TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zyn081

What is TNA doing right?

Just some points Ive built up today:

I think its good to see PPV cards booked as early as possible in full, unlike the WWE announcing matches on Heat before the PPV or people just walk out.

I like their opening videos on their website.

Their old school style.

Tito Ortiz being involved could be awesome. The same effect Tyson had on Austin-HBK to a lesser more relative degree. I have always wanted to see Ortiz in the ring.

The prestige of the title. When Jarrett drops it, it will be major. I like the way he keeps referring to the King of the Mountain.

The names of their 1st 4 PPVs. Awesome titles (I still think that they should have 6 every other month pay per views for better build)

The locker room atmosphere.

Some of the workers they have and their ethic, ableit not utilised properly.

Innovative, ableit overused, matches.

The prestige of the title. When Jarrett drops it, it will be major. I like the way he keeps referring to the King of the Mountain.

WRONG. The prestige will fall greatly when Jarrett drops the belt. He's the bigest thing they've got.

(I still think that they should have 6 every other month pay per views for better build)

I agree with that 100%

I'll post here for MikeSC so he doesn't have to......

Things I like about TNA.....

It will be dead in mere months.

thats it.

-=Mike

WRONG. The prestige will fall greatly when Jarrett drops the belt. He's the bigest thing they've got.

Where as I say he's killing the title. The only difference between JJ and HHH is that JJ isn't believable in the badass role, and he doesn't get that big of a pop. He just cuts the same promo time after time after time.

I loved TNA when they focused the shows on the X Division. I understand that the heavyweights SHOULD be the featured product, but they should go with what the people want.

Guest Heppyhack

There's lots that TNA are doing right at the moment.

Grabbing Tito Ortiz is a bloody good start - if nothing else, demographically he could be very useful to long term TV deals etc if they can get him to stick around.

The presentation of iMPACT! - the whole time limit thing, the on screen scrolling graphics - even the style of commentary. It makes the show stand out straight away as something different.

The set design. It's subtly changed after each PPV, yet is still familiar enough as to not be alienating. It's also simple enough that the look isn't dating too quickly (compared to Raw and SD which look dreadful now)

Tenay and West. The best commentary duo about at the moment.

Innovation. Ok, they've now burned out the cage match gimmick for about a year, and while it was a bit of a car crash of a TV show (and the post-PPV circumstances will leave a sour taste for years to come) Lockdown looked and felt like nothing else about.

Video presentation is superlative - as good if not better than WWE, and on a far tighter budget so arguably more commendable.

Promos. Jarrett aside, the quality of promo in TNA is better than its WWE counterpart. They don't sound scripted or as forced as some of the WWE ones.

Again, with the exception of Jarrett (and even then, he's a reasonable heel, just overused and too visible on the show) they use the heel/face delineation properly.

Important finishers for midcard and above are well protected. They've made a running shoulderblock look like the most devastating move ever, that alone deserves credit.

Hot crowds - okay, it may be free to get in, but the TNA crowds are rabid. They're the nearest to an ECW audience we're getting these days.

I find Don West to be insane. I would rather have Tony doing the color.

They've done a good job recently pushing their own talent. In recent months, Chris Daniels has gotten his biggest push to date at TNA and I'd say he's made the most of his run with the belt. They're pushing the Naturals again, which they never should have stopped. And AJ is once again up for his yearly push. The show seems to be more about TNA guys than guys who made their names elsewhere (and yes, I'd consider Jarrett a TNA guy).

They've all done a good job making each of their PPVs seem like huge deals, though they've overdone some gimmicks (UX, Cage) sort of how they killed the ladder match in the early shows.

I like that they've allowed a secondary X Division feud to develop with Shane and Sabin, because before, they'd be the title feud and the rest of the division would just kind of wait their turn, patiently having multi-man spotfests.

