TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

The ECW ONS Thread

``Benoit and Guerrero is a Japanese style match. They're not going have a WWE style match. They're going to implore the style that made them popular in ECW.

Thank god. This needed to be said. I was going to get it anyway of course but now I don't have to worry about every match being WWE style. Just from the card we know, Storm vs Jericho, Benoit vs Guerrero, Tanaka vs [see Spoiler Thread], Psicosis vs Mysterio, Super Crazy vs Little Guido vs Tajiri, and a 10 min RVD shoot, when was the last time a card was this good? Styles commentating, 4 big surprises.. I can't remember being this hyped up for a PPV in a long long time. And the funny part is there's no storyline for ANY match. It's like the complete opposite of WWE.

Even if he can only go for five minutes and has to wrestle one-legged please let him win the ECW title. IMPROMPTU MATCH~! Ok so it may make Rhyno look like a pussy for not being able to beat an injured guy but fuck it, I say it's worth it. By the time the next ECW show rolls around RVD will be fit and healthy.

Even if he can only go for five minutes and has to wrestle one-legged please let him win the ECW title. IMPROMPTU MATCH~! Ok so it may make Rhyno look like a pussy for not being able to beat an injured guy but fuck it, I say it's worth it.

I hope this is one of the 4 big suprises.

OFF TOPIC:  I haven't read this anywhere, but maybe someone has an answer.  Has WWE made any sort of statement in regards to signing some of the talent theyre using on the show, or are the outside-workers strictly working for one night only?  I would LOVE to see Tanaka, Awesome, Mahoney, even Sandman signed to a deal of some sort.

I don't think the WWE even wants Tanaka, Awesome, Mahoney and Sandman. They are either too old to really go out there and have a match each week or they just don't fit the WWE style. Awesome could have been huge but not anymore, Mahoney is old, Tanaka doesn't fit WWE and Sandman is old as well. They signed Super Crazy, Psicosis though.

Everything doesn't add up. The PPV is expected to be heavily edited on the UK PPV, expected to have a genuine shoot interview by Rob Van Dam, and several surprises that only ECW fans could appreciate.

How could Vince and Dunn have final say over it? Why would Heyman agree to THAT? Finally, what would the WWE have to lose by giving Heyman total control? Either you buy the PPV (because you loved ECW, you enjoyed the hype for it, etc.), or you don't. Since the company already has the customer's money AND since it is a one-time shot, they can book any which way they please and cover their asses. Seeing Heyman's genuine excitement over the past two weeks is indictive of how much power he wields over the pay-per-view.

well Jim Ross said this morning on Fox Sports Radio that if you love train wrecks, then this ppv will be for you. I expect this to be a typical ECW show with 1 match leading into another.

Forever Hardcore is an ECW documentary by Shane Douglas & Jeremy Borash.

Because if anyone would know about the history of ECW, it's Jeremy Borash.

I thought Heyman was just kidding around about that, implying that after all of this coming back she'll be wanting to divorce him.

Guest *KNK*

Here's a question that has made me wonder about things,

How exactly high is Dreamer on the pecking order these days? It's amazing to see how he went from hardly used heat worker to getting kicked off the writing team for being to criticial and "negative"(i.e pointing out the flaws and idiotic booking) to be a mere agent to virtually being in charge of his own ppv show with Paul Heyman.

I really hope he eventually overtakes Johnny Ace

Guest nokia

Cant' wait for Rvd's 7-8 minute SHOT interview....Guess he's back in the dog house come monday....

Do you think he'll bury wwe and HHH ?

Guest *KNK*

You can pretty much bank on it, actually knowing Heyman's mind...RVD will do a 180 and kiss Triple H's ass.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=128...4&PAG=461&rfi=9

ECW leader Heyman said group spirit never died

Generally a Sandman world title win would be a joyous occasion for fans of rebel wrestling group ECW. 

But Jan. 7, 2001, when Sandman defeated Justin Credible and Steve Corino at the "Guilty as Charged" pay-per-view to claim the Extreme Championship Wrestling title, it actually closed the book on a promotion that was born in a tiny Philadelphia bingo hall and went on to become a major player in the world of pro wrestling.

