TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

All-Star Voting has started

Okay it's time for my weekly All-Star picks. For the starters these are not who I think should start but who I think will be voted starters and fan voting is pretty easy to predict. The only real tough one was N.L. shortstop so I went with the most recognizable name in Vizquel. Immediately people will laugh when they see Griffey's name but I remind you he was voted a starter last year and the other two top voting N.L. outfielders were Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa. Griffey is a lock to be voted a starter.

Also the last two years with the player voting the rosters have been set at 20 position players and 12 pitchers, with at least four of them being relievers so that's how I'm putting them together. These aren't predictions this is just based on how these players have played so far this season.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: IVAN RODRIGUEZ, Detroit; Jason Varitek, Boston; Joe Mauer, Minnesota

1B: TINO MARTINEZ, New York; Mike Sweeney, Kansas City

2B: ALFONSO SORIANO, Texas; Brian Roberts, Baltimore

3B: ALEX RODRIGUEZ, New York; Brandon Inge, Detroit

SS: DEREK JETER, New York; Miguel Tejada, Baltimore

OF: ICHIRO SUZUKI, Seattle; VLADIMIR GUERRERO, Anaheim; MANNY RAMRIEZ, Boston; Johnny Damon, Boston; Gary Sheffield, New York; Carl Crawford, Tampa Bay

DH: DAVID ORTIZ, Boston; Shea Hillenbrand, Toronto; David Dellucci, Texas

SP: KENNY ROGERS, Texas; Jon Garland, Chicago; Roy Halladay, Toronto; Johan Santana, Minnesota; Erik Bedard, Baltimore; Jeremy Bonderman, Detroit; Rich Harden, Oakland; Kevin Millwood, Cleveland

RP: Dustin Hermanson, Chicago; B.J. Ryan, Baltimore; Francisco Rodriguez, Anaheim; Joe Nathan, Minnesota

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: MIKE PIAZZA, New York; Ramon Hernandez, San Diego

1B: ALBERT PUJOLS, St. Louis; Derrek Lee, Chicago; Lyle Overbay, Milwaukee; Todd Helton, Colorado

2B: JEFF KENT, Los Angeles; Craig Biggio, Houston

3B: SCOTT ROLEN, St. Louis; Chipper Jones, Atlanta; Troy Glaus, Arizona

SS: OMAR VIZQUEL, San Francisco; Clint Barmes, Colorado

OF: KEN GRIFFEY JR, Cincinnati; JIM EDMONDS, St. Louis; CARLOS BELTRAN, New York; Bobby Abreu, Philadelphia; Adam Dunn, Cincinnati; Miguel Cabrera, Florida; Milton Bradley, Los Angeles

SP: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Dontrelle Willis, Florida; Brett Myers, Philadelphia; Mike Hampton, Atlanta; Mark Redman, Pittsburgh; Jake Peavy, San Diego; A.J. Burnett, Florida; Josh Beckett, Florida

RP: Billy Wagner, Philadelphia; Chad Cordero, Washington; Yhency Brazoban, Los Angeles; Brandon Lyon, Arizona

You forgot about Javy Lopez. With the season Pudge has been having, I would consider him a strong favorite to get the starting spot in the AL. He's got better numbers than anyone else in the American League, and he's at least as recognizable a name as Mauer or Varitek.

And while Soriano certainly could start at 2B and probably will, if Roberts keeps up the season he's been having, and doesn't get the spot, then the all-star voting really is a sham.

Now that I think of it Garciaparra probably will be voted the starter, because most fans are idiots. In that case Barmes might actually get to start as his replacement but it's still early. Cardinals fans vote in big numbers so don't be surprised if David Eckstein could win it as well.

The All-Star Game is in Detroit this year so Tiger fans will vote in big numbers. I see absolutely no way Rodriguez doesn't get voted the starter. Lopez didn't come within a million votes of I-Rod last year.

