TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carnival

What does TNA need to do?

What does TNA need to do to look major league in their WGN debut show? could be matches....anything.

They need to show their known wrestlers in the first hour...Outlaw, BG James, Jarrett, Raven, Waltman, Konnan. At least show them in backstage segments if not matches for some. Build-up a match that will be the semi-main event. maybe Konnan vs Outlaw.

They need to start the show with a match, not a promo, and it should be a match that introduces people to TNA's style. Such as...Skipper vs Shane.

They need to show short videos of TNA moments from the past involving well-known superstars.

Also show recap videos of important angles that are currently running.

They need to have an X-Division title match mid-show. Show a very short video package on the X Division hyping up this X-Title match. maybe Daniels vs Sabin.

They need no in-ring promos and more backstage promos.

If they must have a squash match...then have Monty or Abyss do it.

They should at least have the Tag Team Champions on TV in a backstage segment if not having a match.

The Main Event needs to be a World Title match.

Guest Desperate Housewife

Not have Jarrett come out with the belt the way he did on the FSN debut show

To look "major league"? Get rid of the initials TNA.

I agree they should have jsut been called NWA from the start.

Guest Heppyhack
What does TNA need to do to look major league in their WGN debut show? could be matches....anything.

If, as seems likely, they'll have an hour's head start on RAW they need to shill a huge main event during that hour, to keep hold of viewers and try and encourage folk to skip Raw for iMPACT! instead. They also need a decent match to run over the hour mark - say a 15min X-Div title match with Daniels v Sabin (for sake of argument) that starts at 8.52 or so and runs to 9.07. Make sure people have a reason not to just switch over at 9pm.

You're right about having familiar faces during that first hour. Raven, Jarrett and so on. And use it to build up the stars they need to have shine in future. So some kind of showcase of AJ - not necessarily a title, even a TNA equivalent of a Desire package would do. Some match showcasing Abyss and Monty.

Start from the assumption that your average viewer knows bugger all about TNA, and give them a reason to care.

Getting rid of TNA isn't necessarily a good idea - its become quite a decent brand, certainly internationally. Keep that logo - it looks good - but refer to the show specifically as iMPACT! rather than TNA iMPACT!, play up the heritage of the belts - NWA's history, the names who've held the title in the past.

Some kind of slogan that keeps TNA without being obvious what the initials REALLY referred to. Something like Tenay introducing segments with "You're watching iMPACT! on WGN, your home for total non-stop action wrestling."

Start the build for something long term, and uniquely TNA. An International X-Cup or something. Introduce the qualifiers - two from Japan, two from the US, two from Mexico and so forth. Announce an Ultimate X as the main event for the show in a few weeks time.

Keep the Fox Box style graphics, time limits and so forth, which make the show stand out from WWE.

I don't think Double J should ever hold the title again. Nothing against the guy, but at least to me, he'll never be anything more than a U.S./IC Champion. His character just seems to mid-card, even when he was WCW Champ. I guess it's because he's been a mid-carder a lot longer than he was a MEter. TNA should have its own set of MEters consisting of AJ, Daniels, Abyss, Monty and the Truth. I think TNA should get there a new secondary title, North American title or something. I think Jeff should be all over that one. But you know, if they insist on using a recognized face as head Champion then it should DDP or Nash. Now, don't get me wrong, I rather they not have it cause their time has gone but DDP and Nash just seem like MEters. At least to me, I find them a lot more entertaining than Jarret as far as characters go...they're cooler and can connect better with the fans. However, they should really just treat guys like AJ like big deals and they will be big deals. You want people to be talking about him, ya know? I always remember when I first became a fan in November 98. I had no clue what was going, I just knew everyone loved Austin and the nWo. So I flipped back and forth between shows and the way they treated Nash, Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Hart all just made it seem as if they were bigs deals and the main men of the show. And the only people I knew/heard heard about were Austin, Taker and Hogan...so I kinda jumped into that one.

What should they do on the first show? The same thing they should do on every show: Give the fans what The E can't/won't give them. Examples:

-Give a video package on AJ as World Champ. Make the viewers see that he's the champ because HE'S THE BEST. Have him appear and do a Spiral Tap on someone.

