TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan4Ever

ECW One Night Stand matches announced

Tracey Smothers said he and Tommy Rich were going to be on the show, and neither are listed.

I also was wondering about the theme music issue. WWE will probably use the authentic wrestlers music at the PPV and then dub it out with production garbage on the DVD.

How can you have Tommy Dreamer enter an ECW match without Man In The Box? Or The Sandman without Enter Sandman?

Plus, the guy's a former referee so he can take a very nice looking bump if you ever need him to.

Not just a bump mind you. The guy can take one hell of a bloody beating if he must. Beulah McGillicutty found that out.

What are the chances of everyone being able to have their ECW theme music?

I'm pretty sure WWE can use whatever song they want on the live airing and don't have to pay anything.

But in all likelihood, if that happens, it would just get dubbed over on the DVD release because then they would have to pay royalties.

I'm actually surprised...the line up for One Night Stand actually looks really good. I'm surprised they aren't going with Lance Storm vs Chris Benoit, since I thought Storm wanted to wrestle Benoit really bad before he retires permanently, but Benoit vs Eddie should be really good too.

As far as the Douglas show...it doesn't look that appealing to me. Raven vs Sandman is a match that _should_ be on PPV. As far as the main event...Douglas hasn't been a good worker in years, Terry Funk is really damn old, and Sabu is broken down from what I understand. Their original triple threat match was overrated due to ECW's hyping of it. No thanks, not going out of my way to get a tape on this one, I think.

What are the chances of everyone being able to have their ECW theme music?

I'm pretty sure WWE can use whatever song they want on the live airing and don't have to pay anything.

But in all likelihood, if that happens, it would just get dubbed over on the DVD release because then they would have to pay royalties.

You'd think that they'd budget for the music and have gone to the recording companies and worked out a royalty deal months in advance.

Guest jm29195
I'm actually surprised...the line up for One Night Stand actually looks really good. I'm surprised they aren't going with Lance Storm vs Chris Benoit, since I thought Storm wanted to wrestle Benoit really bad before he retires permanently, but Benoit vs Eddie should be really good too.

Since the rumour is that Lance is going to be on Raw either this week or next week, maybe he'll wrestle Benoit then? If they gave him some offence it would lend him some credibility against Jericho for ONS....

Also I'd like it if Benoit/Guerrero is advertised as such but turns into an impromptu 3-way dance with Malenko- ECW style...

General Thoughts:

I will preface this with this card actually had me excited despite their horrible presentation over the past few weeks. So for that initial reaction: kudos to the WWE. However, there's one problem... THEY'RE MOSTLY WWE GUYS! I know that they think that WWE guys will sell the PPV to WWE fans more than ECW guys will, so mixing it up would be beneficial, but what is the guarantee that I won't be seeing a WWE match in there? If I knew that each of these guys would be going in there not holding anything back, I'd buy this show in a heart beat. But. I don't think that Chris Jericho will be giving it his all in a match that has no bearing on his future. I don't think Eddie and Benoit will be going to have a match that will be any different from their last 3 or 4 matches in the past few years which have SUCKED.

Rey and Psicosis won't be doing any dumb spots to risk any future programs they have with the company for an ECW show. Tajiri, Guido, and Crazy might see it as an opportunity to steal the show, but will they? The WWE has a policy that you can only steal the show when THEY want you to steal the show, and why would they want those 3 stealing it? There is no intention to push any of them (at least Guido and Tajiri, which is probably why they'll have Crazy win), so I don't think we'll be getting any moonsaults off a balcony here.

Plus, there is no doubt that the WWE will have WWE agents running the show, so the match layouts won't be like ECW matches, they will be like WWE matches - just with some signature ECW spots and pussy-ass "garbage".

And. Um. How come Rhino isn't in a match? You know that guy, Rhino.. ECW World and TV champion...

ONE NIGHT STAND MATCHES

Lance Storm with Dawn Marie vs Chris Jericho

I like this match. Not for any ECW connection, but Storm has made it clear that this will probably be his retirement match. His first match was against Jericho, so it'll be fitting. As someone who has been a huge fan of his website since he started it, I feel genuinely happy for the guy to be able to go out like this, and with Dawn Marie at his side. It will be interesting to see how pregnant Dawn Marie is.

Aside from that, they could have a "pretty good" match. I think **** tops, and that's really pushing it. There is some neat psychology they could do with Storm being retired because of his back, and Jericho having the Liontamer... but who cares? There is no reason for these guys to hate each other. This is, at best, a "respect" match. So it will be hard to push it for the fans. Infact, the heat for the match will have to be garnered IN the match. The two guys playing it up that they're in there having fun, then Storm being all serious because he wants to win his last match. Storm will probably come out on RAW and challenge Jericho, since the best reaction that match can get will be on Canadian soil. It will be really interesting to see how they angle it.

Extreme luchador action:

Rey Mysterio vs Psychosis

I have found their matches to be overrated (I haven't seen their lucha stuff). Their WCW BATB match wasn't all that good, I didn't think much of their ECW matches. I don't know how good Psi is right now, and I don't think Rey is going to do anything outside of what he does in WWE matches. It could go up to **** as well, but I don't really see there being much structure to this match. It'll be random pseudo-lucha moves building till one guy gets the advantage, them trading 3 or 4 "big moves" then a roll up finish.

