TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

The One and Only Batman Begins thread

If anyone is curious, they can check out the All-Time USA Box Office at IMDb. Batman Begins is currently at #110 with $161,889,333. Batman Returns is at #107 with $162,831,698.

UPDATE: Batman Begins has officially surpassed Batman Returns in total box office numbers with $172,104,000. It needs to make more than $184,031,112 to surpass Batman Forever (but that may be a long-shot).

I don't think it is a long-shot to reach that number. In fact, I believe BB could do just a bit south of $200 million if the current trend holds. It started rather slow IMO but has held up really well despite all the heavy competition. We'll have to see.

Guest JMA
If anyone is curious, they can check out the All-Time USA Box Office at IMDb. Batman Begins is currently at #110 with $161,889,333. Batman Returns is at #107 with $162,831,698.

UPDATE: Batman Begins has officially surpassed Batman Returns in total box office numbers with $172,104,000. It needs to make more than $184,031,112 to surpass Batman Forever (but that may be a long-shot).

I don't think it is a long-shot to reach that number. In fact, I believe BB could do just a bit south of $200 million if the current trend holds. It started rather slow IMO but has held up really well despite all the heavy competition. We'll have to see.

Yeah, I started to think that it would be realistic for it to pass it shortly after I posted. I attribute the way it's hung in there to the great reviews and strong word of mouth. Plus, comic fans tend to see comic movies multiple times.

Guest JMA
If anyone has an extra $12 Million lying around doing nothing, be sure to give it to Batman Begins so it can surpass a movie that weas only good for Jim freaking Carrey.

Eh, I wouldn't say ANYTHING was good about that movie. Well, I suppose they at least tried to make it dark with the whole "disturbed Bruce" storyline, but the neon scenery really took away from that.

Well while it won't surpass Batman Forever, at least its passed everything else (because I don't exactly know how much Batman & Robin made, but Im guessing it made much less than the other three films, because it sucked a massive cock).

Guest JMA
Well while it won't surpass Batman Forever, at least its passed everything else (because I don't exactly know how much Batman & Robin made, but Im guessing it made much less than the other three films, because it sucked a massive cock).

It very well could surpass Batman Forever. Assuming it stays in the top ten a little while longer, that is.

I checked, and you are correct. "Batman and Robin" was the lowest grossing of the 5 movies.

Yeah, I assumed so, because we would have probably seen a third Schumacher film if B&R had of grossed a decent amount.

Guest JMA

Well, it's now official: Batman Begins has surpassed Batman Forever in the U.S. box office with $184,805,322. This makes it the second highest (the original Burton movie is the highest) grossing Batman based film ever.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I just had a heated discussion with someone who thought Batman Begins was shit. This is a movie that you have to watch more than once to truly appreciate. I just saw it again for the second time and I saw alot of stuff that I missed the first time.

Warner has officially announce two editions of Batman Begins which stars Christian Bale, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman and Liam Neeson. Both the single-disc, and double-disc deluxe DVD's will be available to own from the 18th October this year. The single-disc should retail at around $28.98, whereas the two-disc edition should set you back around $30.97. Both discs will carry a 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. The only extras on the single-disc will be a Batman Begins Mobile Game Demo and some Weblinks. The two-disc deluxe edition will carry that, along with a Genesis of the Bat: Batman Incarnations from the Mid-1980s to the Present doc, a Journey Begins: Creative Concepts, Story Development and Casting featurette, a Shaping Mind and Body: Fighting Style featurette, a Gotham City Rises: Production Design featurette, a Cape and Cowl: The New Batsuit featurette, and another featurette on the new Batmobile. Completing the package will be a Path to Discovery: Filming in Iceland featurette, aanother featurette on the Monorail Chase Sequence, a Confidential Files Character/Weapons Gallery, an exclusive 72-page comic book containing the very first Batman story, a Batman: The Man Who Falls feature on the classic story that inspired the film, and a chilling excerpt entitled Batman: The Long Halloween that also inspired the film. We're also expecting an audio commentary to be included too, although that wasn't confirmed within the initial press release.

batmanbeginsr1artp45wg.jpg

batmanbeginsr1artp16ra.jpg

Batman Begins: Two-Disc Special Edition

Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer- 139m 55s

Dolby Digital 5.1 audio- 139m 55s

Audio Commentary with Director Christopher Nolan and Co-Writer David Goyer- 139m 55s

10 Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes

-The Journey Begins- 14m 15s

-Genesis of the Bat- 14m 52s

-Path to Discovery- 14m 12s

-Shaping Mind and Body- 12m 48s

-Gotham City Rises- 12m 47s

-Cape and Cowl- 8m 17s

-The Tumbler- 13m 39s

-Saving Gotham City- 12m 59s

-Reflections on Writing- 1m 55s

-Digital Batman- 1m 5s

Theatrical Trailers

-Teaser Trailer- 1m 11s

-Trailer- 1m 17s

-Theatrical Trailer- 2m 24s

Easter Eggs

-Wayne Tech#3- 2m 28s

This shall be mine!

