TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

Somebody Needs To Shut Up Barbara Boxer

Guest MikeSC
Please post the following:

I believe that the human race will never run out of resources.

I just want to make it absolutely clear that's what you're saying.

Yes. We'll never run out of oil before we move beyond oil. We'll never run out of trees as we replace them. We'll never run out of any metals.

And I'd be willing to do the same bet Simon did with Ehrlich in 1980.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
I guess we'd better get cracking on that oil substitute then.

Do you think the car manufacturers aren't?

Do you realize how much MONEY there is in it?

-=Mike

Wow, you're naive.

Guest MikeSC

Wow, you're naive.

No, you clearly are.

Investing in that will pay them HUGE dividends.

Like it or not, they are in the business of MAKING money --- and that path is a path of untold riches if they can find something to replace oil and patent it.

-=Mike

Why would car companies want to not spend the money to totally redesign their product when their current product is selling so well?

Hmmm, why could that be????

Guest MikeSC
Why would car companies want to not spend the money to totally redesign their product when their current product is selling so well?

Hmmm, why could that be????

Car companies want to make money. ANYTHING that can make them more money they will invest in.

An alternative to the traditional gas-powered internal combustion engine will be investigated as it can lead to MASSIVE profits for them if they can find a way to produce them efficiently.

-=Mike

Car companies want to make money. ANYTHING that can make them more money they will invest in.

An alternative to the traditional gas-powered internal combustion engine will be investigated as it can lead to MASSIVE profits for them if they can find a way to produce them efficiently.

Damn, those hybrid cars that get 50+ miles to the gallon sure are flying off the lot.

Guest MikeSC

Damn, those hybrid cars that get 50+ miles to the gallon sure are flying off the lot.

Blame the consumers for not buying them. Car manufacturers are trying to find ways to produce them more cheaply because if they can pull that off, the sky is the limit for how much money they could make.

-=Mike

Blame the consumers for not buying them. Car manufacturers are trying to find ways to produce them more cheaply because if they can pull that off, the sky is the limit for how much money they could make.

-=Mike

So what makes you think the consumers will want to buy a car with an oil alternative?

Why would car manufacturers want to spend billions developing a product no one wants to buy?

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

So what makes you think the consumers will want to buy a car with an oil alternative?

Why would car manufacturers want to spend billions developing a product no one wants to buy?

Because if they can actually make a car that looks good AND gets 50 mpg --- it will sell much better than a car with less than half of that.

The technology is not perfect so the hybrids are costly and not terribly attractive. So, they're trying to remedy that.

-=Mike

Because if they can actually make a car that looks good AND gets 50 mpg --- it will sell much better than a car with less than half of that.

The technology is not perfect so the hybrids are costly and not terribly attractive. So, they're trying to remedy that.

The sad part is that you might be right.

"Wow, that one car over there is going to save me 50% of my gas costs over what I'm currently driving, but it doesn't look as good as that new H2 that gets 2 mpg!"

People are so fucking stupid.

Actually read all of the article Mike posted. Very interesting.

I thought that most people over 10 years old stopped caring about recycling.

If a chick is strong enough to carry Mikey Moore down from a multi-story burning building, then I'm all for them being on the force.

"_____ IS Michael Moore IN 'The Cowering Inferno!'"

Who would play him? Or would it be a documentary?

RobotJerk is the best thing to happen to the CE folder in forever, because he and Mike make absolutely the cutest couple I've seen in a long time.

I find their relationship both adorable and riveting.

Because if they can actually make a car that looks good AND gets 50 mpg  --- it will sell much better than a car with less than half of that.

The sad part is that you might be right.

"Wow, that one car over there is going to save me 50% of my gas costs over what I'm currently driving, but it doesn't look as good as that new H2 that gets 2 mpg!"

People are so fucking stupid.

"You do not understand."-Kosh

RobotJerk is the best thing to happen to the CE folder in forever...

Whether you intended it or not, I am taking that as a compliment.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

People also buy their vehicles based on specific needs and performance, not just looks and gas mileage. The people that do might as well take the bus. I dive a big pickup truck with a lot of torque because it's quick, and I have things to haul. If an affordable vehicle could do the same thing running on an alternate cheaper, cleaner fuel, I would buy it. As it stands, hybrid vehicles are advanced ugly go karts for commuter yuppie scum.

