TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rrrsh

Best Smackdown 6 Match

Guest Rrrsh

I was watching a comp tape I have at home which pretty much is Smackdown 6 exclusive back in 02. It been 2 and half year since that happened, so we got some perspective here. When the Smackdown 6 is mentioned, the 2 matches that usually come to mind are Benoit/Angle Unforgiven and Benoit/Angle v. Edge/Rey from No Mercy. But there was TONS of good shit in there. Of the "other matches" during that period, pick one that was your favorite and say why. Lost to choose from :

Angle v. Rey - Summerslam

Edge v. Eddie - Summerslam

Edge v. Eddie - Unforgiven

Benoit v. Eddie - Armagetton

Edge v. Eddie (No DQ) - Smackdown

Angle v. Rey v. Benoit - Smackdown

Benoit/Angle v. Edge/Rey (2/3 Falls) - Smackdown

Edge v. Angle v. Benoit v. Eddie - Smackdown

I've always loved the SmackDown 6 era, and one match I never get sick of re-watching is that fatal four way between Edge, Angle, Eddie, and Benoit. It was a great way to end the era, not counting Angle/Benoit from RR '03 mind you.

The 2/3 falls match is one that people don't talk about enough, as is Eddie/Edge from Unforgiven, which is far superior to both the Summerslam match and the no-DQ match because its Eddie at his best. The tag at Survivor Series is sloppy (especially on Rey's part), and the crowd pretty much dies after Angle and Benoit are eliminated. The triple threat before SurSer is short, but pretty solid.

I did a review of a SD6 comp I got back in '03 if anyone wants to take a look:

Part 1

Part 2

Guest Rrrsh
Is Chavo counted as the 6th man?

Yes, purely becuase he teamed with Eddie.

He was easily the 6th and really shouldn't be counted.

Guest jm29195

These two were equally awesome in my books, has anyone seen Angle/Benoit vs Los Guerreros from Rebellion 02? That's a really good tag match with tons of heat!

If by "the 6th" you're going by ringwork, you'd have to put Edge in that spot. He's only as good as Benoit and Angle make him.

Guest Rrrsh
If by "the 6th" you're going by ringwork, you'd have to put Edge in that spot. He's only as good as Benoit and Angle make him.

Edge has a great matches in diffrent year in diffrent roles with Benoit, along with Angle, Eddie, HBK and Jericho (Only when Edge is a face)

Chavo is very boring and gets by on his last name,

These two were equally awesome in my books, has anyone seen Angle/Benoit vs Los Guerreros from Rebellion 02? That's a really good tag match with tons of heat!

Yes, very good, show stealing match. Not that stealing the show was a great task, considering the card. But still a very good match. Angle/Rey at Summerslam always gets plus points from me too, because it's everything a PPV opener should be.

I'd rank Chavo over Edge too. Edge had the better matches, but Chavo was never in his position to have top quality PPV singles matches against guys like Angle and Eddie.

Guest jm29195
QUOTE (jm29195 @ May 18 2005, 10:21 AM)

Yes, very good, show stealing match. Not that stealing the show was a great task, considering the card. But still a very good match. Angle/Rey at Summerslam always gets plus points from me too, because it's everything a PPV opener should be.

Oh don't know about that, it had to contend with The Big Valbowski/Chuck Palumbo vs Rev D-Von/Ron Simmons and Rikishi/Albert in a kiss my ass match. That's some pretty tough competition there.....

i loved the Eddie-Edge match from Unforgiven 2002, some great work on the neck by Eddie and Edge sold it pretty good. The powerbomb at the end was excellent.

Chavo was definetely the 6th man then. The matches always seemed to die off a little bit when he was in the ring, where as Edge more then hold his own against Eddy in their MOTYC at Unforgiven

The tag at Survivor Series is sloppy (especially on Rey's part).

He injured himself midway through the match, which led to the knee surgery in December..

The tag at Survivor Series is sloppy (especially on Rey's part).

He injured himself midway through the match, which led to the knee surgery in December..

I thought he knocked himself loopy because he hit his head on a fucked up bump

Edge vs Angle vs Benoit vs Eddie is very good and I'm glad that's on DVD, ditto with Angle vs Benoit vs Rey. However, based on memory, my favourite non-No MErcy 2002 match would be the SmackDown match between Eddie and Edge. WWE Jukebox better post that match soon.