A three way dance:

The insane luchador Super Crazy vs Tajiri with Sinister Minister vs Little Guido

I liked their matches a bunch in ECW - even if they were mindless spot matches, they were still really fun spots. I already talked about this above, ***1/2 tops, it'll be fun to see if we'll get a punching spot in the corner with camera movements.

Eddie Guerrero vs Chris Benoit

Bah. This is no good at all. The WWE has this notion that (smart) fans will see these two guys' names against each other and pay to see it cause it will be a great match. But I can't remember the time when the two have had a good match against each other, because it sure as shit wasn't lately. Maybe RAW 2000 (or was it 01?) when Eddie had the flu? I think a match like this shows how the guys running the ECW show don't really know much about ECW beyond who was in it and what the big feuds were.

Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman vs Bubba & D-Von Dudley

The whole purpose of Sandman being in a match is to have him come out to "Enter Sandman" and take 20 minutes doing so. If they don't have that happening, I don't care if every match on the card is *****'s, it will be an absolute failure. Pay the money to use it for one night and then change it on the DVD. I don't really see the purpose of this match, though. Maybe if they had Raven and Spike in there and make it a 6 man, where the selling point will be "can these 3 get along?!", then there'd be something to it.

ECW One Night Stand will feature special appearances by:

Paul Heyman

The return to PPV of Rob Van Dam with Bill Alfonso

Tazz

Spike Dudley

Al Snow with Head

The top 5 guys they list are ECW guys. Spike Dudley and Al Snow got higher billing than Sabu, Justin Credible, Rhino, and Mikey Whipwreck. The fuck?!

For the rest of it, based on what they have used thus far...

Ballz Mahoney vs. Mastato Tanaka. DO IT!!!

Doring/Roadkill vs. BWO vs. Kid Kash/CW Anderson (ok, that team doesn't make sense, but they don't have Corino or EZ Money on the card yet!!)

Rhyno vs. Mikey Whipwreck vs. Justin Credible vs. Sabu

Joel Gertner promo!!!

Guest WrestleLore

Well Fonzie can always pick up his own Ref job he had with the WWF back in 93

Didn't they buy the music guy's (Harry Slash, right?) whole ECW music library?

Yeah, but that only covers select themes.

Off the top of my head - ECW on TNN (Heyman's current), Sabu, bWo, Mike Awesome, Taz's last 2 or 3 themes, and The Eliminators.

It might cover all the songs from the 2 ECW CD's (which included covers of "Enter Sandman" and "Walk") - so they might end up using those for the Pay Per View.

Yeah, Benoit vs. Eddie hasn't been a good match in decades.

*COUGH* *COUGH*

Some people get just way too negative about things and distort actual reality. Yes, the last Benoit/Eddie match, which I believe was Vengeance 2003, was just so god awful.

I hope you are not being sarcastic with that god awful remark. That match was horrible. As was their match in Iraq. Eddie/Benoit of late defines "random moves".

Well I agree with both of you. The match from Iraq was really bad. However, I thought their US title tourny finals match at Vengeance 2003 was really good.

My main problem with an Eddie vs Benoit match is that it doesn't feel "special" like all the matches on this show should. With the exception of that match we haven't seen any of these matches in WWE ever (probably Storm vs Jericho, but it was meaningless and four years ago, plus Storm isn't recognized as a "WWE" guy). It feels like we could see an Eddie/Benoit match any week on an episode of RAW or Smackdown.

The only time it's felt special with Benoit vs. Guerrero was at Royal Rumble 2005 at the beginning.

At least for me...I mean, they've had a lot of good matches, but it's been done so much it has no appeal. Like, who talks about their Armageddon 2002 match? Or Vengeance 2003? Ya know?

I don't give a flying fuck what anyone says, I'm looking forward to Guerrero-Benoit. I'm pumped for the 3 Way Dance, as I have Anarchy Rulz 1999 which was just an awesome match. Dreamer/Sandman vs. the Dudleys should be a good garbage brawl, but the one thing I would love to see is RVD winning the ECW World Title (finally) by going over Rhyno.

I really can't wait for this PPV.

EDIT: ROADKILL? *MARKS THE FUCK OUT*

Edited by Nice Guy Adam

Frank Jewett wrote an excellent post over at TOA on Eddie/Benoit. When I first read it, I refused to believe that the two guys could put out such poor quality. Then I watched it myself and he was 100% right. There was no point to the match up until Eddie cheated at the end. The moves went no where and meant nothing. It was like an exhibition match rather than two guys fighting. And there is no reason for the two to be having a match on the ECW PPV, so I don't see that much of a difference.

The big selling point of this ppv for me is the crowd, and what their reaction will be to the show. If WWE promotes this as ECW done in WWE style the crowd will shit all over them from begining to end, and that I would love to see.

I'm fairly sure this show will be a different sort of PPV, true more in style to ECW than WWE. And yes I do hope we get Malenko involved somewhere in there.

My jaw would drop if they had actual continuity from the last ever ECW PPV with stuff like the new Impact Players of Steve Corino/Justin Credible and RVD gunning for Rhino for the title. That sort of awesome attention to detail won't be expected.