And the Raven/Hardy feud has brought the best out in both of them. I think this is the best use of Hardy they've made since he joined TNA. He has a place on the shows because he's marketable and clearly has a fanbase, but last year showed us that he was no main eventer. Even though I think they could make him a killer heel if they played up his artistic nature and made him a flaky "I don't care about wrestling, but I'm naturally good" kinda character.

Guest Desperate Housewife

What are they doing right? Bleeding Panda Dry, thats all. Everything else sucks.

- I think they're ppvs are great.

Much better than the weekly ones they ran.

- Daniels is not only getting a push but pretty much singlehandedly puts over the rest of the X division on commentary and interviews.

- Mike Tenay rules.

Just some points Ive built up today:

I think its good to see PPV cards booked as early as possible in full, unlike the WWE announcing matches on Heat before the PPV or people just walk out.

Yeah, but they tend to announce matches than book the angle. The problem is that they and WWE do too many PPV. Most guys won't have a reasdy made angle coming off every PPV, so if they had two months to book feuds things would make more sense.

Thing(s) TNA does right:

The X Division beign heavily featured on Impact.

Other than the X Division they have nothing going for them.

They hired and pushed DDP, and he seemed to be mega over last time I saw him wrestle(which was a few months back). Man's been out of wrestling a couple of years after being treating like sheer garbage by WWE and they gave him a push. Actually, that's one of their best assests, they're not afraid to push someone and for the most part treat their "refugees" well. I still would love to see them sign LA Park to a long term deal and bring in more luchadores in general, but oh well.

(I still think that they should have 6 every other month pay per views for better build)

I agree with that 100%

I'll post here for MikeSC so he doesn't have to......

Things I like about TNA.....

It will be dead in mere months.

thats it.

-=Mike

I didnt get what you mean about Jarrett.

LOL re MikeSC and Nuf said to Desperate.

Other things there are doing right:

(1) iMPACT presentation is cool. Feels more like Sports, ableit in a US type of way.

(2) Tenay

(3) Tony doing backstage

(4) Agree regarding finishers

(5) They show that they can handle talent properly, that what makes the company so frustrating

(6) X-Div of course

I didnt get what you mean about Jarrett.

Maybe i misread what you said too. i don't know

I just think that the longer Jarrett's title reign the more prestige is added to that belt. But then again I'm a Jarrett mark.

Just cause he holds the belt forever doesn't add any prestige to the title. I haven't seen him in many great matches since he's had the title. Samoa Joe holding the ROH title as long as he did added prestige, but Nash holding the WWF title for a year damaged the company severly.

Just cause he holds the belt forever doesn't add any prestige to the title. I haven't seen him in many great matches since he's had the title. Samoa Joe holding the ROH title as long as he did added prestige, but Nash holding the WWF title for a year damaged the company severly.

I agree, I think Jarret should defend it more. It pretty much too late for that.

Thats why Styles should put Jarrett over cleanly. This makes Jarrett look strong going into a match against Monty Brown. Monty beats him cleanly. Then they have a rematch, Monty escapes through some botched interference.

Then AJ vs Jeff for the #1 contender and Jeff can put him over cleanly, setting up AJ vs Monty. Then Jarrett can stay away from the title for awhile. Maybe he can put Daniels over. I love Jarrett, but he doesn't need to become 4 or 5x NWA champ by 2006.

I agree, I think Jarret should defend it more. It pretty much too late for that.

Thats why Styles should put Jarrett over cleanly. This makes Jarrett look strong going into a match against Monty Brown. Monty beats him cleanly. Then they have a rematch, Monty escapes through some botched interference.

Then AJ vs Jeff for the #1 contender and Jeff can put him over cleanly, setting up AJ vs Monty. Then Jarrett can stay away from the title for awhile. Maybe he can put Daniels over. I love Jarrett, but he doesn't need to become 4 or 5x NWA champ by 2006.

Your idea would make me even more apathetic to TNA than I already am now.