Also, as history shows, Sandman only held the title for moments before he lost an impromptu challenge to Rhyno.

ECW never again would hold a pay-per-view or a live event. The lights went out, the wrestlers scattered to other promotions, and ECW, as a working company, was no more.

When it became clear that ECW no longer could operate due to financial constraints, it ended a nearly decade-long run that saw the company grow from a small regional group to one that hosted regular PPV events to one that had a national television deal on The National Network (now known as Spike TV).

But the spirit didn't die.

Sunday night, at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom, ECW fans will have another chance to revel in the madness with a one-off pay-per-view special "One Night Stand." With help from the WWE, which owns the promotion and its trademarks, fans again will be able to watch their hardcore heroes do battle and likely leave plenty of damage in their wake.

"It has a pulse, and that pulse is that demand from the audience," said Paul Heyman, who ran ECW and now is a performer with WWE. "And as long as the audience is going to demand us, sooner or later we're going to resurrect."

Heyman said Sunday's show should be filled with surprises and unscripted moments such as the first appearance in months by Rob Van Dam and his own chance to address the masses. And while he hopes people tune in to watch the action, he thinks the emotion of the situation will be the story.

"I expect this audience to cry almost as much as I expect them to cheer," he said.

WWE fans already have gotten a taste at what's in store come Sunday. The last few weeks on "Raw" and "Smackdown," WWE wrestlers have been a part of a storyline where they are upset ECW has come back and resent their presence on the show.

This past week, fans even got a chance to see stars that, had they not attended regional independent shows, probably haven't been watched in a few years. Stars such as Sandman, Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten joined WWE mainstays and former ECW wrestlers Tommy Dreamer and the Dudleys on WWE broadcasts to help hype the event.

"I never got emotional before," Heyman said of his time with ECW. "But when I saw those guys come down through the crowd - and I almost got mad about it. They caught me on camera choking up. But it was just a surreal scene to see Sandman and Dreamer and Rhyno and the Dudley Boyz come down through that crowd. It brought back a lot of memories."

Heyman worried some may liken the ECW return to PPV like the NBC show "Hit Me Baby One More Time," where former pop stars return to entertain a large audience for a final time.

"It's not just one hit for us," he said. "This movement still has momentum. There are people craving this, and not as a one-night thing."

While fans tuned in to see violent matches, daring in-ring exchanges and excellent mat wrestling competitions, the level of unpredictability also kept people tied to the promotion.

A surprise fans already know is the show won't be based at the place where the promotion made its name: ECW Arena in Philadelphia.

"No. No way," he said.

No disrespect intended toward the promotion's former home, where WWE offered to broadcast, but he said Hammerstein is the nicest building that ever hosted ECW and would be the perfect stage.

"It has that ECW Arena-like intimacy," he said. "You're right on top of the action ... It's like going into a mosh pit."

That same sense of excitement and intrigue surrounds the future of ECW as "One Night Stand." While the title of the show seems to indicate one thing, the actual future of the promotion could be something else.

Heyman said ECW never can be a full-time promotion again, but he has hopes for more than just Sunday's show. He dreamed that maybe ECW shows can be an annual event with an accompanying tour, but only if it's done right and only if it stays genuine to ECW's audience.

But first things first, and that's "One Night Stand."

"I think in the end if we're going to do this right - I know we're going to do this right - the goal always has to be and always was in ECW, consumer satisfaction and giving them a show beyond their expectations," Heyman said. "If we can deliver on that, I know I'll be fulfilled by it."

JERRY LYNN TALKS ABOUT PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING

by Ryan Nation @ 11:01:00 AM on 6/10/2005 

Jerry Lynn is one of the most underrated wrestlers in my opinion. He is a former Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) Heavyweight champion, World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment) Light Heavyweight champion, and two-time Total Nonstop Action (TNA) X-Division champion. I recently had the opportunity to conduct a Question and Answer session with him, which will appear in an upcoming edition of "All Good News" based in Algood, TN. This is the complete, unedited version.