-Have matches for the X Title and the Tag Titles. That should be done more often, even if they're "giving it away"

-Keep Jarrett to a MINIMUM!!!

-Use the first hour to build up to a kick-ass main event, so the viewers are tempted to keep watching. Offhand, I'd say Raven vs. Truth for a spot in the KOTM match.

-Have at least 5-6 matches, and keep most of them above 8 minutes.

Jeff Jarrett in the mid-card is a HORRIBLE idea. It's better to have him off TV than to be in the mid-card. Jarrett is TNA's biggest name, and i agree the company shouldn't be built around him, but he is the most qualified person to be the top heel getting the new guys over in the main events.

They need no in-ring promos and more backstage promos.

thats really what i meant by this. Under no circumstances should Jarrett come out to the ring and cut a promo.

If he has to cut one, do it backstage and make it quick.

Jarrett in a match would be acceptable...maybe putting styles over in the ME.

Jarrett getting rid of a 6 year old gimmick that hasn't worked a lick in getting him over would be a good start. Even if people only remember him from his stint at the tail end of WCW, it'll still be, in their minds, a four year old gimmick, and TNA don't want people tuning in, seeing Jarrett, and thinking, "He's still doing that guitar shit ?"

So is it totally confirmed that TNA will start coming on WGN on Monday nights from 8-10, live every other week, starting in June?

TNA don't want people tuning in, seeing Jarrett, and thinking, "He's still doing that guitar shit ?"

I know when I first heard of TNA, I said this. Goddamn, I hate that fucking guitar.

Anyways, what TNA needs to do is show off their best and hide the "crap" (notice the parenthesis). If TNA wants to grab fans they need to put their most exciting, their best, in the fans faces.

Jeff Jarrett seriously doesn't need to wrestle. Let him do a backstage interview, or a run in.

Show off Chris Daniels. An interview, match, something to show the fans that their "Cruiserweight Champion" is truely the best high-flyer in the company.

Make liberal use of highlight reels. The Skipper Hurracanrana from the top of the cage should be shown in videos no more and no less than 4 times. Anything else is unacceptable.

Have Monty Brown cut a promo, showing his charisma. Show that TNA's big men aren't completely bland. In this vein, hide Trytan. He doesn't need to be mentioned in any way.

Use the 8:00 hour to introduce new fans to TNA. Bring them up to speed quickly with some video segments and matches. The announcers, shit, Mark Tenay, needs to be on his A-game.

Do NOT mention WWE whatsoever. When I was a mark I used to think that WWF was the only wrestling promotion on EARTH just because they never really mentioned any other companies. This is sorta impossible now, but they can at least make fans forget about WWE for a little while with some decent, sensible booking and exciting segments.

WWE has programmed wrestling fans to view wrestling in a certain way, their way. TNA needs to reprogram fans and show that WWE isn't the only game in town. Even if TNA is nowhere near WWE's league, they can make the pans think that TNA is with good production values, decent booking, and something different.

No ‘Director of Authority’, no commissioner, no general manager. There should be none of this promotional figurehead position bullshit, not only because WWE is doing it, but because the gimmick has long since grown stale.

Have a matchmaking committee, in storyline, and have it consist of Mike Tenay, Terry Taylor and Shane Douglas. The important part of this angle is that the committee is referred to, talked about, but never shown on camera talking or deliberating. A heel can refer to ‘the match making committee’, and so forth, and say who is on it, but the committee as a whole is never shown. If a controversial match is made, individual members can be interviewed to explain how the match came about, but the meetings themselves are never shown. If a decision about a major match is being made, have a backstage interview waiting outside a conference room, and have them talk about what is going on behind the closed door, and then interview the members of the committee as they leave the room. Tenay and Taylor are the unbiased ones who are totally fair, while Douglas slightly favors the heels, in that he’ll argue things from their position, but without making totally preposterous claims. He’ll be the one making the logical arguments as to how and why certain heels should be in certain matches, so that if a heel is in a major match, there can be a logical and, hopefully, credible argument as to why someone the fans hate is in an important match. For example, with Jeff Jarrett being put in the King Of The Mountain match, it can be explained Douglas pointed out that Jarrett was entitled to an automatic rematch for the NWA Title, but Tenay and Taylor also pointed out that it was never said that it Jarrett had to get his rematch in a singles match, and that is why they made the King Of The Mountain match.