They got rid of Dusty Rhode's truck

Signed Shocker

Brought back the Playa from the Himlaya, Sonjay Dutt

Put AJ Styles in the Main Event

Konnan's shoe gimmick

Where as I say AJ should go over cleanly.

They already screwed up Monty by turning him heel. He could have stayed face, been screwed out of title shots, and still been built up well...now who cares?

Where as I say AJ should go over cleanly.

They already screwed up Monty by turning him heel. He could have stayed face, been screwed out of title shots, and still been built up well...now who cares?

If AJ goes over cleanly, that wastes Jarrett's title reign. Since there isn't much build up for this Styles match wouldn't it seem anticlimatic.

If they chose to go with Monty, that would be an angle that has been brewing for months.

I agree that Monty could have been built up just as good without turning him heel. But I think people will be quick to accept a face monty again. I think Monty turning on Jarrett and winning the title is the big pay off here.

I agree with you on everything here except Jarrett going over AJ clean - I do like the plan of action though that you are saying with Styles-Brown, long term. It (having Jarrett over Styles clean) might possibly ruin Styles ever competing for the world title again, and basically its just not smart when he is the Sting of TNA, in that he is the franchise and long term he is the guy to build around even without the title all the time.

With that said, have Styles come very close to beating Jarrett but it ends up the typical Jarrett screwjob finish. While this whole thing with Jarrett as champ has gone so long that the amount of time he's had the title seems to hurt the world title scene more than help it (While I agree its good to have champs with a long run, its not good if that person with the title is not drawing a dime - ie difference between Samoa Joe v. Jarrett) I have to say that they need to have one more big Jarrett win as champ where he can then really hit the peak of proclaiming he's never going to lose the belt, is the King of the Mountain, etc, etc, and then at the Anniversary ppv he finally loses it, hopefully to Brown. By that token, he would have been champ for officially over a year by the time all is said and done. But as I have said, if TNA has no plans to resign Brown, they might as well give Styles the belt now as he's the only other viable choice other than Brown.

But yeah - have Jarrett beat Styles by screwjob on the ppv, lead to Brown-Jarrett at the next ppv (OR a King of the Mountain match which Brown wins) and then after, give Brown a nice run (first opponent - Rhyno) and lead to a Jarrett-Styles feud in the summer over the number one contendership (which Styles would win over Jarrett convincingly) leading to what is supposedly their plan for their own WrestleMania type ppv in Sept - which would be Styles/Brown for the world title. That could be a money match if they worked from now until then on it.

I didnt even comment on whats TNA is doing right.....

I think Impact since the last ppv has been pretty good overall week by week. The last two weeks have had ppv calibur type main event that went 15-20 minutes. Thats good.

Having Ortiz in could be real good if done right. If he actually wrestles, that could gain some mainstream appeal or at least crossover from the MMA world.

Alot of other stuff has been discussed already that I'd agree with.

On second thought, RedJed. Jarrett over Styles clean might be too much.

I think they could have Jarrett screw Styles. And then have Tenay play up the fact nobody will beat Jarrett as long as he keeps getting help. I mean REALLY play up the fact Jarrett will continue to screw people. In the meantime Brown becomes #1 contender. Turns on Jarrett. Jarrett and his flunkies(whoever is heel) beat Monty weekly.

Dusty Rhodes says he tired of Jarrett always screwing people and that EVERYONE is banned from ringside or they get fired. Monty declines the stip...saying he's got a problem with all of em not just Jarrett. Dusty says whatever. Have Tenay play up that Monty didn't make a good decision declining the stip. Now there is no way brown can overcome Jarrett and the Heels by himself.

Monty survives all the Run-ins and destroys everyone. Jarret goes for the guitar shot. Monty kicks him. Jarrett tucks the guitar under his right arm so Monty can't get it. Monty Irish whips Jarrett. Hits the pounce on Jarrett through the guitar he is holding. Guitar explodes. Jarrett's dead. Monty wins.

I like the idea of Rhino too.