TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

The One and Only Batman Begins thread

A theory I have on the Joker. At the end of BB, a little bit of time has passed between the meeting between Ras and Batman and Gordon and Batman talking on the rooftop. Perhaps during that time Batman met the Red Hood, who jumped into a vat of chemicles and is now looking for revenge?

:cheers:

I don't know what's up for sure, but retail stores are reporting that the Batman Begins Deluxe Edition has been discontinued and no more will be shipped out, at least for now. To be on the safe side, if you want that DVD, I'd run out and pick it up ASAP. It's still listed on a few websites, but it has also been said that once their stock runs out of them, that'll be all there also. It's already been taken off of BestBuy.com for now.

My local Best Buy and Target have sold out and have told me they wouldn't be getting anymore either.

There could just be a problem with production or something, and it'll be released again in the future, but you never know. It's not available on DDD anymore either, but they do have it for pre-order to be released on 11/08/05, but you never know until it's actually available.

Well that explains why I couldn't find the Deluxe Edition anywhere. Had to settle for the barebones edition.

I got lucky and got one of the last three at the store I worked at

Guest JMA

I just picked up the two disc edition. As for the sequel, I hope they use The Killing Joke version of The Joker's origin.

Guest El Satanico

I don't think they will give Joker an origin. He should be a nut that just shows up with an unknown/uncertain past.

If they do give him an origin, I hope it's simply Joker doing his "One Bad Day" speech. They should also show that Joker doesn't have a single set in stone origin, and he's known to make things up.

I watched it the other night and dug it.  It was definitely the best Batman ever made, and probably the best Superhero movie as well.

One of the best. Spiderman still has it beat as THE best.

I wsa going to wait for my next payday to get this, but I decided to say the hell with it and get the Delux edition anyway. Now, hearing that it's been discontinued, I'm glad I got it now.

I watched it the other night and dug it.  It was definitely the best Batman ever made, and probably the best Superhero movie as well.

One of the best. Spiderman still has it beat as THE best.

I wsa going to wait for my next payday to get this, but I decided to say the hell with it and get the Delux edition anyway. Now, hearing that it's been discontinued, I'm glad I got it now.

Why the hell did they discontinue it?

If that's true, the people that waited are fucked up the ass with the single Batman disc with just the theatrical trailer.

Guest JMA
I don't think they will give Joker an origin. He should be a nut that just shows up with an unknown/uncertain past.

If they do give him an origin, I hope it's simply Joker doing his "One Bad Day" speech. They should also show that Joker doesn't have a single set in stone origin, and he's known to make things up.

I think they will give him an origin; it'll probably be some variation of the whole "chemical bath" premise.

Guest El Satanico

They may give him more attention, but I figure they will handle Joker like Ras and Scarecrow and have us know nothing.

With the ending to Batman Begins, I don't see how the chemical bath the Joker took, which turned him into the Joker, can be fit into the movie history for the next film. The Red Hood is actually a crucial (and really cool) part to the Joker's origin and I was left a little "..okay, so now what'll they do?" for the 2nd film and its inevitable Bats and Joker showdown.

With the ending to Batman Begins, I don't see how the chemical bath the Joker took, which turned him into the Joker, can be fit into the movie history for the next film.  The Red Hood is actually a crucial (and really cool) part to the Joker's origin and I was left a little "..okay, so now what'll they do?" for the 2nd film and its inevitable Bats and Joker showdown.

I don't see that as a problem. He could have still taken the chemical bath, but its just that Batman wasn't there for it. It could've taken place at some point during or before Batman Begins, and the police are the ones that raided the factory he was at.

If anything, I think 'the chemical bath' origin should be avoided so not to draw a more direct comparison to the Jack Nicholson portrayal, which may damage the sequel because of the affection Jack's performance got from the mainstream and casual fan.

Guest El Satanico

Which is why I think they avoid his origin.

Once people see the movie I think the "Jack" stuff will go away. From the small bits known, Nolan and Goyer are taking him in a direction far removed from Jack's portrayal. I don't see this Joker being inspired by Cesar Romero, like Jack's.

I hope they do as I wanted, and posted about, earlier in this thread, and go for something like this with the Joker in the next Batman flick:

joker22fy.jpg

That is Conrad Veidt from "The Man Who Laughs", the original inspiration of the Joker. He was Major Strasser in Casablanca. He's been dead since 1943:

F-28-ManWhoLaughs10.jpg

And just for the hell of it, some VERY early news regarding the next Bat flick:

Michael Keaton as The Joker?