RN: You've been working in a behind the scenes capacity recently with TNA as a road agent. Would you care to explain what your duties and responsibilities have been like?

JL: I just relay messages to the boys and let them know who their opponents are going to be. I also give them the finishes and if there is a particular outline to the match. I help with any questions regarding putting their matches together. It may not sound like a lot, but trust me, it is.

RN: How did you get into this position?

JL: I don't know if it had something to do with my injury. It was a year ago in February that I had my tendon tore off my rotator cuff. I was wrestling like that all the way through the middle of August. It may have been somewhere around May of last year that TNA asked me if I wanted to be a road agent. I said sure; I was honored. After wrestling with my shoulder screwed up for a couple of more months, I believe I had my last match in the middle of August. Finally, I said it's time to get this fixed now that I have this position. In September, I finally had the surgery. Since then, I've been doing the road agent gig. In the last week of December, the doctor gave me the okay to start working out again. I've been training hard for what I keep saying is one last run. We'll see how long the body holds out, but hopefully it's for a few more years.

RN: You'll be returning to Viking Hall to compete against the individual that you defeated nearly five years ago at Anarchy Rulz for the ECW World Championship, Justin Credible, June 10 at Hardcore Homecoming in Philly. Do you look forward to returning to your old stomping grounds and have you been contacted by WWE to do their ECW One Night Stand Pay Per View (PPV)?

JL: Yes, I'm very much looking forward to returning. It's going to be a very exciting evening. Many independent promotions have tried to duplicate ECW, but it will never happen again. It was just a whole different world. As far as my career goes, it was the best time of my life. It's going to be sort of a family reunion with seeing a lot of the guys again. And…two days after that is my birthday. The entire weekend will just be that much more special as a result.

As far as the WWE PPV, they did contact me. They called me up and asked if I wanted to take Candido's place by wrestling Lance Storm for the first match. So, I said sure. They had to okay it with their people and TNA. I got a call a few days later letting me know that Johnny Ace and Vince didn't want to use any of the TNA talent because they didn't trust them. They thought the TNA talent might try to pull something on the live PPV. I also found out that TNA didn't want any of us to do the WWE PPV. It was never going to work out anyway.

RN: Do you wish it were something you could be a part of considering how WWE is largely promoting it? Also, do you feel the show will be lacking not having ECW alumni currently in TNA appear on the show?

JL: At first, I thought it would be nice to be a part of, not to mention a nice payday. Now that Eric Bischoff and WWE guys are going to invade it, I don't really care because it's not just an ECW product. WWE has to stick their nose in and bastardize it. I don't know why they can't let it be just an ECW show.

RN: The late Chris Candido was the one who called to let you know Heyman wanted you to work for ECW. In fact, you made your ECW debut against him on September 7, 1997 in Waltham, MA. Do you have any thoughts or memories you would like to share about Chris?

JL: Actually, the first time we wrestled was in the early 1990s at a combined show ran by Dennis Carluzo and Eddie Sharkey. It was at the Indian Center in Minneapolis. Sean Waltman, when he was the Lightning Kid, wrestled Sabu and I wrestled Candido on that show. That was the first time I wrestled him and we had a great match. It was near impossible to have a bad match with Candido. He was someone who had a real passion for the business, loved it and gave his all. He was one of the nicest guys in the business. Even when he was messed up on the pills, you still never saw him in a bad mood. You never heard him say anything bad about anybody. He just loved being in wrestling. I just can't put him over enough, a truly great guy.

RN: One of your favorite wrestlers to watch while growing up was Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert. How did he influence your style of wrestling and ring presence?

JL: I never really tried to pattern myself after any wrestlers. I didn't really want to copy anybody. Granted you use people's moves, but I never used anyone's mannerisms. Maybe that was a downfall on my part. I just thought he was very entertaining. He was another one who just loved the business and you could tell in his work. One of the greatest compliments I've had in the business was that Eddie Gilbert saw something in my ability. He brought me into USWA in 1990 and the next year into Global.

