TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs

Guest news_gimmick

Well, that was pretty damn decisive. Boston sure went down with class, as a Bruiser mentioned. Stephen Jackson was brutal early on, and Fred Jones took care of business as well in the second half. Now on to Dallas and Houston!

So there was a Jurassic Five concert an hour away that I was going to go to, but when the Celts pushed it to game seven I pushed back my concert to watch the game with the boys. What a fucking letdown.

There's one moment that stuck out as a turning point for me... it was like 43-41 early in the third, the Fleet had a "LET'S GO CEL - TICS!" chant started up, it looked like the Celts were going to get some momentum... and Pierce missed a three. Okay, nothing unusual. Celts get back on defence, crowd's chanting "DE - FENCE!"... and Jackson hits a three. That was pretty representative of the whole game, really.

I'm sure these guys will improve -- Jefferson and Banks should be stars someday -- but jesus, what a mediocre effort from the veterans. Have you ever seen a vet point guard play a smaller series than Gary Payton? Christ.

I just want to thank the Basketball Gods for leading the Pacers to victory.

A Boston/Detroit series would have been sheer boredom

Now the first question that needs to be answered is how many bomb threats will there be by the start of game one.?

Congratulations to Reggie Miller whose Pacers stomped the Boston University Terriers on their own court tonight.

From a 76ers fans, see ya next year Boston, when we can once against compete for the worst division in the league's title.

I had an idea when watching Pacers game.

Could the Indiana Pacers hire Ron Artest and his rap group he produces or whatever to perform during Game 3 in Indiana against Detroit? I think it would be a big morale boost for the team and would give the NBA an edge.

If Artest is going to be a bumbling, fighting lunkhead, at least further exploit him for television ratings and increase interest, I say.

I had an idea when watching Pacers game.

Could the Indiana Pacers hire Ron Artest and his rap group he produces or whatever to perform during Game 3 in Indiana against Detroit? I think it would be a big morale boost for the team and would give the NBA an edge.

If Artest is going to be a bumbling, fighting lunkhead, at least further exploit him for television ratings and increase interest, I say.

I was thinking that. You know if they'd unsuspend Artest starting this series, ratings would be ridiculous.

Guest Flyboy

Houston playing some horrid ball... if they don't get it right in the 2nd half, it's over.

These games tonight illustrate exactly why the 1st round has no business being 7 games. There is NOTHING that we couldn't have had in 5 tonight. Houston finally laying down at Dallas isn't a totally huge shock given the whole Van Gundy mess with the league, but man what happened to Boston tonight? I figured the Pacers would win that series, but Boston flat out tanking a game 7 at home?

And by the way, Detroit isn't sweeping shit. Hell, they couldn't sweep the fucking Bucks last year and couldn't sweep the Sixers this year. I can't see them sweeping a team that wants to kill them in brutal ways.

NBA Eastern Conference: If it can't be good, it may as well be violent.

my second round predictions

Pistons over Pacers in 5

Heat over Wizards in 6

Spurs over Sonics in 7

Mavericks over Suns in 6

Guest Shadow

Round 2 predictions

Detroit Vs Indiana

Detroit 4-2

Game 3 is Reggie's last great game. He puts up 32 pts and hits a game winning jump shot with 1.6 to go). Game 2 will have a mini scruffle that causes the Announcers to scream "TAKE COVER!"...it ends respectfully as ESPN pouts. Game Six, Detroit emphatically finishes out Indiana in a big way. Reggie Miller hits a meaningless Three pointer at the closing seconds to close out his career. Ron Artest is spotted in the crowd near the Pacers bench during the Pacers home games and they do a split screen of the game and artest, for the whole game. The Brawl is replayed over 456,003 times. From all angles. in slow motion.

Miami Vs Washington

Miami 4-1.