Guest MikeSC
People also buy their vehicles based on specific needs and performance, not just looks and gas mileage. The people that do might as well take the bus. I dive a big pickup truck with a lot of torque because it's quick, and I have things to haul. If an affordable vehicle could do the same thing running on an alternate cheaper, cleaner fuel, I would buy it. As it stands, hybrid vehicles are advanced ugly go karts for commuter yuppie scum.

And I think we can agree that the first company that makes a hybrid that actually looks like a car somebody might want to drive, that the car would probably sell like hotcakes. It could make the SUV look like a money drain if they can get it down properly.

-=Mike

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Performance and Price are the bigger factors. People will buy a car shaped like anything.

Why is diesel fuel so expensive, anyway?

Guest MikeSC
Performance and Price are the bigger factors. People will buy a car shaped like anything.

Well, within reason. I still assume anybody who bought the PT Cruiser is just legally blind. But people do not like buying boxy cars. You make a hybrid that looks good and you'll have good sales. If they can ever make one with an engine strong enough to tow a skateboard and you could write your own check.

Why is diesel fuel so expensive, anyway?

Who'd want a diesel car? My dad had one and that thing was a bitch to start.

-=Mike

Yeah because "Yuppie Scum" aren't a big portion of the SUV buyers? You are kidding right? I would be willing to be a lot more yuppies have a shiny Navigator, or Explorer sitting in their drive-way, then a hybrid. And just how many of those people bought them because of "performance" rather then, "well everyone else in the neighborhood has one, we better get with it, and get one for ourselves" I can't believe someone has the nerve to suggest at least 50% of the SUV market is not driven by as you so elequently put it "yuppie scum" Someone posted an article in this forum well over a year ago, about the marketing change in the SUV as a vehicle and how that classification used to be exlusively for tractors and heavy vehicles used in construction, so it would make sense to be lax on the regulations as far as emissions and safety go. However when the "SUV" changed from a tractor, to a Dodge Durango, strangely the lax regulations never changed, thus the car companies could skimp on emissions regulations. Also how it targeted women and families, as if no one has EVER had kids before and not had an SUV to get around town in. Their so-called "safety features" are basically a load of shit, but people automatically buy into, "if I am driving the biggest thing on the road, that means I am safe" Just the other day, driving on the freeway I witnessed Mini-Van vs. Yukon, and the Yukon ended up on it's side with a smashed windshield, while the Mini-van had some minor front end damage.

As far as looks, explain how the following cars don't look nearly identical to what is seen daily on the road everyday?

live_hybrid_escape2005.jpg

live_hybrid_accord2005.jpg

live_hybrid_civic04.jpg

http://eartheasy.com/live_hybrid_cars.htm

I thought diesel fuel was less expensive then regular fuel.

Not it Houston it's not. Don't know about elsewhere, but it's running about $0.10/gal more than gasoline.

As far as looks, explain how the following cars don't look nearly identical to what is seen daily on the road everyday?

live_hybrid_escape2005.jpg

live_hybrid_accord2005.jpg

live_hybrid_civic04.jpg

Holy shit! They make a hybrid SUV? I didn't know that.

Toyota's hybrid is ugly as sin, but those Hondas really do look sharp.

Anyone know how well those things have been selling?

And, more importantly, when is an American car company going to produce a hybrid?

American car companies are a large part of the problem, and they're anachronistic. There is a definite market for hybrids out there, yet the American car companies seem content to just produce nothing but fucking trucks and SUVs.

Oh, and I also blame Red-State America. Because all the good ol' boys I know wouldn't be caught dead in anything other than a GM truck.

Oh, and I also blame Red-State America. Because all the good ol' boys I know wouldn't be caught dead in anything other than a GM truck.

That generalization is unfair.

They drive Ford trucks, too.

Please post the following:

I believe that the human race will never run out of resources.

I just want to make it absolutely clear that's what you're saying.

Yes. We'll never run out of oil before we move beyond oil. We'll never run out of trees as we replace them. We'll never run out of any metals.

Well I know we don't have to worry about trees, because we have more trees in North America now than before the white devils ravaged the land with their greed and hate. I'm not so confident about oil though. We need to get that alternative energy source figured out quick, so we can allocate what's left from vehicle fuel to, you know, everything else we manufacture