GreatWhiteNope

One and Only "ECW: One Night Stand" Thread

Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"

• Good
    • Mediocre
    • Bad

You know what would be truly glorious though? ECW invading Raw soon and beating the everloving shit out of HHH. God let it happen. It won't most likely but it'd be great if it did.

They have to capitalise on this. They just HAVE to.

Either that, or fire RVD and Heyman. Do it, go on. Because if they do that, then those two are the two guys that are going to bring about the new #2 promotion in North America.

I cant even imagine what the backstage was like at this show and even to a degree what is being discussed by WWE highers up like Vince and etc right now, in reference to this show. If they didnt see magic here, and if they dont follow up tomorrow in some form, then they all are truly inside their own little WWE bubble way too deep to escape out of it.

I can't fucking wait to hear all the news from WWE Land based from this ppv - it's GOTTA change viewpoints, opinions and the future of the WWE conglomerant as a whole. At this point I wouldnt even be shocked to see Vince at least consider WWE as a whole eliminating the brand extension and bringing back ECW full time.

Vengeance will no way, no how, get a better buy rate than this.

Just saw Awesome-Tanaka again on the replay, what a fucking match. Commentary during it just as good as the action - Foley was putting over Awesome huge near the end when at first, both Foley and Styles were somewhat burying the guy (understandably so in a way).

Guest jumpingbombangel
Sometimes it takes a vicious crowd to point out things like this, stuff like the 619 being a lame finisher.  It's something I think most people deep down KNEW but no one really felt like mentioning until this show.

Crowds need to start being more vicious. Rey Rey getting shit on was GREAT because it showed the WWE that just because 13 year old Make-a-Wish cancer victims love the 619 doesn't mean that Joe Budweiser who cut his teeth on, say, Steamboat/Savage is gonna stand up and cheer too.

The WWE did a great job of alienating their older fans for newer and dumber fans who are too new to wrestling to bitch. That pisses me off because I feel like I was robbed of my enjoyment, and therefore I want the crowds to feel as pissy and robbed as I do about wrestling. That's why I dug this crowd the most.

I'd just like to show a little appreciation for Joey Styles as well. The guy went out there, announced his ass off, and picked up on the loose threads of ECW like it was just yesterday (specifically Mike Awesome). Plus him calling Bischoff, "The worst goddamn color man I've ever heard!" and going quasi-shoot on Edge was classic. He really made it seem like an ECW event and was obviously loving being back where he belongs.

They have to capitalise on this.  They just HAVE to.

Why? There's no need for another show. This was an awesome sendoff to ECW, and there's no need at all to go beyond this. Anything after this is just a bastardization done simply for the money.

I was shocked that Styles buried Awesome that much. Ive got Heatwave 98, so I know what these guys can do, and god did they get it done tonight. Just a brilliant match by Awesome and Tanaka. OK guys, star ratings? Moving past the fact that it was a bad match for the two of them, Id say Eddie and Benoit's was *3/4. Jericho-Storm was about ***1/4, The International Three Way was about **1/2, The Hardcore Tag Match was a *** spotfest, and Awesom-Tanaka was about ***3/4, but Im being generous.

Say what you will about Heyman (and I know there are always those who loathe the guy) but god damn, when he comes out to address the crowd on this ppv, that is one of the most memorable and emotional ECW moments fucking ever. If this truly is it for him (and make no mistake, Vince might very well let him go if that HHH comment hit a nerve with certain people) he sure as fuck went out with a bang.

The only thing with continuing it was the stuff Styles/Heyman said just made it seem like this WAS a One Night Stand and nothing more.

But again, if this ends up showing as good on the number sheets as it was of a show, things will rapidly change.

Guest FoodStampGuru

At the sportsbar I was at, nobody really rememberd Awesome being in WWE. Alot of people were asking why he isnt in the WWE now.

Why? There's no need for another show. This was an awesome sendoff to ECW, and there's no need at all to go beyond this. Anything after this is just a bastardization done simply for the money.

The fuck is your problem? This is the kinda of event that we have all been waiting for, for nearly five years! This was amazing! This is how wrestling should be! Why the fuck wouldn't you want events like this all the time? Don't be a fuckwit.

That was the whole point of this - for Vince to test whether or not ECW is still viable in today's market.

The answer is clearly "yes".

The fuck is your problem? This is the kinda of event that we have all been waiting for, for nearly five years! This was amazing! This is how wrestling should be! Why the fuck wouldn't you want events like this all the time? Don't be a fuckwit.

Wrestling SHOULD be like that yes, but ECW is dead. Any resurrection of the ECW product as presented by WWE would be, as spman said, a bastardization. WWE wouldnt continually allow ECW to be as loose as they were tonight on a regular basis.

You simply CAN'T do events like this all the time. The injuries would be insurmountable. There's a reason why nearly every single WWE match has the same plodding formulaic style. It's becasue their wrestlers are an investment, and they can't afford to have them go out there and kill one another and risk being put on the shelf for 6 months,

I don't see how we can just go back to having "normal" WWE shows after this.

I'm trying to wonder how they are going to even have people care about RAW tommorow.

It's like they opened the box that hasn't been opened for about 5 years. The fact that wrestling can still be the best fucking thing, and it's not bastardized. I keep thinking and saying it, but I just hope they haven't spoiled us too much.