Shaq dominates game 1 and 2, aggravates his injury in game 3, causing him to miss the second half in which Washington takes advantage and takes it into OT to nab their lone victory. Shaq plays a limited game 4 but his presence is felt. Game 5, Miami with their new gameplan "Score a lot and get a big lead so shaq can rest" pays off as they finish the Wizards off.

San Antonio Vs Seatle

San Antonio 4-2.

Seattle gets an upset win to open the series. Duncan has a career night in game two. Game 3 is a brillant double overtime thriller with Ray Allen hitting the dagger shot in the closing seconds of regulation and the second overtime to secure the win. Parker goes berzerk in game 4. Duncan's injury flares up but due to Allen's cold game, Seattle fails to capitalize. Game Six sees Seattle shoot to a big commanding lead only for a collaspe in the 4th quarter and leads to SA to narrowly defeat the spurs and advance in the playoffs.

Dallas Vs Phoenix

Phoenix 4-3

A very explosive scoring series excites the fans. Game 2, 4 and 7 go beyond regulation. The Suns put up a 2-0 lead, narrowly loses game 3 and in a thriller of game four take a commanding 3-1 lead but watch it unravel to a game seven where Steve Nash makes his name known in the playoff lore.

Well it's nice to see that, even though there's no hockey, the Celtics are carrying on the tradition of the home teams embarassing themselves at the Fleet Center during big playoff games. This had to be the most immature Celtics team I've ever seen in the playoffs. The refs are making bad calls Pierce and Walker? Suck it up and make some goddamn shots.

I seriously don't want to see Paul Pierce in Celtic green anymore. Trade his ass, PLEASE!

And I predicted them getting blasted at home anyway, since they'd get *crushed* against Detroit in four straight double figure losses.

Guest Vitamin X

Okay, second round predictions.

Suns over Mavs in 5. I don't even see how you guys think this'll be close. The Mavs will try to play to the Suns' ability on offense in a shootout and lose, and then they'll try to play defense, which they're certainly not good at, and lose. I figure they can maybe take one of their wins away.

Spurs over Sonics in 6. And that's only because of playoff experience, but I could very easily see it being the other way around, same amount of games. It also strongly depends on how well Parker plays, as well as how Ray Allen going up against Bowen who's had his number all season. Spurs also have to hope Duncan doesn't aggrvate an injury again, as Rashard Lewis can take it to them inside. Toughest call to make in the second round besides...

Indiana over Detroit in 7. Upset special~! The Pistons got an easy matchup against the Sixers, and something tells me that Brown can get easily outcoached by Carlisle. If Indiana pushes them to the limit, which they will knowing how this rivalry is, I trust them more than any other team still in the playoffs to pull off a clutch win.

Heat over Wizards in 6. The players leftover from last year's Heat will remember exactly how the Wizards will feel after this series, as I expect it to be very similar to Miami-Indiana last year. The Wizards will probably surprise them a bit, but their lack of frontcourt presence to match up against Shaq will force them to become a completely outside team, thus meaning they'll probably end up shooting 30% or something, thus continuing the bandwagonism I have to deal with here as the Heat will move on to the Eastern Conference Finals. If the Wiz and Bulls hadn't taken it to 7 games, I would have given the Wizards more of a chance seeing as how they have 3 big scorers that Miami can't defend (Udonis Haslem has to be getting tired of having to cover his and Shaq's man all the time eventually!), but being afraid to take it inside and pass the ball will kill them here. I'll be rooting for them though, so I can watch everyone tear off their Shaq jerseys and become Magic fans again.

Maybe it's just blind fandom, but I've been thinking, and I really believe that the Mavs are going to come back from that 2-0 deficit. They've got the experience, they've got the talent, and they're not going down to some shitty two man team from Houston.

I just wanted to make a public announcement here so that I can throw out an I told you so in a couple weeks when they finish off the Rockets. They're getting the job done, I can feel it.

Just thought I'd bring this up here. Everyone was ready to leave the Mavericks for dead when they were down 2-0, but deep down, I just knew they were coming back. The Mavericks are a solid goddamn basketball team, and if they play the way they played tonight, they'll beat Phoenix too.