Alfonso Soriano was the leading vote getter for the A.L. despite having an off year last season. He bested the field at second base by 1.5 million votes. Roberts has no shot.

Don't be surprised if Reyes, Wright and Floyd ride the wave of Carlos Beltran and Mike Piazza getting in the lineup

Maybe not in the lineup, but very strong showings at their positions

Don't be surprised if Kazuo breaks into the top 5 at 2B either

Steve

and that Kaz Matsui probably has a better than even chance at the NL 2B.

Now you're just talking out of your ass when there's Jeff Kent in the NL. I don't like Jeff Kent but he's millions of lightyears better than Matsui (and the Japanese fans aren't that stupid)

Now you're just talking out of your ass when there's Jeff Kent in the NL. I don't like Jeff Kent but he's millions of lightyears better than Matsui (and the Japanese fans aren't that stupid)

Jeff Kent will easily win, seeing that he won by well over a million votes last year. Still, Matsui finished third last year when he was a shortstop, behind only Adam Everett and Edgar Renteria. While the Japanese effect will not help Kazuo as much as Hideki or Ichiro, it does exist.

N.L. Shortstop will be very interesting. Renteria switched leagues, Everett was a hometown pick, Matsui changed positions, and Barry Larkin (4th in balloting) retired. That leaves Jack Wilson (currently hitting under the Mendoza line), Rafael Furcal, Alex Gonzalez (now playing on the Devil Rays), and Jimmy Rollins. Clint Barmes has an excellent chance of stepping into the void.

For the record, here are my starters. Flame away...

N.L.

C- Paul Lo Duca, Fla

1B- Albert Pujols, StL

2B- Jeff Kent, LAD

SS- Rafael Furcal, Atl

3B- Scott Rolen, StL

OF- Barry Bonds, SFG

OF- Adam Dunn, Cin

OF- Bobby Abreu, Phi

The Bonds pick is going to raise eyebrows, so let me explain. I base my picks on who is the BEST player currently. I don't see the selections as a reward for half a season of good performance. I view it as a person trying to select the best team possible. If Bonds is healthy (unlikely), he plays. If not, then you take the next player.

I took Furcal over Barmes because Furcal has a track record. Barmes is having a nice season, but he has 145 at bats, and six walks. That is not an all-star. That is a hot streak. The rest are fairly self-explanatory I think. Rolen, same deal as Bonds. I can not exclude a player after nearly a decade of performance based on an injury.

A.L.

C- Ivan Rodriguez, Det

1B- Mark Teixeira, Tex

2B- Brian Roberts, Balt

SS- Miguel Tejada, Balt

3B- Alex Rodriguez, NYY

OF- Manny Ramirez, Bos

OF- Ichiro Suzuki, Sea

OF- Vladimir Guerrero, LAA

DH- David Ortiz, Bos

I was actually tempted to say what the heck and vote Tino, but Tino did not demonstrate this kind of power for years, while Teixeira has been a feared switch-hitting machine. For those wondering about Roberts, Roberts was nearly the best second baseman in the league last year (only Bellhorn was clearly better). Everything else is self-explanatory.

Jeff Kent will easily win, seeing that he won by well over a million votes last year. Still, Matsui finished third last year when he was a shortstop, behind only Adam Everett and Edgar Renteria. While the Japanese effect will not help Kazuo as much as Hideki or Ichiro, it does exist.

N.L. Shortstop will be very interesting. Renteria switched leagues, Everett was a hometown pick, Matsui changed positions, and Barry Larkin (4th in balloting) retired. That leaves Jack Wilson (currently hitting under the Mendoza line), Rafael Furcal, Alex Gonzalez (now playing on the Devil Rays), and Jimmy Rollins. Clint Barmes has an excellent chance of stepping into the void.

For the record, here are my starters. Flame away...

N.L.

