TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Xbox 2 to be revealed on May 12th...

I don't mind it, especially for the streaming music and video. Sounds like good stuff to me, and I'll pay the little bit extra for the hard drive and backwards compatibility. I won't be getting this system till way after launch anyways... unless they've got some real good titles lined up.

My strategy exactly, though I have to admit I haven;t been playing a lot of XBox games as of late, so I can sit back and wait a year or so until the furor dies down.

Guest Vitamin X

Or until Nintendo releases THE REVOLUTIONARY VIDEO GAME CAPSULE THAT WILL BLOW ALL OUR MINDS~~!!!11`11`1`one!!`~!

"Man, launching two different versions is such a bad idea... "

I disagree. We don't know how many games will actually use the hard drive, but it does have inherent advantages. Plus this would be a complete non-issue in PC gaming. With the cost of memory cards being so high, you'd have to be rather thick in the head not get the full shebang, though.

There's no real precedent to gauge this move on at all. You can't say 32x, PS2 Hard drive, or 64DD, because they were all released closer to the end of a system's lifespan and were given very little support.

I'd like my Xbox360 to be constantly spinning in place now, though.

And the Legend of Soltar should be pre-installed on it.

"Man, launching two different versions is such a bad idea... "

I disagree. We don't know how many games will actually use the hard drive, but it does have inherent advantages. Plus this would be a complete non-issue in PC gaming. With the cost of memory cards being so high, you'd have to be rather thick in the head not get the full shebang, though.

There's no real precedent to gauge this move on at all. You can't say 32x, PS2 Hard drive, or 64DD, because they were all released closer to the end of a system's lifespan and were given very little support.

I'd like my Xbox360 to be constantly spinning in place now, though.

And the Legend of Soltar should be pre-installed on it.

True, this sort of thing hasn't been done before at the start of a console's lifespan but in light of naming the console to appeal to the lowest common denominator (people thinking Xbox2 would be inferior to PS3), then can the lowest common denominator also be expected to understand the difference between two Xbox 360's with different features? I think it would confuse people in the market who would be unsure if they bought the Xbox 360 lite, if it meant they wouldn't be able to play certain games etc.

Still, I'm an avid gamer with all the current generation consoles (DC, GC, Xbox, PS2) and would like to see all three next generation consoles do well so hopefully it all goes smoothly for Microsoft.

That was way too long to simply say "if people are stupid enough to think Xbox 2 < PS3 automatically, then how the freakin' hell are they going to tell the two 360s apart?"

Which is a valid point, but right now we don't know how MS plans to market it, and how many games are going to be utilizing it.

Call me crazy, but I have a bit more faith in the intelligence of the average X-Box user than I do the typical PS2 gamer. I think the 360 thing is for the benefit of potential new customers.

An authentic 'leaked' image of the final design:

xbox360234_11.jpg

A new image of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 has surfaced on web forums this evening, where it is believed an industry insider leaked the image.

Sources we spoke to who have already seen the hardware themselves confirmed that this image - despite being a render rather than a photo - is indeed the official finalised design of Xbox 360.

Other scant details have also been revealed to us by our sources.

Apparently, as well as removable media for saving games, gamers will be able to save games onto their home computers via LAN networks.

Whether or not this will allow game saves to be swapped is still unclear however, as saves may be marked to users’ Gamertags.

Lastly, while the render of the finalised design is white, sources are adamant the outer shell of the Xbox 360 will be removable, allowing gamers to personalise their console with a wide range of alternate colours and designs. Specific colours aren’t yet confirmed, although the chrome model partially unveiled on viral marketing website Ourcolony.net yesterday is a genuine possibility.

Launch title rumours~!

[27/04/05 15:20]

Plus Project Gotham 3, Burnout 4 and even Halo 2.5 all rumoured for November release

A variety of sources have started to point towards what we can expect from Xbox 360's line-up of launch titles - and it's likely to include Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3.

When Xbox 360 hits shelves in November, around 15 titles are anticipated to be available on day one, of which as many as six will be racing titles, including the aforementioned Gotham 3 as well as Need for Speed Underground 3 and Test Drive.

It also seems to be a possibility that we'll see Burnout 4 and a new racer from Namco as part of the initial games line-up.

Perhaps of more interest - although, equally, less plausible sounding - is talk of a Halo 2.5 being available at launch. Recent rumours suggest that it would offer better graphics at a higher resolution as well as additional multiplayer levels.

After the initial batch of launch titles, a second wave is rumoured to be hitting Xbox 360 a couple of weeks later, followed by a third consignment another couple of weeks after that.

Xbox 360 is due to be released in November

That's too many damned racing games if you ask me.

360 needs at least a good racer, fighter, and 3D platformer at launch, but a Halo would be fine too.

I think the 360 looks stupid. More like a cheapt-looking DVD player than a video game console.

Guest Vitamin X

Holy fuck, that's..... small. I like how it looks. This caught my eye, however:

Apparently, as well as removable media for saving games, gamers will be able to save games onto their home computers via LAN networks.

Now THAT'S a great idea! Won't need a hard drive, just hook it up to the one your computer already has. The option without a hard drive looks a lot more attractive now.

I'd be all for Project Gotham Racing 3, Perfect Dark Zero, and Halo 2.5. I liked the first NFS:U, but the second one licks donkey balls. I don't find myself nearly as addicted to it. They actually made it a pain in the ass to customize your car and get to the races in the second one, which is retarded.