TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

2 top 100 Video Game Lists

Sounds fun, I'd do it if I'm wanted, heh.

^_^ We need spots filled, so your in.

Since were gonna do this:

CronoT

AndrewTS

Anayaka

Lightning Flik

wildpegasus

Renegade

Special K

Jer

JebusNassedar

Askewniverse

Budapĭst

Each will submit a list of their top 30 games along with a paragraph describing the game. We'll use my idea on how to make the finalized list (unless someone objects), and viola.

We'll probably also have a discussion about said placements, cause you know, that's why its called a "panel".

Sounds goods?

Edited by Lightning Flik

It's hard to catagorize the best games ever because people have different tastes. I have not played many RPG's and I tend to like Nintendo games.

Top 5 games should be:

5. Super Mario RPG

4. FF VII

3. Super Mario Brothers

2. LoZ: Link to the Past

1. Tetris

Notable mentions, not neccesarly top ten:

Halo 2 (sold alot of copies)

Mortal Kombat II

Gran Turismo

Katamari Damashi

Donkey Kong Country

Guest JebusNassedar
Sounds fun, I'd do it if I'm wanted, heh.

^_^ We need spots filled, so your in.

Since were gonna do this:

CronoT

AndrewTS

Anayaka

Lightning Flik

wildpegasus

Renegade

Special K

Jer

Each will submit a list of their top 30 games along with a paragraph describing the game. We'll use my idea on how to make the finalized list (unless someone objects), and viola.

We'll probably also have a discussion about said placements, cause you know, that's why its called a "panel".

Sounds goods?

That sounds good to me. I'll do it unless you have problems with it. As I stated a page ago.

Sounds goods?

Okay. How much time, and do we PM it to you or are you going to start a thread for it?

There's a few games I'll need to rent to see if they'd place for me.

Guest wildpegasus
Another question about that list - does anybody there play "extreme sports" games such as the SSX series and Tony Hawk series

Not in my case. I am morally obliged not to ever even look at any Tony Hawk skateboarding games. Same deal with the "Fast and teh Furious" Movies, Limp Biscuit Cds and the Triple XXX movies.

You should really give the Tony Hawk games a chance. You don't have to be a skateboarding fan to enjoy the games. Besides, how can you judge a certain genre without actually playing them? For example, I don't like RPGs, but I've tried several of them (including the renowned FF VII) just in case.

BTW, Lots of RPGs are better than Final Fantasy VII.

I really, really don't like skateboarding. It always had such an element of fake coolness to me which always turned me off of it. Plus it's no fun and it looks stupid.

So you see, I can't even give the game a chance. Skateboarding is still skateboarding even if it's skateboarding while you're eating ice cream. I just hate skateboarding that much.

Ok, we're still in need of three more judges/panelists (as I had said 11 and there's only 8). I'm unsure about the timeline we get for doing this, but I'd like to hear people's opinions on them.

I'd rather have those lists handed in via PM, so that we can get a more "surprised reaction" from the 10 panelist other than me. Besides, the discussion would be from an AIM chat (as I'd like to actually post this on TSM).

Sounds good. I could definitely get it done in a week or so.

Edit: Is this American release console only, or are computer, arcade and import games fair game too?

Sounds good. I could definitely get it done in a week or so.

Edit: Is this American release console only, or are computer, arcade and import games fair game too?

Oh yeah--I asked about imports, and PC/console is good question too.

Flik, lay the ground rules.

Guest JebusNassedar
Ok, we're still in need of three more judges/panelists (as I had said 11 and there's only 8). I'm unsure about the timeline we get for doing this, but I'd like to hear people's opinions on them.

:huh:

I voulenteer. I've been playing games since age 4, and I'm pretty sure my taste in games is reasonable.

Unless the panel is chosen by clandestine means or something and no one really can voulenteer.

That sounds good to me. I'll do it unless you have problems with it. As I stated a page ago.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I could swear that's me asking twice to be a part of this. Am I banned from it for not frequenting this section or something?

This will be fun. Andrew is going to hate my list.

I think arcade games should be allowed.

What about compilations?

I think IGN's snorting crack, and that first list is even worse.