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21542

Other random things:

from darkhorizons.com

With the "Batman Begins" DVD almost upon us, rumours have begun ramping up again about the proposed sequel - mostly in relation to the title. Today a scooper by the name of 'Washington Post' has sent along a good summation report of where the project stands, re-iterating some old points, washing away others and adding one or two new rumours to the mix:

"I've read a heap of CRAP on sites about the film being called THIS or THAT, and that it's going to star HIM or HER, and have THAT character in it. I can tell you that MOST of it - isn't true.

Firstly, this guy, Lachy Hulme must be tooting his own horn. He's apparently known as the "who is this guy?" around the Bat-traps. I don't think he's got much of a chance in The Joker stakes. Paul Bettany, on the other hand, he's definitely one that's been discussed. Mark Hammil? Crispin Glover? Sean Penn? - BS. Several names have been mentioned, branded about - in addition to Bettany - like Ryan Reynolds, Michael Keaton (no kidding), and Johnny Depp - but its way too early to be saying so-and-so has got the role.

OK, next. Katie Holmes - despite what the press is saying, how she wrecked the film and all - will be back. She might not be back (SPOILER ALERT) for the whole movie (SPOILER END), but she will be back.

HARVEY DENT will be in the film. He won't be TWO-FACE until the sequel after, but he will be a main part of the next sequel. At the moment, it looks like Liev Schrieber, has got the gig. Also returning are Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Linus Roache. The same effects team, composer James Newton Howard, the same costume designer - all back.

Couple of new 'secondary' characters (like 'Falcone' was in the last one) here too. One being talked about - Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin. They're working on costume mocks for that now - I don't know that it's for sure that Cobblepot will 'transform' in this one though, or that they're just going to introduce him. They want a (kinda amusing) "Harvey Weinstein" type - but not necessarily a naturally-fat guy - just someone that can pull it off effectively".

Don't expect much in the way of official answers to questions either. In an interview this week, Chris Nolan repeatedly said he couldn't go into details about the sequel.

Keaton's too short to play the Joker.

The Joker should either be Crispin Glover, Christopher Eccleston or bust. No one else is acceptable for the part. Both guys are 6'1"ish, which is just tall enough, by Hollywood height standards, to play the Joker (who is like 6'5" in the comics and has always looked like a gangly clown).

If it was up to me, Crispin Glover would already be signed on to play the part of The Joker. He's just far too perfect for the role to not be the guy. Not only does he have that natural evil look to him, but he's also not a huge name known in the mainstream enough where it would possibly overshadow Bale as Batman, or the Batman character itself.

Plus, Glover's got the Joker's pointy nose too, which is a distinguished facial feature of the character. Slap the Joker make-up on him and Glover will look like the real life version of the Joker based off the old Fox animated series Batman show.

Guest El Satanico

If anyone needs to be sold on Paul Bettany, go watch Gangster No. 1. More specifially the second half, where he shows off his Jokeresque qualities.

Not to mention he's listed at 6'3 on IMDB and is lanky looking.

I must be the only one who doesn't gel Glover for the Joker

Crispen has a soft, breathy almost voice, not boisterous or operatic like the Joker should be, second, Crispen's character's are always withdrawn anti-socials, the Joker's a outgoing antisocial character, I really don't see it, yes Crispen makes a great nutjob but I just don't see it.

Hell seriously Nic Cage would make a decent Joker (look in his eyes) but I say Cage and everyone is worried he'd ham it up worse then Nicholson, and I still think Tim Roth would make a fine choice too.

But of those listed I'd go with Bettany.

And Paul Giamatti for Penguin (shame Guy Pearce won't be Dent, but I like the Schriever rumors).

Guest El Satanico

I can imagine Nic Cage playing Joker, and noooo. Just imagine Joker talking like Nic Cage always talks.

Guest JMA

I'd be happy with Crispin Glover, Tim Roth, or Johnny Depp as The Joker. Ryan Reynolds is too young for the part and still has the "teen movie" actor vibe to him. While I think Michael Keaton could pull off the role, I don't think it's a good idea to cast any stars from the former Batman films.

As for Rachel, she needs to marry Harvey Dent in the sequel and lose him when he becomes Two-Face in the third. It's a good way to connect Bruce and Harvey and show what Bruce has lost by being Batman.