If a match has a controversial ending or a disputed finish, interview the referee who officiated the match, and have him explain why he made the call he did. Have him explain a logical and, if possible, at least somewhat sensible reason for why the babyface was DQ’d or why the heel was given the win. The referee’s are meant to be, and should be, the ultimate authority in matches, and so they should be the ones to explain why this match or that match had an ending that people are questioning.

Dimensions Posted on May 28 2005, 05:36 PM

TNA should have its own set of MEters consisting of AJ, Daniels, Abyss, Monty and the Truth. I think TNA should get there a new secondary title, North American title or something. I think Jeff should be all over that one. But you know, if they insist on using a recognized face as head Champion then it should DDP or Nash. Now, don't get me wrong, I rather they not have it cause their time has gone but DDP and Nash just seem like MEters.

I dont know why but DDP has never seemed ME to me. It just didnt feel right to see him with the ME title of any company. And hasnt he left?

Nash? Nash? Please, Nash is the death of any company that he works for. Hes most probably the greatest slumper of all time. And I know hes up to it, but why is it always Nash and not Hall. I always found a in form Hall more entertaining.

Magus Posted on May 28 2005, 05:57 PM

What should they do on the first show? The same thing they should do on every show: Give the fans what The E can't/won't give them. Examples:

-Give a video package on AJ as World Champ. Make the viewers see that he's the champ because HE'S THE BEST. Have him appear and do a Spiral Tap on someone.

-Have matches for the X Title and the Tag Titles. That should be done more often, even if they're "giving it away"

-Use the first hour to build up to a kick-ass main event, so the viewers are tempted to keep watching. Offhand, I'd say Raven vs. Truth for a spot in the KOTM match.

-Have at least 5-6 matches, and keep most of them above 8 minutes.

Yes, I agree but dont start the show with it.

Yes, and no NWA World Title match.

Damn straight skippy.

Yes, but not those 2. Its a matter of too quick, too soon.

Nods. I would say have 6 matches. 3 between 8 and 10. 2 between 10 and 12. The ME between 12 and 15. Thats a mimimum of 56 minutes and a maximum of 69 minutes of wrestling. They should aim for around an hour of bell to bell wrestling. Send a message to the fans: WE CAN GO LONGER.

The 1st show should start with a kick ass promo. I dont mind if its around 3-5 mins. It will highlight the best points of TNA. The iMPACT style has to be retained, even though I think its a bit loud. It looks more sports orientated and I hate to have to admit that. They should only let people with charisma cut promos. I.e. AJ Styles, Daniels, the Naturals, Raven, Killings, Brown, Abyss, etc... those sort of people. We should get to see people like Konnan et al in the background, but they shouldnt really feature that much, except as opponents putting over TNA pure guys. This will send out the message that 'Ooooh I thought Nash was good, but for Styles to go over cleaning . . .' THATS JUST AN EXAMPLE. They should start the show with a balls out X Div match. Build up to a Naturals tag match on the hour mark and end with a pimped all night Daniels match. They should feature a strong man challange. I like the idea of a match to decide KotM but I cant see how Killings and Raven, in their current status can be justfied. They can be built up too, and fans should see them and say why aint they in the ME and then Tenay says that they have both been going through a slump. Slowly introduced people to the Destiny angle. I guess that leaves Killings for the KotM so therefore give him a reason for being there. AJs champ, JJ has got a rematch, Abyss is Number 1 contender and Brown has been buzzing of late. They should have AJ & 5th guy who is a face vs JJ and Brown the week before Slam. Have Abyss then come out and destroy everybody with the ladder. Tenay screams, how can Abyss lose.

David Rodz Posted on May 28 2005, 09:58 PM

I know when I first heard of TNA, I said this. Goddamn, I hate that fucking guitar.

Its the dumbest thing ever. It makes him look bush league. Why does he need it?

