TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Thomas Haden Church cast as villain for Spider-Man

frankly if they go that route (which has been rumored), a Venom who is thematically like a dark mirror of Spider-Man, I think that is an excellent dramatic choice that topher works well as, and actually truer to the original Venom than a blob of black goo and green drool and a giant tongue. original venom looked like spider-man in a black suit, with teeth.

Spider-Man dealing with having to face someone just like him, rather than some gigantic wrestling reject, is the kind of psychological characterization that fits right in with the tone of Spidey 2, and is the first time I've thought of venom as do-able rather than stupid.

Regarding the Ultimate origin, I dont recall exactly but I think it was a cancer-curing body suit developed by Peter and Eddie's parents (fellow scientists and friends or something). It was introduced in a pretty cool way actually, Pete finds an old home video of his and eddie's family at a picnic together, and he tracks down Eddie (who is in college) b/c of it, they become friends, and they find the leftover expirement, and somehow Eddie gets it and becomes Venom.

I like the direction you guys are going with Venom (Topher Grace, Eddie Brock/Venom isn't a muscle bound meat head, etc.)...works for me, I'd love to see it on film...

Guest JMA

Was Brock actually mentioned in the first movie or is that just made up? I have the movie but I haven't watched it in a while. Where is Brock's name mentioned (if he's mentioned at all)?

Guest JMA
In Jameson's office, Robbie says that 'Eddie' has been trying to get photos of Spider-Man for weeks, with no success. Everyone just assumed he meant Brock. I did.

Interesting. I know Raimi has never been a big Venom fan so maybe it's just a coincidence. Or maybe he really was planting the seeds for a future Venom appearance. I'd be more likely to believe the former, though.

I thought Grace was only rumored to be Venom, but will really play Chameleon.....or maybe it was that he was rumored to be Chameleon but was really Venom.

To add to the confusion, Topher has also been rumored to play Electro. So that's Chameleon, Venom, Electro. It's like some running sweepstakes, who's he gonna play.

Maybe he'll be Rhino as well. Or HobGoblin...I probably messed up the spelling.

Anyway, what are the odds you guys think that Dunst character dies in part 3? I'm saying 65% death.

Maybe he'll be Rhino as well. Or HobGoblin...I probably messed up the spelling.

Anyway, what are the odds you guys think that Dunst character dies in part 3? I'm saying 65% death.

Does that mean we'd get Felicia Hardy/Black Cat into the series? That would get my vote. Or more Betty Brant (Elizabeth Banks, psycho chick from "The 40 Year Old Virgin" I believe) even. Dunst lost a LOT of her appeal between 1 and 2, and she really doesn't exude the Mary Jane "sexiness" that I thought she was supposed to have in the comics.

is there any reason why people feel that these movies need to be patterned exactly like the comics? Topher as a slim Venom/Eddie Brock is a great idea, as some folks mentioned earlier...a spiderman clone, all black, white symbol with a mouth full of sharp teeth and a slimy tongue, not musclebound but the same body type as spiderman...I really dig that idea...he goes around committing crimes and folks think it's actually spiderman...

I was kinda meh on the way they portrayed MJ in the movies for awhile, but now it's like, so what if she's not the same as the comic books?

Guest SpiderFan

I'm hoping she gets offed by Harry, just to build him up as more of a threat, and we get Eliza Dushku as the Black Cat to be Pete's new love interest.

I'm hoping she gets offed by Harry, just to build him up as more of a threat, and we get Eliza Dushku as the Black Cat to be Pete's new love interest.

I don't care who steps in but it's time MJ and Dunst step out. I agree, Harry should kill her, even if by accident. Like he expects Pete to save her but he fails so he blames Peter for her death as well even though it would really be his fault.

Guest JMA

That might work pretty well. It could be a Gwen Stacy type of situation. Then again, it might piss off many of the casual fans.

^ Thanks for reminding them of my post that bumped this thread.

:bonk:

is there any reason why people feel that these movies need to be patterned exactly like the comics?

Well being faithful to the comics so far has done this movie series justice. I mean there's been a few minor changes, but they were for the best.

Lemme get this straight. When looking to hire someone to play a red head, they hire a blonde. And when the character is a blonde, they hire a red head.

So I guess she is the dead meat of the movie. Cause someone HAS to die in this one. What else will Peter be able to whine and mope around about with his Dashboard Confessional CD if someone doesn't die?

Guest Starks

As they only have the original cast signed up untill the end of Spiderman III the following will happen:

- Sony/Rami etc have all publicly stated that the plan is for 6 films.

- They will sign Tobey Maguire to a Keanue-Reeves-Matrix-Sequels sized deal for films IV-VI. 8 figures + points.

Spiderman III - Spiderman takes on the Sandman, destroying a city block in the process, and becoming the subject of a police hunt, leading him to encounter the police captains daughter Gwen Stacey. Peter is on the outer at The Bugle for breaking up Mary-Jane and JJs son, leading to Eddie Brock(Topher Grace) becoming JJ's go to guy for photography. A heated rivalry ensures as Brock has always looked up to Peter and his life, and Eddie Brock develops a huge crush on MJ. Harry takes up the mantle of The GreenGoblin/HobGobblin and is the main villian. JJs son goes on a mission to outspace and an alien Sympiote attaches itself to the ship. Spiderman has to help save the crew when the landing goes wrong and finds the Sympiote. Having had difficulties surviving the attacks of two enemies at the same time (Gobblin/Sandman teamup) he uses the Symbiote as a black suit to increase his abillities. Harry feels angered by Spiderman's role in his father's death, and decides Peter should lose someone he cares greatly for. The GreenGoblin re-enacts the bridge scene from the first movie, and MJ dies this time. Spiderman and The Gobblin have an epic fight where Harry is defeated, but Spiderman cannot kill him. Peter realises the suit is starting to take control so he ditches it. Eddie Brock is enraged at Spiderman and the GreenGoblin for MJ's death and kills Harry it a fit of rage. Then while contemplating killing himself over what he has done he finds the Sympiote suit, which is also angry at Spiderman for his rejection, and becomes Venom in the final frames of the movie.

Spiderman IV - Spiderman Vs Venom. Detailed setup of Dr. Conners transformation into the Lizard, perhaps he regrows his arm at the end of the movie. Peter and Gwen get serious.

Spiderman V - Spiderman Vs The Lizard & either Electro/Scorpion/Vulture/Rhino etc. Mix in the Black Cat as a potential Love intrest.

Spiderman VI - Spiderman and the Sinister 6: Spiderman takes on the Sinister 6 comprised of GreenGoblin(III), DocOck, Sandman, Venom, The Lizard and either Electro/Scorpion/Vulture/Rhino etc.

Lemme get this straight. When looking to hire someone to play a red head, they hire a blonde. And when the character is a blonde, they hire a red head.

Good point

Though I'm fine with it, since Opie's kid is much better looking than Dunst

So I guess she is the dead meat of the movie. Cause someone HAS to die in this one. What else will Peter be able to whine and mope around about with his Dashboard Confessional CD if someone doesn't die?

"How could this happen to meeeeeeee?"