System Shock 2 is stuck at #70, and it's easily better than most of the FPS games put out since. Not many games can combine RPG and FPS elements, but it did..and did it damned well.

No sign of either Fallout on there, on either list? Those are two of the best RPG games to come from a developer..American or otherwise.. Both allowed for incredible ammounts of freedom in character creation and interacting with the world..yet didn't feel dry and empty like, say..Morrowind. Not to mention a pretty good story, and combat system..

Another thing I find strange is the fact Baldur's Gate is on there, but the sequel isn't..and 2 kicked the crap out of the first.

Guest Askewniverse

Flik, need another sports guy to balance out the list?

BTW, Lots of RPGs are better than Final Fantasy VII.

Probably, but FF VII seems to be the game that RPG fanatics mention the most. Like I said earlier, I've tried several RPGs, but I just couldn't get into them at all. The only RPGs that I remotely enjoyed were Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

I really, really don't like skateboarding. It always had such an element of fake coolness to me which always turned me off of it. Plus it's no fun and it looks stupid.

So you see, I can't even give the game a chance. Skateboarding is still skateboarding even if it's skateboarding while you're eating ice cream. I just hate skateboarding that much.

I don't really get your line of thinking (I don't see how anyone can make an informed opinion about a game without actually trying it first), but to each his/her own. I'm not a huge skateboarding fan either, but I loved the TH series. From the sound of it though, your dislike of skateboarding is akin to your love of Astroboy, so I guess there's no way to convince you to give the games a chance.

Sounds good.  I could definitely get it done in a week or so.

I think we'll just stick with the Stateside stuff, because there's only a few of us who've played the imports.

Sounds good.  I could definitely get it done in a week or so.

Oh yeah--I asked about imports, and PC/console is good question too.

Flik, lay the ground rules.

All games for all systems. Arcade included. However, if the game is multi-system or released on one system and then another, it will go by the original game (or in the case of multi-system, the "base" game - meaning the one with least perks).

:huh:

I voulenteer. I've been playing games since age 4, and I'm pretty sure my taste in games is reasonable.

Unless the panel is chosen by clandestine means or something and no one really can voulenteer.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I could swear that's me asking twice to be a part of this. Am I banned from it for not frequenting this section or something?

Sonuvabitch. How did I miss those? >_< Gomen sai. You've been added to the list.

What about compilations?

Compilations will not be counted as they can be touched up versions and therefore, are not true to form games.

I think IGN's snorting crack, and that first list is even worse.

If you'd like, I've still got some panel space left if you wish to join. Sounds like you've got quite the knowledge.

Flik, need another sports guy to balance out the list?

Another sports guy would be welcomed. You've been added to the listing.

Guest CronoT

I've got 30-26 done. I'm going to take a break, and then get back to it. When you've got a sprained ankle and you're confined to your apartment, you get bored, real quick.

If a game is multiplatform we should just choose one version to represent. Why go with the one that came out first, why not the one that's best? If features were added they should count.

I've got like 23 down. I'm trying to decide which post-SF II capcom fighter to go with. I was going to just say SF Anniversary Collection and call it a day with SF but compilations are out. All the old games like Alpha 2 are outdated now and the new Versus games are not worthy of being best game ever. I still feel like one should be represented.

Guest Askewniverse

If it means anything, I support Piss. The guy knows his shit.

Flik, do you want all of the list to be in order, or would it be okay to only have the top 5 ranked in order?

Um, I also asked, but whatever.

:angry: God dammit, I'm missing so many of these posts. Your in, if you still want to be, my bad.

I've got 30-26 done. I'm going to take a break, and then get back to it. When you've got a sprained ankle and you're confined to your apartment, you get bored, real quick.

I've got like 23 down. I'm trying to decide which post-SF II capcom fighter to go with. I was going to just say SF Anniversary Collection and call it a day with SF but compilations are out. All the old games like Alpha 2 are outdated now and the new Versus games are not worthy of being best game ever. I still feel like one should be represented.

:o Geezus Christmas you two are nuts. I mean, you've got a freaking while until we lay down a finalized date for the end time (which I'm leaving up the discresion of the panel).

Shit, I haven't even started~! ...then again, I am answering replies here, as well as waiting for Episodes 13, 14, and 15 to download of Mahou Sensei Negima to finish.