On 2nd thoughts, start impact with it burning. That would be a good way to start. Im kidding btw.

Hunter's Torn Quad Posted on May 28 2005, 10:22 PM

No ‘Director of Authority’, no commissioner, no general manager. There should be none of this promotional figurehead position bullshit, not only because WWE is doing it, but because the gimmick has long since grown stale.

Have a matchmaking committee, in storyline, and have it consist of Mike Tenay, Terry Taylor and Shane Douglas. The important part of this angle is that the committee is referred to, talked about, but never shown on camera talking or deliberating. A heel can refer to ‘the match making committee’, and so forth, and say who is on it, but the committee as a whole is never shown. If a controversial match is made, individual members can be interviewed to explain how the match came about, but the meetings themselves are never shown. If a decision about a major match is being made, have a backstage interview waiting outside a conference room, and have them talk about what is going on behind the closed door, and then interview the members of the committee as they leave the room. Tenay and Taylor are the unbiased ones who are totally fair, while Douglas slightly favors the heels, in that he’ll argue things from their position, but without making totally preposterous claims. He’ll be the one making the logical arguments as to how and why certain heels should be in certain matches, so that if a heel is in a major match, there can be a logical and, hopefully, credible argument as to why someone the fans hate is in an important match. For example, with Jeff Jarrett being put in the King Of The Mountain match, it can be explained Douglas pointed out that Jarrett was entitled to an automatic rematch for the NWA Title, but Tenay and Taylor also pointed out that it was never said that it Jarrett had to get his rematch in a singles match, and that is why they made the King Of The Mountain match.

If a match has a controversial ending or a disputed finish, interview the referee who officiated the match, and have him explain why he made the call he did. Have him explain a logical and, if possible, at least somewhat sensible reason for why the babyface was DQ’d or why the heel was given the win. The referee’s are meant to be, and should be, the ultimate authority in matches, and so they should be the ones to explain why this match or that match had an ending that people are questioning.

I agree. But not with the people involved. I think it would bring more prestige if you have people like Jack Briscoe, Greg Valetine, Ole Anderson, Harley Race and somebody else on it, like Sting or Lex Luger or Terry Funk. Briscoe and Valetine can favour the faces and Anderson and Race the heals. Or a 3 man with Greg, Harley and somebody impartial. This committee wouldnt be heard of for some months. They somebody shouts out after a match, they are out to screw me.

If you dont like the classic NWA people, you could go for Taylor, Douglas, Lynn, Tenay and somebody else. I dont know know who. I will remember who I had in mind a while ago. Sting maybe? But the person should not be an active wrestler. O yes, D'Amore, thats the 5th.

The referees decision is final. Tenay should emphasis that only 1 referee can ref a match and that his decision is final. Ref bumps should be extremely rare.

Conflicts in the chain of authority should be avoided as much as possible.

Dimensions Posted on May 28 2005, 05:36 PM
TNA should have its own set of MEters consisting of AJ, Daniels, Abyss, Monty and the Truth. I think TNA should get there a new secondary title, North American title or something. I think Jeff should be all over that one. But you know, if they insist on using a recognized face as head Champion then it should DDP or Nash. Now, don't get me wrong, I rather they not have it cause their time has gone but DDP and Nash just seem like MEters.

I dont know why but DDP has never seemed ME to me. It just didnt feel right to see him with the ME title of any company. And hasnt he left?

Nash? Nash? Please, Nash is the death of any company that he works for. Hes most probably the greatest slumper of all time. And I know hes up to it, but why is it always Nash and not Hall. I always found a in form Hall more entertaining.

Hall has always been one of my favorite wrestler's of all time and I would take him over Jarrett if he was clean and sober. Hall isn't reliable though even if he is entertaining when he is there. A lot of marks, like Nash and I am personally not a big fan of his but he does have a ME aura that Jarret doesn't have. I think since I didn't see DDP rise up the ranks and only saw him spittin out "2 time, 2 time, WCW Champion" speeches made him seem to be like a cool ME guy. I believe he did leave. Those are just examples though of some of the guys TNA could bring back if they wanted. I rather they just start fresh and water down the Jarret influence but if they insist on pushing a familiar face, I think others would fit better than Jarret.