Well then I hope they fire Heyman and RVD, and those two build a number #2 promotion.

I also feel as though the box has been opened. There were a lot of people at the bar tonight who have NEVER seen an ECW show before. They left wanting more. Seems to me as though the market is there. NO ONE cared about the Vengeance ad that ran.

Mike Awesome proved to me tonight that he still has it. He did the reverse powerbomb off the top rope onto what was left of the table, and I thought that was it for sure. Then he threw Tanaka over the top rope through a table, and immediately dove out of the ring onto him. That was one of the most amazing brawls I have seen in some time.

WWE, get off your ass, sign Awesome, and push him!

I've been going to my particular sports bar of choice since Unforgiven 2002, and that place was shaking with people slamming tables while chanting "ECW" and various other things, like "He Admits It!" followed by the requisite five claps when Angle said the fan's mother taught him how to suck dick.

The funnest part is that many fans I've talked to never got into ECW and this blew them away.

Absoutely. All these WWE marks never knew much about ECW and now, if they saw tonight, just fucking shit their pants. Common wrestling fans who, like you said, never got into ECW becasue they might not have had the opportunity, see tonight and they get blown away.

And of course, the fans from the past get what they've wanted for a long time.

Certainly amazing.

Guest Ronixis

I only hope Cena can wake the fuck up to his potential now. And I mean TODAY. His time is ******* NOW!

Because after this event, The Brand cannot continue this way. Because I KNOW, TNA just got socked in the jaw. And they have to wake up too, because they can do much better than this- and if TNA hears and wakes up faster than McMahan can, then Vince's company is in trouble.

I bet HHH is crying. Hes been in the ME for so long and he will never really bring fans to the seats, and He better relize it now, today.

Because Tommy Dreamer and Paul E has done it again- Produced a hell of a show.

Vince, the 90's have called. Its time to bring the heart back into The Brand. Its time to change the Big Man Showmans Style. You saw a bit of what it could be. The future of the business, times 20. Sounds good? Get working. I know you can do it.

Remember what happened last time Awesome was in the WWE? A man named Calloway came along.

I also feel as though the box has been opened. There were a lot of people at the bar tonight who have NEVER seen an ECW show before. They left wanting more. Seems to me as though the market is there. NO ONE cared about the Vengeance ad that ran.

I feel the same way and many others I talked to at the bar tonight did too. It's like, if this all goes away tommarrow and we're back to regular old WWE, Batista vs. HHH... I think people are gonna shit all over it. Fans clearly want ECW.

RAW will do a very, very low rating if they neglect ECW and focus on HHH.

I'm trying to wonder how they are going to even have people care about RAW tommorow.

Here's the preview:

THE DRAFT LOTTERY CONTINUES

RAW Preview for June 13, 2005

People are still buzzing about last week’s shocking RAW. WWE Champion John Cena moved to Monday nights as the first-overall pick in the Draft Lottery, and the likes of Tommy Dreamer, the Dudleys and The Sandman took the fight to Bischoff’s anti-ECW crusaders as the show went off the air.

Although it still hasn’t fully sunk in that “The Champ is here,” it’s already time to brace for RAW’s second selection. Which SmackDown! Superstar will be next, and what will the ripple effect be throughout WWE?

On Thursday, RAW lost "The Crippler" Chris Benoit to SmackDown! via the Draft Lottery. How will RAW’s newest acquisition fill that void? Tune in Monday to find out.

In addition to the second SmackDown!-to-RAW Draft Lottery selection, the main event will feature RAW’s newest champion — John Cena — in a tag-team match alongside Y2J against Christian & Tyson Tomko.

And none other than Stone Cold Steve Austin will be administering some Texas Rattlesnake-style justice in Stone Cold Court. He’ll be presiding over disgruntled Superstars Muhammad Hassan and Daivari.

Don’t miss what is sure to be another unforgettable RAW, as the eventful roster shakeup continues.

Jericho/Storm = **3/4 - ***1/4 ... if they were given more time, it would have been much better. Smooth work, nice paybacks.

Rey vs. Psi = *1/4 - just for the leg drop spot. Not good at all.

Super Crazy/Guido/Tajiri - ** - Moonsault spot(s) were nice, bunch of fun spots, way too short though.

Benoit vs. Guerrero - * - completely random, crap.

Austin promo - Dud

Angle promo - ***

JBL promo - ***3/4

RVD promo - ****1/4

Heyman promo - ****1/2

Sabu/Rhyno - **1/4... good, but not memorable. Sabu didn't blow any spots, thus making this not a true ECW show.

Tanaka/Awesome - **** - ****1/4 ... for the first time in a long time, a WWE match managed to get me emotionally involved in a match. From the first big table spot that Tanaka was nearly killed by to every other table spot afterwards, it was a great, visceral, story whose only flaw was that Awesome didn't bump for Tanaka and Tanaka didn't win with the roaring elbow.

Dudleys vs. Dreamer/Sandman - ***1/2 - ***3/4 ... not so much because of the work done in the match, but everything surrounding it - from Sandmans entrance, to the flaming tables, to the BWO, to Beulah - just made it BIG TIME. Only ruined by Austins involvement at the end and the big shitty showdown.