TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Thomas Haden Church cast as villain for Spider-Man

Ned and Stacey! THAT'S where I knew Thomas Hayden Church from originally. I kind of enjoyed that show.

Wonder how long they can keep the Spiderman franchise going? Hopefully the quality doesn't disintegrate as with the Batman and Superman movies..

I heard this is the last movie

No way. Sony wants to do NINE Spider-Man movies. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the last one Raimi does, though.

Guest JMA

I'm not convinced that Raimi will ever have Venom in the Spider-Man franchise. Hasn't he said before that he wasn't interested in the character?

Anyway, I'm thinking that Church will be the Scorpion.

I thought of the S6 as well, could be a way to bring in the symbiote as well. Harry brings the six together to take out Spidey. Spider-Man gets torn apart, he just barely gets away, the costum is completely shredded. The symbiote comes into play from JJJ's son bringing it back from some space mission, Peter comes in contact with it and it joins with him. Spidey then has to run the gauntlet of the six<I know they did this in one of the comics where he had to fight each of the six one by one> with Harry being last, with the symbiote he tears through the first five like nothing. mid-way through the fight with Harry he realizes the symbiote is taking controll, he's now trying to fight it of along with Harry<this would be the time in the fight where the villain gets the big upper had before the hero makes the big come back.> Spider-Man avoids the "death blow" from Harry and dumps te symbiote, he finishes the fight as himself, good conquers evil, blah, blah, blah. The movie ends with Eddie Brock coming across the symbiote<early in the movie we'd have to introduce Brock and establish the relationship with him and Parker>

But that's probably way to much then they could fit into one movie unless there were very few non-action scenes as you'd have the first fiht with the si where Parker gets torn apart, and the six seperate fights<though Spidey wuld finish the first five off rather quickly establishing the power of the symbiote>

Guest Vitamin X
Ned and Stacey! THAT'S where I knew Thomas Hayden Church from originally. I kind of enjoyed that show.

Wonder how long they can keep the Spiderman franchise going? Hopefully the quality doesn't disintegrate as with the Batman and Superman movies..

No way. Sony wants to do NINE Spider-Man movies. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the last one Raimi does, though.

Okay, so the last GOOD Spider-Man one will be #3, then...

I have no problem with Dunst as Mary Jane. Actually I think she seems a little too pretty for the role.

Do you mean in the sense that she is the girl next door type, but not the knockout that the comics depict MJ as?

I only really read Spiderman as a kid, and in the 80s and early 90s the artwork wasn't as polished as it is now...she always came off rail thin and less than a knockout

Random thought, they could have the symbiote suit be something created by Oscorp that Harry joins up with to become Venom.

This franchise is a huge cash cow for pretty much anyone involved - no way it'd end after just three movies.

You're right, though, this may be the last film that Raimi's involved with - and probably the last one starring the current cast.

But Marvel et al wouldn't DREAM of letting the franchise die. Shit, the success of the first film was a huge factor in helping Marvel recover economically.

Dunst looked better in the first movie because she wore a red wig, which made her hair look more like MJ's hair should look. For the second movie, she died her hair, and the color was noticeably off. She also looked thinner and less healthy in the second movie, a trend she should reverse before shooting begins on the third.

I'd actually like it if Harry *didn't* become the Green Goblin -- if he saw the costume and equipment and realized that's what made his father such a lunatic toward the end. I think Raimi actually mentioned this possibility, and I'd like to see them go that direction. We've already seen Spidey vs. the Green Goblin, and, considering how gay the costume looked the first time, I really don't want to see it again.

If he does become the Green Goblin, though, I'd have no complaints.

It'd be a nice nod to the comic fans, as such a storyline would definitely be consistent with the actual source material.

If the movie wants to turn Osborn into Venom, go ahead I say. This is coming from a huge Spidey fanboy too. Right now the Scorpion is the current symbiote suit holder in the comics and I thought that was a pretty cool move. Unless they retool the crummy looking Green Goblin outfit then I say press on with giving the symbiote to Harry in place of the GG costume. It looked horrid and still does.

Eddie Brock should have been introduced in the first movie if they were going to go ahead and do Venom with Brock. Maybe have Spidey stop a Cletus Cassady in his first outing as Spidey too. But neither of those guys have been introduced and I think it would have been better to give each guy a slow burn towards joining up with the symbiote suits rather than doing a single movie devoted to introducing the Black suit/Venom/Carnage/etc. because the symbiote story is just something that can't be rushed in one 2 hour flick if you are staying true to the original material.