I think they need to start off with a 6-man X-Division tag match. I'd have Jarrett and Monty Brown wrestle a tag match. AJ needs to wrestle every week, he's their ace, although I wouldn't have a World Title Match the first show. Styles needs to be shown off.

Abyss needs to fight a guy above jobber level in a match. Daniels needs to defend the X-Division title. Petey Williams needs to hit a Canadian Destroyer in a match. They need to have Jeff Hardy on the show and start teasing that Matt is coming in. Raven needs to cut a badass promo. They need to drag out the story with Gunn and James reforming through this show. Killings needs to go solo after that and be a main event threat.

Hard booking a show because we don't know who they're bringing in.

I am noticing a problem that ya'll keep bringing up in your line-up for the first show on WGN. The problem is the KotM qualifier match. The KotM match will have been the night BEFORE the first WGN show. How can you have a qualifier match to be on a PPV that happened the NIGHT BEFORE!!!! lol :lol: Just something that ya'll overlooked. I just had to say something cuz ya'll have been talking about it so much. Other than that, the rest looks pretty good. :headbang:

Fantasy booking:

Start the show with Sabin vs Shane in either a singles match or mix tag with the valets, the match should go to a time limit draw with alot of pin attempts.

Have Chris Daniels cut a promo on them.

3 Live Kru match against Team Canada with Outlaw run-in. 3LW split up setting up NAO reunion. Konnan throws his shoe at people.

Squash match of Lance Hoyt over David Young.

AMW vs Naturals for the tag team gold.

Petey Williams vs Elix Skipper vs Sonjay Dutt in a match with alot of spots.

Jeff Jarret does a King of the Mountain promo with Monty and Abyss.

Main event with AJ Styles vs Raven with the match ending with the "wild card" doing a run-in.

Man, I would love to see a great X-division match, obviously. Just a straight up one on one match, but to appeal to the spot fest lovers and just to showcase the athleticsm, maybe one of those 4 way or 6 way match ups.

AJ Styles is needed to be shown that he is a great wrestler and be made into that mainstream star that he can be.

I really hate to see old guys, but to pull in some casual fans, maybe the New Age Outlaws and Konnan can do so.

Ha. I didn't realize that when I posted my thoughts. My bad, I guess. Besides, the idea of having a Tag Title match at 9:00, and then letting Christopher Daniels RULE THE MAIN EVENT at the end of the show is much better. Bring back the Fallen Angel gimmick as well, the early one where he's out to "save souls" (if it doesn't offend Sting, that is).

I also like the idea about the Championship Committee. I don't think they should be seen every show in the office like a GM, but one of them should show up whenever some decision needs to be made. Personally, I'm in favor of (NWA) legends, as it plays off the NWA name. At any point and time, you could have Funk, Briscoe, Race, Anderson, Zbysko, Armstrong, Rhodes, Valentine, or God knows what other legend show up to make an announcement on behalf of the Committee. That's what I'd do, at least.

The mention of all these legends got me thinking about Sting. I always thought that TNA's biggest mistake ever was not doing everything possible to sign the Stinger. There could be no excuse for not bending over backwards to sign Steve Borden to a contract. He's the biggest star to never be WWE, and its asinine to ignore him while booking Nash, Hall, and DDP as "big names". I think under this newer, smarter regime, TNA needs to think about getting Sting. He can still work, and I've never heard of him not putting others over because of ego. TNA: if you are wise, you will SIGN STING. I also think the same thing goes for Terry Funk, but that's another rant.

Sting doesn't want to wrestle full-time for TNA, and I don't think he's that keen on working for the Jarrett's anymore as it is. He only wrestled for them because he felt he owed Jerry Jarrett something over helping him start in the business, and once Sting wrestled enough times to 'pay off his debt', he felt that was enough, and he's rebuffed any attempts made since to get him back.

Sting doesn't want to wrestle full-time for TNA, and I don't think he's that keen on working for the Jarrett's anymore as it is. He only wrestled for them because he felt he owed Jerry Jarrett something over helping him start in the business, and once Sting wrestled enough times to 'pay off his debt', he felt that was enough, and he's rebuffed any attempts made since to get him back.