C- Paul Lo Duca, Fla

1B- Albert Pujols, StL

2B- Jeff Kent, LAD

SS- Rafael Furcal, Atl

3B- Scott Rolen, StL

OF- Barry Bonds, SFG

OF- Adam Dunn, Cin

OF- Bobby Abreu, Phi

The Bonds pick is going to raise eyebrows, so let me explain. I base my picks on who is the BEST player currently. I don't see the selections as a reward for half a season of good performance. I view it as a person trying to select the best team possible. If Bonds is healthy (unlikely), he plays. If not, then you take the next player.

I took Furcal over Barmes because Furcal has a track record. Barmes is having a nice season, but he has 145 at bats, and six walks. That is not an all-star. That is a hot streak. The rest are fairly self-explanatory I think. Rolen, same deal as Bonds. I can not exclude a player after nearly a decade of performance based on an injury.

A.L.

C- Ivan Rodriguez, Det

1B- Mark Teixeira, Tex

2B- Brian Roberts, Balt

SS- Miguel Tejada, Balt

3B- Alex Rodriguez, NYY

OF- Manny Ramirez, Bos

OF- Ichiro Suzuki, Sea

OF- Vladimir Guerrero, LAA

DH- David Ortiz, Bos

I was actually tempted to say what the heck and vote Tino, but Tino did not demonstrate this kind of power for years, while Teixeira has been a feared switch-hitting machine. For those wondering about Roberts, Roberts was nearly the best second baseman in the league last year (only Bellhorn was clearly better). Everything else is self-explanatory.

But this isn't the "Best of the last 5 years" All star game, last time I checked, it was the 2005 All Star Game. Tino's been dynamite in 2005.

Heres mine..

NL

C - Paul Lo Duca, Florida

1B- Derrek Lee, Chicago

2B - Jeff Kent, Los Angeles

SS - Cesar Izturis, Los Angeles

3B - Troy Glaus, Arizona

OF - Milton Bradley, Los Angeles

OF - Miguel Cabrera, Florida

OF - Bobby Abreau, Philadelphia

DH - Albert Pujols, St. Louis

AL

C - Joe Mauer, Minnesota

1B - Mark Teixiera, Texas

2B - Brian Roberts, Baltimore

SS - Miguel Tejada, Baltimore

3B - Alex Rodriguez, New York

OF - Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle

OF - Manny Ramirez, Boston

OF - Vladimir Guerrero, Los Angeles

DH - David Ortiz, Boston

But this isn't the "Best of the last 5 years" All star game, last time I checked, it was the 2005 All Star Game. Tino's been dynamite in 2005.

Give me a General Manager who makes personnel decisions based on 100-200 at bats, and I'll show you a 100 loss team. I am not choosing my starters based on who had good years two or three years ago. I am choosing based on who are the BEST players currently. Tino has four more home runs than Teixeira. Teixeira hit 15 more home runs than Tino last year. Do those four home runs really make Tino a better hitter than Teixeira? It is unlikely thatt Martinez will outhomer Teixeira by July, let alone the entire season. I do not make selections based on miniscule sample sizes, and I apologize if I am not sold on Martinez just yet.

Bonds shouldn't be on the ballot. The all-star game should be for who is doing good this year.

The ballot is drawn up before the season, based on projected starters. That's why you see elite players like Koyie Hill and Alex Sanchez. Bonds on the ballot can't be helped, and for all anyone knew when drawing up the ballot, Bonds could have been back by May.

While I think that past performance should be taken into account when selecting an all-star team, I don't think that a player should be selected if they haven't played the majority of the first half regardless of who they are.

The exception to this rule for me is the Mike Schmidt clause that says if a player has clearly indicated that they will retire at the end of the year, or has retired during the current year and is of HOF caliber, said player should be elected to the All-Star game.

I already voted like 3 weeks ago or whenever voting started. Since the allstar game is nothing more than a popularity contest now, I voted for all the Yankees at every position, which is weird considering that now Womack is in LF and Matsui is primarily in CF.

The thing is that being an All-Star is a personal accolade for a player. Does Bonds really deserve to be a 2005 All-Star, despite not playing in 2005?

