TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Guest Mosaicv2
Wow, I'm not one to rag on spelling errors or anything much, but I have to mention it's amazing someone spelt episode incorrectly six times in such a small post.

Shit! that's how I always spelled out Epidose (sp?). So sorry.

I don't read or watch any follow up matrial to star wars besides the main movies and Clone wars cartoon, so can someone explain the stuff about Mace Windu being a part sith/dark Jedi?

Guest CronoT
I don't read or watch any follow up matrial to star wars besides the main movies and Clone wars cartoon, so can someone explain the stuff about Mace Windu being a part sith/dark Jedi?

Vaguely, yes. Technically, under the Old Republic, there were three kinds of Jedi: Consulars, Sentinels, and Guardians.

Consulars tend to be more focused on the Force, and interacting with it. They concentrate less on physical aspects of it, and more on the meta-physical aspects of it. Consulars use green lightasbers

Guardians are far more focused on the physical aspects of the Force, inculding lightsaber dueling and fighting. They put less emphasis on meta-physical aspects of the Force, and are generally regarded as the Police Man of the Jedi. Guardians use blue lightsabers

Sentinels are basically a blending of the previous two types. They're not stodgy, old museum employees, and they're not phyical brutes, either. Sentinels use yellow lightsabers.

So, some good examples:

Qui-Gonn Jin: Consular

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Guardian

Anakin Skywalker: Guardian

Yoda: Consular

Plo Koon: Sentinel (Thanks for Kapoutman for the help.)

Guest CronoT
After a google search, the only Jedi master with a yellow blade I could find was Plo Koon.

plokoon9.jpg

Thanks.

yes, but I am pretty sure that we see Plo Koon in the Battle of Geonosis and I am 99% sure he does not have a yellow lightsaber.

In fact, I don't think there has been a yellow lightsaber in any of the movies. We've seen lots of blue, a few green, Mace's purple and the Sith's red (pink, whatever) but no yellow.

yes, but I am pretty sure that we see Plo Koon in the Battle of Geonosis and I am 99% sure he does not have a yellow lightsaber.

In fact, I don't think there has been a yellow lightsaber in any of the movies. We've seen lots of blue, a few green, Mace's purple and the Sith's red (pink, whatever) but no yellow.

PloKoonWallpaper.jpg

I also found this image. I don't know if it is from ROTS, but you were right on one point. In AOTC, Plo Koon's saber is blue.

This might sound silly but the original Star Wars is hurt by it being carried by droids for seemingly the first 30 mins.

This is the part of ANH I like most. Whole film coulda been like this if the studio and people around him had let Lucas do it.

Guest CronoT
This might sound silly but the original Star Wars is hurt by it being carried by droids for seemingly the first 30 mins.

This is the part of ANH I like most. Whole film coulda been like this if the studio and people around him had let Lucas do it.

Then why did the cartoon "Star Wars: Droids" fail miserably? :P

From Boxofficemojo.com:

After starting the day with $16,912,367 from midnight shows alone, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith closed Thursday with $50,013,859 from an estimated 9,400 screens at 3,661 theaters. That's the biggest day ever for a single movie in history.

Shrek 2 previously held the single day record with $44.8 million on its fourth day of release, a Saturday last May, while Spider-Man 2 had the opening day record at $40.4 million, posted on June 30 of last year.

Fucking insane. Any more educated guesses as to what the weekend gross it's gonna be?

Well, I'm off to the cinema in a couple of hours. Hell Yeah!!!

Guest Flyboy
yeah sure, if you like ham...

Or if I just like emotion in my scenes, but whatever.

Guest StylesMark

I have a pirated copy, decent quality. I only watched the first house though. I'm off to the theatre for an 11:00 showing tonight.

Guest Vitamin X
--- Bad:

5. Episode IV: A New Hope

But you've said you haven't seen it in a while though, right?

Nope, I put that right after I watched IV and V together yesterday. To be honest, III makes watching IV a lot more enjoyable, and there's things that are done in IV that almost feel like they were done with the prequel in mind. Most notable of which seems like a small thing, but I loved the detail. Right as soon as Luke, Leia, Chewie, Han, and the droids get to the main hanger where the Millennium Falcon is, Luke turns to Obi-Wan who's in the middle of fighting Vader, and Luke screams "Obi-Wan!" and Obi-Wan looks at Luke, then looks at Vader and gets this knowing grin on his face which I thought looked like a nice touch.