Guest Ransome

The only match featuring all of the Smackdown 6 (the three-way tag at Survivor Series 2002) was a disappointment, perhaps because the bar had been raised too high and they'd had so many great matches on free TV.

I'd have liked it better if they'd had the Benoit/Angle vs Eddie/Rey two out of three falls match (which actually went four falls) at Survivor Series 2002 and saved the three-way tag for a well-built up Smackdown main event that could go 45 minutes.

I might as well say it because someone has too, but the Smackdown Six stuff is overrated. Let me stop and say...all the matches they had were excellent. Not taking anything from that away. From the late Summer to the Winter of 2002, these guys had a roll of great matches.

The only problem that takes a lot away from it was that it got so damn stale that they weren't special and memorable to anyone other than us hardcore wrestling fans. It got so repetitive that by the time Armageddon game around, the fans all sat on their hands for Benoit/Guerrero. Paul Heyman and the writing team just exposed it so much that it got blah. The Angle/Benoit stuff in early 2003 was really good, but I think a little bit was taken away from that because they did it so much.

With that said...I'd probably have to go with Benoit/Angle at Rumble 2003 just because it had such an impact on me because I saw it live in Boston. I have most of the 6 did on tape in late 2002, so I go back every once in a while and watch how week in and week out they would go and have great matches. I do respect them for that.

Angle v. Rey - Summerslam

Edge v. Eddie (No DQ) - Smackdown

I still love these two up to this day myself. :headbang:

I'm partial to eddie-edge at unforgiven simply cuz I was there live (as well as angle-benoit) The LA crowd actually got way into this. Eddie came off as the face due to the largely latino-populated crowd (plus me cheering cuz Eddie rulz). The finish was sweet, the powerbomb looked brutal live as I was in the crowd behind the SD announcers and that turnbuckle corner.

Plus in the no-dq match Edge screwed up the Edgecution off the ladder (In fact whenever they reshowed the match, on the weekend shows or the year end-Raw, they showed it from a different angle to make it look better)

I think the Fatal Four way to determine the #1 contender on Smackdown was the best match they ever had, including the matches mentioned in the first post.

Even though Benoit and Eddie did their part, the majority of the match ws Edge and Angle, and it was terrific. I was rooting for Angle, and there were at least 10 or 12 near falls where I honestly believed that he was losing the match. When Angle finally hit the Angle Slam off the top rope, it was just orgasmic.

I too had that match recorded, and I probably watched it at least 15 or 20 times, and every time, it was still terrific. I finally did lose it when we switched satellite receivers, but for a match that never got that much credit, that Fatal Four Way was a timeless classic.

Guest jm29195
I too had that match recorded, and I probably watched it at least 15 or 20 times, and every time, it was still terrific. I finally did lose it when we switched satellite receivers, but for a match that never got that much credit, that Fatal Four Way was a timeless classic.

If you want a copy of that match it's included as an extra on the Armageddon 02 dvd

Angle/Benoit vs. Eddy/Chavo in the semis of the Tag Title tournament is friggin awesome and is extremely overlooked. The teased Eddy/Benoit reunion at the end that gets sealed with the chairshot friggin rules. Two heel teams, but the crowd is REALLY into Benoit because the match is in Canada. One of the better matches I remember from that era, and it might be better than the No Mercy tag.

Guest *KNK*

I will have to agree with the praise the four way dance is getting here. I felt it was the most stand out match during this period.

A lot of the work during this period tend to wash away and struggles to have identity considering it was repeated consistantly and often was identical. It suffered at the end because of the fact those six alternated for about 4 months in every possible way.

Guest Rrrsh

I am torn between the 2/3 falls and the 4 way as too whats my favorite.

Edge REALLY made a great sympathetic Babyface, and I think it was his best single performance. I dont know if its his best match ever, but I think his best performance.

The 2/3 Falls was everything I love in Tag matches. The flow was unbelivable, great Double Team work, Awesone falls and near falls, little meaningless parts and very small amounts of rest spots.

I am truly torn.

Angle/Benoit vs. Eddy/Chavo in the semis of the Tag Title tournament is friggin awesome and is extremely overlooked. The teased Eddy/Benoit reunion at the end that gets sealed with the chairshot friggin rules. Two heel teams, but the crowd is REALLY into Benoit because the match is in Canada. One of the better matches I remember from that era, and it might be better than the No Mercy tag.

Actually the crowd was really into Angle, not Benoit.

Everyone was going crazy for Angle the entire match