Damn, the 2 disc SE sounds sick (the good sick)! Nice.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050816/to300.html?.v=11

it did very well in imax

NEW YORK, Aug. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that Batman Begins: The IMAX Experience is now IMAX's highest grossing digitally re-mastered 2D release, reaching the milestone in less than nine weeks. With total grosses of $14.5 million on 72 worldwide IMAX screens, it eclipses the record set by The Matrix Reloaded: The IMAX Experience, which grossed just over $14 million in twenty-two weeks. For the three day period from Friday, August 12 to Sunday, August 14 - its eighth weekend of release - Batman Begins: The IMAX Experience grossed an estimated $203,000 in 51 North American IMAX® theatres, an increase of eight per cent over the prior weekend. The film has now achieved a cumulative domestic per screen average of nearly $215,000 and continues to show extraordinary staying power.

Well, I went out to Target today, they were out of the Deluke Edition of Batman Begins so I bought the 1989 Batman movie. Then I went across the street to Walmart and bought the deluke edition. After watching both, and watching the special features I'm going to have to say:

Movie:

Batman Begins > Batman

Special Features:

Batman > Batman Begins

I wasn't to impressed with the special features on BB, but I've found myself watching more of the special features from the Batman movie than watching Batman itself.

My favorite feature on the Batman DVD deals with a storyboard of a scene where Robin makes a brief appearance as Batman (on horseback) chases down the Joker (in a an armored truck). It features the voice overs of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill.

Anyway, go pick em' up, kids.

EDIT - Shameless Plug!!!

I rented this tonight, and all I can say is that it is by far my favorite superhero film ever, and one of my favorite films of 2005, if not the definitive #1. I must own the deluxe edition. I'll be watching this one many times over.

I blew my wad (eww...dirty) on all 5 movies

It's Batman day as soon as I get a day off from work or from community service fom that time I almost killed that guy (long story..)

I did the same (bought the 5 Batman movies, not nearly kill someone)

Ah, so I am not the only one who can be entertained by the cheesiness of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin even though they're not really "good movies".

On a random note, I still have my Riddler glass from I believe McDonalds, circa 1995.

I have to say, I'm not really a movie person. There's just something I dislike about sitting in front of a screen for a long period of time.

That said, Begins kicks the living shit out of the first four films. Everything's actually believable..and I liked that there wasn't this big heel waiting at the end. The love interest bit was kept low-key, where it belongs.

The only complaint I have is that there's no sequel yet.

Well, actually there was a big main heel waiting at the end, but that's neither here nor there.

Having watched it tonight I must say I enjoyed this much more on a 2nd viewing. In the theater I didn't quite know what I thought of it, it seemed so different from the other films.

A major plus is that here the heels don't overact nearly as bad as in the other films. It was however amusing that they did the same "Heels all team up to do something evil" with the Ra's/Scarecrow/Falcone teaming. The difference here being that in this film they don't share much screen time or mug for the camera.

Well, think of it not as much as heels teaming together. Think of it as how deep Ra's Al Ghul's hands run. He ran things everywhere. His crime syndicate controlled so much.

Falcone ran Gotham, but he was just allowed that position by Ra's. He didn't hesitate when Crane told him that the man in charge was coming in personally. Scarecrow and Falcone were just pawns that Ra's used in his syndicate.

Guest El Satanico

The Burton/Shumacher films used multiple villians in the same way as the Adam West show.

Begins used multiple villians like any non-comic crime film would.

Theres really no comparison.

Well, that's what I meant actually. In the previous films we have the heel alliances set up with extended scenes and they share all sorts of screen time. Here we have a couple of vague scenes with Crane and Falcone, they seem to be aligned but to what end? And then we find out Ra's is involved, etc. Kinda keeps you guessing.

Ra's big speech near the end where he rants about his group sacking Rome, burning London, and almost destroying Gotham with the Great Depression was funny though. What is this dude, a villain from an Eternal Warrior comic?

I don't know what's up for sure, but retail stores are reporting that the Batman Begins Deluxe Edition has been discontinued and no more will be shipped out, at least for now. To be on the safe side, if you want that DVD, I'd run out and pick it up ASAP. It's still listed on a few websites, but it has also been said that once their stock runs out of them, that'll be all there also. It's already been taken off of BestBuy.com for now.

My local Best Buy and Target have sold out and have told me they wouldn't be getting anymore either.

There could just be a problem with production or something, and it'll be released again in the future, but you never know. It's not available on DDD anymore either, but they do have it for pre-order to be released on 11/08/05, but you never know until it's actually available.