RN: You're also working as a fitness trainer. What do you think of your old pal Nova's current stint as Simon Dean?

JL: I haven't seen too much of it to tell you the truth. I think I may have only seen one segment once. I don't know what to think. It's good for him because he's got a job and making a living. It's funny that he goes from a superhero gimmick, not really talking much in ECW, to where he has a gimmick doing ten-minute segments on the stick.

RN: Why do you think WWE gave him this gimmick instead of allowing him to be Nova?

JL: Because they already had the Hurricane. I think they should have just let him be Nova and let those two tag together.

RN. Ace from the Rajah forums asks: Do you think your WWE run would have played out better if you had shown up in the last year or so. Seeing as how in the last couple years guys who are strong wrestlers and lack mic skills and height, such as Shelton Benjamin and Chris Benoit, have been doing better than guys like that were doing a few years ago. Do you think you would have meshed well with the current SmackDown cruiserweight division?

JL: It just depends on what is going on there political wise. It doesn't matter how tall, big, small, if you can talk, and so forth. To tell you the truth, it really doesn't matter if you can wrestle nowadays. I don't know how to say it in a nice way really. If someone is really in with the office, you're in. If they don't like you, you're out.

RN: Is it odd to be working with the Jarrett's at this stage in your career since you really gained some exposure while working for Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler in the Memphis based CWA?

JL: As the old saying goes, you see the same people climbing up that ladder as you do coming back down. The business goes full circle, you always end up where you started. You start out on the indys and the smaller leagues working your way up. Eventually, you're going to be coming back down. You only have so much of a window of opportunity, and then it starts to close.

RN: Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara recently recorded a three disc DVD set entitled "Ultimate Insiders." Have you had a chance to see any of it? Also, do you keep in contact with either individual?

JL: I haven't spoken with either one in a while. I've heard about the DVD, but I haven't seen it though.

RN: Do you feel that Russo and Ferrara had a lot left to give to the business or not?

JL: Wow, that's a good question. Yeah, I would say so. That just depends on what company and what type of product they were making. It also depends on who has the power and if they would be willing to let them go instead of holding them back. There are a lot of things you have to look at when someone is in the creative department.

RN: TNA is closing in on its third anniversary show despite doubts that the company would last three months. A lot of people say there are too many cooks in the kitchen with TNA. Who is the go to person in the company?

JL: What do you mean by go to person?

RN: With WWE, the buck stops with Vince McMahon. Who does it stop with in TNA?

JL: To tell you the truth, I don't really know. In the past, it was with Jeff. Now, I have no idea.

RN: You're a pioneer of the X-Division. In fact, I had the opportunity to watch you win the championship for the first time in August of 2002 in a ladder match with AJ Styles and Low Ki in person. What a lot of people don't realize is that match was taped after the PPV. You had already wrestled AJ three times in the evening before the ladder match. How were you guys able to walk after that night?

JL: That was a very long night. Even the very first PPV of the company, we had the six man match with the Flying Elvises. With the second taping, we had the double elimination tournament with Low Ki, AJ, Psychosis and me. I think I was in the ring close to 30 minutes with all three guys. After some of those nights where you end up having the equivalent of three to four matches in one evening, you can't stand up straight for about a week. It's really fun getting in and out of the car.

RN: Gina asks, what is like working with and around Sean Waltman recently since you two used to wrestle one another multiple times early on in your careers?

JL: It's good. Years ago when he first moved up to Minneapolis, he didn't have a place to live. Some guy was allowing him to live with him. He and I would get together just about everyday to watch wrestling tapes. I think we started the X-Division style back then because we were merging Lucha and Japanese styles with the American style of wrestling. He was just 18 and I fed him a lot because he didn't have a job. We beat the hell out of each other for two years straight trying to get noticed. When we finally went to Japan, they made us a tag team. It worked and so we tagged together for a year. Finally, he got the call up to the Fed. Since then, we haven't stepped in the ring together in over ten years. I'm really excited to see him back and we've talked. We would like them to make a big deal if we ever step in the ring together again and explain our history together.