I can see the best player argument to an extent. For instance, if Bonds came back, played 20 games, and homered in seven of them, then sure, you could say that he's back at his previous level and deserves to be an all-star. But would a good manager really rather have a rusty 41 year old Barry Bonds who hasn't done anything in 8 months hit over Miguel Cabrera in a must win game? I think not.

Until and unless Barry Bonds comes back and proves that he's still capable of performing at a top level, he doesn't deserve to be an all-star. It's as simple as that.

And for the record, here are my picks. They're kind of hard to read, but copying and pasting is way easier than typing.

AMERICAN LEAGUE NATIONAL LEAGUE

First Base: T. Martinez, NYY First Base: A. Pujols, STL

Second Base: B. Roberts, BAL Second Base: J. Kent, LAD

Third Base: A. Rodriguez, NYY Third Base: C. Jones, ATL

Shortstop: M. Tejada, BAL Shortstop: C. Barmes, COL

Catcher: J. Lopez, BAL Catcher: R. Hernandez, SD

Outfielder: V. Guerrero, LAA Outfielder: B. Abreu, PHI

Outfielder: M. Ramirez, BOS Outfielder: M. Cabrera, FLA

Outfielder: G. Sheffield, NYY Outfielder: A. Dunn, CIN

Guest OSIcon

Early totals are out. Here's the link for the MLB.com article on the AL: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article..._id=mlb#results

The NL figures might be on the site somewhere but I am at work and can't really check right now.

If the game was today, these would be your AL starters:

C - Jason Varitek (Red Sox)

1B - Tino Martinez (Yankees)

2B - Brian Roberts (Orioles)

3B - Alex Rodriguez (Yankees)

SS - Miguel Tejada (Orioles)

OF - Manny Ramirez (Red Sox)

OF - Vladamir Guerrero (Angels)

OF - Ichiro Suzuki (Mariners)

DH - David Ortiz (Red Sox)

Very AL East heavy with seven out of the nine leaders coming from AL East teams. Overall, I can't complain too much. Nobody completely underserving on there even if it isn't exactly how I voted. A lot can and probably will change though especially as fans begin to see where their players stand and then attempt to make a push for them. The biggest surprise to me was Roberts. He definitely deserves it but I figured not enough people knew him to push him over someone like Soriano. He does lead Soriano by a measly 60,000 votes and I'd be surprised if they don't end up flopping positions.

Here's the N.L.

1B: Albert Pujols (300k+ lead over Derrek Lee)

2B: Jeff Kent (100k+ lead over Craig Biggio)

3B: Scott Rolen (100k+lead over Chipper Jones)

SS: Nomar Garicaparra (20k+ lead over Eckstein & Furcal)

C: Mike Piazza (150K+ lead over Paul Lo Duca)

OF: Carlos Beltran, Jim Edmonds, Ken Griffey Jr. (Larry Walker & Miguel Cabrera 30k+ behind Griffey)

I imagine Nomar will lose his lead eventually, at least you'd hope. Doesn't see to be much drama in any other rest except maybe the final outfield spo.t

Who the hell is voting for Jason Giambi or Frank Thomas? One guy has played like 3 innings, and the other guy is just horrible.

I just hate how so many fans have to vote for the guy on their team, even if they don't belong in the game.

Guest Dumb Monkey

How the holy fuck is Nomar "Mr. DL" Garciaparra leading for NL Shortstops? It was bad enough in the American League when Boston fans gave him verbal blowjobs when he was on the DL, but now Chicago?

Also, where's the love for Teixeira in the American League? Tino had a great 2 weeks in May, but that's it. His HR and RBI total is above average for a 1st basemen, but his batting average is way down at around .245.

How the holy fuck is Nomar "Mr. DL" Garciaparra leading for NL Shortstops? It was bad enough in the American League when Boston fans gave him verbal blowjobs when he was on the DL, but now Chicago?

