TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Opening Day Thread

Another thing:

If you like baseball.. and you can stand to listen to games on the radio, then

XM Radio = your friend.

XM has the Home Plate channel 175 dedicated 24/7 to MLB news and scores (also has a 2 hour Ripken Baseball show with Cal and Billy Saturday mornings) as well as the other channels for the home team feed of all games. It kinda sucks its only the home team feed, but its still cool to be able to listen to all the games with no blackouts or crap like that. And its roughly 40% ($60 for the next 6 months...well now more like 1/2 with XMs new fee it would be $78) the cost of MLB Extra Innings ($149?) plus you get all the other XM Radio goodness (like O&A for instance..)

Guest Smues
Another thing:

XM Radio = your friend.

XM has the Home Plate channel 175 dedicated 24/7 to MLB news and scores (also has a 2 hour Ripken Baseball show with Cal and Billy Saturday mornings) as well as the other channels for the home team feed of all games. It kinda sucks its only the home team feed, but its still cool to be able to listen to all the games with no blackouts or crap like that. And its roughly 40% ($60 for the next 6 months...well now more like 1/2 with XMs new fee it would be $78) the cost of MLB Extra Innings ($149?) plus you get all the other XM Radio goodness (like O&A for instance..)

I love XM radio having all the game. Was a big reason I bought it. (That and for the Tony Kornheiser show). With the mlb.com radio pass I used to buy you got either feed and not just home, but couldn't listen to that in the car so XM won out. My only real worry is if I remember correctly there's 15 total game stations, and one is the Spanish one, so I'd be mad if a Braves game was only on there.

Oh and Rob Dibble + Kevin Kennedy on XM 175 is pretty painful. I like Bowa's morning show though.

Another thing:

XM Radio = your friend.

Agreed. It's nice having a dedicated baseball chat channel instead of having to wade through steaming piles of football talk (its fucking April).

My only real worry is if I remember correctly there's 15 total game stations, and one is the Spanish one, so I'd be mad if a Braves game was only on there.

There are 15 english stations. The Spanish station is added.

Oh and Rob Dibble + Kevin Kennedy on XM 175 is pretty painful. I like Bowa's morning show though.

Agreed on both points.

my experience with sports radio is that they only focus heavily on Baseball for the first Week in April, the 2 weeks in July around the all star game (when theres nothing else sports to talk about but baseball really unless its golf/tennis or NASCAR), and the last week or so of the regular season and in the playoffs.

Guest Smues
There are 15 english stations. The Spanish station is added.

Huzzah to that.

How much is XM total to get started?

I'm thinking of getting it since I seem to be stuck working nights.

You'll need the XM Radio and components (perhaps $100-200). For a subscription, it runs about $39 for three months.

Guest Smues
How much is XM total to get started?

I'm thinking of getting it since I seem to be stuck working nights.

Radios range from about $100-$300. $12.95 per month, can get a lower rate if you buy a year or more at a time. Oh and there's a one time activation fee, which I think is $9.95 if you activate online or $14.95 via phone.

Missed the game again.

Before I go into hibernation until friday night to avoid the media all over Rivera, PLEASE tell me how easy A-Rods grounder was, because its a lot easier to hate him.

It was easy. Hit right at him, not too hard, took a hop, he dropped it, tried to pick it up, and dropped it again. Bases were loaded, he had a force out at home or a double play to end the inning, and it looked like he couldn't decide where he wanted to go and lost his concentration.

But, it doesn't absolve Rivera completely, he loaded the bases before recording an out.

And on a related note, Bob Wickman blows a 3-0 lead to the White Sox, giving up back to back home runs to Konerko and Dye, and then loading the bases to set up a sac fly. Any bets on how long he lasts as closer?

Guest LooneyTune

Or he's too fucking afraid to throw inside because Boston will knock a ball into the parking lot.

Guest LooneyTune
Eh, maybe not. Bullpen strikes again, 6 runs in the 8th and it's 8-5 Tampa. So much for that World Series.

Tough break... Milwaukee should press the end season now button so they could finish at .500 or higher for the first time in 12 years.

White Sox are going to be in trouble this year when it comes to scoring runs. We have 2 wins (1-0 and 4-3), but today was a very unlikely comeback at home in the bottom of the ninth against Wickman. But, the comeback was the only real threat we posed the entire game offensively.

I'll definitely enjoy it while it lasts though. Very fun comeback today, making this two fun Sox games in a row.

Jason

different team, same story for Eric Milton. The guy is the luckiest pitcher in baseball in terms of getting run support. Tom Glavine looks like he's on his last legs, he's not getting the outside corner calls anymore and has to throw it over the plate and gets murdered