RN: Are you content with where you are right now in the sport?

JL: No. This injury really set me back. Most wrestlers would understand this. When you're hurt and can't do what you love, you're totally miserable. To put it blatantly: Life just sucks. I still have some goals I want to accomplish in my career. March marked my seventeenth year in wrestling and I'm not getting any younger. The body is pretty banged up. I have a list of injuries just as long as Cactus's…I think. I'm tempted to change my last name to Knievel. I'm just going to try to last a few more years so I can accomplish a few more goals I've set for myself.

RN: What are those goals?

JL: I don't know if one will ever happen, but it is to wrestle on a WWE PPV. I never got to when I was there. If they do another ECW one, I think they'll want me to work RVD of course…we'll see. I've also never had a cage match; I would like to have one. Initially, I wanted it to be with Justin Credible this weekend. Since TNA recently had a PPV filled with cage matches, I thought why bother. Let's wait a while.

RN: You're telling me you've never been in a cage match whatsoever?

JL: I was in a battle royal cage match once, but that's not the same as a singles. I want it to mean something. I don't want it to be thrown together just for a cage match. I want it to be in a big heated feud.

RN: You and RVD in a cage match, would it work?

JL: I don't think our feud would call for it. I think I would rather do something like that with Justin Credible. I don't want it to be a double face match. It would have to be a good guy/bad guy match and have a lot of emotion. Otherwise, what's the point of going out to risk your neck like that?

RN: If you could have another match with RVD, would it be like your basic matches you had in ECW?

JL: Basic? Those matches took years off my life!

RN: Okay, wrong choice of words. I guess I'm trying to say pure wrestling and emotion…

JL: We kicked it up a notch and make it extreme wrestling. We did have a lot of chair shots. We also went through tables, rails, and you name it. If we ever wrestled, it would be like an ECW match.

RN: What advice would you give to someone trying to break into the sport in any capacity?

JL: Make sure you finish school. Go to college, finish it and make sure you have something to fall back on. You never know in this sport whether you're going to get hurt very seriously and have your career end at any time. I'll also tell them what the guy who trained me said. Don't get into this business thinking you're going to be the next Hulk Hogan, be a big superstar and a multimillionaire. Chances are that's not going to happen. There are only so many places to make a living in this business. Nowadays, there are probably tens of thousands of people wanting to be a wrestler on the indy scene. So, you're probably not going to make too much money in this business.

RN: If wrestling had not have worked out, what would you be?

JL: I would be a lead singer in a death metal band. My wife just said, "and single!"

RN: Kamala vs. Jeremy Borash, who comes out on top?

JL: I guess I would have to say Kamala. I don't think there would be anything left of Jeremy except a grease spot.

RN: You mentioned death metal so I have to ask: Jerry Lynn vs. Glenn Danzig, who wins?

JL: Me because Glenn Danzig's music isn't hard enough for me. The stuff I listen to makes him sound like the Vienna Boys Choir.

RN: What do you listen to?

JL: Blood Red Throne, Behemoth, Infestation, All Shall Perish, Dying Fetus, All Out War, Kreator, and My Darkest Hate. Those are just a few.

RN: Good ole family entertainment, eh? What got you into death metal? A lot of people may read this and think, but he's from Minnesota…

JL: There's a metal scene in Minnesota. Actually, one of my best friends is in the best death metal band in Minneapolis called Demonicon. Anyway, I met a guy working in a warehouse who was a drummer in a death metal band called Cromlech. I watched him play one night. I just sort of started getting into it. When I was working at a casino, I met my buddy in Demonicon. We would go hit whatever concerts came to town. He introduced me to the singer for Anal Blast who had a Nightfall Records store in Minneapolis and Chicago. I would get fanzines from him and go there to buy cds. I have slowly built and built, plus I have connections here and there.

RN: What is the reaction from the boys and your wife when they pick up one of your cds and read Anal Blast?

