TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Xbox 360 design officially revealed...

I think it looks just fine. How a system looks isn't going to determine if I want it or not, and it's far from ugly. It looks a lot better than the squarish PS2, but I kind of miss it being a black and green bulletproof monster. I wonder how big and heavy it'll actually be.

I agree that what it looks like really doesn't matter compared to playablity, but I have a Sony, so I'm not going to switch to Xbox anyways.

For me its Sony > whatever other console, because that is how its been for years now.

Guest Vitamin X

If I didn't know the next-gen consoles were right around the corner and all of them were backwards compatible, I probably would have myself another PS2 and a Gamecube by now. As a result, I have my Xbox, am happy with the games released for it, and will just wait.

Well, it looks like like Xbox 360 will be backward compatible.................to a limited degree.

Xbox 360 officially will be backward compatible with the prior system's top-selling games, said Microsoft's Vice President Peter Moore. Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/614/614498p1.html

Guest Vitamin X

Take this for what you will, guys.

Link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/615/615667p1.html?fromint=1

E3 2005: 360 Running at One-Third Power

So we've been seeing the Xbox 120?

by David Clayman

May 17, 2005 - In between furiously posting the latest game information, we had the time to shoot the breeze with a PR representative from a third-party company. The conversation drifted toward the framerate issues that we've seen while previewing a few Xbox 360 titles. There is no doubt that the level of detail in the trailers is up to next-gen standards, but almost anything in-engine has chugged a bit at one point or another.

When asked about this issue our source replied that the current playable 360 games would all have framerate issues due to the fact that they are running on alpha test units. A rough estimate placed these machines at about one-third as powerful as the 360. We went head-to-head in Top Spin 2 and noticed that there were visible jaggies and a few frame drops. This is because the Alpha units do not run anti-aliasing and simply don't have the power to run a high-res game at full quality. The developers had tuned Top Spin 2 to run at a smooth 60 frames per second but this was simply not possible on the Alpha hardware. Official sources place the final development kit dates for July and the results promise to look much better.

It is not surprising that many games in early stages would suffer from the types of issues we've seen so far. Since the alpha units are underpowered, it is surprising that Microsoft hadn't touted this fact earlier. Knowing that the final products will most definitely run smoother certainly got us more excited about the 360 line-up.

PR TO THE RESCUE~!

That's probably pretty true. I remember that Halo was only running on a half power dev kit, and that was one of the best looking games they had at launch.

That, and I don't buy Sony's storm of bullshit about the whole "twice the speed of the Xbox 360", bit. How many people believed them about how powerful the PS2 would be, and it turned out worse than the Dreamcast?