The Spidey cartoon did the best job possible, deviating from the original material but taking key elements from it, at introducing the Black suit with JJJ's son John crash landing his space shuttle on earth after a trip to the moon with the symbiote attacking him and his co-pilot. Eddie Brock had already been introduced in the first episode and had lost his job at the Bugle in an earlier episode so the perfect back drop was already set-up for Brock's hate of Spidey when he took the costume on. The Rhino made his debut along with the Shocker in the pre-Venom episodes and I thought both guys came out of the gates strong there.

Just ditch the retarded looking Green Goblin outfit in favor of something else. I like the current design in the comics and hope the studio will go with that outfit if they do decide to give Harry his shot at being GG.

Sandman's a big guy and THC doesn't fit the physical description. I'm thinking that Raimi is going to go ahead and insert Electro into the 3rd flick here since that was the guy (or at least someone with electricity powers) James Cameron was going to use when he was set on doing a Spidey movie 10 years ago. The rumor mill said the main villain was going to be a mix of the Kingpin, for his powerful crime connections, and Electro, for his powers, but nothing was ever set in stone.

Plus, I think Electro can keep a movie interesting for 2 + hours since he can shoot friggin electric blasts at people. That could make for some really entertaing CGI fights between Spidey and Electro.

Electro has moved himself up on the super villain food chain over the last 5 years, he deserves his big break here. Mysterio wouldn't be bad either.

A little off the track, but I'll ask it here anyway, but did anyone else have their interest in the series damaged with the handling of Spiderman and of the Spiderman-Mary Jane relationship in the second film ? You have people left and right it seems seeing Spidey without the mask, including a villian, and then Mary Jane finds out Spiderman is Peter as well. I don't know about anyone else, but I lost all interest in the series after that.

A little off the track, but I'll ask it here anyway, but did anyone else have their interest in the series damaged with the handling of Spiderman and of the Spiderman-Mary Jane relationship in the second film ? You have people left and right it seems seeing Spidey without the mask, including a villian, and then Mary Jane finds out Spiderman is Peter as well. I don't know about anyone else, but I lost all interest in the series after that.

As well as some hints that Aunt May might have figured it out.

She knows. They may as well have displayed a big neon sign proclaiming that she knows.

She knows. They may as well have displayed a big neon sign proclaiming that she knows.

Part Two mostly killed my interest in the series. If anything, Part Three needs to end with Mary Jane dying at the hands of Harry.

If it doesn't, my interest is zero.

That bit on the train unmasked was stretching the "escapism" road for me a tad too much. At least, that's the excuse I came up with...

If they are doing NINE of these, and Sam is done with this one...they will do Venom. Shit, they could have Venom be 5 and 6 with THC's villian and Harry being the villians for 3 and 4... maybe have Harry play nice through 3, and see if he can figure out what's going on, then use it to his advantage in 4. Use 3 and 4 subplots to introduce Eddie Brock and the like, and then 5 and 6 could be big Venom movies.

Then I don't know what they would do. Shit, they could save Venom/Carnage up for the final movies they do of the series.

Of course they have all the other villians, but to mainstream audiences that aren't big comic fans, Venom is the one everybody knows. Venom is the big badass to that section of the crowd. The others might want to see Mysterio, Electro, Scorpion, Chameleon, the Lizard, or a billion other guys...but there just isn't enough film to do those and make them marketable to a wide audience. It will sell because it's Spidey, but the Venom story is still going to be the big one.

Guest El Satanico

Since Venom is popular and has enough backstory and story for several films, Sony would probably prefer to do a spin-off for him. That way they'd make twice as much off the Spider-Man franchise.

It remains to be seen how Sony handles the franchise once Raimi, Maguire and Dunst leave, but their absense isn't an inescapable death blow.

Guest SpiderFan
My guess is Sandman.

Mine also. Raimi and Maguire have both said they love the character, and want to bring him to the screen, and Church looks the part, somewhat.

Hmmm...interesting choice. He's not Brock, or at least he doesn't fit the part (he's way too old). My guess is Sandman.

sandman23.jpg?

Thomas Hayden Church? I guess he kinda looks like him. Though I'd have cast Vince Vaughn and dyed him blonde instead.

If they turn Harry into Venom there just might be rioting.

Just like the "organic webshooters" and having Mary Jane as the very first girl Parker had a thing for (but still doing the bridge conundrum)?

I don't really remember those being complained about too much.

I think that comic fans are mostly sensible enough to accept changes being made that make sense and are done well.

For example, the costumes in the X movies (except for Damu's complaints), or some of the changes made for the Batman Animated Series.

Guest El Satanico
If they turn Harry into Venom there just might be rioting.

Just like the "organic webshooters" ?

I don't really remember those being complained about too much.

You don't? I definately remember alot of people bitching about that.