I'm usually not that cocky of a guy, but when you make a big public statement that something will happen that's only happened once before in history, it's just fun to say "I told you so".

Well, let's see how I did.

Sixers have no shot. Got it.

Celtics suck. Got it.

Heat in 5. Nope.

Wizards in 6. Got it.

Yao Ming is soft and not a playoff center and Rockets will lose series (after being up 2-0). Got it.

Nash finishes 2nd in MVP to Shaq. Nope (apparently). Bullshit, tho.

I done good.

Guest Vitamin X
Maybe it's just blind fandom, but I've been thinking, and I really believe that the Mavs are going to come back from that 2-0 deficit. They've got the experience, they've got the talent, and they're not going down to some shitty two man team from Houston.

I just wanted to make a public announcement here so that I can throw out an I told you so in a couple weeks when they finish off the Rockets. They're getting the job done, I can feel it.

Just thought I'd bring this up here. Everyone was ready to leave the Mavericks for dead when they were down 2-0, but deep down, I just knew they were coming back. The Mavericks are a solid goddamn basketball team, and if they play the way they played tonight, they'll beat Phoenix too.

I'm usually not that cocky of a guy, but when you make a big public statement that something will happen that's only happened once before in history, it's just fun to say "I told you so".

It's actually happened 8 other times, I'm not sure if that includes the Wizards being down to the Bulls 0-2 as well. May have been more, actually. What you're thinking is when a team is down 0-3 in a series. The only team that's ever happened in any sport with a 7-game series has been very well-documented by now (which is, for those who don't know, if you exist, the `03 Red Sox comeback over the Yankees, which catapulted their momentum through their World Series victory.

This is only the third time it's happened after dropping their first two on their homecourt.

I'm pumped about the Pacers winning game 7, I really think they can give Detroit at least a decent shake, if not go over in 7 games. They lack the Artest to go much further than this round, but damn I'd like to see it. I'd also like to see the Suns win the entire thing in a shocker, just cause.

Predictions:

San Antonio beats Seattle 4-1. Iv'e be doubting the Sonics since day one so I wont stop now.

Phoenix beats Dallas 4-3. Dallas pulls the upset in game 1 but Phoenix proves to be too much in the end.

Miami beats Washington 4-2. I think the Wiz match up well enough to steal 2 games.

Detroit beats Indiana 4-3. The Pacers will take em to the edge but it wont be enough.

Boy that Tracy McGrady, he was real "hungry" to get out of that first round like everyone was insisting, wasn't he? i'm kinda glad. LIke his cousin Vince Carter, Tracy's another guy who admitted he didnt play as hard as he could have in his old team, probably to get traded. What is it with that family and slackers? Compare that to someone like AI who just plays his heart out no matter how shit his team is. I have little sympahy and i'm glad both of them went out in round 1.

Here are my predics earlier in the thread, did pretty good in the West, not so much in the East:

1- Phoenix vs -8- Memphis

Phoenix in 4

---Yay i was right1

-4- Dallas vs -5- Houston

Dallas in 7

---Ding ding ding

-3- Seattle vs -6- Sacramento

Seattle in 6

---I don't even remember if Seattle won in 5 or 6, that's how uninspiring this series was

-2- San Antonio vs -7- Denver

Spurs in 5

---*Homer voice* woohoo!

1. Heat vs 8. NJ Nets

-Miami in 5

---Wow, Wince couldnt even steal one game.

4. Bulls vs. Wizards

-Bulls in 7

---Aww I was so close. Kinda.

2. Pistons vs. 7. Philly

-Detroit in 5

---nice

3. Celtics vs 6. Pacers

-Boston in 6

---Crapola, another wrong East series.

Dude you're like one of the cockiest guys on the board.

Guest Mosaicv2
Celtics suck. Got it.

They do... but your precious Sixers really suck too without Iverson... got it?