TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

The One and Only Batman Begins thread

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm seeing it early tomorrow. Ebert gave it a glowing review and rated it **** (not that most of you probably care what Ebert says anymore, but I still like him)

I'll say it right now, this'll be the best superhero movie to date

I will see this movie sometime tommorrow. Just not at midnight.

Going to see Star Wars was a once in a lifetime thing. I am eagerly awaiting this movie though and will be counting down the hours when I get off from work tommorrow.

7:00 tommorrow night.

I said the exact same thing, Josh. Ripped from my post at NMB...

- Awesome casting. No one seemed out of place and everyone's roles fit like a glove. Gary Oldman was Gordon. The character of Alfred was full of dry wit and made for many memorable scenes. And of course, Bale does an admirable job as Bruce Wayne and Batman.

- The Batmobile. It works. Never mind it's a tank. That allows the scenes involving it to happen. Were it a car, it wouldn't at all be realistic. Things are done with this bad boy that couldn't be done otherwise. Gripes about it need to end.

- Bale's Batman. I love the different voices for Wayne and Batman. Any actor that's tackled the dual role in the past has made slight modifications to the voice, but here, they're two distinct entities.

- The villains. There have been complaints about the lack of a big villain. The two (perhaps three) selected here are marvelous and great choices to whet the appetites of the audience for what will hopefully become a long-lasting franchise.

- The look is, as Ebert noted, lacking of gloss. Gotham remains a visual treat, but the gloom that we're always told that resides over the city is present. A gritty look is present and most elements have an unrefined look to them.

But believe the hype. This one's for Batman purists and it doesn't disappoint. The large crowd at the theater gave me some hope that this thing can turn a few bucks. Oh, and the final scene had me instantly wanting the sequel. I won't spoil it, but what we see had me going, "Oh shit! Bring on the next one!"

I just got back from a midnight showing down the street.

It is the best Batman movie ever in my opinion.

It's a movie for the comic book fans, but it is also for people who haven't read a comic book but have seen the movies. It gives a tremendous back story to the character itself. You find out the hows and whys.

Even the action movie catchphrases were good. Nothing seemed forced.

Christian Bale is maybe the best Batman. Indeed, the different voices he uses are a great touch. His Batman voice itself is so menacing and awesome.

Everything means something in the movie. It is clever. The directing was top notch.

The casting was great. Morgan Freeman was his usual good self. Michael Caine is my favorite Alfred. He was not wasted in the least. Gary Oldman was good once more, and brought an awesome mustache with him. I even thought that Katie Holmes brought forth the effort and goodness. Liam Neeson was badass, and had great chemistry with Bale.

There's so much to say about the movie, but I don't want to give out any spoilers. But when you see it, you'll be craving the sequel.

All I really have to say is it was the best super hero movie ever. I dont think theres much they could've done to make this movie any better.

oh my sweet fucking God, was that movie great. Best superhero movie ever.

The bits of humor were blended in nicely, unlike the previous ones save the first, the casting was even better than it looked on paper (Caine's Alfred was almost like the Alfred of the Animated Series), the action was fantastic, direction, Bale, everything...

and I loved all the little comic book detail touches, like Zsasz, and Ducard saying "Is Ra's Al Ghul immortal?"

Just saw it. I have to say that acting is great and the first hour is superb. The second half was just normal superhero movie stuff, which is unforunate since it could have been great if they kept the more human approach that the first half did, but it was all well done and was overall a good film.

Just got back:

HOLY SHIT!

I don't want to get into detail right now, but this movie was amazing.

I must ask this question, but am I the only one who marked out when Gordon handed The Joker's calling card to Batman at the end?

:cheers:

Rejoice!

Batman has returned!!!!!

no, I marked too.

Ok, is it just me or were they mispronouncing Ra's the whole time? Or did the cartoon mispronounce it?

The animated series mispronounced it unless you're looking at Ra's Al Ghul as a completely original name made up for Batman. If you look at it as "the demon's head" in Arabic then the correct pronunciation is Rahz.

In 1989, my parents took me to see Batman. Luckily, they weren't shot afterwards. Today, instead of going with my friends, I took my father. I thought it would bring everything full circle. I love the character of Batman because of the movies, but I've never loved a Batman movie. I thought seeing this movie would make my life complete.

Now I have to wait for another one. Perfect. Utterly perfect.

Guest SP-1

That was excellent. I plan to see it again soon. And the ending was awesome.

Favorite scenes:

+ The Joker's calling card

+ The Gotham City chase

+ Bruce's training

+ "I swear to God" "Swear to me!"

+ "There is no other help left" *Batmobile zooms by*

+ Lucius Fox showing Bruce the ends and outs of The Tumbler

+ Lucius Fox: "Oh, you didn't get the memo"

+ Almost any scene with Scarecrow

+ Any scene with Alfred

Guest SP-1

Cilian Murphy rocked the house. And, notice, there's no evidence that Scarecrow was actually captured again, and he'd have a heck of a vendetta against Rachel now.

Edited by SP-1

Guest SP-1

My theater was pretty decently filled. It probably won't do its big business until the weekend hits. Not sure why they bumped the release date up.

Hell given Ra's Al Ghul's history, and the fact that no body was shown, even he could show up later on.

And I thought Liam Neeson was once again playing a bearded mentor who gets killed role (see Star Wars I, Gangs of New York, Kingdom of Heaven).

I also thought the villians' main plan was certainly interesting and actually thought out.

Guest JMA
I demand a sequel.  Right now.

I demand two sequels.

This truly was a movie for hardcore Batman fans, but it will certainly appeal to those who don't know much about the character. The entire cast was great, with Bale and Murphy stealing the movie in my view.

On another note, it was one of the few movies that I've seen receivbe thunderous applause after it was over (the last time this happened to me was with Kill Bill Volume 2).

Guest Smues

He won't kill the fat guy, but he will burn down the building and probably kill him in the process? Oh and I hated the scarecrow when he didn't have the mask. Other than that good flick.

I went to Loew's theater near Pittsburgh. It was pretty full, and after the movie was over everybody *applauded*. I don't see that much these days.

The movie itself blew me away. Highly recommended.