I mean, I understand Episode IV wasn't supposed to be an episode at all since it was just Lucas' one-time shot at the big-time, and I realize it's importance among the 6 as being the most important and groundbreaking for its time. But I found myself getting sleepy during that movie and it was only 9pm (I usually stay up till around 4am-6am for reference) and it wasn't until we watched Empire that I woke up again. ANH is a neat, campy, little indie cult classic type flick, but if it weren't for the breakthrough technologies in it, in my opinion it doesn't make much of a movie at all. It was all special effects, which, with time, fade and expose it for its story, acting, and directing.

And by the way, don't take Crono's description of what he said too seriously. That's basically just lifted from the Knights of the Old Republic video game. While it's in the EU and technically counts, there's no real reason for anyone to have the color lightsaber they have in the movies, other than Lucas saying "good guys use blue, bad guys use red, and that's just the way it is." This is far more prevalent in the OT than in the PT.

Actually Vitamin X I feel the same way but with the first Batman movie. It seemed cool at the time, but have people actually watched it since then for entertainment? I'll watch/listen to the audio if it's on TV, but I could never just sit down and watch it as a film. It's just very boring.

I am off to see it at 8:00 in the Director's Hall at the Delux 16. And since the movie is basically in all the theaters there they aren't charging the extra to sit on the leather seats, haha.

Does anyone else find it...odd that Shrek 2 held the single day record till now? I mean was there really that much hype surrounding that film? I actually did go see it that opening weekend but it was just sorta something to do, rather than a 44 million dollar mega psychotic event.

It's one of those cases where someone or something you wouldn't expect at all holds a huge record. I was blown away when I heard E.T. was the #1 film when I was eight.

Saw it at the Uptown today. Felt like a total geek afterwards and was extremely ashamed / disappointed with myself.

Anyway, definitely the best of the three prequels. Better even than Return of the Jedi, but not bette than A New Hope or Empire. Does NOT make up for the first two being so mediocre / bad, and in fact, only highlights their lesser worth because those two films should have been as good as this one, had Lucas tried hard enough.

Good "final" effort. Up until they put out a TV show, which will probably be cheesy, and not in the good way, cause I doubt they'll have the budget for all the pretty special effects to make up for its faults.

I still say the Extended Universe stuff, for the most part, is much better. I think I'll go read the X-Wing books again.

Hmm...a thought.

Now that Lucus is done with the Star Wars movies...any chance any other Lucusarts stuff will be made to movies?

I have, and always will, KILL to have a Monkey Island movie for some reason.

It's one of those cases where someone or something you wouldn't expect at all holds a huge record. I was blown away when I heard E.T. was the #1 film when I was eight.

ET was huge back when I was younger. That and Indiana Jones, although Jones didn't have as wide of an appeal as ET had.

I saw this movie last night and I have to say I absolutely LOVED it. I went into it, after watching Eps 1 and 2 and not expecting too much, but came out very pleased. The thing I liked most was that for the first time in ths Star Wars movies, I felt emotion for the characters. Order 66 made me totally feel saddened for the jedis and throughout the whole movie, even though I knew Anikin was turning evil, I kept on cheering for him not too. Even in the last fight he had with Obi-Wan and Anikin was left there for dead, I was thinking "No Obi-Wan, finish the job or you'll have hell to pay!"

I also watched the Clone Wars cartoon today. They REALLY should have put that stuff in the real movies. Without watching it, some of the stuff in Episode 3 didn't really make sense to me. They should have cut out all the crap in Eps 1 and 2 to fit the stuff that happened in the cartoon into those movies. Stuff like what Palpatine gets kidnapped, how C2PO gets his gold plating, Anikin being knighted, General Grievous killing jedis and Count Douku training him should have been included in.

Hmm...a thought.

Now that Lucus is done with the Star Wars movies...any chance any other Lucusarts stuff will be made to movies?

I have, and always will, KILL to have a Monkey Island movie for some reason.

i've wanted a Monkey Island movie for the last 10 years, it's such a great and funny story. POTC just made me want it more.

The thing I liked most was that for the first time in ths Star Wars movies, I felt emotion for the characters. Order 66 made me totally feel saddened for the jedis and throughout the whole movie, even though I knew Anikin was turning evil, I kept on cheering for him not too. Even in the last fight he had with Obi-Wan and Anikin was left there for dead, I was thinking "No Obi-Wan, finish the job or you'll have hell to pay!"

Agreed.