TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Better in the 90's...WWF or WCW?

From 1990-1999, in a head to head matchup between WWF and WCW, who would you give the nod to in each year for having a better product? And then adding up your totals, who had a better decade, product wise?

1990 - WCW

1991 - WWE

1992 - WCW

1993 - WWE

1994 - WWE

1995 - WCW

1996 - WCW

1997 - WWE by wide margin

1998 - WWE

1999 - WCW

WWE 5, WCW 5. I give the edge to WWE for 1997 being so much better.

Guest LooneyTune

1999 WCW was better than WWE? You have got to be shitting me. WWE wasn't that good either, but come on... Other than that, I agree with Jordans list, although WCW 1997 was still beating the pants off of WWE in the ratings.

1999 WCW was better than WWE? You have got to be shitting me. WWE wasn't that good either, but come on... Other than that, I agree with Jordans list, although WCW 1997 was still beating the pants off of WWE in the ratings.

Thing is, WCW had great matches to compensate for the lack of compelling storylines. The WWE had horrible angles AND bad workrate. Plus it was the year of the HHH and Billy Gunn pushes which were :throwup:

Guest OSIcon
I give the edge to WWE for 1997 being so much better.

It might be biases coming out, but I don't think WWF 1997 was *that* much better than WCW 1997 or even better at all. On a per week basis, WCW was churning a MUCH higher quantity of quality of matches. The year-long main event story of Sting vs. Hogan was done very well and milked out just long enough, even if the the ending of the feud stunk. I don't think there is much question that the WWF was better creatively that year (though WCW wasn't pure trash), but WCW clearly had an edge when it came to match quality and overall success.

The one year to me that is clearly a landslide in favor of either promotion is 1992 in favor of WCW. The first half of the year with the Dagerous Alliance was one of the best booked feuds in wrestling. It was simple in that it was a giant heel stable facing a group of 5-8 faces week in and week out. Yet, they managed to get 6 months of VERY quality matches out of the feud, both sides had a ton of heat, and it built so well. I can't remember much at all of what really sticks out in 1992 WWF save for the Rumble (which is generally overrated. It was very good....I'm a Flair and Rumble fan....but not what some make it out to be), Flair vs. Savage at WM, and Bret's first title win. Even after the DA ended in the summer, WCW still had a pretty good late summer/early fall. In my eyes, that's the one real blow out of the 90's.

Only thing I'd probably cahnge from MikeJordan's selections would be 1999 and maybe 1991. While parts of WCW 1999 were really strong (specifically around Spring Stampede....that PPV and the tag division was on fire around that period), but creatively it was pretty bad and the match quality had diminished greatly by the end of the year. WWF didn't have anything in the way of quality matches that year, but they were at least on fire in terms of the overall product. The reason I would possibly change 1991 is that I can remember some good stuff in WCW, but nothing from WWF 1991 sticks out to me.

I give the edge to WWE for 1997 being so much better.

It might be biases coming out, but I don't think WWF 1997 was *that* much better than WCW 1997 or even better at all. On a per week basis, WCW was churning a MUCH higher quantity of quality of matches. The year-long main event story of Sting vs. Hogan was done very well and milked out just long enough, even if the the ending of the feud stunk. I don't think there is much question that the WWF was better creatively that year (though WCW wasn't pure trash), but WCW clearly had an edge when it came to match quality and overall success.

The one year to me that is clearly a landslide in favor of either promotion is 1992 in favor of WCW. The first half of the year with the Dagerous Alliance was one of the best booked feuds in wrestling. It was simple in that it was a giant heel stable facing a group of 5-8 faces week in and week out. Yet, they managed to get 6 months of VERY quality matches out of the feud, both sides had a ton of heat, and it built so well. I can't remember much at all of what really sticks out in 1992 WWF save for the Rumble (which is generally overrated. It was very good....I'm a Flair and Rumble fan....but not what some make it out to be), Flair vs. Savage at WM, and Bret's first title win. Even after the DA ended in the summer, WCW still had a pretty good late summer/early fall. In my eyes, that's the one real blow out of the 90's.

Only thing I'd probably cahnge from MikeJordan's selections would be 1999 and maybe 1991. While parts of WCW 1999 were really strong (specifically around Spring Stampede....that PPV and the tag division was on fire around that period), but creatively it was pretty bad and the match quality had diminished greatly by the end of the year. WWF didn't have anything in the way of quality matches that year, but they were at least on fire in terms of the overall product. The reason I would possibly change 1991 is that I can remember some good stuff in WCW, but nothing from WWF 1991 sticks out to me.

Fair enough. I love WWE better so much in 1997 cause the Hart Foundation vs. Austin was probably my favorite angle ever in the history of the business. Everyweek there was something memorable. Supplied plenty of classic Raws.

And I thought WWE 1992 was comparable to WCW in 1992. The Dangerous Alliance gives WCW the edge. Ric Rude in 1992 - 1993 > Everyone.

Guest LooneyTune

1991 is a pretty tight year. From January-May 1991, WCW was pretty awesome, then... you know what happend. WWF wasn't great during 1991, but was kept on a consistantly good level throughout with some good angles (Jake Roberts ruled the last half of 1991) and some good matches (mainly thanks to the usual cast, like Hennig, Hart, Flair, the Dragon, Dibiase, etc. etc.).

Guest Salacious Crumb

WCW wins 1997 for the fact that there was a classic match on every show from roughly late August to early November.

Guest LooneyTune

WCW 1997: Awesome Cruiserweight matches, arguably the hottest angle of all time (WCW vs. nWo), and Sting/Hogan blowoff (I'm obviously ignoring the match itself).

WWF 1997: the Gang Warz, Midgets, and the only really good thing, the Hart Foundation angle.

WCW 1997: Awesome Cruiserweight matches, arguably the hottest angle of all time (WCW vs. nWo), and Sting/Hogan blowoff (I'm obviously ignoring the match itself).

WWF 1997: the Gang Warz, Midgets, and the only really good thing, the Hart Foundation angle.

The Austin vs. Foundation was so much more entertaining then the WCW in 1997, it's not even reasonable to compare, IMO. RAW was consistently better almost ever week, for nearly 6 months.

WWE also had better PPVs

I think we have all befallen to the vinc emcmahon curse that is he has conditioned everyone to think wcw sucked so therefore we all agree.

really though, ket me do my own list (excluding 90 since I didnt start watching till the survivor series)

91: WWF (if only cuz I saw more of it but wcw is real close)

92: WCW

93:WCW (if only due to the sting-vader feud)

94: WWF

95: WWF

96 WCW

97: Tie for me

98: WWF (more entertaining, though wcw probably had better matches)

99: WCW (great matches to compensate for some cheezy storylines)