EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Opening Day Thread

Kansas City @ Detroit (1pm ET, ESPN2)

Josa Lima vs. Jeremy Bonderman

NY Mets @ Cincinnati (2pm ET, ESPN)

Pedro Martinez vs. Paul Wilson

Chicago Cubs @ Arizona (5pm ET, ESPN2)

Carlos Zambrano vs. Javier Vazquez

Plus your local games. I'm watching the Nationals' debut today versus the Philadelphia Phillies. Should be a great day.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'll watch the Reds opening day. They seem to have a lot of faith in Austin Kearns as he'll be batting 4th tomorrow.

I'm guessing Griffey will look good for about a month before going on the DL in May.

Guest Salacious Crumb

It's really pathetic that Jose Lima is the ace for the Royals.

Due to the Time Warner/Cablevision turmoil and ESPN local blackouts, I will be unable to watch the Mets opener in Cincinnati. This royally sucks. It's back to the 1950s as I will have to listen to the game on the radio (and I probably will have to the whole season as there is no end in sight to the Time Warner/Cablevision fiasco). I'm still psyched for the start of the season though.

The Jays game's on at 4. If they win today, they'll have a better record than they did at any time last year.

Woo.

Remember, the Devil Rays mascot is guaranteeing a win.

Just saying. It's motivation and all.

Go Jays Go!

The Jays game's on at 4.  If they win today, they'll have a better record than they did at any time last year.

Woo.

Go Jays Go!

I'm guessing the mascot didn't know that Dewon Brazelton was their opening day starter. Not that he won't be a good pitcher someday, but I don't think he's quite at Roy Halladay level yet.

I'm skipping my workout this afternoon so that I can make it home for first pitch of the Cubs game. I definitely miss my college days when I could take in a whole triple-header on Opening Day.

GO CUBS! Though I'm excited about the new season I'm not as optimistic as I was going into last year.

The Jays game's on at 4.  If they win today, they'll have a better record than they did at any time last year.

Woo.

Go Jays Go!

I'm guessing the mascot didn't know that Dewon Brazelton was their opening day starter. Not that he won't be a good pitcher someday, but I don't think he's quite at Roy Halladay level yet.

The mascot's also, well, a mascot. Most of the time, they're not accused of being Oxford Scholars.

What the hell is the O's game on?

I have three channels that show Orioles but it doesn't appear to be Comcast Sports Net so who is carrying the game?

And what time does the game start?

About last night......damn that Randy Johnson.

I remember though I was wearing my Boston hat at work and this girl in a Red Sox shirt walked by and was like "Hey Sox are going to win tonight right?"

and I just said "Well Randy Johnson is dangerous and I don't trust Daivd Wells."

Hey.....I was right.

I have a question.

Beside the fact that I KNEW Randy Johnson was an amazing pitcher, and from the fact I’ve seen his stats, I haven’t actually SEEN much of him in my lifetime. I know that’s sad, but I tend to forget the 01 WS, and the only time the Yanks faced him since was a game we beat him up pretty bad. So after watching the game, I was a bit confused. He pitched well, but wasn’t the complete OVER POWERING pitcher I expected. I think it was just because it was his first start.

My question is, is Johnson the COMPLETE DOMINATING pitcher he’s made out to be, or not?

Oh, and I'd like to hand out a personal "told ya so" to Al. Even though it was only two innings, Sturtze was NASTY again, just like all spring. Fluke my ass.

:P

Plus your local games. I'm watching the Nationals' debut today versus the Philadelphia Phillies. Should be a great day.

Heading down to the Cit right now. Haven't missed an opening day in 6 years. Something about it is just special.

I have a question.

Beside the fact that I KNEW Randy Johnson was an amazing pitcher, and from the fact I’ve seen his stats, I haven’t actually SEEN much of him in my lifetime. I know that’s sad, but I tend to forget the 01 WS, and the only time the Yanks faced him since was a game we beat him up pretty bad. So after watching the game, I was a bit confused. He pitched well, but wasn’t the complete OVER POWERING pitcher I expected. I think it was just because it was his first start.

My question is, is Johnson the COMPLETE DOMINATING pitcher he’s made out to be, or not?

Oh, and I'd like to hand out a personal "told ya so" to Al. Even though it was only two innings, Sturtze was NASTY again, just like all spring. Fluke my ass.

:P

Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't. Depends on the line-up he's facing as I've seen quite a few beat him all over the field. Then there are nights where you can't touch him.

Pressure situations? You can't touch him so just forget it.

I'm sorry but the people who were comparing the signing of David Wells to the signing of Randy Johnson, were high. I'll think Wells is a great signing when he makes a full season without having a hot dog take him down.

Guest LooneyTune

David Wells isn't in Randy Johnson's league. Wells has great control (something he didn't show last night), but other than that, he's not as dominating as Randy.

Mets put Chris Benson on the DL with a torn pec muscle

Damn. I wonder what Anna did to him to cause that.

Whatever it was, you know he will be smiling for months.

Kris Benson will constantly stay on the DL as long as he a) has a hot wife and b) has a hot wife who is constantly horny.

Hell, you can bet if he stubs his toe that he'll go on the DL for 60 days.

Guest OSIcon
What the hell is the O's game on?

I have three channels that show Orioles but it doesn't appear to be Comcast Sports Net so who is carrying the game?

And what time does the game start?

It is on WJZ (channel 13 or 45).

Starts at 3.

Jeremy Bonderman has 5ks through 2.

I'm more shocked to be hearing Steve Stone calling a Tigers-Royals game. It just feels all wrong.

David Wells isn't in Randy Johnson's league. Wells has great control (something he didn't show last night), but other than that, he's not as dominating as Randy.

Who is? Randy's a top 15 pitcher all time, maybe top 10.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Lima's been pulled. His final stats:

3 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 3 HR and 2K 15.00 ERA.

Lima's been pulled. His final stats:

3 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 3 HR and 2K 15.00 ERA.

That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Intriguing lineup the Reds are trotting out today:

D Jimenez 2B

K Griffey Jr CF

S Casey 1B

A Kearns RF

A Dunn LF

J Randa 3B

R Aurilia SS

J LaRue C

Kearns cleaning up? Casey in the three hole? Dunn stuffed back at No. 5?