The blacks are CHOOSING to segregate themselves. The whites are so cowed by the fear of being called racists and being brought in front of some disciplinary panel, facing possible expulsion for saying something impolite, that they don't say a word.

Why in the world should anybody expend any effort to make friends with somebody who has already made it abundantly clear that they do not wish to be friends?

-=Mike

Thats such bullshit. So if you have two groups of people not speaking to eachother, one black and one white, its the black groups fault they aren't speaking? Could you please explain the theory behind that thinking? How can you exclude one party from responsiblity in this? They are both doing the same thing.

And here is the shocker.....COLLEGE LIFE IS NOT THE REAL WORLD!!! I know this might be shocking. I know. But suprisingly, what happens in college holds little to no bearing in the real world. This "choosing to be segregated" bullshit(that doesn't even exist to the extent that you always claim it does) has nothing to do with the real world and trying to compare a "problem" in college to nationwide segregation laws are laughable.

But honestly, anytime someone says that this country was better off 50 years ago looses any chance to argue anything with me, because they are obviously delusional. The only thing better 50 years ago was the environment, and since we don't have the ablilty to damage the planen(according to mike) that isn't even true.

Guest MikeSC

Who said it was better off 50 years ago?

It was definitely better in some instances, but not all.

-=Mike

I'll be honest, the first time this REALLY started bugging me was with "Clear and Present Danger" where they completely changed the plot of the story, changing the terrorists with nukes from the apparently implausible Muslims to the far more plausible Russian mafia.

I thought Clear and Present Danger was about the President waging an illegal war against South American drug lords.

-=Mike

Your point is well-taken Mike, but with respect to this specific example you're a bit off. The plotline for "Sum of All Fears" was changed BEFORE September 11th ever happened. When Clancy was asked about it, he basically said that they changed it because the Muslim terrorist storyline was "cliched" and there hadn't been any big terrorist attacks of that sort in a while, so they wanted something more original. He actually says that if the movie had been started production after September 11th, they would have left it as in the book because it would have been more current and more plausible.