If a game is multiplatform we should just choose one version to represent. Why go with the one that came out first, why not the one that's best? If features were added they should count.

Features added to a game released later don't get to count. The original game is the way it should be rated, as that's how it was intended. Unless due to a bad disc or something technical in the reason its being doubly released, then no. Original or bust. Because if we do the "not original", compilations would be included since compilations also do this.

If it means anything, I support Piss. The guy knows his shit.

Flik, do you want all of the list to be in order, or would it be okay to only have the top 5 ranked in order?

I didn't know alright. He's in if he wants to be, I honestly didn't see him ask (and I missed people).

Yes they will need to be ALL ranked. Because I need to do the list thing that I suggest nearly a page or so ago.

Guest CronoT

Well, when you've got a sprained ankle and can't leave the apt., you tend to go a little stir-crazy. I've already beat Resi Evil 4 twice, from start to finish, on Pro mode. I'm thinking of slapping in Star Ocean 3 and going through that one again.

I don't get why updates or later versions wouldn't count. The goal is to decide the best game ever, sometimes games get updated and improve greatly. Why not include them?

And what about upgrades like SF II Champion Edition or Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3? It's not a totally new game, but it does have a new title and different home versions. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is often considered one of the best 2D fighters ever made. It'd be pretty lame to not be able to include it.

And what about remakes? Resident Evil for GC has the same title as the PSX version but is vastly different. What about Twin Snakes? It has a new title but is more of a port of MGS.

There's just so many questions and problems with that rule. A lot of worthy games could be overlooked.

The difference with compilations is that they're many games in one package. It makes sense to not include them.

I don't get why updates or later versions wouldn't count. The goal is to decide the best game ever, sometimes games get updated and improve greatly. Why not include them?

And what about upgrades like SF II Champion Edition or Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3? It's not a totally new game, but it does have a new title and different home versions. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is often considered one of the best 2D fighters ever made. It'd be pretty lame to not be able to include it.

And what about remakes? Resident Evil for GC has the same title as the PSX version but is vastly different. What about Twin Snakes? It has a new title but is more of a port of MGS.

There's just so many questions and problems with that rule. A lot of worthy games could be overlooked.

The difference with compilations is that they're many games in one package. It makes sense to not include them.

Urgh... Fuck, I knew this would bite me in the ass.

Panel can decide if we do this or not... I'm against since I don't think having a remake of a game is right, since it wasn't the original game and is more used as a cash cow.

And of course the remakes aren't going to be the same, its why they make them as remakes. Its to polish it and add things you didn't think about before, or in ways to get rid of plotholes in a series of games.

I really have to agree with her here. Differences between games like Link's Awakening and the Dx version aren't really big enough to make much difference. However, Lunar came up recently, and though the playstation games were remakes, the games change enough until they become seperate entities.

Guest CronoT

Resident Evil on the PSX/Saturn are almost completely different from the GC version of the game. So, ultimately, they are considered different games. The Resi Evil games, such as 2 and 3, that are on the PSX, the DC, and the GC, are all essentially the same game. Therefore, they don't count as seperate games.

Guest CronoT

Sundays and Mondays are good for me. Those are my usual days off.

I think remakes should probably be allowed if they really substantively change the gameplay, and don't just add extra modes or something. SF3 Third Strike needs to be allowed; it's a much different and much better game than the original SF3, and is one of the best fighters ever. Otoh, something like MGS2 Substance that just adds some silly extras probably shouldn't be. It's hard to know exactly where the line should be, though.

I'll be at a T5 tourney this Saturday so I can't do it then, any other day is fine.

Guest Askewniverse

Mondays are usually good for me too, especially during Raw.

Maybe Flik or someone else can make a master list of the panel's AIM names, so we can talk to each other, bounce ideas, etc. before the deadline?

Regarding the updates/versions issue, I agree with the majority, to an extent. If it's the same game across multiple platforms with minor differences (ex: Soul Calibur 2, GTA III and Vice City, Viewtiful Joe) then it shouldn't matter. However, if a game is different enough (RE for GC, MGS: Twin Snakes, various versions of Street Fighter games), then I think we should count it.