JL: Well, I take it easy on her because she doesn't like it. Half of WCW was afraid of me because of the music I listened too. I once put the headphones on Jeff Jones in ECW and said check this out. He takes them off and says now I feel like killing someone. I said this is what keeps me from killing someone. It helps me to vent my frustration. If I don't get my metal time, I start getting cranky.

RN: What do you think one of the biggest misconceptions is of death metal and the people who listen to it?

JL: One of the big misconceptions is that it's just noise, not music and takes no talent. It's not true when anyone of these death metal musicians can play any style of music. You tell a country musician to play death metal, there's no way. It's too fast and they don't have the stamina for it. Another one is that people who listen to it are vagrants of society. Really, they are just normal everyday people who have different interests.

RN: What about bands like KMFDM and Type O Negative?

JL: Yeah, I like them. I like a lot of industrial such as Skinny Puppy and Leaether Strip.

RN: In closing, can you give me an update on the status of www.jerrylynn.com?

JL: It's up but not fully functionally. It will be soon though although you can check out the very cool intro for the time being.

RN: Thanks and good luck with Hardcore Homecoming.

JL: You're welcome.

Guest Brian

There's been a lot of different topics and such popping up so I want to condense everything to a single thread.

Guest Coffey
``Benoit and Guerrero is a Japanese style match. They're not going have a WWE style match. They're going to implore the style that made them popular in ECW.

Thank god. This needed to be said. I was going to get it anyway of course but now I don't have to worry about every match being WWE style.

Heh. You can look forward to Guerrero taking a Bomb then.

I live in Buffalo - Damon's in Williamsville is a WWE Blast area showing the PPV.

Anyone feel like meeting up?

I haven't felt this obligated to watch a PPV in quite a while.

With Heyman stating repeatedly that this is not a restart of the ECW brand, I started thinking about the One Night Stand title.

*braces for Captain Obvious namecalling*

I think with the WWE involvement, the ppv title means something different. One Night Stand, at first, I think was meant as a double entendre in regards to the excitement of a sexual One Night Stand. One Night Stand also was an appropriate title because so far as we know, this is a one shot deal.

With WWE involvement now, the title One Night Stand could be meant to mean ECW's One Night Stand AGAINST the WWE. To stick up for ECW's principals and what have you. I think that is the theme. While I think it's proposterous to think they will relaunch the brand, I could see them forming a faction of some sorts and running with an angle on one or both main WWE shows.

Thoughts? Insults?

He didn't start shooting until he stopped being pushed and realized he wasn't ever going to get a push. Maybe WWE will look at this and see that he can talk and think about doing less scripted interviews.

Guest *KNK*
RVD's doing a shoot interview?

Does he want to be fired or something? Seriously. Half the reason you're not getting pushed is because you keep shooting on the company, Rob.

I dont think he cares anymore. He gets his paycheck and runs his store. He's set. What can he say that he hasnt already said towards the company and Triple H. Another reason why i think this is a swerve.

I just read this in the Torch's article on The Rise and Fall DVD (the article is up on their website now):

"McMahon was actually at a professional low point when he looked to Heyman for help, actually bringing Heyman in to help write TV shows even when ECW was still in business."

I never heard about Heyman writing for WWF while ECW was around. I'd assume he helped with the ECW segments in '97, but I never heard about him writing anything else. Anyone know more about this?

RVD's doing a shoot interview?

Does he want to be fired or something? Seriously. Half the reason you're not getting pushed is because you keep shooting on the company, Rob.

You know why he hasn't been fired up until this point? Because, actually, he's pretty smart on who he insults. He always goes after HHH and Vince's yes men, but never ever insults Vince himself. Sure, he's not going to get pushed because the HHH bashing, but if he doesn'[t insult Vince or Steph even, he's not getting fired.

And I don't think it'll be all bitter. Yeah, part of it will, but I think alot of it will be him being all emotional, which would definately be a first for him.

oh 1 more thing JR said this morning is that this ECW will probally be a 1 time thing but the storyline will continue on Smackdown and Raw.

Not sure what that ment since it's a "1 time thing"

Guest Brian

It means he doesn't think the show will do a good enough number to justify a second show.