That's what I meant by bending over backwards. If signing Sting to TNA means getting rid of the Jarretts THEN SO BE IT!!!

I don't think getting rid of the Jarrett's would work. If Sting was that keen to work, he would have done so, with or without the Jarrett's. If getting rid of the Jarrett's was a dealbreaker, Sting hasn't made mention of it. And even Sting did come on board, it's questionable what effect he'd really have.

It's a tricky one - while most of us here don't want to watch an hour of Nash, Hall et all, they still have audience recongition value and that's priceless when you're coming right out of the gates.

They have to strike a balance between catering to that (mythical?) casual wrestling audience and their current audience, those who'd be quite happy to watch a two hour show made up of two 45 minute X-Div matches.

What I wouldn't do, under any circumstances, is open the show with JJ delivering an in-ring promo about how he's just won his belt back - right off the bat that'd just give a poor man's WWE impression and that's the last thing they need to do.

So, start with a crazy arse X-Div match, let the ususal suspects go at it for 20 minutes and wrap it all up with a clean ending. Follow that up with some kind of skit or promo or something with the likes of Nash, Konnan or someone similar.

This would be my show.

120 mins - 25 for commercials. - 5 Commercials

8:00-8:15 - The Naturals d. AMW to retain the Tag Team Titles @ 15 mins. Team Canada comes out after the match... CANADIAN DESTROYER to Chase Stevens!!

8:15-8:20 - Commercial #1

8:20-8:25 - AJ Styles hype video, showing why he is the world champion and why he's the best. Showing clips from the King of the Mountain. 5 mins.

8:25-8:32 - World Title Match Promo Announced by Dusty, with AJ Styles & Raven & Jeff Jarrett - 12 mins Overall

8:32-8:35 - Lance Hoyt d. Sonjay Dutt via pinfall @ 3 minutes. Dutt gets in a few high spots, but Hoyt is ultimately the bigger, better man.

Hype Picture for World Title Match

8:35-8:40 - Commerical #2

8:40-8:46 - The Outlaw d. Konnan via pinfall @ 4 minutes after BG James interferes. Killings runs out to make the save but is beaten down by the Outlaws. (Overall - 6 mins)

8:46-8:49 - Christopher Daniels hypes the upcoming X-Division Gaunlet, as he will face the winner at the end for the X-Division Championship. 3 mins

Hype picture for World Title Match.

8:49-8:54 - Commercial #3

8:55-9:21 - 4 Man Gaunlet.

Michael Shane d. Elix Skipper via pinfall @ 8 minutes.

Michael Shane d. Shark Boy via pinfall @ 3 minutes.

Sean Waltman d. Michael Shane via pinfall @ 5 minutes.

Petey Williams d. Sean Waltman via pinfall @ 7 minutes.

- The Naturals come out, with AMW closely behind and beat up Williams for the earlier attack. A-1, Young, and Roode come out to help Petey.

Hype for World Title Match.

9:21-9:26 - Commercial #4

Hype for World Title Match.

9:26-9:40 - Christopher Daniels comes out bragging that he doesnt have to defend his title now because Williams is to hurt to continue after the tag team brawl. Enter Chris Sabin's music. Sabin says Daniels will defend his title, against Chris Sabin himself! Daniels agrees. X-Division Title!!!

Christopher Daniels d. Chris Sabin via pinfall @ 11 minutes.

9:40-9:42 - Monty Brown d. Mikey Batts via pinfall @ 1 minute. Squash. Abyss comes out and we get a staredown between the two huge men.

9:42-9:47 - WORLD TITLE MATCH IS NEXT HYPE

9:43-9:48 - Commercial Break #5

9:48-10:05 - AJ Styles d. Raven & Jeff Jarrett @ 15 minutes via Styles Clash on Raven (with pinfall) following The Raven Effect on Jarrett. Clean Finish to the end the show, even with a little overrun. If WGN doesnt like the overrun idea, crack 2 or 3 minutes off the opener, and give it to this match.

that would be my show.