Probably Boston fans voting for him facetiously, and people that are barely fans of MLB voting for one of the few names they recognize.

Again the results prove that letting the fans vote for the game is a bad idea. 

Why? Because some early results have some injured stars in front, before the cream has a chance to rise to the top? If Nomar is elected to the team, I will be absolutely shocked. Otherwise, there are a few questionable choices, but you are going to get those no matter who votes.

The problem isn't the voting group. It is the process. No leading player has less votes than Garciaparra. Most fans are not voting for Nomar Garciaparra. Just counting the top 5 of NL First Basemen, at least 1.2 Million ballots have been cast. I figure the total number counted is somewhere around 1.75 Million. Think about that. That means that just 15% of the voters picked Nomar. 15%! Do you really want to take away fan voting because 15% of the voters picked Nomar? That's silly, particularly since most All-Star voters do not have access to current statistics when making their selections in the ballpark.

The problem is that the vote is an unrestrained plurality, and when the process lacks a clear candidate, the vote becomes divided and a player with little to offer besides a name has an advantage.

New All-Star picks with current vote leaders as starters, the exception being N.L. shortstop with Nomar Garciaparra obviously not being available if he were voted starter. Also appoint a starting DH for the N.L., Derrek Lee being the obvious choice right now. This was much tougher this time around. Remember the All-Star rosters are 20 players, 12 pitchers, at least 4 being relievers.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: JASON VARITEK, Boston; Joe Mauer, Minnesota

1B: TINO MARTINEZ, New York; Mark Teixeira, Texas; Mike Sweeney, Kansas City

2B: BRIAN ROBERTS, Baltimore; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

3B: ALEX RODRIGUEZ, New York; Brandon Inge, Detroit

SS: MIGUEL TEJADA, Baltimore; Derek Jeter, New York; Julio Lugo Tampa Bay

OF: MANNY RAMRIEZ, Boston; VLADIMIR GUERRERO, Anaheim; ICHIRO SUZUKI, Seattle; Gary Sheffield, New York; Johnny Damon, Boston; Trot Nixon, Boston

DH: DAVID ORTIZ, Boston; Raul Iabnez, Seattle

SP: ROY HALLADAY, Toronto; Kenny Rogers, Texas; Mark Buehrle, Chicago; Jon Garland, Chicago; Erik Bedard, Baltimore; Bartolo Colon, Anaheim; Matt Clement, Boston; Kevin Millwood, Cleveland

RP: Dustin Hermanson, Chicago; B.J. Ryan, Baltimore; Joe Nathan, Minnesota; Huston Street, Oakland

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: MIKE PIAZZA, New York; Ramon Hernandez, San Diego

1B: ALBERT PUJOLS, St. Louis; Nick Johnson, Washington; Carlos Delgado, Florida

2B: JEFF KENT, Los Angeles; Craig Counsell, Arizona

3B: SCOTT ROLEN, St. Louis; David Wright, New York; Edgardo Alfonzo, San Francisco

SS: CLINT BARMES, Colorado; Cesar Izturis, Los Angeles

OF: CARLOS BELTRAN, New York; JIM EDMONDS, St. Louis; KEN GRIFFEY JR, Cincinnati; Bobby Abreu, Philadelphia; Brian Giles, San Diego; Jason Bay, Pittsburgh; Miguel Cabrera, Florida

DH: DERREK LEE, Chicago

SP: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Dontrelle Willis, Florida; Brett Myers, Philadelphia; Pedro Martinez, New York; Mike Hampton, Atlanta; Jake Peavy, San Diego; Josh Beckett, Florida; Roy Oswalt, Houston

RP: Chad Cordero, Washington; Billy Wagner, Philadelphia; Derrick Turnbow, Milwaukee; Brad Lidge, Houston

Maybe if Joe MASH would actually play more than one game before getting re-injured he'd make the team has a catcher. Right know I'd give the advantage to Jorge Posada.

Johan Santana will make it. Based partly off being passed over last season.